The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby dackwards d » 12 Nov 2011, 03:48

Trixy wrote:I noticed... So I bought some Magic cards yesterday. Some of them look pretty cool and two of them are shiny.

Well that's the important thing, that they look cool. Actually, I did buy Radha, Heir to Keld because I loved the art and I loved the flavour text.
That's actually my DotP avatar too, when my PS3 is working.
ImageImage
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 12 Nov 2011, 04:04

Speaking of flavour text, my favourite at the moment is on 'Unsummon': "You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Ahlir
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Ahlir » 12 Nov 2011, 14:16

Yeah that one made me giggle... Quite a few of them did actually.
* Disclaimer: The person writing this has no idea what she is talking about.*

Image ImageImage
Ringo803
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Location: Satellite of Love, Somewhere over Lexington, South Carolina

Postby Ringo803 » 12 Nov 2011, 16:05

Flavor text has always been my favorite part of MtG cards
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war...and other things that are not war.

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.
dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 13 Nov 2011, 07:30

Bleh. Study time sucks. Sanctuary Radio is win. Sleeping is for hippies and old people.
(Back to study I go :()
ImageImage
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 13 Nov 2011, 07:51

You can sleep when you're dead!
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 13 Nov 2011, 08:46

Well the original plan is to sleep once everyone else is dead, but that's definitely plan B.
ImageImage
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 13 Nov 2011, 14:06

What the SHIT
They were sterilized--all 7600 of them--by the state of North Carolina. Mostly they were women and girls, and many were black.

Like Elaine Riddick, who was raped and impregnated by a neighbor when she was 13, who was sterilized moments after she gave birth, they did not give their consent. A state eugenics board recommended that because Riddick was “feebleminded” and “promiscuous,” a poor student, she be sterilized. When she married at 19 and couldn’t get pregnant, that’s when a doctor revealed what had been done to her. "They cut me open like I was a hog,…” Elaine Riddick recalled in an interview early this week with NBC News.

Oh. And the rapist was never prosecuted.

Imagine being Elaine Riddick. The shock and pain and loss of understanding that you were deemed so subhuman, so deficient, that you were not fit to have a child. Ever. And that five strangers, a government panel, had determined that. I doubt I would be capable of comprehending that. Of wrapping my mind around that. Of accepting that.

Could you?

Imagine then suing to have your case heard before the United States Supreme Court, and the court rejecting it.

Now some of the survivors are telling their stories. North Carolina is trying to figure out a way to make reparations for its shameful past, for the victims’ suffering. But that appears to be an elusive task.

How much is enough, really, to account for a woman being deprived of her fertility? Is $20,000 enough? $100,000? A million?

Would any amount be enough for you?

It occurs to me these are questions better suited to a reality TV show.

North Carolina Governor Beverly Perdue addressed the impossibility of compensation, this stab to address the unfathomable, when she said in an interview:

From my perspective, and as a woman, and as the governor of this state, this is not about the money. There isn’t enough money in the world to pay these people for what had been done to them….
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Ahlir

Postby Ahlir » 13 Nov 2011, 15:21

So I played my first tabletop game yesterday plus more Magic. I had heaps of fun and would really like to join in the game some more. If they ever let me back that is.

Image ImageImage
Phailhammer

Postby Phailhammer » 13 Nov 2011, 16:12

Trixy wrote:If they ever let me back that is.

What did you do?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Ahlir

Postby Ahlir » 13 Nov 2011, 16:13

Nothing really... But you know how I act on this forum... That's how I act IRL too. Only I'm a little quieter at first.

Image ImageImage
Phailhammer

Postby Phailhammer » 13 Nov 2011, 16:18

So, you lull them into a false sense of security first? :P
FictionPress stories:
Ahlir

Postby Ahlir » 13 Nov 2011, 16:20

No I'm kinda shy...

Image ImageImage
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Nov 2011, 00:15

Then you start plotting their inevitable downfall?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Ahlir

Postby Ahlir » 14 Nov 2011, 00:40

I plot everyone's inevitable downfall. I'm sure if I destroyed these people you would notice a missing forum member.

Image ImageImage
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 14 Nov 2011, 07:49

Darkobra wrote:Do you have any ice? If you do, wrap it in a towel, wet the towel so the ice chills the water on the towel and apply it to the burn. Lotions help too as it keeps the air off it.

Dr. Dark: Helping you heal the wounds he caused!

I know this is a little late, but this is wrong.

Wrapping a burn (even a minor one) in anything that prevents it from breathing makes the burn worse.

You are supposed to rinse it gently in clean room temperature water for about 5-15 minutes depending on the severity (just let the water run over), then loosely wrap it in gauze.

Cold towels help the pain, but that's short term.

Burns: one of the few things I remember from first aid training.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 14 Nov 2011, 08:00

It's way too late. Her hand fell off.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 14 Nov 2011, 08:02

gcninja wrote:What the SHIT
They were sterilized--all 7600 of them--by the state of North Carolina. Mostly they were women and girls, and many were black.

Like Elaine Riddick, who was raped and impregnated by a neighbor when she was 13, who was sterilized moments after she gave birth, they did not give their consent. A state eugenics board recommended that because Riddick was “feebleminded” and “promiscuous,” a poor student, she be sterilized. When she married at 19 and couldn’t get pregnant, that’s when a doctor revealed what had been done to her. "They cut me open like I was a hog,…” Elaine Riddick recalled in an interview early this week with NBC News.

Imagine being Elaine Riddick. The shock and pain and loss of understanding that you were deemed so subhuman, so deficient, that you were not fit to have a child. Ever. And that five strangers, a government panel, had determined that. I doubt I would be capable of comprehending that. Of wrapping my mind around that. Of accepting that.

Could you?

Imagine then suing to have your case heard before the United States Supreme Court, and the court rejecting it.

Now some of the survivors are telling their stories. North Carolina is trying to figure out a way to make reparations for its shameful past, for the victims’ suffering. But that appears to be an elusive task.

How much is enough, really, to account for a woman being deprived of her fertility? Is $20,000 enough? $100,000? A million?

North Carolina Governor Beverly Perdue addressed the impossibility of compensation, this stab to address the unfathomable, when she said in an interview:

From my perspective, and as a woman, and as the governor of this state, this is not about the money. There isn’t enough money in the world to pay these people for what had been done to them….

I... is that shit for real?
Keelah Se'lai
TeamKill
First Video: CH s01e04

Postby TeamKill » 14 Nov 2011, 09:42

madrak_the_red wrote:
gcninja wrote:What the SHIT

Could you?

I... is that shit for real?

It happened in Canada too. And if I remember my high school history, when victims in BC got together and started making lawsuits the Premier in power attempted to use a sort of back door clause in Canada's Human Rights Act to take away their rights to freedom of speech, or right to...I don't really remember, but shit got crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory ... _in_Canada
WAT
Ahlir

Postby Ahlir » 14 Nov 2011, 12:36

theDreamer wrote:
Darkobra wrote:Do you have any ice? If you do, wrap it in a towel, wet the towel so the ice chills the water on the towel and apply it to the burn. Lotions help too as it keeps the air off it.

Dr. Dark: Helping you heal the wounds he caused!

I know this is a little late, but this is wrong.

Wrapping a burn (even a minor one) in anything that prevents it from breathing makes the burn worse.

You are supposed to rinse it gently in clean room temperature water for about 5-15 minutes depending on the severity (just let the water run over), then loosely wrap it in gauze.

Cold towels help the pain, but that's short term.

Burns: one of the few things I remember from first aid training.

Thanks for that. Burn blistered, popped and is beginning to heal now. I blame my vampire blood.

Image ImageImage
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 14 Nov 2011, 16:52

The one thing with burns is that people don't realise most of the damage isn't done when you first burn yourself. Most of the damage is done as it keeps burning your skin. Hence leaving it under water for so long to prevent it from spreading. Running water helps the most because the water touching the burn is always the same temperature this way and doesn't get warm, therefore helping less.
I personally use cold water, but it's quite possible that cold on hot is a bad idea and that you should start with room temperature water. I would believe Dreamer on that.

The most important thing is that you need to keep at it for so long. People quit after a few seconds instead of leaving it for several minutes, and their burns are worse for it. So next time make sure to leave it under the water for a while after it stops hurting.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 15 Nov 2011, 19:22

thought you all might find this interesting
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Ahlir

Postby Ahlir » 16 Nov 2011, 02:30

I see only the boring people who are not using the chat are on. :P

Image ImageImage
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 16 Nov 2011, 02:35

Skyrim has consumed me!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Ahlir

Postby Ahlir » 16 Nov 2011, 02:36

Om nom nom?

Image ImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”