The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JustHarms
First Video: Conan's Witnesses

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby JustHarms » 05 Jun 2015, 05:35

If you like Serial (I sure did) maybe look into Radiolab or its parent podcast This American Life. I'd also recommend Snap Judgement if you're a fan of the 'story about people' podcasts.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 05 Jun 2015, 05:50

Yeah, I'll probably check This American Life, thanks for the recommendations!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Jun 2015, 00:23

I'm sure one day I'll buy a piece of Pokemon merchandise which isn't a video game or trading card.
You know, to prove my fandom. I just wished they manufactured merchandise that was good quality and looked good. I look at all this new stuff for sale at the American Pokemon Boutique and I think "wow, that looks crap!"

I think there once was a plushie I wanted, a Tyrunt. But it had all sold out. Any other version I could find were awful.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 08 Jun 2015, 15:09

I just got back from Mad Max: Fury Road. AKA Watch The Protagonist Get The Shit Beat Out Of Him For 30 Minutes Before We Let Him Be The Badass

Pretty fun movie. Though I feel I was missing something by not seeing the first one before it. There were some things that felt too obvious and telegraphed. But overall, I enjoyed it. WITNESS!
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 10 Jun 2015, 06:28

Welp, I've just signed up for a winter course at uni. Fingers crossed.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 10 Jun 2015, 17:31

Mad Max Fury Road is one of the best movies I've seen all year, and I only watch several hundreds every year.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 10 Jun 2015, 17:47

Honestly, I think my favorite part of the movie was the visual design. It was really well done in that regard. The scene of them driving into the sand storm and zooming out to show how large it was is honestly something I found somewhat stunning. I found the story a bit lacking (many parts felt fairly obvious to me). But it was good enough for what the movie was. The story was made up for by the culture and world details I feel.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 10 Jun 2015, 23:01

Jurassic World: not as good as 1 by a long, long shot, but equally better than 3 by a long, long shot. It's more or less as good as 2, whatever you think of that movie, which seems to divide people.

Pratt is missing his trademark charisma, Bryce looks fucking gorgeous, the kids aren't as endearing as they should be and InGen are a bunch of morons on par with Weyland-Yutani and Umbrella Inc. But you knew that last part.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 11 Jun 2015, 05:47

Today I woke up and my cat was there, in bed, sleeping on me. So I tried to move (so as to get out of bed) and my cat kind of changes position so that she would still be snuggling / sleeping. I succeded to get out of bed.
Before I got out of bed my cat was purring, but when I finally got out of bed she tried to bite me as in "how dare she scoot me over when I'm purring. For shame"
Cats are so funny sometimes!
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 12 Jun 2015, 05:07

At the school where I work; teachers breath fire to keep students in line
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 13 Jun 2015, 07:01

These new headphones are seriously amazing. So many layers to music I'd never heard before. And I have all of Seventh Wonder to listen to with them!

That said, I think I might have listened to The Great Escape too many times. I know I once worked out based off of Winamp I'd spent 4 continuous months of the first year it was out listening to it (Not including Ipod, car, friends places.) so, when I just hit play then within 2 notes it was like putting on an old, comfortable pair of shoes... It just feels right, like this song is the natural background noise of the world. First 5 minutes so far have yielded no new layers to the song (I only stopped finding them about a year ago to begin with.) but then again, the intro is pretty simple comparitively, once we hit the 16 minute mark things should get interesting with the vocal layering at the least.

Edit: The intensity of the bass during the revelation is like being hit in the face. The layer of Jenny Kareviks vocals somehow made me fall more in love with her voice and there is absolutely no distortion whatsoever when Tommy unleashes his one and only scream through his entire singing career, which changes the one and only "Complaint" I've ever come close to having about this song.
Is it legal to marry headphones? Cause I'm seriously considering trying, mostly because the guys from SW are over in Sweden and I can't get them.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
McGurganatorZX
First Video: Feed Dump #200

Postby McGurganatorZX » 13 Jun 2015, 17:37

Took a bit of a hiatus trying to get my youtube ducks all in a row and working at a summer camp. Nothing like the joy of many little anklebiters harassing me with my own name.

Although, on the topic of conversation, what headphones did you buy, the_lone_bard? I've owned a couple of $20 sony headphones that somehow my audiophile friend says are better than a bunch of other studio 'phones.
"Man, you look like a [Adjective] bear. What happened?"

Twitter: https://twitter.com/McGurganMKII
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/McgurganatorZX
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 13 Jun 2015, 19:11

Steelseries Siberia V3's. $110.
I used to LOVE a $30 (Aud) pair of panasonic headphones from K-Mart. Flimsy, cheap, sounded amazing. And then they started only selling them in certain parts of Asia...

viscomica

Postby viscomica » 14 Jun 2015, 09:39

So yesterday I went with Bebop to a Peruvian - Japanese restaurant nearby. It was amazing! From the outside it looks kind of shabby and like a take out place only but inside it's really nice. After eating we had some drinks at a bar (I get drunk way too easily) and headed back home. All in all one of the best outings we've had :D I'm quite happy with it
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 14 Jun 2015, 10:34

A Peruvian-Japanese fusion restaurant? Interesting. That begs two questions from me, however:

What's Peruvian food like?

What's it like when fused with Japanese cuisine?
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 14 Jun 2015, 17:05

Peru has a significant minority of people of Japanese descent, the second largest in South America after Brazil's.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 14 Jun 2015, 18:26

Prospero101 wrote:A Peruvian-Japanese fusion restaurant? Interesting. That begs two questions from me, however:

What's Peruvian food like?

What's it like when fused with Japanese cuisine?

Well, here at Buenos Aires there aren't many fusion restaurants but if there are, they are Peruvian-Japanese. The place I went with Bebop wasn't a fusion restaurant, or at least we didn't order any fusion plates... we had a peruvian starter and then sushi. The starter was called "papas a la huancaina" or something of the sort (a quick google search tells me they also serve that at Bolivia. Go figure)
Maybe next time we'll try something more daring :)

Oh! And I didn't know there was such a strong japanese minority at Peru! The more you know :)
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 14 Jun 2015, 21:44

The disgraced former president of Peru, Alberto Fujimori, is of Japanese descent.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 19 Jun 2015, 09:15

If nothing else, I learned a new word today: e-blast.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 20 Jun 2015, 15:03

Hey, what's everyones idea of a good coffee? I've never drunk it, but a mate used to get them free from Maccas and not drink his 2 per shift, so yeah, turns out tastes change and I kinda like it now. But, my experience is entirely limited to a late from Maccas with 4 sugars. I got told to try a Moca, something to do with chocolate, but I have no clue. And without glasses,I can't even remotely see the board at the coffee shop, and people here ae snobby as fuck about coffee, so ontop of typical introvert anxiety, there's that added so there's pretty much no way I'm ever going in there and saying "Hey, so I kind of like coffee when I never did before, but I've only ever had lattes from maccas... Halp plz."

So yeah, suggestions? Not too bitter please. Sorry for typos, edit shall happen when I return from shops, bus to buy food leaves in 6 minutes.

fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 20 Jun 2015, 17:47

I've found that people's tastes in coffee is one of the most diverse there is - just go try everything.

If you're drinking it at home I can offer a few suggestions:

Buy a cafetiere.
Drink out of a glass rather than a cup.
Let the water cool a little before adding to coffee.
If you're going to be drinking it regularly, four sugars is too much.

Personally I start every morning with a strong iced mocha sidamo, one milk one sugar.

ps. Welcome addict.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 20 Jun 2015, 18:40

I'm all for trying everything, but like I said, I can't actually see the board at all (I am effectively blind beyond like 2feet without glasses, with glasses I have eyesight so good they couldn't find any more tests for me to pass -_- ) and I only know how to order a late cause that's how 'Rardy made it. I don't know what my options are. Like, I know a Mocha is a thing that's somehow got chocolate. And I constantly hear peoples stories about customers at Starbucks being like "I want a large mocha chai late with a caramel strawberry swirl and a dark choc infusion... And sprinkles." and, I don't even know where to start. Like, I looooove me some Caramel, is that a thing you can do with Mochas? If so, how would I order it, a large Caramel Mocha, a large Mocha with Caramel, do I specify sugars before or after... The Sugar part I assume is down to the store, or simply how you talk "I'd like a ___ with 4 sugars." or "I'd like a 4 sugar ___" but, without being able to see the board I can't see any sort of descriptions of what a drink is. The best I've got is google (Enjoy 40000000 different results for everyones personal favourite starbucks drink.) or the Maccas description for a Mocha "Made with rich Arabica coffee, enjoy a Mocha today!"

So, like I said, there's no way I'm confident enough to walk into an actual Coffee shop and say "I have no clue, whad'ya got?" and I can't get glasses for another month minimum. I'm looking for some suggestions to try out, since I walk past there every day and always go "I really want a coffee, but I could just get a dirt cheap Late from Maccas, and I dunno how to order anything else." Normally I'd just get a basic version of something and go from there, but I'd rather not waste money on something I'd hate just cause I can't read the board. I mean, I love Caramel, I'm ambivilent to Chocolate but can't eat it straight up (sensitive taste buds, it actually burns.) and dislike Peanut Butter, and I'm am too shy to stand around while a line forms asking questions that are definitely dumb. (Though personally, I don't care about the dumb part that much, because at the end of the day, I can't fucking see, it's not my fault. Not like I woke up one day and said "I'd like my effective vision range to be the tip of my nose." so anyone who doesn't like me asking them a question when the menu is around, can get a polite explanation and if they wanna be a dick, go get fucked.)

And no, definitely not drinking it at home. I'd only drink like 1 or 2 a week if that, so not gonna run out and buy a coffee maker, and my grandparents instant coffee... I think it was 1.5 tsp of coffee and about 15 sugars and I still gagged because it tasted like someone had condensed nothing but biterness and that was now a flavour by itself. Never again.

I'm gonna try your Mocha, but, what's sidamo. And do you normally specify milks? At Maccas I've always literally just said "Late with 4 sugars please." and forget to specify milk, so get asked "What type of milk would you like." "Oh right, normal please." and that's it.
I feel like there's a book somewhere everyone else read but nobody ever gave me a copy. Same reason I've never drank anything but a Lipton iced tea. I'd love to try real tea, but no clue about any of it, and from experience whatever is in the cupboard will be the cheapest instantest version and taste like an ass, if I figure out how to make it.

viscomica

Postby viscomica » 20 Jun 2015, 19:07

Ehhh.... I like cappuccinos.
(That's my contribution to the coffee conversation, btw)
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 21 Jun 2015, 01:40

Baristas are generally friendly enough that they won't mind if you don't just immediately & mechanically rattle of an order, I have never encountered any kind of snobbery in a cafe.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Jun 2015, 06:54

I fumble ordering a "medium dark roast, 2 cream" more often than one would think was possible. Dealing with hundreds of people a day, baristas tend to be used to it.

For trying new coffees, sometimes I've just ordered whatever somebody in front of me in line got. Sometimes I check the Internet for terms I've heard thrown around. Pick a base drink you like, like the latte, and look up variations on it that might look appealing. Start small, and add on something to try here and there until you figure out what your tastes are.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.

Return to “General Discussion”