Extra Credits (now at PATV!)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Extra Credits (now at PATV!)

Postby empath » 22 Oct 2011, 14:16

It's not just bad as in sloppy design/execution/research, it's bad to the point of FALSELY done (Occam hopes from ignorance and not willful misinformation).

EC got me hankering to confirm my fears and, yeah, they've got a LOT of 'facts' just UTTERLY wrong about their subject matter. And it's not like they're making a 'feel-good' soccer game, it's a shooter rooted in the Drug War - some serious shit.

I feel like the audience of the first showing of Springtime for Hitler.
(well, everyone but that ONE guy Image )
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 22 Oct 2011, 14:37

Well, based on everything I've heard Juarez does sound awful. I can't give a proper personal judgement on it, as I haven't played it, but from sources of trust, like EC, I have heard the most terrible things.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 02 Dec 2011, 12:22

I just read through all 17 pages (because I missed the boat on the initial discussion) and while I understand that the two parties (The Escapist and Extra Credits) have mutually parted ways, with EC now comfortably at home on Penny Arcade TV, I can't help but think that's where LoadingReadyRun should be. I mean, come on, it's PENNY ARCADE. Gabe & Tycho are awesome, Child's Play is a great charity..

Understandably, Unskippable is owned by The Escapist as an Escapist series, but LRR (and Feed Dump?) are both solely owned by LRR. Personally, I think Penny Arcade suits them more.

Now that I've said that, I'm fairly certain I've been clear about my... Discomfort with The Escapist as of late. The forums there suck, their video series, aside from the LRR content, Zero Punctuation, MovieBob and Miracle of Sound, are terrible..
And what happened to all these shows that actually had decent audiences? A second season of A Good Knight's Quest? Show About Games Show? That one just suddenly disappeared.. (Is Unskippable the ONLY show that has survived longer than a year after an annual film festival contest? Because fuuuuuck.

But no, now The Escapist content is basically just Zero Punctuation, with as much LRR content as they can possibly cram in, almost in an attempt to drag everyone who posts here over there permanently, assimilated into their collective, and.. Lackluster, mediocre programming for the rest! I mean, Jimquisition could easily be on Destructoid, where Jim actually belongs (I could think of a lot better places for him, like every level of Hell ever).. I really haven't bothered to watch No Right Answer or Drinking Games either.. The news team certainly isn't that great either. I've seen many of their forum members questioning The Escapist news team's misleading article titles and biased content, so it certainly isn't just me.. John Funk was awesome though.. But he's in China for a year or so. :/

To the LRR cast members (namely Graham, Kathleen and Paul); I absolutely respect that you are good friends with a fair amount of The Escapist staff and I definitely don't intend to insult or initiate some sort of "personal attack" on anyone there. I just don't know what to think of their site anymore, still think Penny Arcade would be a far better home.. :/
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Dec 2011, 16:34

Without commenting on anything specific in your post, it's not as cut-and-dried a decision as just saying, "Welp, we're on PATV now."
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 03 Dec 2011, 01:09

Graham is right. The majority of IP ownership online is a very confusing and convoluted process, and it isn't at all surprising that bigger companies like PA and The Escapist have legal departments that work with this stuff, drawing up contracts to cover it all. And because of that, getting out of these contracts is a longer process than "I don't want to work with you anymore, so I'm moving on".
MattAn

Postby MattAn » 03 Dec 2011, 02:14

Oh, I know that it would be an immense pain to go through all that, and I don't think it should have to come to that.. But a little part of me thinks "Huh.. Penny Arcade's programming sure does suit LRR's demographic..", but that's just my silly observations. :P
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 03 Dec 2011, 08:46

How does the Escapist not?
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 03 Dec 2011, 08:47

Hey man, gotta targ' the right demos.
MattAn

Postby MattAn » 03 Dec 2011, 13:18

theDreamer wrote:How does the Escapist not?

Eh.. The Escapist community hasn't really "caught on" that well. Granted, most have, but a lot of the forum comments over there seem to be from "Eh, I guess there's this new video up today.."

The Escapist also hasn't been that popular lately either.. :/

metcarfre wrote:Hey man, gotta targ' the right demos.

I have to ask, are you just being an ass to me for the sake of being an ass or is there some sort of "I've been on this forum longer so therefore I am clearly superior to members who are actually equal"? Pardon the accusation, but there's been several instances where you've blatantly targeted insults at me.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 03 Dec 2011, 14:02

MattAn wrote:

I have to ask, are you just being an ass to me for the sake of being an ass or is there some sort of "I've been on this forum longer so therefore I am clearly superior to members who are actually equal"? Pardon the accusation, but there's been several instances where you've blatantly targeted insults at me.

Not to jump into the middle of the debate, but I'm pretty metcarfre is just being silly with that comment.

He has a very, very dry sense of humour.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 03 Dec 2011, 14:06

MattAn wrote:
theDreamer wrote:How does the Escapist not?

Eh.. The Escapist community hasn't really "caught on" that well. Granted, most have, but a lot of the forum comments over there seem to be from "Eh, I guess there's this new video up today.."

The Escapist also hasn't been that popular lately either.. :/

I wish I had the source for this, but in reviewing a product, it's recommended that for every bad review you read, you assume no one had a similar experience, but for every good review you read, you assumed 10 people had the same.

People are much, much, much more likely to remember and/or comment on negative experiences than positive ones.

Plus your very statement that "most have" means, well, they're targetting the right demographic.

You know, nerds.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Dec 2011, 14:59

For what it's worth, viewership of LRR videos has been increasing nicely. It gets more monthly views than Feed Dump, I believe.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 03 Dec 2011, 15:13

MattAn wrote:

He's like that with pretty much everyone. Usually I ignore it, but sometimes when he slides a pointed comment between my ribs and I'm not feeling too great I'll snap at him. vOv
MattAn

Postby MattAn » 03 Dec 2011, 15:44

Tim wrote:Not to jump into the middle of the debate, but I'm pretty metcarfre is just being silly with that comment.

He has a very, very dry sense of humour.
The Jester wrote:I have to ask, are you just being an ass to me for the sake of being an ass or is there some sort of "I've been on this forum longer so therefore I am clearly superior to members who are actually equal"? Pardon the accusation, but there's been several instances where you've blatantly targeted insults at me.

He's like that with pretty much everyone. Usually I ignore it, but sometimes when he slides a pointed comment between my ribs and I'm not feeling too great I'll snap at him. vOv[/quote]

Ah, thanks for the tip, guys. I really don't want any flame wars or drama. Just kinda irked me is all.. :/

Graham wrote:For what it's worth, viewership of LRR videos has been increasing nicely. It gets more monthly views than Feed Dump, I believe.

Not that I was doubting that or anything, but thanks! I mean, I don't think it's wrong that LRR is on The Escapist or that they're actually a detriment, but with CheckPoint and Extra Credits looking pretty damn shiny on PATV, makes one wonder why PATV isn't the go-to source for webseries!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Dec 2011, 17:41

Cause it's not a thing PA wants?
Like, it's pretty clear that PATV is not their main focus. I don't think they WANT to be the major web series destination.
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 03 Dec 2011, 19:39

And it's good for LRR to be on multiple publishers' sites. That way they can reach more viewers, and they get to work in a greater variety of styles than if they were just on one "network."
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Dec 2011, 20:35

Also that!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 03 Dec 2011, 21:38

With videos on multiply sites it makes you sound like a production company rather than a few friends making something for fun.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
empath

Postby empath » 03 Dec 2011, 22:14

YOU make it sound like those two things must be exclusive. :)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Dec 2011, 22:15

Can't we be a few friends running a roduction company for fun?
Cause that's what we kinda are :D
empath

Postby empath » 03 Dec 2011, 22:21

Yeah, what *he* said...except with an extra 'p' ;^)
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 03 Dec 2011, 22:42

Also, being on multiple sites diversifies income sources, which, especially on the internet, is a really smart business move.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 04 Dec 2011, 00:23

Graham wrote:Can't we be a few friends running a roduction company for fun?

I was not talking about what you are but what you look like. I meant that producing multiple series for different websites makes you look more professional.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
MattAn

Postby MattAn » 04 Dec 2011, 02:24

Well, I now feel like a dick for even bringing it up.. :/

Though to be fair, LRR-related shows, MovieBob and Zero Punctuation have kind of been the only shows on The Escapist that have.. Stayed there without some sort of mysterious disappearance. Other than ENN, anyway, but at least that was announced.

I'm not trying to say that LRR shouldn't be on different sites or that it should only be on one site, the way it is attracts different audiences to similar content wherever it is, that's awesome. LRR being a professional (I actually mentioned this aspect in my first semiotics essay for college a few months back) production company run by a group of friends who, let's not forget, could have just said "Welp, we're closing these forums now because we're on other places now, kbai!", yet decided to keep it and still keep in contact with fans and such. Not many other webseries/sketch comedy folks would do that. So there's kudos to be said for that!

I guess I really started thinking more about this after speaking with a few people on #desertbus after it ended. Sure, my first DBfH was the third one, but I could see why people would be disappointed that the.. Intimacy (I guess?) and interactivity with the chat used to be easier to manage. Once that chat hits over 1500 people, it's beyond being able to read anything, y'know?

EDIT: This could easily sound like confusing trash to everyone else and I wouldn't blame you! But eh, tried to make it something coherent.
empath

Postby empath » 04 Dec 2011, 09:53

Lord Chrusher wrote:
Graham wrote:Can't we be a few friends running a roduction company for fun?

I was not talking about what you are but what you look like. I meant that producing multiple series for different websites makes you look more professional.

Yeah - you have a point there; I don't really see any DOWNSIDE to that. Cool! *feels happy for better things for my fave comedy troupe/internet roduction firm*

Return to “General Discussion”