E3.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Bill's ninja guardian

E3.

Postby Bill's ninja guardian » 09 May 2006, 15:38

I want to be there. :(
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 09 May 2006, 15:49

Me too :(
Did Nintendo have their conference yet/is there coverage on the internet for it yet?
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
HMNSHLD
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby HMNSHLD » 09 May 2006, 16:38

Jester- Hell yeah they did. as did Microsoft.

All jokes aside, the Wii is going to kick major ass. The big thing, at least to me, The next Zelda is a launch title. and there is so much more.

You should be able to watch all three conferences at gamespot (you will have to be a free memeber).
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 May 2006, 16:48

I went last year. it was RAD. like a big enormous giant toy store for adults... with toys that haven't come out yet.

so freaking cool.

I just wish I could be playing with the wii. 27 playable games at the show, including metroid prime 3: corruption.

T-T

-M

I am not angry at you.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 09 May 2006, 16:59

Wtf!? LRR Is fucking with me again! everything is screwy! I have someones avatar as my smiley face emoticon! and a few others too! AHHHHHH! And the button for "reply" is the "www" symbol.
Help me god :shock:
Anyways, where can I see coverage of the Nintendo conference? All I saw was the Microsoft and Square-enix ones on IGN.
SamsonWest

Postby SamsonWest » 09 May 2006, 17:12

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo 600 bucks for the PS3, fuck that rocks... YAY....
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 May 2006, 17:38

nono.. six hundred and NINETY-NINE dollars for the PS3. thats 700 bones. not 6.

a PS3 w 60GB HD, 1 controller, and 3 games is gonna run 1200$ CDN after tax. and why? so sony can force you to own a blu-ray player, and offer you games that look about the same as X360 titles.

-M

I am not angry at you.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 09 May 2006, 17:45

Matt wrote:nono.. six hundred and NINETY-NINE dollars for the PS3. thats 700 bones. not 6.

a PS3 w 60GB HD, 1 controller, and 3 games is gonna run 1200$ CDN after tax. and why? so sony can force you to own a blu-ray player, and offer you games that look about the same as X360 titles.

-M

uh. $599?
Last edited by JesterJ. on 09 May 2006, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 09 May 2006, 17:59

Jester, next time take a screenshot.

I really wish I could go.
HMNSHLD
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby HMNSHLD » 09 May 2006, 18:11

Jester- Try Gamespot.com or Gametrailers.com
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 09 May 2006, 18:21

Next time I will ;)
and I just read at some E3 coverage from IGN that it was 599........guess that was the basic? I thought it was 599 for the good one, 499 for basic.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 May 2006, 20:20

yeah, USD.

-M

I am not angry at you.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 09 May 2006, 21:05

yeah, but the exchange won't be killer. By the time the PS3 comes out, the CAD dollar will probably be about 95 cents USD. (It was at 91 today.)
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
SamsonWest

Postby SamsonWest » 09 May 2006, 22:47

by time it PS3 drops we are probably looking more at being on par with them for money
Unimatsuriku

Postby Unimatsuriku » 09 May 2006, 22:47

And now the monthly tradition, one - one month subscription to Gamespy for full access to all video's, then spend the week downloading from their servers.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll see you when the video's download.
Jesus Saves, Cthulhu Eats, choose wisely - Bunny
Fumbles

Postby Fumbles » 10 May 2006, 01:06

I saw the sony press conference last night. You can see it for free at gamespot but you might have to sign up. I haven't seen the nintendo one as it was live at 12 last night and i needed to get uo a 4 to go to rowing and i'm still at school where most of the internet is blocked (thankfully not llr)

Nice to see naughty dog getting back into it but the game they're releasing isn't what i really wanted from them. "8 days" looks good if they're the ingame graphics and "resistance" = O_O. I've been interested in "assasins creed" and "brother in arms hell highway" for a while now. Thank god they got rid of the baterang controller.
"I'd like to say to all the people of Australia - Kick me, I'm different."- Ron Hitler Barassi

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 10 May 2006, 07:05

Kathleen wrote:yeah, but the exchange won't be killer. By the time the PS3 comes out, the CAD dollar will probably be about 95 cents USD. (It was at 91 today.)

yeah, but canadaian price points on game systems are rarely exactly the same as the us prices, just accounting for exchange.

at today's exchange rate it's 548$ for the core PS3, and 660$ for the premium.

so the core is gonna be priced at 549.99, and I'd be willing to bet you that the premium releases at 699.99 just because they can. at BEST it'll come out at 679.99, but that would be extremely ununsual.

-M

I am not angry at you.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 10 May 2006, 07:29

Damn you new gaming systems with your endless expenses! DAMN YOU!!!

I'll probably wait a couple of months before I get new systems...I'll wait until after they aren't QUITE as expensive...
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 10 May 2006, 09:43

Matt wrote:so the core is gonna be priced at 549.99, and I'd be willing to bet you that the premium releases at 699.99 just because they can. at BEST it'll come out at 679.99, but that would be extremely ununsual.

-M

In which case, you could buy a 360 and a Wii for the same preice :).
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 10 May 2006, 12:38

I know.
And that's going to be Wii's biggest advantage: Probably like 200 bucks, instead of 400-600
Unimatsuriku

Postby Unimatsuriku » 10 May 2006, 14:06

I'm getting an x-box 360, then when I can afford one of the other two their release bugs should have been fixed and it should be sure which one is better.
Jesus Saves, Cthulhu Eats, choose wisely - Bunny

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 10 May 2006, 16:19

I can tell you now, based on the crap sony is pulling with the PS3, the wii is gonna be better.

-M

I am not angry at you.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 10 May 2006, 16:39

...crap? what crap?
SamsonWest

Postby SamsonWest » 10 May 2006, 16:54

I love that PS3 straight up stole the control system from the Wii. the motion capture or whatever it would be called, and they are claiming they are starting the next big advance in gaming... douche move sony
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 10 May 2006, 17:08

ok, you know the whole HDMI/HDCP issue with high definition content, right? wherein if you don't have a TV that's HDCP compliant, you get downsampled resolutions in your video content, even on an HDTV?

Well, go figure. despite the fact that the size of no console title to date exceeds the possible max capacity of a single DVD, (accounting for dual-sided, dual-layered disks, mind you) sony felt it neccessary to include a blu-ray drive in the PS3, knowing FULL WELL that it would drive the console's cost through the roof (I can't even imagine how much they're losing per unit on the PS3, considering stand alone blu-ray players are going to be upwards of $1000). why did they include blu-ray? well, it wasn't to make sure there was ample room on disks for game content(though that's what their marketing team will say). it was simply to ensure that the core audience of high definition product (male 18-34) would already have a blu-ray player before HD-DVD became affordable, and widespread. having a blu-ray player in the ps3, ensures that anyone who buys a PS3 will hae no need for HD-DVD, and anyone currently considering HD-DVD will have a strong incentive to wait until november, and get a blu-ray drive. they didn't include it to enhance gaming, they did it simply to ensure that blu-ray beats HD-DVD.

that's screw #1.

Screw #2 revolves around their release of 2 different PS3 packages at 2 different price points. despite the fact that an HDMI out is REQUIRED for full resolution video, the cheaper (HA!) $499USD pack with the 20GB HDD DOES NOT HAVE ONE. ONLY the more expensive $599USD pack has an HDMI out. now, I'll grant that sony is not using HDCP protection on their gaming content, so you can get 720p even with component out for games, but the moment you spin up a blu-ray movie, you're stuck at 540p unless you bought the more expensive pack. That's some QUEER shit. Even more distressing is te fact that they know they can get away with it, for the most part, because maybe 10% of consumers even KNOW what this looming issue is. most people will buy the ps3 thinking its a good cheap way to get blu-ray, and not even know that sony has sold them something that was obsolete before it even released.

good times. good times.

on top of that, sony managed to show their console, and prove to the world that they are not only utterly incapable of producing a single new idea, but that they can't even lift ideas from other companies well.

-online, but no centralized online service (a poor man's xbox live)
-playstation library downloadable (instead of XBL arcade, or nintendo virtual console)
-motion sensitive controller (which only detects tilt and flick, not 3 dimensional motion in real space; only comprable to the nunchuck bit of the wii-mote, not the pointer end.)
-20GB HDD (*cough*)
-no rumble function in their controller, ('not possible due to space constraints, and interference with motion-sensing' they say, despite the fact that nintendo managed to cram better motion sensing, rumble, and a goddamn AUDIO system into their, EVEN SMALLER controller without issue)
-even a fucking guide button in the middle of the dualshock 3, just like the x360 controller.

and then they have the gall to have someone playing with the tilt function of their controller comment "wow, that's innovative!" at their press conference.

yeah, it is innovative - it's just nintendo's goddamn innovation.

they're arrogant, cocky, have no consern for consumer welfare, and feel that they're infallable. remember back through gaming history:

sega: master system, genesis, saturn (nearly went bankrupt)
nintendo: NES, SNES, N64 (lost more than 2/3 of their market share)
and now PS1, PS2, PS3

companies get over-confident and screw up on their third system, sega did it, nintendo did it, and sony's well on their way.

oh, and as a point of note, the president of sony commented today that he felt the PS3 was "possibly too cheap".

-M

PS: I just lifted this from IGN:

IGN wrote:Looking at the official press site of SCEA, we noticed that the PS3 with the 20 gigabyte hard drive seemed to lack HDMI support. This seems to be confirmed by an offical press release from SCEA, which indicates via comparison between the two systems. However, it also indicates that the 20 gigabyte system won't have Memory Stick, SD or Compact Flash reading capability or WiFi support. Even worse, it appears that rumble doesn't appear to be included with the new six axis sensing controller.

Update: It also appears that Sony has ditched dual-HDMI support altogether, even from its high-end 60GB system. Whether or not the system is still capable of running dual-displays by using both HDMI and the AV multi-out is unknown.

Also, Sony announced that the Blu-ray disc drive in the PS3 will run at 2X, or roughly 72Mbps.

so even with the best pack, then, only 1 HDMI out, not two.
Last edited by Matt on 10 May 2006, 17:34, edited 3 times in total.

I am not angry at you.

Return to “General Discussion”