Homestuck

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Fugiman
First Video: Halo

Homestuck

Postby Fugiman » 25 Oct 2011, 07:36

For those who don't already read Homestuck, it is THE webcomic with the most content. [Citation] You can begin your adventure at http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6. Don't worry, this thread will still be around in the couple weeks it'll take to digest all that content.

For those who DO already read Homestuck and haven't seen the EOA5 flash yet, I've mirrored it at http://fugiman.com/MSPA Scratch that, Hussie got it working. Please be warned that there are a few panels before the flash, starting at http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006001. If you don't know WHY the mirror is necessary, essentially it would cost Hussie $100,000 or more to host the file for today alone. Newgrounds couldn't handle hosting it, so he put it on Megaupload.

Oh, and there is another album out. In case you missed that.

And to top it all off, I got my Space Hoodie today.
(The sticker was included in the packaging)

So, that EOA5 flash. Holy carp, my mind is blown. No wonder it took a month to make. 13 minutes long? I've watched it 4 times already and I'm still finding new stuff. I...my mind is broken. Hopefully I'll have something better to contribute when I get over how awesome that was.
Last edited by Fugiman on 25 Oct 2011, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter | Google+ | Steam
ClickQuest | MineCraft | Team Fortress 2
DancingFox
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Re: Homestuck

Postby DancingFox » 25 Oct 2011, 07:46

Hussie effectively has an entire DDOS at his beck and call. It only took minutes to take down the Newgrounds servers...

Luckily he set up the Megaupload fantastically, in that it's an html file which is really identical to watching it on the site.

Christ. 13 minutes. I would say he's outdone himself but I have a suspicion it'll only get bigger, because that's what Homestuck does. Also the MUSIC. And the...fffff I don't even know...

I mean...wow. I'd like to note for one that I really love how fitting all the god tier costumes are? They line up in very subtle excellent ways. Page, Knight, Seer, Witch, they all look the part (and the striped stockings and ruby slippers were a great touch). I still don't fully understand how Dave and Rose managed to ascend despite not having another body to ascend into, but I figure this will be explained.

More importantly.

Doc Scratch.

You fucking son of a bitch.

Well fucking played. Well. Fucking. Played.

A friend of mine used a word which seems very fitting to me. Endgame. With all the shit that's been going down, with half the trolls dead (soon to be more than half from the looks of Sollux), the kids now all ascended, Doc Scratch's plan carried out, and both universes collapsing, 'endgame' seems a fitting description. Until you realize something...

We still have not seen the main villain. At all.

In other news, a little while ago he announced more merch which was going to sell super quick. I'm not sure if he was talking about the new god tier hoodies (including the two new ones that just went up, Hero of Mind and Hero of Heart (I forget which trolls). What I really really want to see being sold though is small light chain necklaces with the mark of the Sufferer, kind of thing you could wear under a shirt. Cause that would be fantastic.
Tales from the Menagerie! New fiction magazine looking for submissions of all sorts!
http://www.talesfromthemenagerie.com/
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 25 Oct 2011, 09:19

Wow! That comic is still going? It's gone well beyond Problem Sleuth (my favourite) by now.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Fugiman

Postby Fugiman » 25 Oct 2011, 09:29

Today marks the end of Act 5 out of a planned 7 acts. However, each act has been longer than the last (as far as I can tell, need verification on this), so it may run for another year or so before finishing.

That said, reading through the archives wasn't so bad when I did it this spring, so if you liked Problem Sleuth I encourage you to give Homestuck a try.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 25 Oct 2011, 09:40

Oh, I looooved Problem Sleuth & was all excited about Homestuck when it first started, but after awhile I just couldn't stand the pacing. When he took 20+ pages to describe a needlessly complex inventory system that is neither practical or funny was when I gave up. However, tho' he isn't really taking suggestions from readers any more (a big thing for me in the other comics) just the fact that it has become so epically long intrigues me. I may check it out once it's complete.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Fugiman

Postby Fugiman » 25 Oct 2011, 10:00

Evil Jim, Yeah, Homestuck isn't really "funny" the way Problem Sleuth was, and unfortunately he can no longer take suggestion because the popularity of the comic ensures that he'll receive just about every suggestion imaginable. The reason I enjoy it is because the story is so epic and well done that, for me, it rivals most novels I've read. Other web comics can't even come close.

DancingFox, Having just re-watched it AGAIN, I'd say that the ?explosion? of the green sun caused Dave and Rose's ascensions. You watch them transform and as they do there is green sparks flying. However, I'm unsure why Doc Scratch called them "suckers", obviously they should NOT have exploded the sun but why? I presume we'll find out soon. As for the main villain, perhaps Hussie himself? It would certainly be a cop out, but Doc Scratch DID facilitate him arriving in the universe, and he DOES have the coat...We'll see. While I doubt he really will be the villain, I doubt we've seen the last of Hussie as a character.
Undersol
First Video: The Trouble With Scribbles [maybe]

Postby Undersol » 25 Oct 2011, 10:14

I liked Homestuck while I read it, but I stopped when Hussie shifted focus to the trolls. I didn't really like the fact that he changed focus when the rest of the comic was more or less at a "high point" and while some of the trolls were kind of fun, (I liked the one who pretends she is a cat.) in general they were boring.

Has he stopped devoting every update to them? I could probably speed over the boring bits and catch back up.
"And it also helps with splash-back"
DancingFox

Postby DancingFox » 25 Oct 2011, 10:15

Oh, but don't you see?
They didn't destroy The Green Sun.

They created it.
Tales from the Menagerie! New fiction magazine looking for submissions of all sorts!
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 25 Oct 2011, 10:31

All my reaction to the finale aside for a moment... FUCK orange. Why the HELL would he change the best color to the worst?! Everyone else got to keep their colors!

Sorry, had to get that out.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

JustAName

Postby JustAName » 25 Oct 2011, 10:43

Oh, and Undersol? The focus solely on the Trolls wasn't that long. Maybe half an act? And then everything. You should pick it up again.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 25 Oct 2011, 11:08

A thousand curses upon Megaupload and it's download limits! I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow before I can watch this. Much annoyance.

But yeah, I've been following Homestuck since it started. It's probably the best 'not-truely-a-webcomic-but-still-called-a-webcomic-because-there-isn't-a-name-for-the-thing-it-is' (NTAWBSCAWBTIANFTII, 'enn-torbs-corb-tee-annf-tie') I've come across. Even if it does get to be a bit of a convoluted mess at times (time-travel does not make for clear plot-lines).
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 25 Oct 2011, 11:16

See: the top post. Fugi put it up, so you don't have to download it. <3 for Fugi.

DancingFox

Postby DancingFox » 25 Oct 2011, 14:02

Yeah it's a bit too multimedia to really count as a webcomic. And yes, it's an utterly insane mess, but somehow not only does Hussie keep it all straight but it all interweaves beautifully. I don't understand how he possibly does it.
Undersol
First Video: The Trouble With Scribbles [maybe]

Postby Undersol » 25 Oct 2011, 15:16

Fayili wrote:Oh, and Undersol? The focus solely on the Trolls wasn't that long. Maybe half an act? And then everything. You should pick it up again.

Okay then. It was just that I was checking in daily for updates and it frustrated me and put me off on the whole thing. One frustrating aspect pushing me away is common with webcomics. It's the reason I take MegaTokyo out of my webcomic list every few months, but I can't quit Fred's stupid comic even though I hate the stupid way he does certain character things.
"And it also helps with splash-back"
Fugiman

Postby Fugiman » 25 Oct 2011, 15:32

Here's the deal with homestuck - NOTHING is irrelevant. Hussie makes EVERYTHING connect together, and in ways you'd never expect. And part of the sudden shifts is to generate drama and blah blah.

That said, you don't REALLY need to pay attention to parts you dislike. I don't pay attention or catch everything but I still enjoy the story.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 25 Oct 2011, 15:37

I don't entirely "get" it.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 25 Oct 2011, 16:04

Fayili wrote:See: the top post. Fugi put it up, so you don't have to download it. <3 for Fugi.

That was quite possibly the most epic thing I have seen in months.

Tim wrote:I don't entirely "get" it.

I don't think anyone entirely 'gets' Homestuck (possibly including its creator), not until it finishes and can viewed as a complete work anyway (whenever that may be).

It's still in like Bob, though.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 25 Oct 2011, 18:18

Tim wrote:I don't entirely "get" it.

If you haven't been following the comic up to this point, that flash will make NO sense and you should not watch it.

That said... EOA5... amazing. Unbelievable, and mind blowing.

Fayili wrote:All my reaction to the finale aside for a moment... FUCK orange. Why the HELL would he change the best color to the worst?! Everyone else got to keep their colors!

Sorry, had to get that out.

Hm... I have a feeling Rose's text being the "wrong" color to match her God Tier outfit will be significant somehow. (I say it that way and not the other way around because Vriska showed us the "of Light" god tier long before Rose even existed, technically....

I was wearing my Tavros shirt today. :B
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 25 Oct 2011, 19:58

Well, Vriska's was blue, wannit? Text, that is.

DancingFox

Postby DancingFox » 25 Oct 2011, 20:41

In like Bob is definitely a highly accurate description of this comic.

Also, I really really want a small necklace chain with the sign of the Signless. I would buy that. Should get that in the shop...
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 26 Oct 2011, 08:45

hOnK
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
DancingFox

Postby DancingFox » 26 Oct 2011, 08:46

HoNk
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 26 Oct 2011, 10:36

[quote="Evil Jim"...When he took 20+ pages to describe a needlessly complex inventory system that is neither practical or funny was when I gave up. ..[/quote]

That's as far as I've gotten and that was...two or three months ago. I keep meaning to go back since friends keep talking about it but I can't bring myself to do it. I know I'll eventually I'll get around to catching up on it.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 27 Oct 2011, 17:13

I got bored in class...

Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 27 Oct 2011, 21:04

Fayili wrote:I got bored in class...

That is badass.

In other news, the thread on the MSPA forums for discussing EOA5 is currently 176 pages long. For comparison, the thread was three pages long the day before the flash came out.

Return to “General Discussion”