Desert Bus

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Re: Desert Bus

Postby JackSlack » 20 Nov 2011, 21:03

I have little else to add, except that my experience echoes that of TorachiKatashi. I've found this year to be almost wholly non-interactive. The challenges open for a minute thing is insanely frustrating; it's like the Ask LRR frustrations except exaggerated due to the number of people all fighting to get in.

In the end, I wound up submitting a 20 dollar challenge, it got accepted, and I paid it, and it looks like it'll never be done, because it was a few hours later by the time they got to it, and by then I'd gone to sleep.

I've really not enjoyed this Desert Bus, and I admit, my experiences almost completely mirror that of TorachiKatashi.

Edit: That said, Kathleen did just read out my little love note to Duckay. That made me smile. So there is that.
Last edited by JackSlack on 20 Nov 2011, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 20 Nov 2011, 21:43

Bill doesn't remember me anymore T______T
i dont know what's happening anymore
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 20 Nov 2011, 23:39

For anybody that missed it, there's a Desert Bus app on the iTunes app store and Android marketplace. Features everything you've come to know and love from the original game. Best part, the developers of the app are giving all the money to Child's Play.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 20 Nov 2011, 23:41

Say, does someone have a list of all the contact email addresses relevant to desert bus? I can only remember contest@ & stuff@ & neither are appropriate to the donation issue I've run into.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 21 Nov 2011, 00:08

I believe there is contact@ and prize@ as well.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
tueidj
First Video: Phailhaus

Postby tueidj » 21 Nov 2011, 00:09

About the iphone/android Desert Bus app: after last year's unoffical app we managed to get an official release in both the iOS app store and the android market. Unfortunately I was travelling for a few days before the start of DBFH5 and just got back to find Graham saying something along the lines of "why don't these people tell us about these cool things they make..." so whoops, my bad. But at least now the word is out and no doubt there will be a huge jump in sales which will be forwarded on as a donation at some point... hopefully a lot more than the $50 worth of sales we managed last year!
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 21 Nov 2011, 00:23

Evil Jim wrote:Say, does someone have a list of all the contact email addresses relevant to desert bus? I can only remember contest@ & stuff@ & neither are appropriate to the donation issue I've run into.

You could also try PMing King Kool since he has been checking the emails anyways, and he's there right now. (Warning, this advice might be completely invalid)
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 21 Nov 2011, 00:39

Thanks! Kroze was actually kind enough to respond to my request for info & I've sent the letter to the appropriate address.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Ringo803
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Location: Satellite of Love, Somewhere over Lexington, South Carolina

Postby Ringo803 » 21 Nov 2011, 02:11

Newsbreak: Jenga is now the most intense game ever...

I can has Jenga highlight?
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war...and other things that are not war.

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 21 Nov 2011, 04:24

I'm enjoying the parts I'm able to watch (which did not include the aforementioned Jenga - :'( ). This is my first Desert Bus so I have no previous experience to compare it to, although I can understand why they would limit challenges in the way they have - if they didn't they would be swamped and everybody would come away disappointed. And at the end of the day it is their event so they should have final say on what they do and do not do.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Terminus
First Video: Unskippable ("Vanquish")

Postby Terminus » 21 Nov 2011, 05:00

Plus, again, this event is not about any of us. It's about charity.
As Yahtzee said, there is no middle finger big enough.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 21 Nov 2011, 05:16

Terminus wrote:Plus, again, this event is not about any of us. It's about charity.

+1
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
TheExemplar
First Video: Rejected Wii Minigames

Postby TheExemplar » 21 Nov 2011, 05:30

I also have enjoyed my experiences so far. I do have to admit that more craziness would not go amiss. But at the same time, it's kind of weirdly nice just to watch these supremely silly people interact with one another in an unscripted manner. Plus, Yahtzee's appearance was hilarious.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 21 Nov 2011, 07:02

This years desertbus is still fun because it's desert bus.

But on the other hand, the auctions are less energetic and over the top like last years.

There is always so many people around that there is never any real down time, which is actually not that great of a thing because things stop being so special and it's alot less personal than last year when there were times when there was only 3-5 people around.

And yes, challenges are a big pain in the ass due to being open for all of 30 seconds at a time, and if you are so much as grabbing a drink you can miss the entire thing.

And i find that when the bids start flat-lining the crew is really just resorting to either opening challenges for another 30 seconds or throwing out a $5 challenge rather than last year when they were doing all sorts of crazy creative things.

That said, I'm still enjoying it, don't get me wrong.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
ad134

Postby ad134 » 21 Nov 2011, 08:10

DB5's Nun Fight by Paul and Storm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKLMjQAEUn8
TheExemplar

Postby TheExemplar » 21 Nov 2011, 09:18

ad134 wrote:DB5's Nun Fight by Paul and Storm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKLMjQAEUn8

Exactly.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Nov 2011, 09:39

I'm compiling a list of improvements for the challenge system for next year that I'll send to them when this is done (as well as test cases for the various systems). I'll also be including my resume and an offer to help with them, since hopefully with more eyes (and time between us), a more robust system can be created.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 21 Nov 2011, 10:42

How about dropping challenges entirely? It's clear now that Desert Bus has changed from its origins where it was people doing stupid things for charity with a few call-ins and a few auctions. Now it's primarily about the interviews, auctions-for-the-wealthy and giveaways. "Desert Bus 5" is a reboot, not a sequel.

I suggest we refer to Desert Bus 4 and previous as "Classic Desert Bus" and DB5 forward as "Modern Desert Bus."

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with Modern Desert Bus. This is how all of the telethons work on TV and they work incredibly well. I think the sooner we all accept that Desert Bus is now a commercial fundraiser, they happier we'll all be.

As such, next year, I suggest they set aside a night for dollar-backed challenges. Aside from that night, there will be no formal dollar-based challenges. Frankly, as a proportion of total money raised, the challenges just aren't worth the headaches, anymore. They can feel free to take requests from the audience during downtime for something to do, but the challenge system doesn't fit into Modern Desert Bus.

I would support them making this change this year. Please drop the challenges. They're alienating far more fans than they're pleasing.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
wolfflight
First Video: Ways to X2Y

Postby wolfflight » 21 Nov 2011, 10:54

Woot, Bus bought! Sweet app.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Nov 2011, 12:02

Well, in the last couple of years it's REALLY gotten busy and feels kinda crowded, almost.

I dunno what it is, but it's like I have the opposite of ADD; as such, trying to remotely follow an IRC channel in four digits is just a recipe for a headache for me.

That, added to the time difference (all the cool stuff seems to happen after about 2am here, and when I get up at 8am it's still 'the graveyard shift') has made me 'cherry-pick' what I've been watching; I'll likely watch the heck out of the best clips that got recorded once the dust settles.

And, of course, having no money to spend until Dec.1 makes all these gorgeous and awesome auction items just an exercise in torment....urrr, big-box Planescape:Torment, with all those signatures...excuse me, I have to go get a fork and knife to dine on my own cardiac muscle now...
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 21 Nov 2011, 12:21

So. That Slashfic. Awesome.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 21 Nov 2011, 13:33

Congrats to Madrak on his challenge win.
Last edited by Keab42 on 21 Nov 2011, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Nov 2011, 13:38

...yeah, there is THAT. :mrgreen:
TheExemplar

Postby TheExemplar » 21 Nov 2011, 13:48

"We shall NOT be testing myths on Buster."
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 21 Nov 2011, 13:52

Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Return to “General Discussion”