Desert Bus

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
CtMolloy

Re: Desert Bus

Postby CtMolloy » 27 Nov 2011, 04:56

Elomin Sha wrote:The only one on the forum who should know is CTMolloy, he won the giveaway to be told. I asked him about it but the information was never passed over.
I'm thinking it was an umbilical cord, left over of a circumcision or some kind of fluid.

Yup. I never found out. I'm not even sure what I would do with such information! haha.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 27 Nov 2011, 09:40

Hold it hostage.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Kaiserin
First Video: ENN

Postby Kaiserin » 27 Nov 2011, 20:03

I sat down to watch the desert bus I missed this year due to work and sleep. And... it's not the same... I miss the interactivity and spontinaity.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 27 Nov 2011, 20:44

It gets better the last 3 days or so after alot of the guest head off.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Pikachaos
First Video: Ballad of the Fanboy

Postby Pikachaos » 28 Nov 2011, 00:01

I'd just like to say that I miss Desert Bus dearly. O: Just as I did last year. There is now a hole in my life.

I went back to read the suggestions on earlier pages and I'm going to avoid specifically countering them or anything because there are enough minds pooling without me. I'd just like to state some opinions. :3

I LOVED Desert Bus this year just as much as I did last year. Though I wasn't able to get a personal challenge, I definitely wasn't able to afford an auction and I hardly was able to hear myself in the chat, I still enjoyed every second.
I guess I've just always liked living vicariously through people, but I love watching other people's challenges played out, I feel an immense amount of suspense watching other people bid and love seeing what trends there are in the chat, along with hearing people's response to other people's questions. I really do love Desert Bus even if I personally can't get much attention.

Keep up the GREAT work everyone involved. It's still early in DB history so obviously there is much need for improvement, but you guys are doing your best and 300K is completely AMAZING.
DeviantArt - Cyberguardian
Twitter - Pikachaos
Tumblr - http://worldnegativeone.tumblr.com/

"Y-you'll have to kill your underwear." -Ghost Graham
[The]Rock
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby [The]Rock » 28 Nov 2011, 02:36

I've been watching siince blue monday (tuesday over here). since then I have watched so much LRR that I feel that desert bus was just a gathering of friends, I just understand so much of the stuff that goes on. "Nerd" culture at it's finest doesn't try to be too alien to normal life, and LRR do this well.
I came, I saw, I got bored, I left...

Keep Rockin' (no pun intended)

[The]Rock
Fugiman
First Video: Halo

Postby Fugiman » 28 Nov 2011, 02:49

Hey everybody! Disclaimer: I have no inside info on DB6

While I would love to be neutral about this, I really can't. I invested way too much time into the DB5 back-end to not be hurt by "nothing about this new challenge system works. The entire thing needs to be scrapped, and someone else needs to build an entirely new system for next year.".

However, that was the "problem" in the first place. This was all new technology and nobody quite knew how to best use it, or what would happen until the event started. A lot of the issues early in the run were due to the immense load that you can only truly get during the actual event. But now that we have tested all this new tech, we can improve it. Throwing it out would just cause DB6 to be another crazy mess of figuring everything out yet again.

So yes, allowing donors to modify their challenges is a great idea. That would add some of the interactivity back in, as it is incredibly hard to talk to users individually on the chat. This year, it was either accept or deny, there was no easy way to negotiate. Near the end, we were also doing dedicated "challenge time", much like there was "auction time" and "call-in time". That seemed to work pretty well.

For those wondering about pricing, as far as I know there is no guidelines on challenge prices. It is really up to "do we feel like doing this?", with higher prices making the crew more likely to say yes to something they don't really feel like doing, either because it is a lot of effort or is slightly inconvenient.

And one final note, if you EVER have a concern about anything during Desert Bus, PLEASE PM ME. I had no time to read this thread until I got back home, but had a single person PM'd me with their issue there MAY have been a chance to do something to help. I read every PM I got all of desert bus, and the majority of what was said in the chat.

tl;dr - Don't hate the challenge system - think of ways to make it better, offer as much money for your challenge as you think it is worth, PM ME :D

PS. While I did read the whole thread, it was kind of hard to get a feel for all the issues people brought up, so if you have anything else you want me to answer, just ask.
Twitter | Google+ | Steam
ClickQuest | MineCraft | Team Fortress 2
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 28 Nov 2011, 04:03

Well, like I said. The last few days were great and reminded me alot of db4. But I agree with others that the challenge system wasn't working well, and personally I think that was due to the fact that it wasn't left open, so it was like the Ask LRR thread, on crack. Yet at the same time, I understand that there simply wasn't enough time to do all the challenges from the first time it was open, and the time it took to go through them all would have just been ridiculous for a single person to do.

So here's my question to you. With this new system, do you think it would be possible to put more than one person on it next year, set out some general rules for challenges to be instantly denied, and have them go through and catagorise all the pending challenges, for example, have it so that when the crew want to do challenges, they can sort through all the pending ones by who they are for, what type they are (Singing, skit, shoutout, etc.) and also add some way to check if the person is around easily, I don't know much about how to do that, but right now i'm thinking some sort of email alert would be good, instead of having challenges just go from pending to accept, have them go from pending to notified to accept, where notified will send the challenger an email that they can respond to, to let you know if they are watching or not, and if the email isn't responded to in say, half an hour, the challenge goes back to pending.

Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 28 Nov 2011, 10:36

Fugiman: I think people are mainly frustrated with the challenges only being open for 1min at a time, and at random times with only the slightest warning. The backend system was generally awesome!
#TeamKroze
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 28 Nov 2011, 10:39

I agree. I think the issue was more with HOW your code was used, not the code itself.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Nov 2011, 12:01

Yeah, all my suggestions are just things that could be added to the existing backend. The system is great as it is though.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 28 Nov 2011, 13:18

The fact that Tally would even consider reading a Desert Bus thread within a week of the event, let alone only a few days, is a great testament to the backend system. I don't think there were many claims that the challenge system didn't work "at all." We're just hoping for improvements next year (which you've already seem to have taken to heart). Maybe next year, you can work remotely so you won't have to spend over a week 3,000 miles from home over the holidays. ;-)

I have a feeling the Crew didn't have any inkling about how not stressed out they would be after the event and even the rabble watching at home knows the system you helped build was a very large part of that.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 28 Nov 2011, 13:40

Well, i think the best idea now would be for everyone to take a week or so to think about all the things they would like to help improve, and hopefully around that time the crew would put up a dedicated feedback thread. Cause right now, looking back over some of these pages opinions jump all over the place. so hopefully by the time someone gets around to making a dedicated feedback thread all our suggestions can be refined, thought over.

And while I'm here, I'd just like to say to everyone. Good job on the lighting this year. Last year I felt that it was too bright, and obscured alot of detail from everything, especially peoples faces.
This year the lighting worked perfectly. The only time I ever complained about the light was when someone left the Skull cam light on, and while it being on my monitor prevented it from being any brighter than anything else, it still had the same effect as if it was in that i kept being drawn to looking at the bottom left corner of my screen. Which, when you consider that I was quite vocal in my disslike of last years lighting, is quite a big improvement. (In my eyes at least.)

Kaiserin
First Video: ENN

Postby Kaiserin » 28 Nov 2011, 14:56

I supose my only problem with challenges is that they only seem to really happen late night. I know its because auctions and call ins a focused during the day and evening. But it means someone with my schedule, 9-5 EST misses most of the challenges unless we don't sleep.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 28 Nov 2011, 14:59

Kaiserin wrote:I supose my only problem with challenges is that they only seem to really happen late night. I know its because auctions and call ins a focused during the day and evening. But it means someone with my schedule, 9-5 EST misses most of the challenges unless we don't sleep.

That's partly because Team Zeta is very pro-challenge, so we did a LOT of challenges. Partly because it helps us stay awake :P
#TeamKroze
Fugiman
First Video: Halo

Postby Fugiman » 28 Nov 2011, 15:45

While the challenges being opened at random times is a VERY valid complaint, the "only 1 minute" is almost out of our control. In a single minute, we get over a hundred challenges. While opening challenges constantly MAY mean the submission rate slows and becomes manageable, perhaps it would just continue to be a torrent? We have no idea, and no way to test it except during the event. I'll definitely talk to Ashton about how to better regulate the system and see if having it constantly open is possible.

That said, this year we completed 600 challenges. That is 100 challenges PER DAY. :D Hopefully that number will be higher next year ;)

Oh, and like mentioned before [email protected] is the address to send any suggestions for DB6. People check that email, they don't check forum threads ;)
Twitter | Google+ | Steam
ClickQuest | MineCraft | Team Fortress 2
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 28 Nov 2011, 17:54

Dix wrote:You guys are crazy if you're already planning DB6. At least take a week to just sit back and soak in everything you guys have accomplished!!!

Can't wait to get up there and help you guys out next year!

Didn't you know that as soon as the cameras were off for DB5, they all went to Boston Pizza to have a meeting about DB6? Hardcurr.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 28 Nov 2011, 17:56

TheRocket wrote:
Dix wrote:You guys are crazy if you're already planning DB6. At least take a week to just sit back and soak in everything you guys have accomplished!!!

Didn't you know that as soon as the cameras were off for DB5, they all got drunk at the super-awesome after party? Hardcurr.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 28 Nov 2011, 18:01

Fugiman wrote:While I would love to be neutral about this, I really can't. I invested way too much time into the DB5 back-end to not be hurt by "nothing about this new challenge system works. The entire thing needs to be scrapped, and someone else needs to build an entirely new system for next year.".

See, all you Negative Nancy's and Debbie Downers hurt Fugimans feelings. You busholes.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 28 Nov 2011, 18:03

Fugiman wrote:While the challenges being opened at random times is a VERY valid complaint, the "only 1 minute" is almost out of our control. In a single minute, we get over a hundred challenges. While opening challenges constantly MAY mean the submission rate slows and becomes manageable, perhaps it would just continue to be a torrent? We have no idea, and no way to test it except during the event. I'll definitely talk to Ashton about how to better regulate the system and see if having it constantly open is possible.

The thing is, it's hard to know how much the window regulates the overall volume vs. how much it just means that many challenges fly out in spurts. It's likely to reduce it somewhat (due to people who won't see it otherwise) but not wholly efficiently (because people 'save up' for that moment).

I've sent in my two ideas, both of which I think go in the 'radical' bucket; I don't think any small tinkering is going to fix the basic problem of 'too many challenges/too little time'.

Also:

TheRocket wrote:See, all you Negative Nancy's and Debbie Downers hurt Fugimans feelings. You busholes.

As a Debbie Downer, allow me to note this: Fugiman's backend worked pretty well. I experienced a few awkward crashes after submission but it did look like the submissions always went through, I just didn't always get a confirmation screen. It wasn't flawless, but it worked super well.

This is not a technical issue but a policy one.
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 28 Nov 2011, 18:59

Fugiman wrote:That said, this year we completed 600 challenges. That is 100 challenges PER DAY. :D Hopefully that number will be higher next year ;)

And just think, every single one of those is on youtube!

Seriously though, everything you guys did was amazing and you should be proud of yourselves for creating a system like that, no matter what bugs it may have.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 28 Nov 2011, 20:07

Personally, the best part was how emotional it got at the end. I'm not going to pick on anybody specifically because that's just being a total bushole, but man. That was amazing.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Pikachaos
First Video: Ballad of the Fanboy

Postby Pikachaos » 28 Nov 2011, 20:21

gcninja wrote:Personally, the best part was how emotional it got at the end. I'm not going to pick on anybody specifically because that's just being a total bushole, but man. That was amazing.

I cried. O: Repeatedly.
DeviantArt - Cyberguardian
Twitter - Pikachaos
Tumblr - http://worldnegativeone.tumblr.com/

"Y-you'll have to kill your underwear." -Ghost Graham
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 28 Nov 2011, 21:11

TheRocket wrote:

Didn't you know that as soon as the cameras were off for DB5, they all went to Boston Pizza to have a meeting about DB6? Hardcurr.

Boston Pizza? Is that a Canadian thing? I recall seeing a "Tennessee Fried Chicken" in London several years ago. Is "[Place in the US] [Type of food not often associated with that part of the US]" a common restaurant theme in other countries?
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 28 Nov 2011, 21:15

i think "boston pizza" is akin to "chicago pizza" and "TFC" to "KFC". its like the chinese generic thing is spreading
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!

Return to “General Discussion”