Desert Bus

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
Psyclone
Posts: 1862
Joined: 13 Sep 2009, 02:23
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween
Location: Walla^2

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Psyclone » 28 Nov 2011, 21:26

Wait wait wait. Where was this "Tennessee Fried Chicken"?
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
User avatar
Slack Mesa
Posts: 421
Joined: 26 May 2010, 14:28
First Video: Green

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Slack Mesa » 28 Nov 2011, 21:31

It was somewhere near the Knightsbridge tube station, if I remember correctly.
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Nov 2011, 21:53

Boston Pizza is absolute crap, is what it is.
*
User avatar
Duckay
Posts: 3706
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 00:57
First Video: Man Cooking
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Duckay » 28 Nov 2011, 22:10

Well, this thread is making me crave pizza. So that's something.
User avatar
Evil Jim
Posts: 7265
Joined: 14 Jul 2007, 00:39
First Video: Shake Your Hands
Location: R'lyeh, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Evil Jim » 28 Nov 2011, 22:11

I'd say the same, except my awesome girlfriend brought home a delicious take-&-bake pizza tonite. Om nom nom.
Image
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
User avatar
TheRocket
Posts: 8428
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:17
First Video: Those Games That We Played
Location: Lake Titicaca
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby TheRocket » 28 Nov 2011, 22:16

metcarfre wrote:Boston Pizza is absolute crap, is what it is.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Wolfenbarg
Posts: 272
Joined: 25 Oct 2010, 14:58
First Video: The Job
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Wolfenbarg » 29 Nov 2011, 00:17

Has anyone uploaded the call-in interviews? I missed quite a few of them.
User avatar
Fugiman
Posts: 745
Joined: 15 Aug 2008, 14:39
First Video: Halo
Location: North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Fugiman » 29 Nov 2011, 00:51

JackSlack: I presume you already reported those "crashes"?

I don't actually have access to any email or other systems as I'm just a volunteer, so I can only respond to what is publicly visible :P

As to what happened after Desert Bus ended? All I can say is there was alcohol and Wubstep in abundance. Then sleep. Then more alcohol and wubstep.

So much wubstep.
Twitter | Google+ | Steam
ClickQuest | MineCraft | Team Fortress 2
User avatar
the_lone_bard
Posts: 1870
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 08:39
First Video: Black box...i think.
Location: The other victoria (aus)
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby the_lone_bard » 29 Nov 2011, 01:13

Poor Fugi. Trapped in a world gone mad!
First they listen to wubstep, then they praise Mutt Wuggins, and you got trapped there for all of it! You must have been so scared.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: [email protected]
Skype: [email protected]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
User avatar
War Monkey782
Posts: 331
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 12:02
First Video: The first Unskippable
Location: Space
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby War Monkey782 » 29 Nov 2011, 08:32

It's a rave you can never escape, DJed by MC Wubbins.
Witty and humorous signature here.
User avatar
Geoff_B
Posts: 11637
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 13:13
First Video: Installation Anxiety
Location: Harrow, London
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Geoff_B » 29 Nov 2011, 10:57

At least you got onto an LRR video so now you're famous!
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
User avatar
the_lone_bard
Posts: 1870
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 08:39
First Video: Black box...i think.
Location: The other victoria (aus)
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby the_lone_bard » 29 Nov 2011, 11:15

I don't think the problem was his getting into one, so much as getting into one and not having to wear a dress.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: [email protected]
Skype: [email protected]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
User avatar
JenSev
Posts: 189
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 17:51
First Video: quantum documentary
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Desert Bus

Postby JenSev » 29 Nov 2011, 12:30

According to Graham, Kathleen isn't going to get slimed. It seems The Escapist never reached the threshold, so no sliming for Kathleen...

:(
The only ones that face reality are the ones too stupid to duck when they see it coming!
User avatar
Jillers
Posts: 3006
Joined: 14 Oct 2008, 19:26
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate
Location: Somewhere on top of garbage
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Jillers » 29 Nov 2011, 12:35

Chicago pizza is just a casserole.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]


~End Transmission~
User avatar
Digital Dolphin
Posts: 1509
Joined: 03 Dec 2008, 03:49
First Video: Canada Man
Location: Vancouver BC Canada

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Digital Dolphin » 29 Nov 2011, 13:35

Jillers wrote:Chicago pizza is just a casserole.


Pi is exactly 3!
Image
#TeamKroze
User avatar
The Jester
Posts: 6141
Joined: 07 Aug 2008, 17:49
First Video: The Truce
Location: Chester, UK
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby The Jester » 29 Nov 2011, 13:40

Bananas taste good because Tiger Woods plays golf.
User avatar
theDreamer
Posts: 5978
Joined: 20 May 2008, 17:51
First Video: Quantum Documentary
Location: 5th Level of Hell

Re: Desert Bus

Postby theDreamer » 29 Nov 2011, 14:35

Digital Dolphin wrote:
Jillers wrote:Chicago pizza is just a casserole.


Pi is exactly 3!


When asked to recite as many digits of Pi as he knew, my prof responded "math.pi(). Next question?"
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
User avatar
Alahmnat
Posts: 67
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 01:27
First Video: The Future of Sex
Location: Spokane, WA

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Alahmnat » 29 Nov 2011, 20:27

Fugi, I have a suggestion for the challenge system that's more for LRR's benefit than ours... specifying who accepted a challenge. More than a few times Graham and Kathleen were wondering who had accepted something because it wasn't feasible. Maybe adding who accepted it might help with inter-LRR-sonal communication on that front? I dunno, just a thought.

(I am willing to accept a smack in the face for "inter-LRR-sonal" if nothing else...)

Also, maybe put a lock on challenges so you can't pay for them until they're accepted. I also noticed Graham grumping about having challenges being paid for before they'd been accepted.

Anyway, those two things aside, I think it went really well this year overall, and challenges got smoother once the team seemed to realize that "challenge time" was a better approach than "try to do a couple whenever, I guess". It cut down on the number of challenges that people missed seeing performed because they were handled more or less immediately, and seemed to do a better job of filling the spaces between scheduled things like auctions and call-ins. Maybe next year schedule that a little more officially, or at least have blocks where it can happen for sure, so people know more when they can get in on the challenge submissions.

Props to you guys in the code forge though. Seriously, I have the vaguest of ideas of what it takes to pull something like this off, and the almost total lack of issues on the technical side really speaks to how well you put the whole thing together.
User avatar
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
Posts: 4376
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 07:41
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!
Location: Cambridge, Massachu~
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby AlexanderDitto » 29 Nov 2011, 21:03

I think the challenge system was excellent, virtually perfect, except perhaps for Alahmnat's suggestion of tagging who accepted a challenge (for Graham's sanity), and also perhaps the option of removing or editing a challenge before it's been accepted (as Fugi already mentioned).

EDIT: Whelp, I made a long post addressing the stuff from pages 26-35, only to find that Rocket had basically made this exact same post on page 25, so I am spoiling it because blah blah blah.

To the people complaining about challenges not being open all the time, or complaining that their challenge wasn't done at precisely the time they wished it was:

Desert Bus is a fundraiser to raise money for Child's Play. The crew members graciously act like monkeys sometimes to earn your dollars.

I don't think this entitles you to demand the ability to submit challenges 24/7, nor does it entitle you to demand your challenge be done exactly when and how you want it.

My opinion? Ultimately, you should feel just as comfortable making your donation, regardless of whether your challenge was ever performed or not. If you don't, then you shouldn't even be submitting a challenge in the first place. Desert Bus isn't a service. It's a fundraiser. Having your challenge performed on air isn't done in exchange for your donation. It's done as a thank you for your donation. The same is true of the auction items. The item is a thank you for donating, like the tote bag you get for donating to National Public Radio. You're not buying a $50 tote bag, or a $3000 dollar Mario pillow. That's my view.

The LRR crew is gracious enough and kind enough to do their damnedest to make sure everyone gets thanked properly, in whatever weird way they wish, if they feel like they can do it. But it's not a requirement, and because they have limited time they can't promise to thank everyone in their own special way.


Also I am super thrilled about my $5 Facts catching on, and I was completely floored when the crew thought to ask their call-in guests! I'm already thinking about similar things to do for year 6... I've got a few ideas. Or I might just do $5 facts again....

If nothing else, that $500 was worth Robert Khoo putting me off elevators for the rest of my life. :shock:
User avatar
Echi
Posts: 181
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 20:24
First Video: CHustle
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Echi » 29 Nov 2011, 21:19

AlexanderDitto wrote:Also I am super thrilled about my $5 Facts catching on, and I was completely floored when the crew thought to ask their call-in guests! I'm already thinking about similar things to do for year 6... I've got a few ideas. Or I might just do $5 facts again....

If nothing else, that $500 was worth Robert Khoo putting me off elevators for the rest of my life. :shock:


I was thinking during DB I hadn't noticed as many puns as in past years, perhaps a 5$ pun challenge is in order. Then again that probably wouldn't be as well received by others as it would be by me.

I just like puns.
User avatar
Jillers
Posts: 3006
Joined: 14 Oct 2008, 19:26
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate
Location: Somewhere on top of garbage
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Jillers » 29 Nov 2011, 22:03

Echi wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:Also I am super thrilled about my $5 Facts catching on, and I was completely floored when the crew thought to ask their call-in guests! I'm already thinking about similar things to do for year 6... I've got a few ideas. Or I might just do $5 facts again....

If nothing else, that $500 was worth Robert Khoo putting me off elevators for the rest of my life. :shock:


I was thinking during DB I hadn't noticed as many puns as in past years, perhaps a 5$ pun challenge is in order. Then again that probably wouldn't be as well received by others as it would be by me.

I just like puns.


Knowing the LRR crew whoever submitted that challenge would hit their donation limit in an hour. If that.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]


~End Transmission~
User avatar
King Kool
Quality and Quantity
Posts: 5981
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 19:22
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby King Kool » 30 Nov 2011, 00:33

So... anyone remember that post I made about meeting LRR at PAX East 2010, where I talk about my experience with it?

Is anyone interested in a big ol' essay on what I did during Desert Bus? THe thoughs I had, etc? Or would this just be too self-indulgent?
Image
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
User avatar
Elomin Sha
Posts: 15773
Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 05:14
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Woodford Green, England
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Nov 2011, 00:53

Dooooooo iiiiiiiit. We need more Desert Bus.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
User avatar
Geoff_B
Posts: 11637
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 13:13
First Video: Installation Anxiety
Location: Harrow, London
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby Geoff_B » 30 Nov 2011, 04:58

It would be good to see one from Dolphin as well as a member of the Z team :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
User avatar
CtMolloy
Posts: 682
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 22:40
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Desert Bus

Postby CtMolloy » 30 Nov 2011, 04:59

My big bag o dice arrived today. I was rather pleased. That's some fast postage. Shipping people - doing it right.
Image
Image

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests