Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to jail

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
Posts: 2409
Joined: 15 Apr 2008, 23:46
First Video: The Writers Room
Location: *sigh* Haparanda, Sweden
Contact:

Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to jail

Postby Smeghead » 10 Nov 2011, 10:15

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15647434
USA

So, the center of evil and ignorance of the modern area strikes again; concerned parents.

Parents sending their kids to spend time with other kids who have diseases like chickenpox is hardly something new. It’s the alternative to having the kids risk getting the disease later on when it might cause more harm, and it eliminates the risks of vaccination problems.

But a story going around (and apparently isn’t something new) is that parents acquire lollipops and other things from other parents who’ve had their own kids who were sick; use said items. Then the parents give them to their kids in the hope of infecting them.

…of course that would work had the disease not been airborne. You know unlike all other much more serious diseases that spread though saliva. So not only are the parents not giving the children the disease they want, but they risk giving them something much worse instead. Oh and they are breaking the law.

Since said items are contaminated it is actually a federal offence to send biologically contaminated material.

So kids, time to call the police and have your parents sent off to the bighouse :P
User avatar
Rikadyn
Posts: 1228
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 11:49
First Video: the pub
Location: K-zoo Michigan

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Rikadyn » 10 Nov 2011, 10:19

wasn't this a south park episode...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
User avatar
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
Posts: 2409
Joined: 15 Apr 2008, 23:46
First Video: The Writers Room
Location: *sigh* Haparanda, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Smeghead » 10 Nov 2011, 10:22

yes, I think so. But I don't think it really went as far to explain the core problems. Besides these are Concerned Parents, do you think they would watch South Park?
User avatar
Matt
LRR Crew
Posts: 9742
Joined: 14 Mar 2004, 00:19
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Matt » 10 Nov 2011, 10:33

Aside from the whole federal offence thing, the real idiocy of this is (as usual) that the health risks associated with getting chicken pox are DRAMATICALLY higher than the risks associated with vaccinating.

Idiots.

-m
Image

I am not angry at you.
User avatar
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
Posts: 2409
Joined: 15 Apr 2008, 23:46
First Video: The Writers Room
Location: *sigh* Haparanda, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Smeghead » 10 Nov 2011, 10:45

Yeah, besides. Kids go to school right? Thats where they pick up all the diseases. They don't need any help with that.

But I'm afraid that it all just part of why I despice Concerned Parents, because the moment that word is uttered, all logic, reason and sanity walks out the door.
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Nov 2011, 11:24

*hangs head in shame at this portion of humanity*
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
Fezzul
Posts: 2550
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 06:45
First Video: Toothy Smile
Location: New York

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Fezzul » 10 Nov 2011, 11:53

I was vaccinated for all this junk when I was a kid. Never got sick from any of the usual childhood stuff. I mean, my parents aren't perfect, but they got that bit just about as right it can go.

Then again, I was born in the country of the NHS... so I have a certain amount of sympathy for underprivileged people in the States and other countries without nationalized healthcare who can't afford to get the shots and so on.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
User avatar
Vigafre
Posts: 3920
Joined: 27 Jul 2009, 13:07
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Vigafre » 10 Nov 2011, 12:14

Yeah, I consider myself lucky on the vaccination regard. My parents got all that stuff done early, too, and have also never suffered from any major disease or sickness (even the flu).

This, though? Yeah, no, it's way too simple-minded.
taza
Posts: 144
Joined: 30 Nov 2009, 23:01
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby taza » 10 Nov 2011, 14:38

They are entirely idiots.

The vaccination has lower risks in every regard.
User avatar
Avistew
Posts: 2593
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 18:34
First Video: Can't remember
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Avistew » 10 Nov 2011, 16:12

I have no clue why people have such problems with vaccination. The one year I didn't get vaccinated against the flu, I caught it, reached 42 degrees Celsius and would be dead if my parents had not been doctors.

This being said, I did get chicken pox or measles, I can't remember which. I didn't die from it, but I also didn't need anyone contaminating me on purpose.

Seriously. Vaccination is like contaminating the kid, but only a little so they don't get the full on disease. Who in their right mind would think contaminating them the whole way is less risky than doing it a little bit? That's pretty ridiculous. If you're worried about vaccination, I don't understand why you wouldn't be even more worried about the disease itself.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Nov 2011, 16:20

Because vaccinations contain government mind control drugs and dangerous chemicals that will give our kids autism. Obviously.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
Duckay
Posts: 3706
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 00:57
First Video: Man Cooking
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Duckay » 10 Nov 2011, 16:29

The only reason I can think of not to vaccinate is if you happen to have a kid who has really bad reactions to vaccines for some reason - which usually, you would be aware of beforehand, it's not a random risk.
User avatar
Vigafre
Posts: 3920
Joined: 27 Jul 2009, 13:07
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Vigafre » 10 Nov 2011, 16:31

Or, you know, you don't have money.
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Metcarfre » 10 Nov 2011, 16:35

Oh America.
*
User avatar
Matt
LRR Crew
Posts: 9742
Joined: 14 Mar 2004, 00:19
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Matt » 10 Nov 2011, 16:36

Vigafre wrote:Or, you know, you don't have money.


Which is really only an issue in one western nation.

Though I'm reasonably certain there are free vaccination programs for kids in the US, because lack of vaccination is a public health risk.

-m
Image

I am not angry at you.
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Metcarfre » 10 Nov 2011, 16:38

Yeah, Rick Perry got in trouble (from Tea Partiers, natch), because he wanted to have girls get the HPV vaccine.
*
User avatar
Matt
LRR Crew
Posts: 9742
Joined: 14 Mar 2004, 00:19
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Matt » 10 Nov 2011, 16:41

I'm aware of that, but that's sex related, and we all know that sex is icky, and the advancement of sexual heath causes makes young girls into whores.

That's not the case for all vaccinations - I'm reasonably certain that public schools do require vaccination of children for several diseases (barring religious or heath exemptions) prior to enrollment.

-m
Image

I am not angry at you.
User avatar
Duckay
Posts: 3706
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 00:57
First Video: Man Cooking
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Duckay » 10 Nov 2011, 16:43

Vigafre wrote:Or, you know, you don't have money.


I grant that didn't even occur to me, because I was thinking of all the free vaccines I've had over the years.

metcarfre wrote:Yeah, Rick Perry got in trouble (from Tea Partiers, natch), because he wanted to have girls get the HPV vaccine.


That was all ridiculous. Of course, a couple of years ago, I would have complained about it because I thought the HPV vaccine was hell when I got it. Worst. Vaccine. Ever.
User avatar
Avistew
Posts: 2593
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 18:34
First Video: Can't remember
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Avistew » 10 Nov 2011, 20:50

Yeah, I didn't realise you had to pay for vaccinations. That's ridiculous. It's costing the government more if you get sick.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
User avatar
gcninja
Posts: 4698
Joined: 13 Dec 2008, 11:57
Location: Grand Canyon, AZ

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby gcninja » 10 Nov 2011, 20:55

Avistew wrote:Yeah, I didn't realise you had to pay for vaccinations. That's ridiculous. It's costing the government more if you get sick.

but don't vaccines come from pharmaceutical companies? We all know they're the most evil thing ever
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Image
Buksvager!
User avatar
TheRocket
Posts: 8428
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:17
First Video: Those Games That We Played
Location: Lake Titicaca
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby TheRocket » 10 Nov 2011, 21:21

Avistew wrote:Yeah, I didn't realise you had to pay for vaccinations. That's ridiculous. It's costing the government more if you get sick.



... no it's not. The government does not pay for your medical. They aren't paying if you get sick and they aren't vaccinating you either.

"Tough shit kid, it's your fault you're poor. You should be rich like me" is pretty much the mentality. Hence Occupy Wallstreet being so nice good smoochy in theory but fail in action.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
User avatar
King Kool
Quality and Quantity
Posts: 5981
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 19:22
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby King Kool » 10 Nov 2011, 21:23

Unrelated: Rocket, your avatar has been busted for a while, and it's messing with me. I've been staring at it so long to see if it actually said photoRocket to mess with me.
Image
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
User avatar
Avistew
Posts: 2593
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 18:34
First Video: Can't remember
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby Avistew » 10 Nov 2011, 21:53

TheRocket wrote:
Avistew wrote:Yeah, I didn't realise you had to pay for vaccinations. That's ridiculous. It's costing the government more if you get sick.



... no it's not. The government does not pay for your medical. They aren't paying if you get sick and they aren't vaccinating you either.


The government gets money from your taxes. Therefore it's in their interest for you to work. Therefore it's in their interest for you to stay healthy. I'm not quite sure about invalidity pensions and the like, but I'm pretty sure welfare is also an expense that comes from the government. Just because they don't pay directly for you to get better doesn't mean they don't lose money when you get sick.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
User avatar
TheRocket
Posts: 8428
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:17
First Video: Those Games That We Played
Location: Lake Titicaca
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby TheRocket » 10 Nov 2011, 21:57

King Kool wrote:Unrelated: Rocket, your avatar has been busted for a while, and it's messing with me. I've been staring at it so long to see if it actually said photoRocket to mess with me.



Image
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
User avatar
TheRocket
Posts: 8428
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:17
First Video: Those Games That We Played
Location: Lake Titicaca
Contact:

Re: Your parents giving you a lolipop? Time to send them to

Postby TheRocket » 10 Nov 2011, 22:03

Avistew wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Avistew wrote:Yeah, I didn't realise you had to pay for vaccinations. That's ridiculous. It's costing the government more if you get sick.



... no it's not. The government does not pay for your medical. They aren't paying if you get sick and they aren't vaccinating you either.


The government gets money from your taxes. Therefore it's in their interest for you to work. Therefore it's in their interest for you to stay healthy. I'm not quite sure about invalidity pensions and the like, but I'm pretty sure welfare is also an expense that comes from the government. Just because they don't pay directly for you to get better doesn't mean they don't lose money when you get sick.



They would lose far more money paying medical bills for people who aren't severely ill vs welfare for people who get severely ill. Truth is most people that get sick still go into work. Also, I highly doubt your kid getting chicken pox is going to throw you out of a job and into the arms of the government.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests