Any Android / iOS developers interested in a project?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Any Android / iOS developers interested in a project?

Postby Digital Dolphin » 08 Dec 2011, 22:37

As most/some/at-least-one of you know, I own a company dedicated to geek events in the Vancouver (BC) and surrounding areas. We both help organize events, as well as promote any other geeky events we hear about. We are now at a point where we feel that an app is a good a logical next step to growing our business, and bringing the geek communities together.

So, I'm here looking for someone with experience and app writing skills for both the Android and iOS platforms.

I basically want an app that does this:
http://www.appbrain.com/app/pax-assistant-*unofficial*/com.nickswar.paxapp
(but for both Android and iOS)

The main difference is that I want to be able to roll out updates for each event we organize or assist at. So people will receive notifications when the app has an update, and it will show them the next event coming up. Then they can build their own custom schedule based on the official one (or create their own personal notifications or reminders for private meetups at the event), access official maps, twitter content, our forums, or find out what guests will be there (if any).

Is there anyone interested in taking on this task?
To be clear, we would be using this app to benefit any conventions interested in working with us (which is most in our area, we're friendly peeps), and we are not asking for this to be done for free.
#TeamKroze
rustak
First Video: Man Cooking - Swiss Meat Roll

Re: Any Android / iOS developers interested in a project?

Postby rustak » 09 Dec 2011, 05:59

It sounds like the only feature that you really need an app for is notifications -- the rest could be done as a web app. If you already have a web developer, you could build it as a pure mobile web app that people could access without needing to install anything, and integrate it with your main site (user accounts, their own personal schedule, etc.). Then, use something like PhoneGap (phonegap.com) to package it as a native app to give you support for notifications. Doing it that way means that you can reach the maximum possible number of users, too; PhoneGap targets basically every smartphone OS out there.
Fugiman
First Video: Halo

Postby Fugiman » 09 Dec 2011, 07:13

I've developed Android apps before, but no iphone apps. That said, using PhoneGap (and by extension ApplicationCraft), I could likely produce something you'd be happy with. I'll spend the weekend looking into it before guaranteeing I can do the job though.
Twitter | Google+ | Steam
ClickQuest | MineCraft | Team Fortress 2
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 09 Dec 2011, 07:40

I'm not much beyond Hello World in both Android and iOS, and while I'd like to help, I think I'd be getting ahead of myself at this point. Depending on your time line I might be able to chip in a few months down the line though.
@mhasko
Digital Dolphin

Postby Digital Dolphin » 09 Dec 2011, 10:28

Hrm yes, a timeline is probably useful information too! /facepalm

We are running an event at the end of February that would be good to try it out at, but the event I REALLY want to have it done for is at the end of August. We also have an event coming up in June. Ideally the app would be ready at least a month before the event we would launch it for.

Put simply, if we can't have it by the end of January, then it's ok that it isn't done until May. If it absolutely needs to, it can be finished in July, but I'd prefer not to wait that long.

I'm also very much NOT a programmer, and really have no idea of what a realistic time frame would be for this kind of project. I'm guessing that end of February would be doable, but might be a bit rushed. May is probably reasonable though?
#TeamKroze
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 09 Dec 2011, 11:24

I'm learning both for work, but sadly my contract forbids me from doing side projects.

I do think that you'll find a mobile-optimised web page might be easier to get made.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Digital Dolphin

Postby Digital Dolphin » 09 Dec 2011, 12:23

Keab42 wrote:I'm learning both for work, but sadly my contract forbids me from doing side projects.

I do think that you'll find a mobile-optimised web page might be easier to get made.

I'm certainly open to arguments, but if it's strictly a web based thing I don't think I'll have nearly as much success at getting people to use it.

Apps on phones is super convenient, and there is a certain perception about it as well I think.
#TeamKroze
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 09 Dec 2011, 14:17

Absolutely.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr

Return to “General Discussion”