Menswear

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
Posts: 8913
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 22:53
First Video: Door to Door
Location: In England.

Menswear

Postby Lord Chrusher » 18 Dec 2011, 00:43

If it alright with metcarfre I will start LRR menswear thread going.

First the required reading: Put This On

To get the ball rolling: I agree with metcarfre, except for bowties, the four in hand knot is only knot you need.

I have to admit while I do want to dress better I am mostly unwilling to go the effort of dressing better.
Image
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Image
User avatar
Graham
Super Moderator
Posts: 15038
Joined: 09 Mar 2004, 19:37
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby Graham » 18 Dec 2011, 01:30

Lord Chrusher wrote:I have to admit while I do want to dress better I am mostly unwilling to go the effort of dressing better.
This, sadly.

I have about a hojillion better things to be doing with my time, considering that my dress does not affect my work or relationships.

Having said that! I do try to look well put together. I wear nice, well-fitting jeans; good shoes; plain sweaters and a nice jacket (over my extensive collection of t-shirts).

The point is, I try. And I think everyone should at least try.
User avatar
the_lone_bard
Posts: 1870
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 08:39
First Video: Black box...i think.
Location: The other victoria (aus)
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby the_lone_bard » 18 Dec 2011, 02:08

The only mens wear advice I have taken in the last 6 years was to start wearing a t-shirt under my normal shirts... Though if i can ever find a job i have a feeling i might get some new shirts... my 8 year old gunners shirt is great and all, but seriously.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: [email protected]
Skype: [email protected]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
User avatar
Keab42
Posts: 6662
Joined: 27 May 2009, 16:38
Location: In England

Re: Menswear

Postby Keab42 » 18 Dec 2011, 02:42

Our office is so hot that I'm still in short-sleeved shirts for work. Couldn't bear to wear a t-shirt under them.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
User avatar
the_lone_bard
Posts: 1870
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 08:39
First Video: Black box...i think.
Location: The other victoria (aus)
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby the_lone_bard » 18 Dec 2011, 03:02

I wear short sleeved shirts over t-shirts. It's no more hot than just wearing the t-shirt itself.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: [email protected]
Skype: [email protected]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
User avatar
Avistew
Posts: 2593
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 18:34
First Video: Can't remember
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Menswear

Postby Avistew » 18 Dec 2011, 03:53

I prefer when guys don't wear a T-shirt under their dress shirts, it's sexier. But I guess if the goal is to look professional, not sexy, it might be a good idea? And I can't really talk, anyways, as I always wear an undershirt.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
User avatar
the_lone_bard
Posts: 1870
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 08:39
First Video: Black box...i think.
Location: The other victoria (aus)
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby the_lone_bard » 18 Dec 2011, 04:42

I never look professional, mainly due to the fact that unless it's raining heavily the shirt stays completely unbuttoned. It's just there to not get sweaty when i wind up sweating (At my weight it's enevitable.)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: [email protected]
Skype: [email protected]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
User avatar
Seraphroy
Posts: 188
Joined: 20 Mar 2009, 12:35
First Video: Moving Out
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Menswear

Postby Seraphroy » 18 Dec 2011, 05:55

Monochrome t-shirt, khakis, and white running shoes is as professional as I get. 90% of the time I'm at work I'm covered by a lab coat anyway, so that becomes my attire more than anything else.
User avatar
Dutch guy
Posts: 5200
Joined: 11 Feb 2008, 17:12
First Video: History of Halo
Location: Southern Dutch Colonies

Re: Menswear

Postby Dutch guy » 18 Dec 2011, 06:50

Lord Chrusher wrote:...

To get the ball rolling: I agree with metcarfre, except for bowties, the four in hand knot is only knot you need.
...


I disagree. The four in hand looks too small on me. I need a full windsor to offset my rather sizable neck. A four in hand (or half windsor, which is almost the same) just doesn't look right.
Last edited by Dutch guy on 18 Dec 2011, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
User avatar
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
Posts: 8913
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 22:53
First Video: Door to Door
Location: In England.

Re: Menswear

Postby Lord Chrusher » 18 Dec 2011, 06:55

Undershirts are a bit of personal preference. They protect your buttoned shirt from sweat, allowing the outer shirt to last longer. The undershirt also makes you warmer which is either a reason to wear one or not depending on the climate and and your own thermostat. Except when you are trying to get a layered effect, you should not see the undershirt.
Image
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Image
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: Menswear

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Dec 2011, 08:24

I wear plain white cotton t-shirts that fit very snug under my button-front shirts. I find they 'wick' the sweat and keep me cool; I've yet to have a problem overheating (I usually roll up my sleeves at work anyways). Plus, they make it so the shirts stay cleaner, longer (I do less laundry since I've started dressing better).

Four-in-hand vs. everything else; I agree the four-in-hand is generally preferable (bowties, of course, notwithstanding), but if your neck is that large, it may be disproportionate (though I recall that spacejumpjosh guy in his cosplay thread had a four-in-hand the size of a Buick). In that case, consider the Pratt rather that the Windsor. It's the knot the Windsors actually wear.
*
User avatar
plummeting_sloth
Posts: 3180
Joined: 05 Dec 2011, 09:47
First Video: three PS3s
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby plummeting_sloth » 18 Dec 2011, 09:18

So when wearing dress shirt under the suit coat without tie, do you keep said shirts collar underneath the coat or do you bring it outside? I tend to go towards the latter as it usually ends up there throughout the night anyway, but I do feel a little Miami Vice doing it. Tangentially, why do I feel like a complete and utter douche if my shirt collar pops yet I feel like a bit of a badass when my peacoat's collar is popped? Is it that at least popping the coat collar has some utility behind it in keeping my neck warm, or is it just the people that tend to do the latter tend to be less assholeish than those that do the former?
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
User avatar
theDreamer
Posts: 5978
Joined: 20 May 2008, 17:51
First Video: Quantum Documentary
Location: 5th Level of Hell

Re: Menswear

Postby theDreamer » 18 Dec 2011, 09:24

I always wear a half windsor, because tradition.

Also it's so easy to tie.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
User avatar
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
Posts: 9010
Joined: 13 Mar 2007, 19:20
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby tak197 » 18 Dec 2011, 13:09

I have so much info to give you all. I have worked in men's retail for a few years now and I think I could be a menswear stylist if needed. I'd post more but I'm at the aforementioned job right now. I'll take questions later. Just ask me!
Image
Image
User avatar
Matt
LRR Crew
Posts: 9742
Joined: 14 Mar 2004, 00:19
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby Matt » 18 Dec 2011, 13:11

I also wear a half-windsor, because It's the knot I know best. I should make an effort to learn others.

More reading: http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/

The sub itself is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE circlejerk, but the sidebar is a wealth of basic advice that I find extremely useful as I work towards building a better wardrobe.

Also: I posted this to twitter yesterday. This article was obviously written by someone who wants GQ editors to dress better because the specific bits advice (and price points) are totally unsuitable for office jobs anywhere else.

That said, the general rules aren't half bad at all. End result. I LOL'd.

Image

-m
Image

I am not angry at you.
User avatar
Matt
LRR Crew
Posts: 9742
Joined: 14 Mar 2004, 00:19
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby Matt » 18 Dec 2011, 13:15

plummeting_sloth wrote:So when wearing dress shirt under the suit coat without tie, do you keep said shirts collar underneath the coat or do you bring it outside? I tend to go towards the latter as it usually ends up there throughout the night anyway, but I do feel a little Miami Vice doing it.


NEVER.

Collar stays under the jacket... unless you actually WANT to look like the miami vice.

And looking at images, they actually kept their collars under their jackets too.

Tangentially, why do I feel like a complete and utter douche if my shirt collar pops


Because that's how you look :p

yet I feel like a bit of a badass when my peacoat's collar is popped?


Because that's how you look :p

Is it that at least popping the coat collar has some utility behind it in keeping my neck warm, or is it just the people that tend to do the latter tend to be less assholeish than those that do the former?


Utility and design, coat collars are designed to be worn up, for that reason, and tend to be designed to look good doing so.

-m
Image

I am not angry at you.
User avatar
Aeralis
Posts: 255
Joined: 22 Nov 2010, 20:22
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Menswear

Postby Aeralis » 18 Dec 2011, 13:18

Avistew wrote:I prefer when guys don't wear a T-shirt under their dress shirts, it's sexier. But I guess if the goal is to look professional, not sexy, it might be a good idea?

It really depends on the shirt, the temperature, and the guy. And yeah, typically professional means undershirt, fun night out means no undershirt and maybe a button or two undone.

I'm also starting to discover that I'm really into the "dress pants + dress shirt + vest" look. I'm thinking my next clothing purchase may involve a vest.
User avatar
plummeting_sloth
Posts: 3180
Joined: 05 Dec 2011, 09:47
First Video: three PS3s
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby plummeting_sloth » 18 Dec 2011, 13:39

Matt wrote:
plummeting_sloth wrote:So when wearing dress shirt under the suit coat without tie, do you keep said shirts collar underneath the coat or do you bring it outside? I tend to go towards the latter as it usually ends up there throughout the night anyway, but I do feel a little Miami Vice doing it.


NEVER.

Collar stays under the jacket... unless you actually WANT to look like the miami vice.

And looking at images, they actually kept their collars under their jackets too.



Dammit... I knew I felt like 2 wild and crazy guys. Hmmm... maybe if I starch the collars I can get those buggers under control so they don't flop out.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
User avatar
the_lone_bard
Posts: 1870
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 08:39
First Video: Black box...i think.
Location: The other victoria (aus)
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby the_lone_bard » 18 Dec 2011, 13:47

...Must resist dick jokes.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: [email protected]
Skype: [email protected]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
User avatar
Matt
LRR Crew
Posts: 9742
Joined: 14 Mar 2004, 00:19
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby Matt » 18 Dec 2011, 13:52

plummeting_sloth wrote:
Matt wrote:
plummeting_sloth wrote:So when wearing dress shirt under the suit coat without tie, do you keep said shirts collar underneath the coat or do you bring it outside? I tend to go towards the latter as it usually ends up there throughout the night anyway, but I do feel a little Miami Vice doing it.


NEVER.

Collar stays under the jacket... unless you actually WANT to look like the miami vice.

And looking at images, they actually kept their collars under their jackets too.



Dammit... I knew I felt like 2 wild and crazy guys. Hmmm... maybe if I starch the collars I can get those buggers under control so they don't flop out.



Do you use collar stays? Collared shirts intended for wear with jackets usually have stiffer collars. They shouldn't really need to be starched. (though it doesn't hurt)

-m
Image

I am not angry at you.
User avatar
gcninja
Posts: 4698
Joined: 13 Dec 2008, 11:57
Location: Grand Canyon, AZ

Re: Menswear

Postby gcninja » 18 Dec 2011, 14:01

Rather good timing this showed up. I'm the type to go out in (years) old jeans and what not with an anime shirt or video game one.
I still WILL wear these, however, having been to civilization recently; I decided a slight change is in order. I picked up quite a few dress/formal pants (as all I had on me was two pairs of paints and shorts) and a few button ups. Nothing formal but a blue one and a flannel pattern brown one to go with my current button ups. I also picked up a tie if I'm feeling really fancy.
I also got a fedora hat and some nice black shoes. They have the nike swish, but it blends really well. I look more like the original guy from the GQ thing, but it's nicer than my old look
The fedora, I will only wear once I get a closer hair cut as my hair is thinning, so to make it look nicer (without the fedora) I'm going all the way down.
I'll try and get a pic later, but don't count on it.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Image
Buksvager!
User avatar
plummeting_sloth
Posts: 3180
Joined: 05 Dec 2011, 09:47
First Video: three PS3s
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: Menswear

Postby plummeting_sloth » 18 Dec 2011, 14:06

the_lone_bard wrote:...Must resist dick jokes.


Oh you be quiet. Young men that rub me up the wrong way will come to a sticky end!

At -m

I figured that might be the case. I know it's not a problem for most of them; there's just two or three where I really like how the color worked with the jackets I already had and didn't feel like shelling out the money for it's jacket-paired equivalent. Although, those shirts are getting on in years, so perhaps it's time to sub them out.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: Menswear

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Dec 2011, 14:58

If you like the suit-no-tie look, go with button-down collars, which are inherently more casual anyways.

Fedoras; do not wear such a hat without a jacket. I will say it again; do not wear a hat without a jacket.

If you wear a fedora without a jacket you are cosplaying as Indiana Jones and you are wrong.
Image

Here's another graphic I like;
Image

Twenty-five Pieces of Basic Sartorial Knowledge so You Don't Look Dumb

“Whenever I see people with their collars up, I’m tempted to point it out to them like you would for someone who has a food stain on their shirt or food in their teeth, as if to say, ‘Your fashion sense is so offensive I’m assuming it’s some sort of accident you’ll want to fix.” — Stephan Pastis
*
User avatar
theDreamer
Posts: 5978
Joined: 20 May 2008, 17:51
First Video: Quantum Documentary
Location: 5th Level of Hell

Re: Menswear

Postby theDreamer » 18 Dec 2011, 15:10

I reject your statement about Fedoras, met, but not out of hand.

Merely, I have counter examples:

My friend John
Image

For if he were to take off his coat (and as you can plainly see, that's a COAT), does he suddenly look lame?

For John, even in summer, always wears a shirt, tie, and a fedora.

And he always looks good.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: Menswear

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Dec 2011, 15:12

First of all, that is not a fedora.

Second of all, I personally find that look to be of very questionable non-lameness.

Also; I can't believe this has to be said, but don't wear your hat inside. Take it off.
*

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests