Menswear

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Re: Menswear

Postby Metcarfre » 15 Feb 2013, 15:08

If people are more down with clothes that are quote-unquote "functional" and want to dress like urban ninjas, they might be excited by all the discussion of techwear that's going on in MFA.

I also wrote this;
I guess my point is that this outgrowth is less likely to come from the original endusers themselves or the brands specifically adapted to their demands and more by designers usurping certain aspects and recontextualizing them into less performance-demanding lifestyles.

Holy shit I am a nerd.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 15 Feb 2013, 19:02

Yes, yes you are.

I'm satisfied with my current wardrobe, so I've stopped really paying attention to menswear. I should get back to reading An Affordable Wardrobe though.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 17 Feb 2013, 16:41

Who just scored Alden shell cordovan plain-toe oxfords (934) that retail for $650, for $90? This guy.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 20 Feb 2013, 21:12

You son of a-

-m

I am not angry at you.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 21 Feb 2013, 01:49

Matt wrote:You son of a-

-m

Men-swear?
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
TheGhostOfZero
First Video: The Job

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 21 Feb 2013, 01:52

This is the Menswear thread, not the joke thread; but regardless, nice catch.
/fingergun
Zero

Geoff_B wrote:I wish to complain. That last picture is not Kittens, it's the son of Sauron!
Mister Fiend wrote:Does that mean I get to violence someone? Please say yes.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 21 Feb 2013, 09:23

bahahaha
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Feb 2013, 10:43

New shoes -
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 Feb 2013, 03:02

Quite nice.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Kortanios
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Kortanios » 26 Feb 2013, 15:54

Those shoes = Nice

So I was wondering... Scarves, can I wear a striped scarf with a striped shirt, and can I wear rectangular pattern scarves with striped shirts? (This is more about whether it is a faux pas rather than whether it works, I know some of these combos work). Also, should I get more flashy colours (mainly reds) as most of my scarves are in the blue, black, brown, or green spectrum...
Ergo bibamus!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 26 Feb 2013, 17:48

Generally, with patterns, the rule is similar patterns -> vary scale, different patterns -> keep scale the same.

A red scarf is fine.
Wolfwood723
First Video: Poker Before Dusk

Postby Wolfwood723 » 28 Feb 2013, 20:54

So I figured I should jump in the conversation. I recently decided to rework my wardrobe in a more mature direction. Got a few things to start with, this is one of the outfits I put together.

Also have these Fluevogs on the way. Can't wait to have them in hand(or on foot as it were)

ObiWan Canadian on twitch and XBL
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Mar 2013, 07:54

http://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalefashion/comments/19y16j/50_off_ties_and_pocket_squares_at_the_knottery/

Just a note to Alex and whoever, 50% of ties and pocket squares at the knottery.
Kortanios
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Kortanios » 15 Mar 2013, 15:36

Thanks for the advice, Metcarfre. I am at the moment in the process of replacing my wardrobe, one piece at a time... And to be honest this thread has been very useful so far, so also a general "thank you" to everyone who contributed so far :)
Ergo bibamus!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 16 Mar 2013, 06:01

I'm pretty done shilling this thread anymore, but thank you. Again, I'm a mod on http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/, so I can vouch for it. Most of the advice there is good, especially if it comes from a "Consistent Contributor", but anyone can comment, so be wary. Most of the sidebar material is good, give it a read as well.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Mar 2013, 08:41

Ties.

Square end, Pointed end or round end?

I know that the squared ends are generally knit but not always.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 16 Mar 2013, 08:48

I don't know that I've ever seen a round end. In general, square end is considered more casual, and as you say usually a hallmark of knits. Also, with a square end, a tie looks a little better if it's a touch narrower - but still in proportion to yourself, your jacket lapels, shirt collar, etc.

Fwiw I just purchased a black knit silk tie (square end) and I'd argue it or a black grenadine may be your most versatile tie of all.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 18 Apr 2013, 21:24

Interview tomorrow for a Uni bookstore, temp (VERY SMALL CHANCE) possible permanent. Also, looking around town for jobs. So I'm going informal to all, as in button up, nice black shoes, black belt, grey trilby and X clothing. By "X clothing" I mean I have the choice of the following:
Shirt:
Dark Blue long sleeve
Maroon Long Sleeve
Black/Light blue/sky blue long sleeve stripe (neat looking, not party galore one)

Pants:
White
Grey
Silver/shinyish
Black

I will be hitting up a couple thrift shops before hand so if I find enough for a three piece (vest, black tie, and jacket), suggestions for color or if I shouldn't go so formal?
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Apr 2013, 22:52

I'm horrible at colour matching, so no idea what would look good on you specifically. A blue shirt goes decent on most people, so it gets my vote. For pants, I'd probably go with either the grey or the black ones.

For the more formal look, it would be great if you could find a three piece, but I'd probably leave the vest out more of the time anyways, so don't make that a sticking point. For colour, navy and charcoal are the most versatile. Avoid pinstripe if at all possible though. However I'd say that getting something with a proper fit is the most important aspect to look out for (after making sure that everything's in good condition, of course). A poorly fitted jacket or pants will make you stick out like a sore thumb (of course, a tailor can make minor alterations, but even then you'll want to get as close as possible first).

Unless it's looking like it will rain (I love a brimmed hat in the rain), I'd also drop the trilby. Maybe you can actually pull that kind of hat off, but 90% of those who think they can, can't. If you do want to go for it though, make sure to be wearing a jacket.

While you're at the thrift store, also keep an eye out for khakis and a decent white dress shirt.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 18 Apr 2013, 23:37

Well I actually think most of the possible colour combinations from your list would be acceptable, Met. The maroon shirt and the white or the grey pants would look p. good imo. If I'm imagining the colours correctly. ;)
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 19 Apr 2013, 01:30

Master Gunner wrote:I'm horrible at colour matching, so no idea what would look good on you specifically. A blue shirt goes decent on most people, so it gets my vote. For pants, I'd probably go with either the grey or the black ones.

For the more formal look, it would be great if you could find a three piece, but I'd probably leave the vest out more of the time anyways, so don't make that a sticking point. For colour, navy and charcoal are the most versatile. Avoid pinstripe if at all possible though. However I'd say that getting something with a proper fit is the most important aspect to look out for (after making sure that everything's in good condition, of course). A poorly fitted jacket or pants will make you stick out like a sore thumb (of course, a tailor can make minor alterations, but even then you'll want to get as close as possible first).

No time for tailoring unfortunately. Nor do I know of any in town (Don't live there YET (two weeks))
Unless it's looking like it will rain (I love a brimmed hat in the rain), I'd also drop the trilby. Maybe you can actually pull that kind of hat off, but 90% of those who think they can, can't. If you do want to go for it though, make sure to be wearing a jacket.

Shame as I feel so naked without one as I wear a shaved head. It would come off just before the interview, but again, just so odd without it...
While you're at the thrift store, also keep an eye out for khakis and a decent white dress shirt.

I might have a white one around but it just seems way to typical. Blue isn't "OMG outta the norm", just different.
The Jester wrote:Well I actually think most of the possible colour combinations from your list would be acceptable, Met. The maroon shirt and the white or the grey pants would look p. good imo. If I'm imagining the colours correctly. ;)

Not met, good try though. However, here's the maroon/white as best I could get it
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 19 Apr 2013, 09:37

Don't go formal.

Find a light-blue shirt, ideally button-down. Gray pants.

Lose the hat, at least indoors.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 05 Jun 2013, 15:08

Having been directed here to this thread by the supposedly "all-knowing" metcarfre, just wanted to say.. Assumed they were my fashion choices? Nope. Merely asking a generic question overall, mostly about why you're the decider now. =P
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Jun 2013, 15:36

If people don't care about what they wear, it's really no skin off my nose. Worst-case, you may present a poorer version of yourself to the world, which may or may not affect things like job interviews, interactions with your chosen romantic/sexual objects of desire, etc.

For me, it's a hobby, I enjoy it, and I have my own reasons. Everyone has the thing they love and may find difficult to justify in terms of cost - that's what makes it a hobby. I mean, justify video games, fly-fishing, miniature train building, woodworking, etc.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 05 Jun 2013, 17:23

That's more than fair enough. I just mean.. Why does it matter what other people wear? How is that part of the hobby, I mean?

I honestly never liked the whole "Fashion Police" thing for awards shows and such too. All the "Who wore it best?" nonsense.. It tends to irk me. What someone chooses to wear is their own business, right?

I mean, when I'm out of the house, I generally want to look presentable and well-dressed. Suiting up is never a bad thing. :D

Return to “General Discussion”