Menswear

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Re: Menswear

Postby Metcarfre » 16 Dec 2012, 14:49

Keab42 wrote:Put an Apple Logo on it, I bet you could get double.

Wow - two varieties of nerddom that I hate colliding in one sentence. Well played.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 16 Dec 2012, 17:28

Met:

I need a pair of dress shoes before Christmas Eve. Would black cap toe Oxfords be a good choice? I also would like a pair of more casual shoes which are (Victoria or Australia) winter appropriate.

I do not know how much I am willing to pay. I can afford to pay for quality.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 16 Dec 2012, 17:46

Also where is a good place for men's wear in general in Victoria? I also need a pair of dress pants for the Christmas Eve dinner I am going to. Mid grey wool right?

Also where should one thrift in Victoria?
TheGhostOfZero
First Video: The Job

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 16 Dec 2012, 20:39

Clear It (I think that's what it's called) in Brunswick street, Melbourne is good, and there are a lot of places nearby.
/fingergun
Zero

Geoff_B wrote:I wish to complain. That last picture is not Kittens, it's the son of Sauron!
Mister Fiend wrote:Does that mean I get to violence someone? Please say yes.
UnarmedOracle
First Video: mosh pit etiquette

Postby UnarmedOracle » 16 Dec 2012, 21:19

A reasonable hoodie (or so I've heard): http://www.american-giant.com/full-zip- ... shirt.html

Good places to shop for menswear in Victoria are Outlook, Four Horsemen, and Philip Nyren - if you can afford to spend the money. The Patch is a great thrift store, and there are plenty of general retail outlets like BR and the Gap for midrange gear.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 16 Dec 2012, 23:14

Lord Chrusher wrote:Met:

I need a pair of dress shoes before Christmas Eve. Would black cap toe Oxfords be a good choice?

Context? Black cap-toes I'd generally reserve for more formal occasions - suit at a minimum.

I also would like a pair of more casual shoes which are (Victoria or Australia) winter appropriate.

A good pair of boots, Red Wing or other, would serve you well. It depends on your exact wants in terms of weatherproofness, durability, formality, etc. A pair of Red Wings or similarly styled boots could do, and I'm currently pondering some Bean Boots myself. There's also something like a country brogue, wingtip or otherwise brogued shoes that also have lugged soles.

My ideal pair of boots, of course, is a pair of Alden or Carmina cordovan cap-toe, commando-soled boots. Of course, they cost in the $700-$800 range.

Lord Chrusher wrote:Also where is a good place for men's wear in general in Victoria? I also need a pair of dress pants for the Christmas Eve dinner I am going to. Mid grey wool right?

Oracle named some good spots, note that unless you are on a strict time crunch there's no reason to buy at BR or Gap and similar stores without a general 30-40% off sale, which are practically weekly.

Also, don't forget your old-school department stores such as the Bay or Sears will occasionally have gems.

If you are looking for a general pair of dress trousers, it's hard to go wrong with a mid-gray wool, indeed.

As for thrifting, Patch has some decent stuff, but I've always seen to do better at the smaller spots. I can't remember any names, unfortunately. Oh, and it's always been bollocks to find any pants that fit.

On the subject of hoodies, here, made in Vancouver.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 17 Dec 2012, 03:37

TheGhostOfZero wrote:Clear It (I think that's what it's called) in Brunswick street, Melbourne is good, and there are a lot of places nearby.

Normally I would be looking for places in Melbourne but currently I am looking places in the Victoria in British Columbia

Thanks
Metcarfre wrote:
Lord Chrusher wrote:Met:

I need a pair of dress shoes before Christmas Eve. Would black cap toe Oxfords be a good choice?

Context? Black cap-toes I'd generally reserve for more formal occasions - suit at a minimum.

I also would like a pair of more casual shoes which are (Victoria or Australia) winter appropriate.

A good pair of boots, Red Wing or other, would serve you well. It depends on your exact wants in terms of weatherproofness, durability, formality, etc. A pair of Red Wings or similarly styled boots could do, and I'm currently pondering some Bean Boots myself. There's also something like a country brogue, wingtip or otherwise brogued shoes that also have lugged soles.

My ideal pair of boots, of course, is a pair of Alden or Carmina cordovan cap-toe, commando-soled boots. Of course, they cost in the $700-$800 range.

Lord Chrusher wrote:Also where is a good place for men's wear in general in Victoria? I also need a pair of dress pants for the Christmas Eve dinner I am going to. Mid grey wool right?

Oracle named some good spots, note that unless you are on a strict time crunch there's no reason to buy at BR or Gap and similar stores without a general 30-40% off sale, which are practically weekly.

Also, don't forget your old-school department stores such as the Bay or Sears will occasionally have gems.

If you are looking for a general pair of dress trousers, it's hard to go wrong with a mid-gray wool, indeed.

As for thrifting, Patch has some decent stuff, but I've always seen to do better at the smaller spots. I can't remember any names, unfortunately. Oh, and it's always been bollocks to find any pants that fit.

On the subject of hoodies, here, made in Vancouver.

I am planing to wear a navy blazer, blue sweater, a tie, dress shirt and the grey dress pants. A little more reading of Put This On suggests a brown Derby might be a lot more versatile than a black Oxford. Do you agree? A pair of chukka boots should also be on my mind. I do not own a good pair of dress shoes so a pair of of black oxfords would be a good addition. On the flip side I rarely wear suits so a more causal shoe might be a better idea.
I have to admit that the only shoes I brought with me are a pair of black high top Chuck Ts. I have to say I am some what under whelmed by the quality of Chuck Ts.

My previous hoodie was from American Apparel and I was quite happy with it. A hoodie is also something I am in the market for while I am in Victoria.
TheGhostOfZero

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 17 Dec 2012, 03:57

Lord Chrusher wrote:
TheGhostOfZero wrote:Clear It (I think that's what it's called) in Brunswick street, Melbourne is good, and there are a lot of places nearby.

Normally I would be looking for places in Melbourne but currently I am looking places in the Victoria in British Columbia

Thanks

Well you could've mentioned that :|
/fingergun
Zero

Geoff_B wrote:I wish to complain. That last picture is not Kittens, it's the son of Sauron!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 17 Dec 2012, 07:40

Lord Chrusher wrote:I am planing to wear a navy blazer, blue sweater, a tie, dress shirt and the grey dress pants. A little more reading of Put This On suggests a brown Derby might be a lot more versatile than a black Oxford. Do you agree? A pair of chukka boots should also be on my mind. I do not own a good pair of dress shoes so a pair of of black oxfords would be a good addition. On the flip side I rarely wear suits so a more causal shoe might be a better idea.
I have to admit that the only shoes I brought with me are a pair of black high top Chuck Ts. I have to say I am some what under whelmed by the quality of Chuck Ts.

My previous hoodie was from American Apparel and I was quite happy with it. A hoodie is also something I am in the market for while I am in Victoria.

For a black cap-toe, it's hard to go wrong with a Park Avenue from AE.

Brown derbies are an excellent, versatile choice. Just make sure you don't go for anything too clunky. I really like the look of a longwing gunboat, such as the AE MacNeil, and this would be perfect in cordovan as well (although that adds considerably to the cost).

Chukkas are a good bet, too. The oft-recommend Clarks Desert Boots are decent and relatively inexpensive, and to the best of my knowledge would work well in Australia as well.

If you're looking for other sneakers, I quite like my Jack Purcells. Still manufactured by Converse, but slightly higher quality, and to my mind a nicer design with fewer "punk", etc. connotations. If you want nicer than that, well, there's a whole rabbit hole of sneakers to fall down into.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 17 Dec 2012, 11:06

Chuck Taylor's are also, (ostensibly) warrantied for a year, just FYI.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 17 Dec 2012, 12:38

Hey met, can you do me a favour and let me know if you see anything nice at that ingledews in a brown/black Oxford or Derby Cap-toe or Wingtip?

Ideally brown wingtip, black Oxford, but I'll fudge it if necessary.

I'm in sure need of both a casual and a dress shoe, and I can't afford to be dropping $350 a pair.

I can get to Brentwood easy, so all I need is a heads up.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 20 Dec 2012, 13:41

I saw some AE Lombards on for ~$200, some other decent stuff too. I think the retail stores dump a bunch of stuff in January and the Brentwood location has a clearance then. I'll keep you informed.

Yo Canuck peeps wondering about the Target takeover of Zellers and whether that translates to any of their sweet stuff making it north of the border, I got this message on reddit;
I'm involved with Target's Canadian expansion. They have purchased basically all the Zeller's stores to remodel, but are not just putting up a new sign. The Target brass consider the Zellers stores dirty badly-lit shitholes, and are spending millions to tear down each store to the bare bones and redo everything.

I guarantee the Canadian Targets will be 1000X better than the Zellers were.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 20 Dec 2012, 16:50

"Dirty, badly lit, shitholes" is the name of my marianas trench cover band.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 20 Dec 2012, 21:48

TheGhostOfZero wrote:Also, black hoodie + black trench coat + black trousers + metal mask = grim reaper.

If you're actually interested in this style you might want to check out the Goth Ninja guide at MFA, which is actually really good (even if I have little interest in it).
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 20 Dec 2012, 22:45

Metcarfre wrote:
TheGhostOfZero wrote:Also, black hoodie + black trench coat + black trousers + metal mask = grim reaper.

If you're actually interested in this style you might want to check out the Goth Ninja guide at MFA, which is actually really good (even if I have little interest in it).

That thread was AMAZING.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 20 Dec 2012, 23:28

Metcarfre wrote:I saw some AE Lombards on for ~$200, some other decent stuff too. I think the retail stores dump a bunch of stuff in January and the Brentwood location has a clearance then. I'll keep you informed.

Yo Canuck peeps wondering about the Target takeover of Zellers and whether that translates to any of their sweet stuff making it north of the border, I got this message on reddit;
I'm involved with Target's Canadian expansion. They have purchased basically all the Zeller's stores to remodel, but are not just putting up a new sign. The Target brass consider the Zellers stores dirty badly-lit shitholes, and are spending millions to tear down each store to the bare bones and redo everything.

I guarantee the Canadian Targets will be 1000X better than the Zellers were.

I can personally confirm the Zeller's at Hillside mall in Victoria is now a pile of rubble.
TheGhostOfZero

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 21 Dec 2012, 00:15

Metcarfre wrote:

Reminds me that I need to get some boots.

I really like Rogue, and Sorcerer.
/fingergun
Zero

Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 21 Dec 2012, 07:15

Don't forget parts II and III.

Please note the "character classes" are just tongue-in-cheek terms used to describe an extremely hard to characterize fashion sub-movement. "Goth Ninja", in and of itself, isn't really a term for it either.

Oh, and note that most of the stuff is really expensive.

The "Rogue" is hard because leather jackets, unless you find a gem at a thrift store, are very expensive. The Sorcerer is tough because it's incredibly easy to look like a doofus (a couple of those look pretty bad to me).

I kind of like the Druids, especially the first example pic.
TheGhostOfZero

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 21 Dec 2012, 07:29

I've got them all loaded up for future viewing, thanks.

I really like this quote: “Black is not sad. Bright colors are what depresses me. They’re so … empty. Black is poetic. How do you imagine a poet? In a bright yellow jacket? Probably not.” - Ann Demeulemeester
/fingergun
Zero

Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 21 Dec 2012, 07:30

Whatever floats your boat.

I quite liked this;
Heavy armor is associated with a higher encumbrance, which in Goth Ninja is defined by how often strangers make comments about your clothing.
TheGhostOfZero

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 21 Dec 2012, 07:33

Haha, yeah.

I love black clothing, but in summer I'm just as likely to wear a light blue polo shirt and khaki shorts.

Oh, don't look at me like that. I'm a guitarist. What did you expect, perma-suit?
/fingergun
Zero

The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 21 Dec 2012, 10:43

A long black cloak is the highest tier of equipment.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 21 Dec 2012, 11:01

Specifically, with a pointy hood.

Warlock class is unique because it is unlocked only once you have maxed out your level in another class. Only then can you have your character transition into a Warlock.

The MFA legend Veroz demonstrates.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 21 Dec 2012, 13:47

Sorry I not want to dress like a Nazgul.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 21 Dec 2012, 14:10

.... I
I wanna play....
What is all this RP stuff and what is a good information outlet?
^( " )^
winner!

Return to “General Discussion”