Foods What We Have Made And Eaten

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Re: Foods What We Have Made And Eaten

Postby plummeting_sloth » 21 Jan 2012, 19:36

JackSlack wrote:So last night I had Duckay, who is vegetarian, over. So it was time for me to try and ...

...Add in lentils, simmer until it reduces to a nice thick sauce, stir through spaghetti; serve with feta crumbled on top and salad on side.

What is it with you two and lentils in thing I would not normally put lentils. Muffins and spaghetti sauces?
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 21 Jan 2012, 20:05

Well, both were delicious. Plus, you clearly need to watch "The Worst Homosexual" if you question the joy of lentil muffins.

Although, I am surprised. Spaghetti sauce seems a very natural place for lentils.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 23 Jan 2012, 20:55

They have yet to migrate outside of Indian Cuisine for me. I don't trust them unless they're weighed down by curry powder.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 24 Jan 2012, 15:36

LONG PIC INCOMING! Because I can
I wanna make this soon because I've never made chili before
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jan 2012, 15:41

Pretty weaksauce on the seasonings, and when I make chili I prefer to not use canned beans, but seems good. Drain that beef well, too, and it's not that bad for you, either.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 24 Jan 2012, 15:44

I was thinking that bout the seasonings too, but mostly because when I season, I want to TASTE IT ALL, not just a slight flavor. Also, my chili will probably have tabasco in it as well
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jan 2012, 15:47

Well yeah.

Also he uses tomato sauce instead of fresh or canned tomatoes, which is also lame. I want chunks o' tomatoes in my chili.

Edit; ALSO ALSO, saltines, not tortilla chips? GET OUT.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 24 Jan 2012, 15:50

When I cook chili I usually use canned tomatoes and beans because I'm a bit of a philistine. But then, I'm all about mixing spices myself rather than using a packet. Mostly so I can indulge my not-so-secret lust for cumin.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jan 2012, 15:52

Cumin is so good.

And canned beans aren't that bad, I guess.

And let it not go without saying that dried beans can be a pain in the ass, in the "well I'll just soak this smallish bag of beans overnight - WHERE DID FIFTY POUNDS OF BEANS COME FROM!?!?" sort of way.
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 24 Jan 2012, 15:55

Did you actually buy a package of seasoning just so you could throw it away?
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 24 Jan 2012, 15:56

metcarfre wrote:And canned beans aren't that bad, I guess.

And let it not go without saying that dried beans can be a pain in the ass, in the "well I'll just soak this smallish bag of beans overnight - WHERE DID FIFTY POUNDS OF BEANS COME FROM!?!?" sort of way.

That's why I mostly used canned beans, yeah. I don't need my house overflowing with beans because I misjudged the size dry.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 24 Jan 2012, 16:13

If that was in a cookbook, I hope it would slap me when I opened it for daring to ask for instruction on making chili
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 24 Jan 2012, 16:19

Ok, so here seems as good a place to gather all the information I can.

I am a vegetarian. Have been all my life. I've learned to cook foods that I like and experiment, doing it pretty damn well!

But! My girlfriend likes to eat meat and LOVES her bearnaise sauce. She said she can't imagine a meal without meat. I am looking to surprise her one day by cooking a FANTASTIC meal for her. (I've not found out specifically what she likes outside of roast chicken.)

Now I've never cooked meat before but have heard all the horror stories of poorly cooked meat causing a lot of diseases and problems. Is there any advice anyone can give me? Even right down to the simplest thing! Keep in mind I genuinely do know nothing about cooking meat properly and am sure as hell not going to poison the woman I love!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 24 Jan 2012, 16:22

First of all: I hear you. I am terrible at cooking meat since I've been a vegetarian for a long, long time (not my whole life, but since before I started cooking).

Personally, if I have to cook meat for something, I try to focus on meat that you can tell is properly cooked; something like mince where it's pretty obvious.

Alternatively, if you find a recipe, make sure you follow it to the letter. And try to find one that tells you in detail what the end product should look like.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 24 Jan 2012, 16:25

Make sure its dark in and out (not counting steaks)
if you have a thermometer, 165F is the minimal temp for done. 1 always go 175F when I can.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/is_it_done_yet/brochure_text/index.asp

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 24 Jan 2012, 17:03

Yeah... definitely get yourself a good thermometer (as you don't have a lot of the previous experience of knowing timewise when things should be done). I typically find the USDA guidelines to temperatures to be a bit overboard, so I might suggest five degrees lower across the board, but if you are truly panicked about health concerns, they certainly won't hurt you. My best advice, temperature reading wise, is if you are getting close in temperature with a piece of meat, rather than waiting a few minutes and poking a new hole in it, just remove it from the heat and wrap it in foil. Most meat has a few degree drift upward once removed from heat, so use that to your advantage.
Last edited by plummeting_sloth on 24 Jan 2012, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 24 Jan 2012, 17:12

This is all valuable information and I've bookmarked the site.

Thank you all and believe me when I say I'm still open to any more advice!
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 24 Jan 2012, 17:19

There's no such thing as sealing in the juices. Grilling your steak first might give it a more crisp, caramelized outer texture, but you actually lose more of the meats internal moisture this way. Absolutely thing wrong with sticking that sucker right under the broiler with no previous cooking.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jan 2012, 18:00

Most big chunks of meat that you roast/bake are best cooked by time at temperature per unit weight, if that makes any sense. Are you looking to make something special, or just an everyday meal?

My #1 tip for meats is you should always let meat rest for a couple minutes post-cooking. Otherwise you will lose all the juices and it gets tough.

My best easy meat recipe is for chicken breasts. Preheat your oven to 350 F. Heat a non-stick, oven-safe frying pan to medium-high heat. Put some olive oil in the pan, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Season the chicken breasts with kosher salt, black pepper, dried thyme, and dried oregano. Sear on both sides, two minutes per side. Slice a lemon in half; squeeze one half over one side of the breast as it cooks, and the other over the... other. Toss the squeezed lemon halves, cut-side down, in to the pan with the chicken. Put the pan in the oven for about fifteen minutes, less if they're smallish breasts. Remove (use an oven mitt!) and put the breasts out to rest for a couple minutes. Serve.

The 'cook's treat' here is gnawing on the roasted lemons soaked with chicken-y goodness.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 24 Jan 2012, 18:07

Also, if you are trying to get a nice grilled skin on something, once it goes down on the hot pan, don't mess about with it. Let is sear unmoved, the flip it and do the same to the other side. Moving it about might look impressive, but all your doing is dissipating the heat and tearing away the caramelized bits.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jan 2012, 18:22

Yeah, and only flip it once! This goes for steaks, burgers, chops, anything you want a pan- or grill-sear on.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 24 Jan 2012, 18:33

Cannot thank you all enough! I really hope she enjoys it. Maybe this is one of the times where my fast-learning pays off and I get it right first time. Or maybe I'll end up creating some sort of Frankenchicken.

Oh and it won't be any time soon. I'm talking like next year when we both get our lives sorted out and start visiting each other when we can.

Also, REALLY going to buy a recipe book. Might make a few cakes too! I used to be good at that when I was younger but kinda lost all incentive when I can just buy the damn things.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 24 Jan 2012, 18:34

I love making cake. And cookies.

Usually I'm too lazy to get down to cooking, but once I'm motivated, I love it.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jan 2012, 19:01

What are you making? Roast chicken? I have a great roast chicken recipe if you want. :)

The wife made our lean-beef-and-bacon burgers tonight, and they were great!
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 24 Jan 2012, 19:44

Darkobra wrote:Cannot thank you all enough! I really hope she enjoys it. Maybe this is one of the times where my fast-learning pays off and I get it right first time. Or maybe I'll end up creating some sort of Frankenchicken.

Oh and it won't be any time soon. I'm talking like next year when we both get our lives sorted out and start visiting each other when we can.

Also, REALLY going to buy a recipe book. Might make a few cakes too! I used to be good at that when I was younger but kinda lost all incentive when I can just buy the damn things.

You know you could get some really good practice cooking and eating your food :P
Or get some friends to eat it and see how they like it

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!

Return to “General Discussion”