Fitocracy: LoadingReadyRunners

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Fitocracy: LoadingReadyRunners

Postby aeric90 » 23 Mar 2012, 05:47

Everyone here will be happy to know that I have moved leg press out of my workout so no more ridiculous points (for that at least). The return wasn't worth the effort. Hauling 20 45lbs plates around the gym to set the machine up and then take them off just took too long. I added another set of squats instead.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 23 Mar 2012, 08:06

But don't you feel significantly less badass now? Although, good on you for more squats though.
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 23 Mar 2012, 08:11

Well my e-peen has taken a hit and it'll take me a bit more work to take over top spot on the leaderboard before PAX (which I will do ;) ) but have you seen how you properly do a front squat?

That is badass.
MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 23 Mar 2012, 08:15

That looks like it would destroy my gorram soul. I have a hard enough time doing standard squats, let alone those. Although the fact that I use the 'self-spot' barbells at the gym may make it a bit less intense.

And you may just take it before PAX, but after I'm done exams I'll be takin' 'er back. ;)

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 23 Mar 2012, 08:25

Is there a safer way to do those without a barbell? Like kettlebells or something? I'm leery of using barbells without a spotter (and I don't have a workout partner) ever since I saw someone almost get decapitated by one that was handled unsafely.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 23 Mar 2012, 08:50

Most squat racks have an area to do the squat in that will catch the bar if you happen to lose your balance so it wont crush you. This is similar to the one I use:

A Smith Machine is a barbell apparatus that runs on tracks, letting you lock the bar in place if you need to and prevents you from tipping forward or backwards. The problem is you lose all the stability benefits of using the barbell in the first place.

There are other options like dumbbells and balls but they all have different effects on your stabilizers and you'll never get the same weight benefit as the barbell. You can hold dumbbells or a ball out in front of you and squat, or but them on your shoulders or over your head. I would recommend trying fixed weight barbells though. They're lighter and a bit safer.

MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 23 Mar 2012, 12:06

Ladies and gentlemen, today I have fit into a large t-shirt. Not the most fitting, but I'm still absolutely beaming.

PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 25 Mar 2012, 04:26

Just got 888points for 2 hours of "kayaking". Fitocracy is seriously broken when it comes to paddlesports, not enough options, far too many points and only "river" and "ocean" to pick from.
Also they don't recognise Canoeing as something that exists, which is what I was actually doing yesterday.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Mar 2012, 12:53

Speaking as a Canadian I am outraged that they do not recognise canoeing and kayaking as distinct activities.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 Mar 2012, 02:19

I do not know if you are just not tracking your running Matt but I this rate I thing I might just try and catch up with your distance in the Challenge in the next week and a half.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 26 Mar 2012, 12:59

aeric90 wrote:Well my e-peen has taken a hit and it'll take me a bit more work to take over top spot on the leaderboard before PAX (which I will do ;) ) but have you seen how you properly do a front squat?

That is badass.

Wait, what? Why is that badass? That's how I've always done my front squats.

Though sometimes I'll do them open-armed:

Doesn't make much difference, really.

The key is to keep your elbows up, which supports the weight on your shoulders. Your arms don't do any work.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 26 Mar 2012, 19:52

Ok, so I just hit level 9 and decided to look at the LRR leaderboard for a laugh...

How the hell did I end up in the top 20?! Out of 68 people?! I must be doing something wrong (or right), but either way I has a confused. A pleasantly bemused confused, but a confused nonetheless.

Huh.
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 27 Mar 2012, 02:43

In my case I blame the broken extremely excessive points kayaking and skiing get.
Also that fact that if you go skiing for a day and log the morning and afternoon as separate sessions instead of just subtracting your lunch break from the complete time on the slopes, you get double the points. Which is a big deal when you're talking 600pts per session
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 27 Mar 2012, 12:08

My first time in the city since getting a pedometer, I'm surprised by how fast I get the number up! I think I'll make it a goal of mine, as part of my getting-in-shape-without-too-much-asthma-trouble, to walk a lot every day. Now, what kind of number do you think I should aim for? The recommended average (10k steps)? Double that? More?
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 27 Mar 2012, 14:11

I don't think you need to worry about averages or anything, just make the conscious decision to walk or take the stairs whenever the opportunity arrises.
rustak
First Video: Man Cooking - Swiss Meat Roll

Postby rustak » 28 Mar 2012, 12:53

Good lord, what the hell happened to Fitocracy? It went all... I dunno, groovy or something. I feel like it should have disco music in the background.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Mar 2012, 13:13

AND doesn't fit on one screen. SHAME.
MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 28 Mar 2012, 15:08

Not a fan of the new set up, at all.

PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 28 Mar 2012, 15:34

hmm.. they've gone all twitter-esque and mobile/tablet friendly.
While it does not look good on 27" computer monitor (even with a half-screen browser window), I can understand that the move to a single uniform look makes their workload considerably less for any updates as opposed to having two separate "app" and web appearances.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 28 Mar 2012, 15:35

I walked close to 13k steps yesterday, and since it was raining heavily I definitely walked less than I could have.
However, I did climb a lot of steps and now my calves are killing me. Which is a bit weird because my thighs are completely fine, and even though I was wearing a heavy backpack my shoulders are fine as well.
I guess I neglected to muscle my calves until now and as a result it was harder on them.
rustak
First Video: Man Cooking - Swiss Meat Roll

Postby rustak » 28 Mar 2012, 15:38

PlasmaCow wrote:hmm.. they've gone all twitter-esque and mobile/tablet friendly.
While it does not look good on 27" computer monitor (even with a half-screen browser window), I can understand that the move to a single uniform look makes their workload considerably less for any updates as opposed to having two separate "app" and web appearances.

Yeah, it is *way* too big. They could have styled it differently on mobile/smaller screens.. instead now it just looks like it's set up for blind people on my screen. Bah humbug, change!
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 28 Mar 2012, 16:06

Does anyone know if there is an option to enter walking distances in steps? Since it's over the whole day it's hard to put a timed number on it, and now that I've been tracking my walking it would be practical to just copy the pedometer into fitocracy.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 28 Mar 2012, 19:25

I took a quick look on the Fitocracy forums and it doesn't look like there's a way to enter pedometer steps as such. I would suggest measuring your average stride distance and multiplying by the number of steps to get a rough distance estimate and enter that instead.
MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 29 Mar 2012, 20:27

Aeric, it's close. But I'm not losing just yet, I will later, but not yet. ....emergency judo tomorrow. Wootwoot!

TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 30 Mar 2012, 06:57

Works better on my tablet now! Hooray!

Return to “General Discussion”