Fitocracy: LoadingReadyRunners

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: Fitocracy: LoadingReadyRunners

Postby JustAName » 18 Feb 2012, 22:05

Running at 9:30 at night through Richmond in sneakers that are chafing the back of my ankles because of my stupid low socks: great idea or best idea?

Also, freezing my ears off.

I think my lungs are crumbling into dust.

Edit: Also, even with the sports bra, these chest lumps are suffocating me. I hate these things so much.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 18 Feb 2012, 23:39

I give up. First I've lost 2 pounds, then I've gained one, then I've lost 4, then I've gained 2, then 3. WTF? I am sticking to my caloric diet everyday, cutting down on carbs, eating more veg and whole foods, cutting out sugary, nutritionless crap, biking to and from work every single day and doing some floor exercises in the evenings. I feel better, more energetic, and Jeremy says I feel a bit firmer. The hell is up with the back and forth weight nonsense?

So I give up on the weighing. I'm just going to keep eating well and exercising and maybe I'll weigh myself again in a few weeks, but for now fuck that. I'll hope that it starts showing with a little less flab around my middle and such, b/c the whole using a scale thing is just not working for me. No wonder this stuff makes girls neurotic.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 18 Feb 2012, 23:48

You're probably gaining muscle. Also, day-to-day varies a lot, and isn't really good for anything. If you're feeling better, you're probably doing better. Scales are dumb anyway!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

taza
First Video: Max Effect

Postby taza » 19 Feb 2012, 01:14

A bit of fluctuation is completely normal and it tends to make daily weighing useless for tracking progress. Weight ain't a video game.

You need data for two months to have a reliable trend going.

I've gained ten pounds in the past few weeks - but overall, I'm down nearly sixty. And hopefully that progress continues. I'm aiming for 150 pounds lost.

EDIT: And how did I accomplish losing sixty pounds? Stopping sugary drinks AND artificially sweetened ones and getting my diabetes under control. Also no candy. And a lot of darker, higher-fiber breads.
Last edited by taza on 19 Feb 2012, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Feb 2012, 01:15

The best advice I have heard for scales and weight loss is, once a week, at the same time. Like when you wake up on monday morning, or before my shower on Saturdays.

Meals and water weight can make those 1-3 pounds you are fluctuating.

I "gained" 4 pounds one day from morning to night I weighed myself right when I woke up, then right after dinner I took a shower then weighed myself.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 19 Feb 2012, 02:08

Don't worry about the weight, Tally. Could be muscle gain, could be water retention, could be your body needing to plateau... I agree with your solution, weigh yourself less often.
You can also take some measurements (I'm sure as a crafter you've got what we need for that) and take new ones in a bit (obviously don't expect that to change right away).
This way if your weight seems to be the same but you feel better, you can check your measurements and see if you have lost in fatty part or gained in muscular parts.

All in all, if you're feeling healthier that's really the main thing.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 19 Feb 2012, 09:09

So here's the deal. I haven't done anything beyond walking that could really be classed as exercise in the last few years, and I currently feel quite ineffectual. So I joined this thing, in the hopes that it will encourage (read: pressure) me to push onwards and become a little better at taking care of my physical vessel.

Let's see if it pans out.
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 19 Feb 2012, 09:27

So I was looking up how to stop bruising online (as I'm covered in them from judo/rolling) and the first thing was "channel healing energy through your hands".

MFW : http://i.imgur.com/i9ycw.gif

EDIT: Also, just wanted to save everyone's doing a great job at the competition this time around. As a side note to those who are interested, I've finally broken my plateau!
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 19 Feb 2012, 14:07

If it helps, I'm always absolutely covered in bruises. The only reliable advice I've ever gotten for how to deal with them is, well, "they'll heal". And the next week? There they all are again.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 19 Feb 2012, 19:05

I bruise super easily (as in, someone will grab my arm gently for whatever reason and I'll have a bruise there) so I'm just used to being bruised.
When I first got together with Sean, he would keep asking "what happened?" and I was all "what do you mean? Oh, hey, I have a bruise. No clue, maybe I bumped into something"
Now he's just used to it.
So I guess I have no real advice. They go away. Are they painful, or are you concerned because of how they look?
MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 19 Feb 2012, 19:19

I'm annoyed by how they look as I have one on my jaw at the moment. But it could be worse.

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 19 Feb 2012, 19:25

INJURY. D:

I hurt my foot. staying off it for a couple days, best I can. hope I can run again by tuesday. :(

-m

I am not angry at you.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 19 Feb 2012, 23:39

I'm lucky not to get bruises on my face because I tend to bump other things first. If I did, I would freak out that people would assume I'm being hit or something.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 20 Feb 2012, 09:31

Matt wrote:INJURY. D:

I hurt my foot. staying off it for a couple days, best I can. hope I can run again by tuesday. :(

-m

Geez. That sucks. What'd you do to it?

I'm really sorry to all the people who are doing this to lose weight because I'm going to bitch about that I'm down 5 lbs this week to 226.5 lbs which is not the direction I want to go. I can only hope that this was water weight lost due to being sick last week and not a drop in muscle mass which would suck big time.

I realize too that I should have been taking pictures of myself week after week to see my progress a bit more clearly since my weight is almost flat. I wonder if it's too late to start...
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 20 Feb 2012, 17:00

aeric90 wrote:I'm really sorry to all the people who are doing this to lose weight because I'm going to bitch about that I'm down 5 lbs this week to 226.5 lbs which is not the direction I want to go. I can only hope that this was water weight lost due to being sick last week and not a drop in muscle mass which would suck big time.

I realize too that I should have been taking pictures of myself week after week to see my progress a bit more clearly since my weight is almost flat. I wonder if it's too late to start...

It's not like we can all expect each other to have the exact same goals, given that we're not the exact same people with the exact same bodies. You want to gain weight, others of us want to lose it. It's clearly a struggle on both sides, and frustrating when it doesn't seem to be happening. Keep at it!

Now, of course, in my imagination of a perfect world, we could do this like some sort of weight exchange. You want weight? Well I'm looking to get rid of some. Here, tradesies!

If only. :D
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 20 Feb 2012, 17:14

How tall are you Aeric, if you don't mind my asing? You're at just about where I want my weight to be (I'm hovering around 250).

Coming over to Victoria and eating at all of my favorite restaurants today doesn't help either... *shakes fist at Floyd's*
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 20 Feb 2012, 17:32

In related news, I was really excited to master a couple of new moves at pole class this week.

I finally really noticed that fear has been holding me back. I'm perfectly capable of doing them and probably have been for a while, but I'm just too nervous about falling to trust in that. If I just go in and do it, I manage it just fine.

Damn my fear of falling on my head.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 20 Feb 2012, 17:41

metcarfre wrote:How tall are you Aeric, if you don't mind my asing? You're at just about where I want my weight to be (I'm hovering around 250).

I am around 6'3". I was 250lbs when I started playing rugby.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 20 Feb 2012, 17:46

Mmm, I'm 6'3" too. Makes sense.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 20 Feb 2012, 17:48

Tally wrote:Now, of course, in my imagination of a perfect world, we could do this like some sort of weight exchange. You want weight? Well I'm looking to get rid of some. Here, tradesies!

If only. :D

I think we'd need a way to change that mass isn't something else before trading it... otherwise the world would just be full of love-handles no one wants :)
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 21 Feb 2012, 01:50

I am 1.84 m tall and last time weighted my self I had a mass of 100 kg which was admittedly before Christmas. That is a bit over 6 foot and 220 pounds for those who still think in antiquated measurement systems.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 21 Feb 2012, 11:03

I'm 5"11' and recently dropped to 249! Breaking that plateau!

aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 21 Feb 2012, 11:15

Ding! Level 16... but I still can't log my plyometrics :(

I could tell everyone I'm 16 st 6 lbs and really mess with people's heads.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 21 Feb 2012, 17:36

I skimmed an article this morning written by Dr Michael Mosley, a former medical man turned TV producer and presenter of many of the BBCs medical science shows and documentaries in recent years (so he's not just some "nutritionist" trying to flog a new diet plan book). Anyhow, the point of his article was two-fold:
1 - that you can eat anything you want (he's a big fan of having a full english at weekends), try to make it as balanced as you can, but don't get hung up on it too much, just be sensible.
2 - recent research has shown the simplest and most effective exercise to help keep the heart healthy is a 5 minute spin session (30 seconds power, 30 seconds pace) on a cycling machine, 3 times a week.

Obviously it's common sense stuff really, the spin sessions are I guess no different to the UK government recommendation of 15mins gentle exercise a day.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 21 Feb 2012, 18:32

I still like the thesis from Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food; "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

That advice seems... minimal. Almost foolhardy. As a species, we are adapted to perform physical labour of some sort most of the day and eat what we can. Our lifestyles, however, mean we are primarily sedentary by nature. So to say 5 minutes 3 times a day of exercise is sufficient is... laughable.

Return to “General Discussion”