Craaaaazy Desert bus idea.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Highlander
First Video: Mecha Jackson

Craaaaazy Desert bus idea.

Postby Highlander » 23 Jan 2012, 13:22

So I was struck by a crazy idea, as I am. Then I thought how feasible is this, so.

Buy a bus in Tucson, AZ this bus to be exact.

http://www.arizonabussales.com/1998-Sup ... 2/Used-Bus

Then drive through Vegas NV

and then it's VICTORIAAA OOOOR BUUUUUST! which should take about 3 days. This would a require several people and the challenge is to get to Victoria before DB for hope is over.

It would be filmed, with some challenges, I don't think streaming is possible, possibly video phone calls to DB central.

This is mad but in the next couple of years I intend to try it, considering that I live in the UK it will add a little extra challenge. Any advice/ suggestions.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: Craaaaazy Desert bus idea.

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 Jan 2012, 20:17

its an interesting idea, now that DB is getting big it might get its own feeder charities.

a slight variation might be Victoria to Port Hardy, drive ALMOST the full length of Vancouver island. That way maybe one or two people from the marathon could go with. Drive there and back there and back. Although then you run into fuel costs, maybe just one trip there and back as a challange.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 23 Jan 2012, 20:31

Highlander wrote:and then it's VICTORIAAA OOOOR BUUUUUST! which should take about 3 days. This would a require several people and the challenge is to get to Victoria before DB for hope is over.

How much would it be to ferry a BUS across though?
Highlander wrote:It would be filmed, with some challenges, I don't think streaming is possible, possibly video phone calls to DB central.

Qik video is a great streaming app for the mobile.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Highlander

Postby Highlander » 24 Jan 2012, 03:05

Thanks for the app ninja

It would take about 50 dollars to get across on the ferry from vancouver.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 24 Jan 2012, 05:21

I think the cost of buying the bus, and then fuel (Lots and lots and lots of fuel) is going to be prohibitively expensive. Better to just spend all that on the children directly.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Jan 2012, 06:40

Dutch guy wrote:I think the cost of buying the bus, and then fuel (Lots and lots and lots of fuel) is going to be prohibitively expensive. Better to just spend all that on buying club sodas for the children directly.

8)
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
KyrieEleison
First Video: Desert Bus 5

Postby KyrieEleison » 24 Jan 2012, 19:56

Maybe instead of a bus you just get a van (it could be a VW bus). You wouldn't be able to get as many participants, but you could probably save a ton in fuel. (Of course, sponsors could be found/finagled to help defray costs like that...)

Regardless of what vehicle you use, the other thing to do is like what Fangamer did last year: challenge the DB crew to a race to see who could make it to Vegas first... and from there, go on to Victoria.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to get involved if it ever gets off the ground.
It's not epic unless it's dactylic hexameter.

landofanalie.wordpress.com
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jan 2012, 20:14

Highlander wrote:Thanks for the app ninja

It would take about 50 dollars to get across on the ferry from vancouver.

Uh, no.

An average 37-foot bus would cost $142.45 plus $14.25 per passenger on BC Ferries.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 24 Jan 2012, 21:42

I will echo the sentiment of several other people in this thread and remind you that at its heart, Desert Bus is about raising money for Child's Play.

I hate to sound harsh, but I don't understand why you'd do something like this. Any money you're willing to spend on something frivolous, like buying a bus, fueling it, and driving it around the country, is better donated directly to the children.

The point of Desert Bus isn't to drive from Tucson to Las Vegas. The point is to raise money for charity. Everything else, everything surrounding it, has grown up to further that goal. What you're planning doesn't further it at all. It detracts from it.
Highlander

Postby Highlander » 25 Jan 2012, 00:43

The plan would be to use it as a fundraiser. Stopping off frequently to do tasks or doing some on the road.

The reason that I'm thinking about doing this is because, in the next few years I, going to move from the UK to the west coast, probably Seattle/Vancover area and I'mma want to go driving across the countries, so I'll need a bus/camper thing anyway.

I understand that it seems frivoulous but it's a mixture of practicle stuff and raising some money for the kiddies
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Jan 2012, 02:29

Plus the crew have already driven from Vegas to Victoria in a bus.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Highlander

Postby Highlander » 25 Jan 2012, 10:01

So the overwhelming response is no then.
DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 25 Jan 2012, 10:31

Highlander wrote:So the overwhelming response is no then.

Less 'no', more 'impractical'. For example, I'd be down for participation in doing stupid things on a road trip to earn DB money. I don't earn enough to donate much as it is, so it'd be a good way to do more. There's the rub though- I also don't earn enough to take the time off of work to go to Arizona, go on a week-long road trip, and head home. Basically, the people you find to participate are going to need some serious stratch to afford the trip... in all likelyhood, more than what you'd make in donations. After all, why give people we don't know money for DB stunts when we can give LRR money for DB stunts?

If you're buying a bus and road-tripping either way, it's a great idea to do some good at the same time... just know that most of us are not in a position to join, fun as it may be.

Also, semi-related warning: make sure you know what you're doing before buying a mini-bus. My fiance's dad bought a 'bargain' bus to save money on work trips. The damn thing is now a large part of the family's debt due to constant repairs and insane gas costs. Do your research!
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Jan 2012, 16:56

As I said before the crew back in season three bought a short bus and drove down to the San Diego Comic Con and returned through Las Vegas doing stupid things along the way. After the road trip due its high running costs the bus sat uninsured in Bill's and Morgan's driveway for several years.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 25 Jan 2012, 17:08

If we were going to do anything like that I think this would be the best option for the bus itself, but it's several times more expensive.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Jan 2012, 17:10

A challenge for that size of bus that you need a proper bus driving licence to drive it unlike a short bus.
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 26 Jan 2012, 15:41

The only way the finances could theoretically work out here would be if this were repeated as an annual thing (which would minimize the cost of the bus over time), but it seems like the sort of thing that people wouldn't necessarily want to see over and over.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 27 Jan 2012, 05:59

it's the type of thing that would be more worthwhile if the bus cost wasn't an issue - such as someone coming forwards and saying, "hey, my dad runs the local bus company and will give us a bus to use for free". Sure it's an unlikely situation, but it's one of the ways that this would become a practical idea.

Return to “General Discussion”