Stupid movie mistakes?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Re: Stupid movie mistakes?

Postby sdhonda » 07 Feb 2012, 12:44

plummeting_sloth wrote:Yeah... there must have been a galaxy wide depression between III and IV, cause everything seems cheaper, shiter and less elegant.

Yeah, it's kind of like how most of Northern Europe ended up after the Romans left.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Feb 2012, 12:58

sdhonda wrote:
plummeting_sloth wrote:Yeah... there must have been a galaxy wide depression between III and IV, cause everything seems cheaper, shiter and less elegant.

Yeah, it's kind of like how most of Northern Europe ended up after the Romans left.

Or like most of Europe Circa 1945-1970, It takes a minute to recover from utter destruction.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 08 Feb 2012, 05:10

And on the subject of Star Wars it seems that the Republic was able to build ships with multi-function buttons, for example a button that can open communications with the Jedi and also display a map of the current planet.

So can anyone who's seen The World Is Not Enough explain to me how Q's fishing boat is able to fire the top missile from it's dual-missile launcher, then an instant later fire the top missile AGAIN with the bottom launcher empty?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 08 Feb 2012, 05:36

Well, in reality it's a crap editing sequence, but I guess it could be a 'revolving magazine' in that the top launcher has to be the one to fire? (for purposes of recoil stabilization, design too cheap to have two separate ignition circuits, etc.)

William of Occam is glaring at me, though... :)
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 08 Feb 2012, 05:38

Mmmm except there was no room for the launcher to turn over and the missiles were already visibly loaded into the tubes. I blame John Cleese.

empath

Postby empath » 08 Feb 2012, 05:40

Safe bet. :)
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 08 Feb 2012, 06:38

empath wrote:* if the villain has been on a murderous rampage and 'ten little indian'ing your circle of friends off, when you get said villain down and on the ropes; finish him/her/it off conclusively - DECAPITATE. Killer move for humans and most mythological creatures (hydra excepted), and even the ones it doesn't destroy, it still slows 'em down a lot. Plus it gives you concrete reinforcement of the kill.

If I ever write a horror movie, I am totally using the line "Decapitation works well on most things. Except Hydra. And I'm pretty sure they don't exist."
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 08 Feb 2012, 07:37

theDreamer wrote:Especially when you know the pain, I get that with night calf cramps.

I wake up, and just know. Then the most pain I ever have felt

I get that too. It freaks me out, because I'm suddenly wide-awake, and I'm not sure why, and then the pain hits me, and it hurts. so. much.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Feb 2012, 07:52

JayBlanc wrote:
empath wrote:* if the villain has been on a murderous rampage and 'ten little indian'ing your circle of friends off, when you get said villain down and on the ropes; finish him/her/it off conclusively - DECAPITATE. Killer move for humans and most mythological creatures (hydra excepted), and even the ones it doesn't destroy, it still slows 'em down a lot. Plus it gives you concrete reinforcement of the kill.

If I ever write a horror movie, I am totally using the line "Decapitation works well on most things. Except Hydra. And I'm pretty sure they don't exist."

Yes, but then you have to make your main villain a Hydra.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 12 Feb 2012, 16:43

If the monster appears unkillable, yet your bullets seem to do something other than deflect off them, use heavier weapons (hopefully explosives) and aim for the joints. It might not be dead, but if you can put it in separate boxes, then submerge those boxes in acid, then dump those acid barrels into a volcano, I would love to see the wizened old crone try to tell you it actually wasn't dead because you didn't follow the ritual.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Feb 2012, 17:07

Just make sure to put the boxes is separate barrels of acid, and drop the barrels in separate volcanoes. Reduces the chance of it reassembling itself for a terrible sequel.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 12 Feb 2012, 17:08

Obviously... this isn't my first dismemberment, dissolving, volcano sacrificing rodeo.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 12 Feb 2012, 17:35

Oh yes, and make sure you don't let the military "handle" the dumping of those boxes into different volcanoes.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 12 Feb 2012, 17:49

Also, military people. If you had the ability to capture it to work on it, then you probably have more efficient, safer and directed means of blowing up the world without weaponized monsters. Yes, we all love the appeal of an unstoppable one creature army, but you already have a half-million man one and enough weaponry to destroy the world a few dozen times over. At best... the monster would cost you and all your friends jobs. At best.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 13 Feb 2012, 03:15

plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 13 Feb 2012, 05:59

I'd love to see a Mieville style fantasy deconstruction where that list falls through a wormhole and right into a typical fantasy villains lair.
empath

Postby empath » 13 Feb 2012, 07:51

*starts writing screenplay*
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 13 Feb 2012, 08:19

Crap... I forgot to put a copyright on that post!

DAMN YOU INTERNET!

/goes off to secretly fund SOPA
empath

Postby empath » 13 Feb 2012, 08:43

Nah, dude; I ever get this finished I'm totally getting in touch with you for attribution.

And in the staggeringly-unlikely event that I ever SELL said screenplay, you're getting a co-writer credit and a share of the royalties. I'm guessing Hollywood would never take it up, since it'll break all the tropes that formulaic stories they pimp out subsist on...
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 13 Feb 2012, 08:46

Yeah! I'm theoretically rich with potento-dollars! Imma go buy a probable car!
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 13 Feb 2012, 21:29

...and use it to go buy possible beers?
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Feb 2012, 23:49

So my wife and I rented a couple of movies for our "date night" We dont watch a lot of movies so these are old, So spoilers too bad.

Benjamin button: mistakes: you forgot a plot. It started with a character concept and then just tossed in some supporting characters and dialog. In addition, he was born with old man ailments, why did he ALSO get old man ailments as a baby? he should have had little kid problems like being clumsy and too small and weak to do things. Also who are these characters, "here is a man hes a acquaintance of an acquaintance." "come on benjamin lets go into town, im short and that makes me different just like you are different." Wait he is short? he is always sitting down I didnt know that guy was short!

and Terrible bosses, ok, the things those bosses are doing, are illegal. Not bad, not cruel to their employees, ILLEGAL. And the people weren't really that conflicted about these things they were just like "oh man I hate my job these things suck" no these things are EXACTLY what workplace laws are about. Its like one of the early "tales from the trenches" No no, as a boss its your job to PREVENT just this type of thing, thats the law.

These two movies were just flawed before they ever got on set which ruined them for me.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 14 Feb 2012, 01:06

plummeting_sloth wrote:If the monster appears unkillable, yet your bullets seem to do something other than deflect off them, use heavier weapons (hopefully explosives) and aim for the joints. It might not be dead, but if you can put it in separate boxes, then submerge those boxes in acid, then dump those acid barrels into a volcano, I would love to see the wizened old crone try to tell you it actually wasn't dead because you didn't follow the ritual.

The words are "Klaatu Barada Nicto." Remember them. It's not necktie, dammit!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 14 Feb 2012, 03:46

Phailhammer wrote:...and use it to go buy possible beers?

Someone mentioned possible beers?

The GIF that goes along with this post has been lost to the depths of the internets.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
empath

Postby empath » 14 Feb 2012, 04:01

Actually, I think if we ask Master Gunner...

Return to “General Discussion”