Stupid movie mistakes?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Shinneh
First Video: field?

Stupid movie mistakes?

Postby Shinneh » 30 Jan 2012, 11:16

Stupid movie mistakes!

I just watched "Day of the dead" on iplayer.

Not only were they keeping zombies in their base in an attempt to cure and or domesticate them, but some brightspark was like "this zombie used to be in the military, give me an empty gun"

Needless to say, they taught the undead how to shoot and it did not end well. Of all the mistakes you could make after a zombie apocalypse, teaching them to shoot is one of the stupidest, though not one I'd expect people to make. But they did.

So generally speaking what other mistakes stand out to you?
"Don't run upstairs in horror movies" then you can't run AWAY
"Don't move TOWARDS the creepy sound" they're always waiting
"Don't make a Graham looks cuddleh topic" so much fire

That sort of stuff, only actual examples and such.
Kajamakuji
First Video: Deeply Religious

Re: Stupid movie mistakes?

Postby Kajamakuji » 30 Jan 2012, 13:34

So this is kind of like plotholes, the thread. How about dont give the hero a last anything
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 30 Jan 2012, 13:51

If you've done anything, and I mean anything, even just stolen $20 off someone, don't ever speak of it, ever. You will be caught within seconds!

Don't proclaim your badassness, or you will get beat to hell and back.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 30 Jan 2012, 14:56

Why does nobody ever go to the police?
General Michi
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby General Michi » 30 Jan 2012, 15:10

Why does everyone have a predictable password? It's always their favourite band or a fond memory. There'd be a lot more free serial killers and crime lords if their password was something like ?i#bv6nh0o.

Not that that's my password
>.>
<.<

Also, Twilight became a franchise. The only good thing to come from that is a yearly Desert Bus challenge
Last edited by General Michi on 30 Jan 2012, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
We put the brick on the accelerator.

Image Image

Twitter Steam Tumblblar
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Jan 2012, 15:12

I have three major ones:

Star Wars Prequel Series
Star Wars Special Edition
Most American Comedy films.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 30 Jan 2012, 15:37

You can run on a sprained ankle. It'll hurt for a bit, and probably do some damage, but you'll be surprised how well endorphins and adrenaline will kick in to block out the worst of it. If a twisted ankle stops you from running away from death, then something is clearly wrong with your bodies adrenal system and it's fight or flight complex.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 30 Jan 2012, 17:01

This is a TV show thing as much as a film thing; DO. NOT. DIG. THAT. BULLET. OUT. WITH. A. SWITCHBLADE! It will kill the patient! Just leave it in!

There are others, but that one always stands out to me. :?
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 30 Jan 2012, 20:16

HEh jester. Did you ever watch LOST?

I swear, Jack Shepard is by far the worst doctor I've ever seen. I only have a cert 2 in first aid and can tell that he's probably killed half the people on that island already.

Oh right, also, every doctor does not instinctively know every illness on the planet, nor do they just go rummaging through places and find dozens of bottles of medicine and instantly know "Oh hey, this heart medication can be used to treat his ear infection!"

plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 30 Jan 2012, 20:29

Also, Mr. Bay. Atropen is not adrenaline, you don't need to stab it into your heart and it's not the actual antidote to VX exposure. Nick Cage would have died well before he got to that church because of this. Also, that shit doesn't boil your skin... and it's not stored in literally the most fragile means imaginable.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
General Meh
First Video: Something on the Escapist.

Postby General Meh » 30 Jan 2012, 21:31

If you catch your enemy, be it the hero or villian, kill them immediately and figure their plan out later.
Magic Decks -
Standard Deck: just some random fail cards.
Modern Deck: 5 colors, because less than 5 is for wimps.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 30 Jan 2012, 21:49

General Meh wrote:If you catch your enemy, be it the hero or villian, kill them immediately and figure their plan out later.

Unless, of course, the crime the villain has committed is...you know...kidnapping. Might wanna keep 'em alive and question them for the victim's location...

But yeah.

Here's a few more:

* wait. Don't check it out alone. Let your back-up units show up to support you. Don't go on ahead while your friends are busy getting something, etc.

* look up/behind the door/etc.

* if the villain has been on a murderous rampage and 'ten little indian'ing your circle of friends off, when you get said villain down and on the ropes; finish him/her/it off conclusively - DECAPITATE. Killer move for humans and most mythological creatures (hydra excepted), and even the ones it doesn't destroy, it still slows 'em down a lot. Plus it gives you concrete reinforcement of the kill.

* request ID from any 'authority figures' that show up to rescue you from the baddie(s), so you can detect the infiltrator at the outset instead of trusting them to watch your back...as they stick a knife in it.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 30 Jan 2012, 23:09

These are really more general fiction tropes than anything else, so...

One thing comes to mind. In Eagle Eye, - spoiler alert (not that you should ever watch this terrible, terrible movie) - the entire plot is set up because the omniscient Skynet-like computer program requires the protagonist's (Shia LeBouef's character's) fingerprints, since his twin brother programmed the machine and locked it out such that the only way to 'unlock' certain actions for the computer was by his fingerprint ID.*

Twins do not have the same fingerprints.

You based the very premise of that movie on a mistake, guys. Good Wikiing.

* The plot's complicated and stupid and not really worth your time anyways.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 31 Jan 2012, 00:38

The Jester wrote:This is a TV show thing as much as a film thing; DO. NOT. DIG. THAT. BULLET. OUT. WITH. A. SWITCHBLADE! It will kill the patient! Just leave it in!

the_lone_bard wrote:HEh jester. Did you ever watch LOST?

Can we forget the epic moment where Sawyer digs a bullet out of his shoulder WITH HIS BARE HANDS?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 31 Jan 2012, 01:01

Geoff_B wrote:
The Jester wrote:This is a TV show thing as much as a film thing; DO. NOT. DIG. THAT. BULLET. OUT. WITH. A. SWITCHBLADE! It will kill the patient! Just leave it in!

the_lone_bard wrote:HEh jester. Did you ever watch LOST?

Can we forget the epic moment where Sawyer digs a bullet out of his shoulder WITH HIS BARE HANDS?

I never watched LOST, and you know... I think I'm okay with that. Especially now.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 31 Jan 2012, 02:59

Yeah there were quite a few places where they got up close and personal when extracting bullets and sewing up wounds.

WBAGNR
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby WBAGNR » 31 Jan 2012, 03:13

Event X happens to Person A, whilst simultaneously Event Y is happening to Person B.

Storylines of Persons A & B cross over, because Events X & Y are tangentially linked, producing drama/romance/action/horror/comedy (delete as appropriate)
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 31 Jan 2012, 03:19

plummeting_sloth wrote:You can run on a sprained ankle. It'll hurt for a bit, and probably do some damage, but you'll be surprised how well endorphins and adrenaline will kick in to block out the worst of it. If a twisted ankle stops you from running away from death, then something is clearly wrong with your bodies adrenal system and it's fight or flight complex.

I have sprained my ankle while running (it was at midnight). I knew that I had hurt myself but I kept going. I was able to run about four kilometres further and finish my run. When I stopped moving my ankle really started to hurt and I realised how badly I had hurt my self.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 31 Jan 2012, 03:27

That.

That is how running works, unless you fall over you will just keep going.

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 31 Jan 2012, 05:23

metcarfre wrote:These are really more general fiction tropes than anything else, so...

One thing comes to mind. In Eagle Eye, - spoiler alert (not that you should ever watch this terrible, terrible movie) - the entire plot is set up because the omniscient Skynet-like computer program requires the protagonist's (Shia LeBouef's character's) fingerprints, since his twin brother programmed the machine and locked it out such that the only way to 'unlock' certain actions for the computer was by his fingerprint ID.*

Twins do not have the same fingerprints.

You based the very premise of that movie on a mistake, guys. Good Wikiing.

* The plot's complicated and stupid and not really worth your time anyways.

if I remember correctly Eagle-eye required a VOICEprint ID.

Overall I thought that movie wasn't so bad, except the finish. FINALLY a protagonist IS KILLED. He knows he's going to die, runs in, saves the day, and gets shot in the back. As it should be.
And it should have stayed like that. just fade to black, roll credits. Instead we get a tacky little end-scene where his arm is in a sling??? seriously, get shot in the back, put arm in sling, everything is fine. That whole last scene seems so tacked on as an afterthought. Like the writers and the director didn't plan on having it and some studio exec demanded a happy ending to keep the possibility of a sequel alive.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 31 Jan 2012, 05:44

SilPho wrote:Why does nobody ever go to the police?

In Attack the Block they couldn't because The kids had mugged the lady and they were in possession of drugs =) It also looked like a mass-murder sight.

In the end someone did however. And the main character got arrested.

"Average" characters being played by beautiful/hansom people or very famous people. For a start 'normal' people don't get facial prophetic surgery done and it's hard to believe an average person is an average person when they're played by Tom Cruise. In my opinion for roles in films/tv where it's a 'normal person' role, they should audition with paper bags on their heads. For a start less biasedness towards actors who you'd want to bed.
Last edited by Merrymaker_Mortalis on 31 Jan 2012, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 31 Jan 2012, 05:46

SilPho wrote:Why does nobody ever go to the police?

Because the police are either incompetent, corrupt, or in on it. Sometimes all three. No exceptions.

Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 31 Jan 2012, 06:10

(Parts spoilered just in case)

Towards the end of Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni's second arc, Watanagashi-hen, when Keiichi goes outside to talk to Shion. For fuck's sake, she even told him not to come near her if he saw here again. It's almost like he was asking to get stabbed in the gut.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 31 Jan 2012, 07:06

Speaking of the police are in on it...

The CIA has no operational authority inside the United States. It cannot arrest arrest you here... it's members aren't even allowed to carry weapons inside the borders. And in regard to their ruthless death squads, until very, VERY recently, the CIA's record in such regards is laughable. It earned it's reputation as this silent, government toppling killer basically by accident and good marketing. It's best "successes" (Iran and Guatemala) were leaching off of other peoples good work (Dole/American Fruit and MI6) and pretty involved throwing lots and lots of money at people and hoping for the best.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 31 Jan 2012, 07:45

I don't normally do this, but:

Psyclone wrote:I never watched LOST, and you know... I think I'm okay with that. Especially now.

+1

Return to “General Discussion”