Womenswear

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Womenswear

Postby Duckay » 31 Jan 2012, 17:55

The menswear thread has gotten pretty huge and there's been a few questions about getting some womenswear discussion, too. So here's a new thread for that!

My question actually specifically comes because of a small wedding dilemma. My bridesmaids dresses will probably need to be tailored slightly to fit the girls, but two of my bridesmaids live a considerable distance away. Would I be better off sending their dresses to them to arrange the tailoring themselves, or trying to get everyone together to get it all done by the same person? Does it matter?

Also, here is a picture for people who just want some pictures of pretty things.

theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: Womenswear

Postby theDreamer » 31 Jan 2012, 17:59

Final-fucking-ly.

I have no valid suggestions for your dilemma, beyond this pointed question:
Do you trust the mail service with your dress?
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 31 Jan 2012, 18:04

Yay! I kept wanting for one but being too lazy to start it. I'll start taking pictures of all my clothes and posting them up :P

EDIT: I'll start with some pictures I do have of my more formal clothes.

Here is the outfit I wore to Sean's Company Christmas Party. Black pants, white shirt, pinstripe corset and jacket. I had the jacket off for most of the event.

This is an outfit I tried on but didn't buy, I was wondering if that business look would work for me. Also experimented buttoning more buttons than is recommended for men to see if that worked better with female shapes, since they are different:

I'll make a different post for the clothes I own. I plan to take one pic with pants, one with shirts, etc. I'll see how that works.
Last edited by Avistew on 31 Jan 2012, 19:36, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 31 Jan 2012, 18:07

theDreamer wrote:Final-fucking-ly.

I have no valid suggestions for your dilemma, beyond this pointed question:
Do you trust the mail service with your dress?

Firstly: thank you.

Secondly: tentatively. I guess it's no different than being shipped from designer to storefront, which already happened once, but then, if something went wrong there, there's people who I can talk to about it who can help. And sending it out in the mail a second time is just doubling the chances something can go wrong.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 31 Jan 2012, 18:25

I was wondering when one of these would appear :)

Duckay, those dresses are GORGEOUS!!!

Your bridesmaids are very lucky. When I was a bridesmaid I had to wear a turtleneck, a sweater and a super super thick coat. Oh, and a skirt over my snowpants.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 31 Jan 2012, 18:25

I have no actual personal wedding-related experience to back this up, but I do think it makes more sense to have the dresses tailored to the girls wherever they are. If they're tailored to fit each different girl properly (which of course they should be), they're not going to look exactly the same on all the girls regardless of whether or not the same person tailors them all. If two of the girls live far away, then I'm guessing that getting them together in the same place would be feasible only quite close to the wedding, and you don't really want to leave this sort of thing till the last minute, because then if (heaven forbid) something goes wrong, there's no time to fix it. And when there's no time to fix it is always when something decides to go wrong. And even if it's possible to get everyone together sooner, it's probably more hassle than just sending the dresses to each girl for individual tailoring.

Also, yay for this thread!
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 31 Jan 2012, 18:30

Tally wrote:If two of the girls live far away, then I'm guessing that getting them together in the same place would be feasible only quite close to the wedding, and you don't really want to leave this sort of thing till the last minute, because then if (heaven forbid) something goes wrong, there's no time to fix it. And when there's no time to fix it is always when something decides to go wrong. And even if it's possible to get everyone together sooner, it's probably more hassle than just sending the dresses to each girl for individual tailoring.

This was pretty much exactly my concern. I basically just wanted reassurance on that point just in case someone was going to say, "No, no, different tailors will ruin it!" or something.

I like to overthink things.

Tapir12 wrote:Duckay, those dresses are GORGEOUS!!!

Your bridesmaids are very lucky. When I was a bridesmaid I had to wear a turtleneck, a sweater and a super super thick coat. Oh, and a skirt over my snowpants.

Thank you! I chose them by bringing everyone shopping with me until everyone was bored of dresses, so I'm glad they're well-liked!
Tally

Postby Tally » 31 Jan 2012, 18:36

Duckay wrote:This was pretty much exactly my concern. I basically just wanted reassurance on that point just in case someone was going to say, "No, no, different tailors will ruin it!" or something.

I like to overthink things.

As I say, I have no personal experience with this, so perhaps someone who does can chime in, but I seriously doubt that it could possibly ruin things. Unless one of the tailors happens to be crap, which could happen anywhere anyway, so just tell the girls to do a little research first.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 31 Jan 2012, 18:44

I realised most of my clothes are dirty, and I don't really want to take pictures of dirty clothes. So I'll wash them and in the meantime here is a pic of the footwear I own:

Form top left to bottom right, my slippers, other slippers my mother in law gave me for Christmas (I find them super ugly, but man they're comfy and warm. I pretty much only wear these now), my dress shoes and my regular shoes.

I used to have a pair of sandals for summer but it wore off at some point. I also had a pair of boots for snowy winter, but I left them in Canada. This being said I "replaced" them with dress shoes that I bought here in California, so my show supply was never too depleted :P
Both pairs (the sandals and the boots) were white though. So no, I don't only buy black footwear for myself. I do really like black shoes though.

About weddings, I have no advice. I never went to a wedding except my own, and I didn't have bridesmaid and even I didn't wear a dress anyways. So I'm no help at all on that.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 31 Jan 2012, 18:59

Duckay, it might be best to just ask your bridesmaids opinion. They may want to have it done by their own alterationist, or by themselves, or just wait until closer to the date.

A nice way to make them think they have input. :wink:

Also, yay Womynswear thread (amidoinitrite?)
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 31 Jan 2012, 19:01

On the subject of shoes, I used to have a pair like these but they broke. I miss them.

I've been wearing a lot of knock-off Converse since getting my job, since they're comfortable, cheap and look cute. I'm really gutted, though, because I had to throw out a really cute green pair with skulls on them because I wore them to death and there was a big hole in the side.

For shoes I do own, they are as follows. (Sorry for the pic spam.)

I also have a pair of brown low-heeled shoes somewhere (possibly in my car). I actually have no business/formal flats at the moment. Hmm.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 31 Jan 2012, 19:05

metcarfre wrote:A nice way to make them think they have input. :wink:

I know you're just joking, but it's a minor sticking point for me... they've had input! I'm not just telling them what to wear and whipping them until they like it.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 31 Jan 2012, 19:06

I really like the red ones, Duckay. I've never actually owned converse shoes but I like the look of them. Maybe I'll get a pair when I need to replace my sneakers.

I've actually been thinking of getting boots, but I'm having a super hard time finding flat ones. Any suggestions where to look?

Also, does anyone know why US sizes are different for men and women? I miss just having a "shoe" section with shoes for everyone, now I have to look in two different sections and remember two different sizes.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 31 Jan 2012, 19:09

Avistew wrote:I really like the red ones, Duckay. I've never actually owned converse shoes but I like the look of them. Maybe I'll get a pair when I need to replace my sneakers.

I want to say again, just to make it clear - these aren't real Converse, these are cheap knock-offs. But yeah, I really like the look of them, and they're pretty comfy. They're not designed for serious working out in or anything, but they are pretty good for just day-to-day wandering about.

Avistew wrote:I've actually been thinking of getting boots, but I'm having a super hard time finding flat ones. Any suggestions where to look?

Do you mean fashion boots or work boots? Either way I'm not sure I can help since I'm Australian, but that's the first question.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 31 Jan 2012, 19:10

Because women are different.

Duh.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 31 Jan 2012, 19:15

I meant boots to wear on normal days. Not sure which that would be out of the two, really. I just want them to be comfy and mid-calf, for when I want something that keeps me a bit warmer.

I get that clothes tend to be in different sections because the average man and the average woman have different shapes. But feet are pretty similar. In France there was just one sizing, from babies to adults, everyone was sized on the same chart. Even if you're going to sell them separately because you want the pink ones in the woman's section and the Doc Martens in the man's section, I'm not sure why you'd need different sizing. A certain length and width are still a certain length and width no matter whose feet they are.
Tally

Postby Tally » 31 Jan 2012, 19:23

Shoes!

I. LOVE. These. Shoes.

http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w%5B0%5D=gender%3Awomen&p=94&pp=7&view=detail&colourID=2166

However, I have never spent that kind of money on shoes in my life (or much of anything really, apart from technology and plane tickets), and of course the ones that are on sale don't have my size left. Alas. Highly impractical for cycling in anyway, so I will just keep on admiring them from afar.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 31 Jan 2012, 19:26

Duckay: I meant Converse-type shoes, which is why I didn't use a capital letter. No clue if there is another term for this kind of shoes.

Tally: They're really cute :) I think they'd look great on you. Why would it be hard to pedal with them, though? Don't you pedal with the front part anyways?
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 31 Jan 2012, 19:30

Avistew wrote:Duckay: I meant Converse-type shoes, which is why I didn't use a capital letter. No clue if there is another term for this kind of shoes.

I just looked it up. Apparently they are a variety of "plimsolls" or "canvas shoes".
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 31 Jan 2012, 19:31

Duckay, do you intend to post an image of your wedding dress here? Do I need to put this thread on my Do Not Read list?
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 31 Jan 2012, 19:42

Ohhh yeah I want to see the wedding dress. But perhaps after the wedding. My dress was a total frankendress. 3 wedding dresses made into ONE WEDDING DRESS OF DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Duckay, to save yourself a headache and possible a lot of people whining at you, I would suggest sending the dress to them and getting them to get it tailored to their bodies. Set a rule with the length though, otherwise you might run into some girls making it into a cocktail dress! :lol:
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 31 Jan 2012, 19:45

TheRocket wrote:Duckay, to save yourself a headache and possible a lot of people whining at you, I would suggest sending the dress to them and getting them to get it tailored to their bodies. Set a rule with the length though, otherwise you might run into some girls making it into a cocktail dress! :lol:

That is true, that I have the option now of saying, "YOU GUYS SORT IT OUT" and taking the heat off myself.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 31 Jan 2012, 19:46

First of all, Tally, those shoes read "adorable crafting genius". BUY THEM.

As for your tailoring issue Duckay, I would suggest insuring the crap out of the packages and shipping them for the girls to get them tailored at their homes. That way, if they arrive damaged or messed up, you won't have to worry about buying new dresses for them to get, as the postal service would be responsible for all damages.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 31 Jan 2012, 20:12

The menswear thread started talking about bras, I figured it's more appropriate for here. So, bras.

I have to admit, I don't tend to wear them, because I find myself more comfortable without them. I usually wear them for sports or sexy time only. I'm pretty sure I wear the right size, but if you want I can post pics (if it would be allowed on these forums?) and you can tell me what you think.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 31 Jan 2012, 20:16

If you've been measured more than once, it's almost certainly not the fitting. That was just my first thought because I know a lot of women don't wear the right size. Actually, I don't think I wear the right size - I should check on that sometime.

I also have the problem you're describing with one of my bras, but it's a bit old and it was pretty cheap, so I figured that could be it.

Other than that, I'm no good at trouble-shooting bras.

Return to “General Discussion”