Yo Canada, What's Happening Up There?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Re: Yo Canada, What's Happening Up There?

Postby plummeting_sloth » 10 Mar 2012, 12:25

The National Guard can and have been deputized to operate under Federal control and to act in a police capacity. This happened to a positive degree in the school integration fights of the 50's and to a negative degree during Katrina.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Season's Beatings » 10 Mar 2012, 12:41

And very negatively in the Kent State shootings.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 10 Mar 2012, 12:54

Technically, I believe they were still under the state's command during Kent State. Not that it mattered to the people being fired on, of course...
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 10 Mar 2012, 17:07

CancerBottle wrote:Does the Army Corps of Engineers and Natty Guard count?

Regardless of what they do or to whom they report, they are US military organizations operating on US soil.

I don't really have anything more to add to this discussion past my previous post, so I'll leave it at that.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 11 Mar 2012, 05:57

Least the black helicopters find you.
CancerBottle
First Video: Fun with Condoms

Postby CancerBottle » 11 Mar 2012, 11:33

madAlric wrote:
CancerBottle wrote:Does the Army Corps of Engineers and Natty Guard count?

Regardless of what they do or to whom they report, they are US military organizations operating on US soil.

I don't really have anything more to add to this discussion past my previous post, so I'll leave it at that.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/198/010/tysonreaction.gif

But they don't routinely engage in policing activities on U.S. soil. Their powers are limited to very specific tasks. The U.S. has a long tradition of not letting the military do that for very good reasons as we've seen in countless countries.

It would with this bill.
"Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 13 Mar 2012, 15:28

Technically, it would be codifying and clarifying language already established in many of the immediate post- 9/11 security bills. Not that that's awesome, but the law itself is toothless without that precedent... which is why the signing statement/executive action done after it's passing is so effective, at least in terms of this administration. It doesn't undue anything... it just keeps the language as muddy as before then uses the unclarity to maneuver around the worst parts concerning military detentions and domestic operations.

Return to “General Discussion”