nVidia Sucks

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
taza
First Video: Max Effect

Re: nVidia Sucks

Postby taza » 27 Feb 2012, 09:26

Feh, liquid cooling. Way too much effort for the benefit.

My rules are simple:

Buy quality hardware.
Buy faster rather than overclocking.
Have fans at the front pushing in with a filter, have fans at the back pushing out.
Make sure the air has a clear path inside the case, and have heatsinks clip that path.
Keep it running after building for three hours at 100% and keep 20% overhead for degradation of the cooling.

And then personal preferences:

Don't overthink it.
Always err on the side of more cooling.
Have intake at the front and push out at the bottom, to leave the top of the case free to have things on it.

... also, that part about "There, solved that for you" was facetious - there are many perfectly functional answers to those questions, including the ones I listed. The only thing I actually object to is "having the case side open cools down the components" - my experience has been that with a solid airflow through the case, the case side being closed gets much better results. Of course, I favor heatsink-cooled parts.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 27 Feb 2012, 09:31

taza wrote:Feh, liquid cooling. Way too much effort for the benefit.

But it can look awesome :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Postby Dibria » 27 Feb 2012, 10:01

@taza - you may find this interesting http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-cooling-investigation/1 - far from definitive but interesting.

@geoff_B - I saw that it was insane, if you read the build logs he had awkward conversations when ordering the mineral oil as it's apparently usually used as a horse laxative o.0

Return to “General Discussion”