Legend of Korra!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Kthanid
First Video: My memory isn't that good.

Re: Legend of Korra!

Postby Kthanid » 11 Apr 2012, 12:22

So anyone else hoping for some flashbacks of Tenzin as a kid or even Korra talking to Aang (a la him talking to Roku?)
I don't even...what?
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 11 Apr 2012, 12:23

Oh man, it's going to be so weird to hear Aang's grown-up voice. O.O
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 11 Apr 2012, 12:40

Must...not...troll...with Navi...jokes...
-Wraith
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 12 Apr 2012, 01:10

How would such jokes even work?

Not to be rude, but I don't think you can get more laughable than Fern Gully as portrayed by electric blue cat people with extension cord tails. :P

~Alja~
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 12 Apr 2012, 03:31

The Jester wrote:Could be a granddaughter and she's selling melons.

teehee
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 12 Apr 2012, 03:58

Perhaps paired with her brother selling sausages.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 12 Apr 2012, 14:00

Decided to re-watch Avatar: The Last Airbender while studying, and I'm not even at the second season yet and I already remember why Iroh is pretty much my favourite character.

Edit: And now I'm crying! The story between Sokka and Yue makes me so sad-faaaaaaaace! Hard to try to write anything on my assignment while my sight is blurred(took me long enough to write this). ;_;
Hurp-De-Durp!
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 12 Apr 2012, 18:22

My guess is that there will be some sort of authority figure that pre-judges korra based on the fact that a parent or grandparent's prosperous cabbage buisness was ruined by the last avatar.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 12 Apr 2012, 19:28

Oh man... please let the be the real reason behind the main villains hatred of benders. His poor family was driven to destitution by the constant destruction of his fathers business and he now only harbors thoughts of revenge.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 12 Apr 2012, 19:41

~Alja~
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 15 Apr 2012, 22:05

So I'm having a problem.

I watched the first two episodes in their glorious HD quality when they were first "pre-released". And now that they've aired officially, I was gonna watch them again and get ready for the third episode. But I can't find any version online that isn't TERRIBAD quality. What's a fella' gotta do to get a high resolution version of this show?

MLP:FIM is on youtube in full HD a couple days after it updates - a fact to which I attribute chief responsibility for my ever watching the show to begin with. So what's the deal with Korra? Are they trying to drive people to watch it on television, or something? What're they thinking?

~Alja~
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 16 Apr 2012, 05:25

Alja-Markir wrote:So I'm having a problem.

I watched the first two episodes in their glorious HD quality when they were first "pre-released". And now that they've aired officially, I was gonna watch them again and get ready for the third episode. But I can't find any version online that isn't TERRIBAD quality. What's a fella' gotta do to get a high resolution version of this show?

MLP:FIM is on youtube in full HD a couple days after it updates - a fact to which I attribute chief responsibility for my ever watching the show to begin with. So what's the deal with Korra? Are they trying to drive people to watch it on television, or something? What're they thinking?

~Alja~

The first two episodes are free to download on iTunes.

You can also watch them for free on nickelodeon's official website: nick.com.

Both are in fairly high quality.

IMAGINE, the show's creators want you to watch the show on a site where they, not youtuber korrafan92336, make money off of it. THE AUDACITY.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 16 Apr 2012, 12:02

So a few things.

I went to the Nickelodeon site TWICE before this looking for the show, couldn't figure out where the episodes were. It's a confusing blob of flash, badly designed to the point that I actually was convinced the videos were not there at all, because there are no obvious links to them and everything on the website is ancillary promotional garbage.

I was expecting to find a youtube version because most of the time, a show like this is NOT on the producing company's website. (MLP, it seems, actually is. I just went to check, to be honest, though it seems that only the 2 most recent episodes are available, so what good is that? Also, again, terrible flashblob of poor navigation with most links being to games or video clips instead of episodes, although not as bad as Nickelodeon.)

The fans, on the other hand, make it very easy to find the episode you want. Go to google and type in something like "My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Season 2 Episode 5" and you get tons of results from everybody BUT the show's creators. In the top five links you'll find three different sources offering that exact episode in HD quality, none of the "legitimate".

If these companies want their shows to suceed, they need to realize that in this day and age exposure is key. The ONLY reason I watched the Legend of Korra was because it was free to do so and the links were clear and obvious. It got me REALLY interested, as this thread evidences, so I went and hunted down Avatar: The Last Airbender too, seeking out all the fan-supplied viewing sources (since there weren't official ones readily available). I am now an avid fan of the series and the characters, and countless times more likely to give the creators my money than before, when my interest was literally non-existant.

If the only reason I watch a show is because youtuber korrafan92336 uploads it to youtube, then Nick should be HAPPY for the free publicity. I wasn't aware random youtubers could actually make money uploading videos like LoK (ad revenue, I guess? I use an ad-blocker so I don't know any different), but if Nick doesn't like that fact, then why don't they make an official channel on youtube and post it there themselves? Or if they don't want it anywhere but their own site, then make their website version the best and most convenient version to use, instead of trying to quash fan efforts to upload the show in more accessible places.

I don't mind watching it on the Nickelodeon site, really. But I do mind that I had to search around a fair bit, go to the obvious location and miss it TWICE, have to ask for directions, and only THEN find what should have been obvious all along. It's like having a popular restaurant tucked away in an obscure location - you look up the address and go there, but can't find the damn place because it turns out their sign is really tiny and the actually restaurant is tucked away up a gated flight of stairs set between two clothing stores with massive signs. You KNOW it should be there, but you also expect it to be more obvious, considering.

~Alja~
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 16 Apr 2012, 16:55

Dude I know you're ranting, but you're preaching to the quire.
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 16 Apr 2012, 17:49

I hate kiddy flash-based websites as much as the next guy, (kids must love them because companies keep making them) though really, iTunes makes it really easy to find, and if you're used to procuring shows legally, iTunes would be one of the first places you'd check. :/ And nick.com isn't nearly as bad as it used to be; I can't figure out how it could be easier. You go to nick.com, click on the picture of Korra at the top, go to "Videos", then "Full Episodes." It's actually virtually identical to CBS's website, or Hulu's, or a multitude of other sites.

And frankly, if you can't put in the marginal amount of effort required to not just sit on youtube all day to support the creators of something that is kickass, you're being seriously lazy and extremely entitled. They're not asking you to jump through hoops or install DRM; you just have to go to a website that isn't youtube.

Only the two most recent episodes are up because big media companies haven't figured out that people don't want to watch TV shows episodically anymore. And because they want you to eventually buy the DVDs. But it's better than nothing.

The fans make it easy, but it's illegal, and you're not supporting the people who make the stuff. I'll bet it's super easy to watch LRR stuff on youtube all day, every day, on randomguy1234's channel, but I think everyone would agree that you'd be a dick doing so. Is LRR so fundamentally different from Michael Dimartino and Bryan Konietzko (who, by the way, had to FIGHT to get Nick to air a show with a female protagonist, so they deserve our support if for no other reason than that).

"Exposure is key" is true only for certain situations. It's certainly true for rising stars like LRR (or, it was in the past. LRR's kind of a big deal now. I'll get to that in a moment). More exposure = more fans = more revenue. It's also true for shows like MLP that are created with the express purpose of selling toys, which is the only reason those gazillion videos on youtube haven't been pulled. More exposure = more toys. But when your show has hundreds of thousands of fans, and doesn't ride on toy sales, you've got a problem. Now more exposure ISN'T key. Monitization is key. At a certain point, you've got zillions of eyeballs looking at your stuff. Now what? As you point out, you're now an "avid fan" of the series, and you're more likely to give the creators more money than before. What you're missing is how do the creators give you the chance to give them your money? DVDs and merch will only cover so much (unless your whole scheme was designed around selling ponies to six year olds, in which case I suspect you kept your original show budget very tight).

You are a rarity, Alja (pony pun not intended), in that, given the chance, you'd probably just hand the creators a giant wad of cash (more than the cost of a DVD set) in exchange for easy access to HD versions of the show. You are not most people. Most people would balk at that idea. Think of your parents. Or your grandparents. Or whatever space-relatives you have.

That's why businesses turn to advertising, because most people would rather sell their time and eyeballs than hand over a chunk of cash.

And the only way they can advertise is by controlling where and when you can see their show. If you're forced to watch it on reruns on TV, that means more advertising cash for them.

Yes, I will agree, if they were wise, they'd realize they could let people watch any episode they want and just advertise the shit out of it online. But you yourself just admitted you're using adblock. So THAT doesn't work.

So basically, media companies are doing a good job of making their own shitty bed, but you're helping them make it and slipping in under the covers, too. Your own behavior (procuring things on youtube rather than looking for the official site, using adblock) is not encouraging them to move in the right direction. If you want to see change (and it's happening, if slowly), vote with your dollars and eyeballs in the right place.

EDIT: Sorry, I got ranty. I just want to see media distribution on the internet changed for the better, and it takes smart, informed individuals like you to help do so by applying force through viewing power.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 16 Apr 2012, 19:07

Ditto to Ditto. There are plenty of legitimate ways to watch either series that actually benefit the content creators. Adblock is a bit no-no too. How hard is it to mute an ad and click to a new tab.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Asturiel
First Video: The Job

Postby Asturiel » 16 Apr 2012, 19:31

So I'm curious if anybody had a similar progression.
Initial "Polar bear dog? Really? That seems really tame compared to some of the other hybrid animals, so dumb."
After Ep 1 "NAGA IS THE CUTEST THING EVER!!!!!!"
Hackett out.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 16 Apr 2012, 20:35

Keep in mind that Polar Bears, being the worlds largest carnivore, are damn vicious animals. They WILL fuck you up. Many dogs are also quite capable of fucking you up. So yeah, I would not want to be on the wrong end of a Polar-Bear-Dog. Probably the only thing worse would be if it took on dog social behaviour and made a pack with other Polar-Bear-Dogs. That's scary just to think about.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Asturiel

Postby Asturiel » 17 Apr 2012, 07:00

I didn't mean tame as in docile, I meant tame as in not as exciting as a turtle duck or platypus bear.
Hackett out.
Drdiggit42

Postby Drdiggit42 » 17 Apr 2012, 07:18

Polar-bear-dog is definitely the best south or north pole(not sure which one she is from) animal hybrid.

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Apr 2012, 07:39

Korra is from the South Pole.

And I think the Poler-bear-dog is the best fit for both the environment (both in the South Pole and Republic City), and for Korra.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Asturiel

Postby Asturiel » 17 Apr 2012, 07:53

Well the ideal spirit animal would be the moon/tide so that we could have the first bender be her guide but for some strange reason I don't think that would work :P

I concur with this statement, Naga seems to be a perfect companion for Korra, soft appearance and approachable while still being goddamn terrifying in the right situations.

Also @Drdiggit, your avatar had me spaced out for so long while I was trying to post this!
Hackett out.
Drdiggit42

Postby Drdiggit42 » 17 Apr 2012, 12:25

Asturiel wrote:...Also @Drdiggit, your avatar had me spaced out for so long while I was trying to post this!

Ah-ha another falls victim to my cunning trap.

Tyrodis
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Tyrodis » 17 Apr 2012, 14:58

I am SOOOOOOO excited for LoK, I've been waiting a very long time....
My motto is "Never Say Never", which makes it difficult to tell people my motto.....
.....☢Also Radiation☢

NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 18 Apr 2012, 01:19

Curse my inability to not click on a link that contains the word "legend". Now I have something else to watch and help take up my limited free time. Now I'm going to have to start having to concentrate to keep them from crossing over...

<.<

... too late...
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Return to “General Discussion”