The Universal National Secret

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

The Universal National Secret

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 09 May 2012, 15:34

I've had this vague story idea, really more of a setting, rattling around in my head for years, and I figured others here might find it interesting to contemplate and discuss.

Simply put, imagine that every country has its own innate superpower. Every native resident of that country has this superpower, with the governmental mandate that it is a national secret not to be shared with any outsider nor to be used outside the country, at least not in plain sight. The power might have contributed to the national stereotype abroad and/or to the geopolitical history of the country, but remains secret nonetheless.

What would those superpowers be and why?

Some of the ones I'm reasonably stable on:
  • United Kingdom: Teleportation, which enabled significant troop movements in warfare and global dominance during the empire
  • United States: Pyrokinesis, because just about everywhere it goes (including home) seems to burst into flame at some point
  • Japan: A unique case, because they possessed a different power prior to the atomic bombings. The national superpower has since "mutated" into extreme technological aptitude, though the odd survivor with the original power might still exist.
  • Russia: Environmental resistance, especially pertaining to cold, which has enabled their success in the frigid northern climate as well as their legendary defeat of other nations attempting to invade
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
House MD
First Video: Cronologically in LRR's timeline or mine
Location: Chester, it's like where I used to live, but more northern.

Re: The Universal National Secret

Postby House MD » 09 May 2012, 15:43

Afganistan: Telepathy. Useful during the many times their country has been invaded, enables them to communicate without causing any noise.

Ireland: Cellular Regeneration. Originally a body wide power, it quickly became specific to the liver and brain.

Austrailia: Enviromental Resistance. Their power, much like that of Russia has to do with surviving in a harsh enviroment. However, theirs is a hot, dusty land filled with poison. It would also explain how they can drink Fosters.
I am the physical manifestation of the Phailhaus. SO much so, my friends call me it.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 09 May 2012, 15:44

TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 09 May 2012, 15:54

I kinda feel like New Zealand should get the power of great cinematography...
The_Doctor
First Video: le cafe

Postby The_Doctor » 09 May 2012, 16:31

House MD wrote:It would also explain how they can drink Fosters.

We don't drink, we just send it to you as some form of colosal practical joke.
Has Tardis, will travel
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 May 2012, 16:48

Wales: Innate sense of hearing. Able to dissect sound and rearrange it into its perfect components.

England: Soft Xenophobia. Being able to invent something to poke fun with any nationality.

Scotland: Two Tongues. Being able to speak two languages simultaneously creating a strange tone that confuses any potential threat.

Netherlands: Hydomancery. Being able to manipulate water.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 09 May 2012, 21:19

Actually Gunner, while that would be a pretty cool one, I feel like Canada's would be emotional manipulation. I mean think about it:

- The apology, while joked about, is a trademark Canadian thing, which helps to diffuse tension.
- Some of the more well-known celebrities and comedians in American media are from Canada. You have Pam Anderson and Ryan Reynolds for the "OMG do me now!" manipulation of lust and attraction, and you have Phil Hartman (may he rest in peace), Elvira Kurt, and about 50 percent of SNL actors for the funny people that make you feel good. Then you have William Shatner, who has to be the Dr. Xavier of Canada.
- Ever notice how wherever a Canadian goes in the world, very few people ever say anything bad about them? That's not a fluke...

I think I may have just either blown my own mind, or cast myself in Lyinginbedmon's story as the conspiracy theorist who no one believes and all the other countries are trying to "silence".
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 09 May 2012, 21:23

House MD wrote:Austrailia: Enviromental Resistance. Their power, much like that of Russia has to do with surviving in a harsh enviroment. However, theirs is a hot, dusty land filled with poison. It would also explain how they can drink Fosters.

After having watched a bunch of Adam Hills stand-up comedy, I would have gone with "superhuman skill at ruby and cricket".
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 09 May 2012, 21:28

Interesting concept. Too bad I'm too tired to add anything to the conversation other the voicing my opinion the general idea.
The Architect
First Video: Unskippable

Postby The Architect » 09 May 2012, 22:21

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I kinda feel like New Zealand should get the power of great cinematography...

Illusion casting.

Now, here's the question: what happens when someone emmigrates to another country and has a kid with a native of this new land? Is the power tied to the nation?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 09 May 2012, 22:28

The Architect wrote:Now, here's the question: what happens when someone emmigrates to another country and has a kid with a native of this new land? Is the power tied to the nation?

I would think that it would be tied to the nation they were born in, depending on the source of the ability. If it's exposure to a certain environment, then it'd likely be where they grow up.

Though that does raise a good question if it is genetic-based. What happens when two people from different countries have a child? Is there a dominant gene? Would they get both? And if it is environmental, what if they spend a roughly even time in two countries? Less common, but still possible.
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 09 May 2012, 23:02

tak197 wrote:Ever notice how wherever a Canadian goes in the world, very few people ever say anything bad about them? That's not a fluke...

It's basically my policy to say I'm Canadian when asked where I'm from wherever I'm traveling. Except at the US Ambassador's 4th of July party, because they probably would have kicked me out. Seriously though, I have a Canadian flag patch on my suitcase so I don't even have to say anything. I'm sorry for taking advantage of your good international reputation, Canada.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 10 May 2012, 03:07

The_Doctor wrote:
House MD wrote:It would also explain how they can drink Fosters.

We don't drink, we just send it to you as some form of colosal practical joke.

Not that other mass market Australian beer is that much better.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Preacher
First Video: The Job

Postby Preacher » 10 May 2012, 03:17

Oh, I don't know. Theres always VB....
Do you guys mind. I'm trying to write an essay

Its probably not a good thing I feel the need to put a disclaimer after everything I say

This is a thing my and my friend run.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 10 May 2012, 03:19

Australian beer is like sex in a canoe. Fucking close to water.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 10 May 2012, 04:28

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Netherlands: Hydomancery. Being able to manipulate water.

Ok. Time for an etymology lesson.

Hydro = water. Mancy = divination. Exousiazo = control.

Hydromancy = using water to try and get some insight into the future.

Hydroexousiazo = control over water.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 10 May 2012, 04:29

Oi, that is the wrong country. Although Australia beer is slightly weaker on average than Canadian beer.

VB is not good beer but it is proper beer unlike the fucking light beer that seems to be everywhere. I prefer it to Carlton Draught. Why the hell do you advertise beer as being 'made from beer'.

For those keeping score at home, both VB and Carlton Draught are owned by Foster's Group. Despite no one drinking Foster's in Australia (the only place I have had it was in Abu Dubai) Foster's Group is one of the two big breweries in Australia.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 11 May 2012, 07:42

The Jester wrote:Hydroexousiazo = control over water.

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well though...

Germany I think needs some degree of superhuman strength, but I'm not entirely convinced of that being their full blown power.

France almost seems like its power should have died with the monarchy, but I think some kind of empathy would be appropriate given their command of the arts and theatre, and of particular note being revolution and Napoleon, a man so potent in the art that he convinced an entire army sent to kill him to join him instead.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 11 May 2012, 08:42

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
The Jester wrote:Hydroexousiazo = control over water.

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well though...

Well no, but I just can't take a character seriously any more if their power is described as "pyromancy", for example. Or Necromancy. It totally pacifies them as a threat.

Another option could be "command", or perhaps "master", but I can't be bothered looking all of those up and cross-checking them to make sure the word given by the translator makes sense in context.

Actually, here, the English to Greek translator I was using. It gives the words in the Greek alphabet and a Anglicised one.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 11 May 2012, 08:46

Except that Necromancy is the termed used for what Necromancers practice pretty much everywhere.

Just because you don't take it seriously doesn't mean it's wrong.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 11 May 2012, 08:57

Wikipedia wrote:The word "necromancy" is adapted from Late Latin necromantia, itself borrowed from post-Classical Greek νεκρομαντεία (nekromanteía), a compound of Ancient Greek νεκρός (nekrós), "dead body", and μαντεία (manteía), "prophecy or divination"; this compound form was first used by Origen of Alexandria in the 3rd century CE.[3] The Classical Greek term was ἡ νέκυια (nekyia), from the episode of the Odyssey in which Odysseus visits the realm of the dead, νεκυομαντεία in Hellenistic Greek, rendered as necyomantīa in Latin, and as necyomancy in 17th century English.[4]

The Internet wrote:The Latin word for Control is imperium

The Intenet wrote:The Latin word for Water is aqua

Aquamperium?
DarkAbyssKeeper
First Video: Echo

Postby DarkAbyssKeeper » 11 May 2012, 09:41

My go to magical word construction of choice is -thurge or -thurgy/-turgy, meaning 'to use'.

Pyrothurge, necrothurge and hydrothurge all sound more sinister than their -mancy equivalents. Although I do like using -mancy if I'm referring to divination, because it does sound cool.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 11 May 2012, 11:11

Just call us water-benders. Everyone understands that.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
House MD
First Video: Cronologically in LRR's timeline or mine
Location: Chester, it's like where I used to live, but more northern.

Postby House MD » 15 May 2012, 02:29

tak197 wrote:
House MD wrote:Austrailia: Enviromental Resistance. Their power, much like that of Russia has to do with surviving in a harsh enviroment. However, theirs is a hot, dusty land filled with poison. It would also explain how they can drink Fosters.

After having watched a bunch of Adam Hills stand-up comedy, I would have gone with "superhuman skill at ruby and cricket".

Ha, we beat them at cricket. England all the way.
I am the physical manifestation of the Phailhaus. SO much so, my friends call me it.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 15 May 2012, 06:18

I expect next year's Ashes to be much closer.

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!

On the note of Australian cricket:

Bill Bryson wrote:I am quite certain that if the rest of the world vanished over night and the development of cricket was left in Australian hands, within a generation the players would be wearing shorts and using the bats to hit each other.

Return to “General Discussion”