The depressing depression thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Re: The depressing depression thread

Postby Rikadyn » 14 Feb 2015, 09:05

Last edited by Rikadyn on 03 Mar 2015, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 14 Feb 2015, 09:41

Deedles wrote:That is people being short-sighted and not thinking before they speak. The correct answer to someone having issues isn't "But I can do it!" because that's just kicking someone who's already down. It's great that these people have relationships, but when someone else is talking about wanting one, or that they're lonely, is NOT the time to bring it up. But for some reason it seems that people often forget that and think that their positive example will bring motivation, or inspiration, or joy, or I don't know.

That said, they're not trying to be malicious. In a word they're simply being idiots. I know that might very likely not make you feel better, but it's an important distinction to make.

Mid-February is generally not going to be an ideal time to talk about it either. Everyone and their dog is talking about this, which it makes it hard to distinguish cases where this is part of serious mental pain from general grousing, especially when it's between faceless strangers. That the topic is going to be on everyone's minds also makes conversation drift more likely, which seems to have happened here to an extent.

Rikadyn wrote:i know, i don't harbor any real ill feelings towards anyone, but doesn't change the feeling of being kicked in the ribs.

Yeah, it's always the way sadly. Similar to how someone knocking you to the ground still hurts regardless of whether it was accidental or deliberate.

Sorta like right now it's 2am and after forcing myself to stay awake 2days I woke back up after just after sleeping for 2 hours and get to suffer through another night of crying fits alone

If this is what your sleeping pattern is like, I would suggest you try and get some help about it. Heavy sleep-dep wrecks mental states, and when your mental state isn't great in the first place things can get very uncomfortable.
Of course, being aware of that just makes it worse, since nothing ruins sleep faster than thinking 'I really need to get to sleep'.
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 14 Feb 2015, 13:00

When I was at my own lowest point I felt a slight bit less horrible to know that things can get better from hearing of others that were previously going through what I was going through at the time. In a way it helped me start to counter the negative cycling thoughts that told me there was no point to anything...which worked some days more than others.
*Has flashback of some of the family especially the outgoing morning people making me want to stay in my room instead of facing any of them.*
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 14 Feb 2015, 13:13

MetricFurlong wrote: If this is what your sleeping pattern is like, I would suggest you try and get some help about it. Heavy sleep-dep wrecks mental states, and when your mental state isn't great in the first place things can get very uncomfortable.
Of course, being aware of that just makes it worse, since nothing ruins sleep faster than thinking 'I really need to get to sleep'.

Something that I came across just recently seems to work for getting to sleep faster (may not get dreams but at least will force the brain to slow the breathing). Breath in for a count to 4 (deep into the abs), hold it while counting to 7, then exhale while counting to 8 and repeat that pattern until sleep happens.
Image Image
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Feb 2015, 13:14

Isn't that oxygen deprevation causing you to pass out?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 14 Feb 2015, 13:24

Elomin Sha wrote:Isn't that oxygen deprevation causing you to pass out?

...I'm not suggesting holding it long enough to starve a brain, just to coax it into taking in more oxygen when it does intake.
Image Image
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Feb 2015, 13:27

I feel like I'm getting light headed.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 14 Feb 2015, 15:02

Better results if done in a horizontal position.
Image Image
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 14 Feb 2015, 15:42

Last edited by Rikadyn on 03 Mar 2015, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 14 Feb 2015, 15:44

Last edited by Rikadyn on 03 Mar 2015, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Feb 2015, 02:15

In pain.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 22 Feb 2015, 06:59

Well, I'm out of a job.
Fuck
My boss just told me that he has too many debts to afford to keep employing me, my one co-worker, or continue renting the office.
Fuck
I was really enjoying full time employment. The work coming in had been rather slack recently, so I'd been doing a bunch of SEO, which kinda sucked, but I was enjoying editing when it needed doing. I was getting worried that the work was too sporadic for the last few months.
Fuck
I know the most important thing to do is to get back out there quick and get another job. I have social anxiety, which crops up in the weirdest places I suck at interviews for one. It either makes me clam up or come across as a arsehole as I try to laugh off my stammering.
Fuck
I don't want to go back on the sodding dole.
Fuck
My boss has told me that he's happy to give me whatever excellent reference I want, and hopefully when work picks up a bit, he may be able to take me back on (in around 1 to 2 years). I'm not even sure what my job title is, scientific journal article editor? Science editor?
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 22 Feb 2015, 13:06

Sorry to hear that, Ptang. :( Hope you can find something without too much hassle!
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 22 Feb 2015, 16:04

Scientific journal article editor sounds like a good job title to me. For interviews you can do a mock interview with people you know. As well I would suggest bringing a letter (disclosure statement) explaining that you have social anxiety and for them to understand that is the reason for your behavior. I have done this for my co-op interviews and it really helped, the interviewers were understanding and gave me the extra time I needed to answer questions.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 23 Feb 2015, 00:55

What sort of editor are you? Academic publishing has several sorts of editors.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 23 Feb 2015, 07:40

I've done medical, biology, a few engineering subjects and sociology. Also many papers prior to submission to journals in all kinds of stuff.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 23 Feb 2015, 08:30

About job interviews: be prepared. Some questions come up pretty much every interview and you should have a ready made and compelling answer to them. Questions like name 3 good and 3 bad aspects of yourself. Or why do you want to work for us. Or (often not as explicitly stated) what sets you apart from your coworkers and other applicants. Ill try to get a bit of a longer post in when im not typing on my phone
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 24 Feb 2015, 06:16

Last edited by Rikadyn on 03 Mar 2015, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Feb 2015, 06:48

Rikadyn wrote:I need to find me a wall and bash my head into it till thinking stops
I know that feel... *hugs* My brain gets me in so much trouble sometimes...
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 25 Feb 2015, 20:42

Instead let Alex's draw stream distract for a while...on in less than 20 min provided the stream works on time: http://www.twitch.tv/voxlunch
Image Image
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 25 Feb 2015, 22:09

I've been in a real funk lately. I've been working on a writing project that has dragged on WAY too long, but I'm close to being finished. I'm trying to work out the end, and I just get frustrated. If I work on something else, I feel like I'm not doing what I should be.

I'm at my unhappiest when I want to do something creative, but can't for some reason. Sometimes, I just haven't found the thing I really want to do at that moment, or sometimes I just feel like I "need" to be working on something else, but my mind is inspired to do something different.

Last night, I started going back through the story from the very beginning and gently tweaking some of the stuff from the start (some of this stuff was written YEARS ago now. I am a very enthusiastic, but also a very slow writer). I've been changing some little things, adjusting things that I now see as out-of-character for the characters in it. I don't really write in drafts: if I had to write another draft of anything, I'd just never get the second draft done because I write so slowly and carefully, I'm usually satisfied with the "first" draft.

I've only gone through the first twelve or so pages, but... MAN. It feels SO GOOD. It's such a relief.

I don't often have good news for this thread, so I thought I'd share that. I have good days and bad, and today has wound up being OK.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 25 Feb 2015, 23:47

I wish I was better at this whole 'friend making' malarkey, but I seem to have issues getting involved and feeling... Pleh.
Hurp-De-Durp!
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 26 Feb 2015, 03:19

Sometimes trying to make friends is like stumbling blind drunk through a dark room full of precariously perched pricesless vases.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Feb 2015, 12:02

I just about want to put a bullet through my skull to get away from stupid people... Either that or put bullets through their skulls...
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 Feb 2015, 14:28

'Sup guys?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."

Return to “General Discussion”