The depressing depression thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: The depressing depression thread

Postby JustAName » 30 Aug 2016, 00:21

Oh yeah. Rooming with people (friends!) whose family paid for college and they had money for a car and fun experiences... yeah. I feel that.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 01 Sep 2016, 05:23

Facebook reminded me today that I was almost raped 5 years ago, and the police did nothing about it. Wow. Way to go Facebook.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 01 Sep 2016, 22:31

*offers MinniChi hugs* I hope you are in a safe and relaxing space right now. <3
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 01 Sep 2016, 23:03

Re family disappointment: Many families have at least one loud person who can't be pleased and is very vocal about it while the others don't defend even if they don't agree. This can make it hard to see everyone's point of view accurately especially if you're not inclined to speak with each of them about it easily one at a time without the loud mouth hearing about it. Worst is when families get the notion to gang up on one member instead of speaking to that member first to see if they can clear the matter up without bringing humiliation upon them or similar.
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Sep 2016, 11:16

Danielle Pepin wrote:*offers MinniChi hugs* I hope you are in a safe and relaxing space right now. <3

*Ahem* I think you forgot I reside here. Nothing's safe.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 03 Sep 2016, 01:09

Elomin Sha wrote:
Danielle Pepin wrote:*offers MinniChi hugs* I hope you are in a safe and relaxing space right now. <3

Not the right time for that joke man.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 03 Sep 2016, 04:40

Elomin Sha wrote:

But you're safer than that other guy from 5 years ago :)

I'm sure you'd just set me on fire.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 03 Sep 2016, 09:49

MinniChi wrote:
Elomin Sha wrote:

But you're safer than that other guy from 5 years ago :)

I'm sure you'd just set me on fire.

Nah, I'd just put you in the bag.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 03 Sep 2016, 13:51

Not if I put you in there first.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 03 Sep 2016, 14:03

I am the bag.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Sep 2016, 21:28

The FanDraft is no more... Long live the FanDraft!

:-(
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

leapy
First Video: One of the old ENN ones, it was ages ago

Postby leapy » 06 Sep 2016, 07:38

Another day, another job rejection e-mail. Oh, and one off to interview that I REALLY don't want and only applied to out of desperation.
NebulosDisconcertion
First Video: Pony Time

Postby NebulosDisconcertion » 06 Sep 2016, 20:59

My last job was applied for out of desperation. I remember getting it, and on the way out thinking 'Wow, I really don't want to work here.'
I worked there for almost two years.
Is it because it actually turned out to be a really great place?
No, this is the depression thread, it was terrible.

Well, my alarm clock never made me cry. So I guess it wasn't the worst job I've had.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Sep 2016, 23:36

One of these days... im going to work up the nerve to talk, but not yet. Thank you all for being... well you.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 08 Sep 2016, 23:45

We're here when you need us, Hosk. *Hugs*
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Sep 2016, 13:31

These are the days that I wonder... of what use am I? There are many other people who can do what I do, but do it better. I don't think I'm the best at anything, and I'm replaceable in all of my aspects. I feel unnecessary and unneeded. Why should I go on when I bring nothing unique or exemplary to the table?

I feel like I'm just wasting time by continuing.

Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 09 Sep 2016, 14:13

Well, maybe it's a small thing, Memo, but I like to see you in LRR chat. I like talking to you. I like hearing your perspective on things. And I know I'm not the only one.

If you were "replaced," well, I'd lose that. It wouldn't be the same. You couldn't be replaced. That's all you, and only you.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Sep 2016, 15:09

OK, after discussion in LRRchat... I guess the problem is that what makes me unique and irreplaceable is something that's not quantifiable. And therein lies the problem. My brain wants something you can point at and define, something you can explain in words, something that you can say "This is why we need you." And that doesn't exist.

auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 13 Sep 2016, 09:18

Removed.
Last edited by auberginequeen on 01 Dec 2019, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 13 Sep 2016, 12:00

I know so many people for whom medication worked wonders, with negligible side effects. I know you're scared based on past experiences, but I think the right meds are out there. Proper medication doesn't make you no longer you. It helps you to be you, in fact - like glasses or mobility devices. It is ultimately your decision, but I do think it's worth another try.

That said, here's the other part: You are worth so, so much! You did a MASTERS! That's a hell of a lot of work! They don't just hand those things out. And slow rolling it isn't going to prevent you from finding work later on. I know it feels like it is, but taking care of yourself will only lead you to be more comfortable and better able to accept a position in the future. If you know anyone in the field, ask if you can shadow them. See if you can find something that really speaks to you.

Everything sucks and is the worst, I know. Uncertainty is killer. I can only speak to my experience, which is that being done with my degree and working in an (admittedly temporary) position doing exactly what I want to do is hecking amazing. I love every day of it. I hope you can find that yourself. Let me know if I can help.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Sep 2016, 17:36

Aub: I want you to do something for me. I want you to read these five comics.

They will show you that you're not alone in this, whether it's working on a college degree or dealing with brain issues.

betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 14 Sep 2016, 23:27

I feel like I'm spiralling and there's nothing I can do.

I feel like an outsider in all my circles at school. I'm the only appointed position in the GSA, and I'm not included in meetings. I'm the Masters student trying to continue into a PhD, and not looking for a job. To the PhD candidates, I'm the Masters student.

My advisor tried to fund me this quarter, and it came out to 1.5 months short of living expenses. My car is increasingly garbage and I'm considering taking the $1k from the state to retire it. But then I'd be car-less. If I do still have a car, insurance for the year is due in October. I want to do something really special for my mom's birthday because it's an important round number, but money guilt. And that's this weekend.

My birthday is in less than 2 weeks and I'm going to be 27 with zero prospects for jobs, PhD projects, and a decade of abusive/manipulative boyfriends. I haven't been working on MS project prep like I thought I'd be able to, and feel guilty about that.

I can feel my love for my cats slipping more and more into frustration and anger every day. I can feel my ability to put on a face evaporating, and I have a public facing job. I'm turning into my dad, and I'd rather be dead than see that happen.
-betsy
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 19 Sep 2016, 06:25

My life changed a bit after I moved to Finland. I am studying fine arts around other creative people, I still got to keep my job (which I dislike, but eh) so I don't need to worry about rent and food, I get to have some free time and I am in a new distant relationship which is going alright so far.

So I have been trying to figure out why I am still feeling depressed and not wanting to do anything. What I managed to conclude is that no matter how many changes I can make to my life, I don't like the world around me. I don't feel compelled to try to make things better when so many things beyond my control are so fundamentally wrong, pointless, and stupid. I can feel myself becoming a colder, more bitter person again, but I am not sure is there something I can ultimately do other than accept things as they are and live a depressed but with head-above-the-water life. Endure, but not much beyond that.

There are no paths to things that do not exist. And I don't know what to do with this.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 19 Sep 2016, 10:16

Grats, aubergine! That's super impressive! I hope that your depression gets better so you can see how much of an achievement it is :) Psychology is really hard, too!

I take anxiety meds on top of my antidepressants. I'm of course only one person, but for me, I didn't get lost after being on them, I found myself again, and that was great. This being said, if you want to find solutions other than meds, there are some. I don't know if they would work for you, but meditation, regular exercise (even just walking every day), exposure to the sun on a regular basis (pairs wells with the "walking ever day" option) and even diet changes can all help. So can therapy.

I think about mental and emotional disorders in the same way as I think about diabetes. Some people may be able to live with it and never needs med if they make some lifestyle changes, but for a lot of other people, you're going to need to take meds. There may be some side effects (my husband gained weight after being on insulin. Since he needs to lose weight and had been trying hard to, it was a big blow for him, but a common side effect apparently) but giving your body the stuff it needs just helps it works the way it's supposed to.

Again, it's possible you can get better without meds and if you're super opposed to them I'd encourage you to try the non-medication options, but it's also possible that those things won't work for you, or that they will only help a little bit. I really hope you will find something that helps you, but you should probably be ready for the possibility of it involving medication.

Good luck!

@Phi, depression isn't necessarily logical. I've seen how different I am on meds vs without them. On meds, even horrible things aren't that hard to deal with. I mean, stuff may suck, like when my husband was in the hospital for a while, but I just deal with it I guess. Without meds, even when I have no reason to feel bad, I'll be miserable, and then feel worse for not having a reason to and having so many reasons to be happy.

Depression doesn't make sense that way. I hope yours improves and that you feel better.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
leapy
First Video: One of the old ENN ones, it was ages ago

Postby leapy » 21 Sep 2016, 18:09

I can feel myself getting bitter again. I've been unemployed since leaving university this year (an unfinished MEchEng degree). Last week I managed to get a job at a well known pizza chain as a delivery driver. It's SO fucking boring. As I want to earn more than minimum wage I'm still job hunting, so I'm still getting the rekjection emails (when I recieve anything at all).

I know that these rejections aren't personal, but it's starting to feel that way. Each application feels like a massive wasted effort.

My life is delivering starch disks to people with bigger pay packets than me.

Return to “General Discussion”