The Escapist expo.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: The Escapist expo.

Postby Kapol » 05 Sep 2012, 17:59

I'd be happy to help you learn too SAS. Though they do have an official 'Learn to Magic' thing going on at the Expo as well.

One thing I thought of reading the PAX thread, should we try to do a meet-up at sometime too? I'm new to the whole convention thing so I'm not sure what to do. Is passing out a valid option?

Aydin225 wrote:having now read the panel schedule, i am so bummed that I can't stick around for sunday. That hour of love sounds like the funniest thing ever!

"So Bob, now that you can't say negative things, talk for 5 minutes about the expendables"

Yea, the Hour of Love looks to be one of the most entertaining to me too. So many awesome panels, too little time...
sasparilla
First Video: The Job

Postby sasparilla » 09 Sep 2012, 14:52

Yay, we just registered! :D Altho husband and I will only be there for Saturday.

tanatoes and Kapol - thanks, I appreciate it! I've read up a little bit on the mechanics, and played around with this Blue starter deck I got from an Enforcer at PAX, but it's hard to learn real gameplay when no one else around me plays it right now.

So if I re-read this thread right, are these all the people who'll be there?

Graham
Paul
Kapol
Tanatoes + Mrs. Tanatoes
Yaxley
Aydin225
Sasparilla + Mr. Sasparilla

maybe:
plummeting_sloth

?
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Sep 2012, 14:54

Yaxley had a work conflict and had to cancel.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 09 Sep 2012, 18:42

Kapol, you should keep an eye on Graham's Twitter feed - he usually announces get-togethers there during cons. I'm looking forward to seeing you, Saspirilla (and her other half) and Aydin. I'm disappointed that Hosk and Yax won't be there. Is Alexander Ditto going to be present?
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Sep 2012, 19:43

Im very disappointed too, I was looking forward to sitting in lines looking at you while you and your wife played magic thinking "why does this guy look so familiar" until on the third day someone said "Hey dont you have a blue muppet?"

I was also looking forward to a few other things.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
magicpokey
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby magicpokey » 11 Sep 2012, 05:29

I Live not two hours from the con center but was (until recently) so poor I couldn't afford to go.

I came into some money recently and the first thing I did was buy a 3 day VIP pass! I will be there, possibly with a friend, also I know its short notice but I live 1.5 hours from the expo and will be driving each day, if anybody needs a place to crash I have a free futon (if you don't mind a 4 year old hanging around)

Also, are there any plans for a meetup yet?
I'm a bigger nerd than you. Not by way of intelligence, mind. But because I'm over six feet tall and more than 350 lbs.
tanatoes

Postby tanatoes » 11 Sep 2012, 16:51

Woohoo! I am on vacation now and can spend tomorro prepping for my Expo experience. Welcome to the party Magicpokey!
-------
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Sep 2012, 18:03

I'm not sure about any plans Pokey. Like I mentioned before, I don't know if we should set up times or something. But I guess it's up to Graham and/or/maybe Paul. Unless we just want together between us or something and anyone who wants to show up can. As for teaching sas, I'm willing to share as much as I can. Then I'll get distracted by a tourny and shuffle away groaning like a zombie due to tired.

Anyone who play Magic want to try doing a LRR draft?
tanatoes

Postby tanatoes » 11 Sep 2012, 19:46

My wife and I are planning to buy a couple boxes while at the expo - so that would be a "yes indeed" for a LRR draft. We're also bringing our fledgling Commander decks and a couple of not-too-great Standard decks - as well as the most recent VS decks (Izzet vs Golgari.) In short - we want to play a whole lot of casual Magic. We will probably do some sanctioned drafts as well - you know, for the planeswalker points, and because I'll be missing my weekly FNM drubbing.
-------
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Sep 2012, 19:55

It's really too bad RTR isn't going to be out by the Expo. :( Maybe someone should email Wizards and beg them to bring some cards to giveaway and be super-awesome.

As for draft, I just love draft. I don't get to do enough of it around here as I've mentioned elsewhere. So I'd like to do some Innistrad-block drafts the most, mostly because I have enough M13 to tide me over. Seriously, I do need to work on my Innistrad and Dark Ascension collections much more then M13. In fact, if someone wants a common or uncommon from M13, I could likely bring it. I'm not going to bring both boxes I have with me for obvious reasons though.

My standard decks are good (in my mind). And I 'built' a commander deck but haven't put it together yet. The problem being that A: I don't have enough sleeves for a commander deck, and B: It uses cards from my two main active decks as well as the Knights and Dragons Duel Decks I have.
Moshi
First Video: Unskipable - Assassin Creed: Brotherhood

Postby Moshi » 11 Sep 2012, 21:23

*pout* its closer to me then pax and do to life and money can't go.... hopefully you all will make it a BIG success and then they will do it again next year... anyone cutting through northern KY to get there will pass me while I'm being all responsable and helping out my family. lol Have fun guys ^_^
ImageImageImage
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Sep 2012, 09:15

Quick poll, should I try to make and bring some cookies? Just because I can of course.

Also, for a LRR draft, it'll likely need to be between 5-5:30 and 8, given then on Friday and Saturday that appears to be the time between panels and the main event for the day. Or on Friday night we could stay up very late to do it. Sleep is for the weak anyways. :P
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 12 Sep 2012, 10:03

cookies would be awesome. I am going to be there but gas is going to kill most of my spending money so I don't think I can draft unless somebody wants to sponsor me (you give me packs to draft with and you keep cards/picks/prizes)

I will, however be bringing my standard decks, my four Commander decks and my trade binder, so I'm totally down for some casual magic with fellow LRR-ites and maybe Graham and Paul!

I'm down for any time though I don't want to miss movie night with moviebob. I may just wind up bringing a change of clothes and sleeping in my van friday night anyway, so a late night draft is cool with me.

I'm really looking forward to this!
I'm a bigger nerd than you. Not by way of intelligence, mind. But because I'm over six feet tall and more than 350 lbs.
tanatoes

Postby tanatoes » 12 Sep 2012, 10:09

Yeay cookies! And pokey you can totally draft with us. A meet-up between 5 and 8 Friday or Saturday sounds good. I, too, do not want to miss the movie night (Flash Gordon is one of my favorite cheesy movies ever!)

I can't believe it's almost Expo time. Packing tonight for an early plane flight tomorrow. If anybody wants to hang out tomorrow night drop me a line through twitter. (@tanatoes of course.)
-------
Psycho
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Psycho » 12 Sep 2012, 10:46

Another Raleigh native willing to draft/other casual mtg.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Sep 2012, 11:31

Seems legit.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Sep 2012, 13:16

I don't want to miss Moviebob or the concert. Both sound awesome. Also, I made cookies. The second batch didn't turn out amazing, but overall they're pretty good I think. I made I wanna say about 45-50 cookies, but I'm leaving some for family. So I need to be choose about who gets some. :P

I'll try to contact you through twitter sometime tomorrow tanatores. I just need to get twitter on my phone first.
Psycho

Postby Psycho » 12 Sep 2012, 14:27

Sorry all...I didn't mean to stall out the conversation or sound so robotic... So lets try this again.

I would enjoy playing some casual magic with fellow LRR fans during some down time during the expo. Right now I only have a few (decent, I hope) standard decks, and I think I could pull together a playable commander deck if that seems to be everyone's game of choice (one of the perks of living so close to the expo).
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Sep 2012, 14:50

Sorry, I was making fun of your username/avatar.

Now promise you wont run around nude with a chainsaw!
Psycho

Postby Psycho » 12 Sep 2012, 14:56

Can't make any guarantees. Who knows what the quality of business cards will be at the expo.
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 12 Sep 2012, 15:46

If you cant throw together a commander deck and people want to play commander, I have FOUR of them that we can use

Karn, Silver Golem - Using a completely colorless manabase and a bunch of arcbound creatures with things like pentavus and wacky stuff like gauntlets of chaos and teferis puzzle box, my karn deck is crazy in big multiplayer games. (I'm playing this one)

Scion of The Ur-Dragon - A Five color monstrocity that has a lot of fixing and ramp to put the scion into play and then abuse his ability by turning him into things like Bogarden Hellkite or Nicol Bolas or niv-Mizzet for a turn, with added bonus of howling mine shenanigans!

Mikeus The lunarch - Mono White Weenie, writ VERY large this deck is about getting out a bunch of tokens and using Mikeus to make them bigger, pretty straightforward. Featuring crazy changeling interactions!

GrimGrin, Corpse Born - Black and Blue, thats the colors of this deck and the colors you will leave your opponents with your zombie and wizard onslaught, containing the complete empires set and a phyrexian arena!

Jhoria of the Ghitu - Red and Blue (Izzet the best color combination? I'm not sure?) with a bunch of big spells and creatures that abuse the suspend mechanic like no other, this crazy deck plays like Dr Who and Dr Evil had a bastard offspring! (only if I can find the right cards for it, id say its a 65% chance of bringing this one)

Ok, Im done with the sales pitch, I just always wanted to do announcer voice for my commander decks and never found the chance before.

edit: you can all feel free to contact me by twitter as well if you need/want anything, it's magicpokey there as well as here.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Sep 2012, 16:05

I want to get my commander deck set up before the expo, but it seems like it'd be too big of a pain due reasons mentioned before I believe (lack of sleeves, having to take apart other decks to get to it, etc). So I likely just won't get to play commander.
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 12 Sep 2012, 19:13

Kapol wrote:I want to get my commander deck set up before the expo, but it seems like it'd be too big of a pain due reasons mentioned before I believe (lack of sleeves, having to take apart other decks to get to it, etc). So I likely just won't get to play commander.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I have four, possibly five commander decks that I am willing to let someone use. No worries if you don't have a deck, I got you covered, bro!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Sep 2012, 19:15

I don't care much to use other peoples' decks though. I understood what you meant. It's more that I'd prefer to, if possible, use my own deck even if it will fail.
Psycho

Postby Psycho » 12 Sep 2012, 19:35

magicpokey wrote:If you cant throw together a commander deck and people want to play commander, I have FOUR of them that we can use

I might have to take you up on that, at least til I can get back to my cards. I have played some multiplayer just with the decks my friends and I have, but not the commander ruleset and I have no idea where to start.

Return to “General Discussion”