The Escapist expo.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
magicpokey
First Video: Paper Boy

Re: The Escapist expo.

Postby magicpokey » 13 Sep 2012, 04:27

@Psycho

commander is easy, it has three rules and a couple of quirks.

1: Start with a Legendary Creature

2: Build a 99 card deck using only cards with the creatures colors, no off color ANYTHING, so no off color activations or whatever.

3: A Commander deck can only have a single copy of any one card (unlike other formats where you are limited to four of any one card) Excluding basic lands.

Other than that its regular magic, there are some weird things, like you start at 40 life and need 20 poison to die, and you set aside your legendary 'commander' so you can cast it whenever you have the mana, but it's really just magic focused on playing underused/interesting cards and having fun.

That being said, Psycho, you can borrow any of my decks if you want, that's why I built them! There are only three or four serious commander players at my LGS (Local Game Shop) so we all have extra decks in case someone is interested in learning a new format.
I'm a bigger nerd than you. Not by way of intelligence, mind. But because I'm over six feet tall and more than 350 lbs.
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 13 Sep 2012, 06:27

Also, how do you guys want to meet up for drafting and whatnot? I'll be at most of the panels wearing my DB5 Shirt and carrying a blue backpack.
I'm a bigger nerd than you. Not by way of intelligence, mind. But because I'm over six feet tall and more than 350 lbs.
Aydin225
First Video: arms race

Postby Aydin225 » 13 Sep 2012, 08:37

my wife has become addicted to zombie dice, so our plan is to get to the Meet LRR panel early and wait in line playing all the zombie dice. I would imagine we'll meet most LRR forum goers in line for the same panel
Psycho
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Psycho » 13 Sep 2012, 09:03

@Magicpokey

After doing some thinking/looking, I am in the same boat as Kapol. I would need to cannibalize at least one of my standard decks to build the commander deck I want.
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 14 Sep 2012, 13:54

Psycho posting via proxy here.

Is drafting and/or other magic fun still going on tonight?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Sep 2012, 19:47

Needs moar cookies.
sasparilla
First Video: The Job

Postby sasparilla » 15 Sep 2012, 08:56

I'm here! Also just realized I have no idea how to meet up with any of you :P. Plan fail.

I'm @sarahmendiola on twitter, hit me up if you're in the building! I gotta learn Magic!!

Or... you know... I guess I could just go over to the "Learn to play Magic" booth.... ;)
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 15 Sep 2012, 09:58

Wish I could have gone this sounds like fun but I'm broke, anyone tape the panel at least?
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 15 Sep 2012, 17:07

Most of the big panels were filmed, including Graham leading Paul, Moviebob, Jim Sterling, Cory Rydell, Gavin Dunne, and the guy from No Right Answer in the Gangam Style Dance while Yahtzee watched in awe! (at the big Q&A, it was hilarious!) I don't think the LRR panel was filmed, tho...

I am happy to report that Graham and Paul are as awesome in real life as they are on the Internet! Also that Psycho, Kapol, Tanatoes and his wife are awesome people as well! This has been a blast so far!

We will have to hook up on Sunday, Sasparilla, I'd be happy to teach you if you haven't learned by then.
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 15 Sep 2012, 21:17

Chalk me among the list of people who are too far away without the funds/time to do it. No offense, escapist doods, but there are other cons I'd like to go to first, like PAX or Comicon or something.
Foxmar

Postby Foxmar » 15 Sep 2012, 21:21

For me its not that the Escapist expo is that far I just have NO money to spare going to it. Id really like to go to one of these one year I've never been to any of these things.

Found this online from the expo already Graham and Paul dancing gangnam.
Escapist panel Gangnam Style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKY3ZHJnAQU

Another vid someone uploaded again with Graham dancing arround 1:40 and then later in the video as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1YsH6R7RXg
Last edited by Foxmar on 16 Sep 2012, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
sasparilla

Postby sasparilla » 16 Sep 2012, 08:19

Foxmar wrote:Wish I could have gone this sounds like fun but I'm broke, anyone tape the panel at least?

I filmed it, as did staff from the Escapist. They probably have the better feed.
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 16 Sep 2012, 18:02

I just want to say this weekend was awesome! I want to give a BIG Shoutout and thank you to Psycho, Kapol, Sasparilla, Tanatoes and his wife who are genuinely awesome people who made a lonely, nervous guy they had never met feel welcome!

Also a huge thank you to Graham and Paul for being as awesome in person as you are on the intertubes! Graham spanked me in Magic (Commander) and I had never been so excited to lose before. Also he signed my Armageddon Clock (Which makes Doom Counters! Doooooooom!) All in all this weekend was a blast and I cant wait for the next expo anywhere near me!

PS> tanatoes, PM me with your info so we can settle up tuesday, and thanks again!
Aydin225

Postby Aydin225 » 16 Sep 2012, 19:06

My wife and I arrived late, so we had to rush into the LRR panel and failed at meeting up with you all, but we had an absolute blast. My wife is still grinning everytime she looks at her signed Pulse Tracker card.

I had a super weird moment in the bathroom (best sentence to start a story ever). This is the first time I have ever had the opportunity to meet anyone with any level of fame, and so it was super trippy just being in the same room with guys I watch every week on the internet.

After the LRR panel, I walked into the bathroom and saw Paul standing in line to use the facilities like a normal dude, and literally had to stop myself from yelling "what are you doing in here?"
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 16 Sep 2012, 20:25

The whole panel should be online relatively soon. The E recorded the whole thing, for that purpose.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 16 Sep 2012, 20:41

Aydin225 wrote:After the LRR panel, I walked into the bathroom and saw Paul standing in line to use the facilities like a normal dude, and literally had to stop myself from yelling "what are you doing in here?"

This just in! Starling new evidence that leads credence to the once discredited hypothesis that even Canadian internet comedy superstars have to poop sometimes.

(No but seriously it's very disorienting to see someone you're used to only seeing on the internet walking around in person, doing normal person things. It's very odd.)

(But it's always good to remember that they're real people, just like you and I! Albeit funnier and better looking [ :wink: ], but still people. Sometimes people forget that!)

Graham wrote:The whole panel should be online relatively soon. The E recorded the whole thing, for that purpose.

Hooray!
sasparilla

Postby sasparilla » 16 Sep 2012, 21:26

AlexanderDitto wrote:This just in! Starling new evidence that leads credence to the once discredited hypothesis that even Canadian internet comedy superstars have to poop sometimes.

I totally read that in the standard 1930's radio announcer voice :)
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 17 Sep 2012, 04:32

^^^^. Oh good! I wasn't the only one!
Aydin225

Postby Aydin225 » 17 Sep 2012, 07:44

so i'm sure there hasn't been much discussion yet, but do you guys know anything about how the escapist views the expo? Successful or not, etc. I really hope it was a big enough success to return to the same area next year
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 17 Sep 2012, 09:30

(this is all just overheard in the hallway so don't think its confirmed or anything) I heard there were 7,000 attendees

And when Susan Arendt was asked about next year she said "I cant confirm anything, but it looks good"
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 17 Sep 2012, 14:17

The panel that's up on Escapist is actually pretty good.
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Foxmar

Postby Foxmar » 17 Sep 2012, 14:22

Im watching that one now, it is good.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 Sep 2012, 17:07

watching? Link?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Foxmar

Postby Foxmar » 17 Sep 2012, 17:20

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 17 Sep 2012, 18:26

It was a lot of fun seeing everyone I could. It's sad that I couldn't say goodbye to some, like Tanatoes and his wife who were super-cool and helped me relax a bit more and feel more comfortable with the whole thing. Seriously, you two really did help me out a lot. Thanks for being so cool. :) Got to speak with Paul a little and got to talk to Graham as well as a group of people till about 4 in the morning. Maybe not the best idea, but still awesome.

Return to “General Discussion”