The Escapist expo.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Re: The Escapist expo.

Postby Foxmar » 18 Sep 2012, 11:37

If you haven't watched the panels that E has put up yet you really should, there very good.

My Favorite Game (Graham)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... orite-Game

Q&A With the Escapists (First of two I think)(Graham & Paul)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... -Escapists

Hour of Love (No one from LRR but still funny)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ur-of-Love

Fanboyism (Paul)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... -Fanboyism
Last edited by Foxmar on 18 Sep 2012, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 18 Sep 2012, 11:48

I'm curious how Graham and Paul felt about the size of the Q&A panel. Did you guys find it a bit crowded or what?
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Sep 2012, 13:48

Actually, it was awesome. Totally different for us because everyone had different opinions.

Usually, on an LRR panel, we're all fairly in line on a lot of things.
Foxmar

Postby Foxmar » 18 Sep 2012, 14:06

Graham how do you feel the Escapist Expo was overall and how does it compare to other conventions you have been at?
magicpokey
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby magicpokey » 18 Sep 2012, 16:25

I just want to reiterate how awesome everybody was this weekend.

Tanatoes (& Wife) - For being really nice and helping several of us loners feel welcome and among friends. You guys rock!

Psycho - For hanging out with me pretty much all weekend even when I'm sure he had better things to do. And for being awesome.

Kapol - For bringing cookies and for hanging out with us! and for making your tag easy to recognize! Also, for being awesome!

Sasparilla - We didn't get to hang out much but I'm glad I met you and that you learned to play magic (thanks Tanatoes!).

Graham and Paul - For being generally awesome guys and super nice to boot! (and for signing everything we shoved in front of them like trained monkeys!)

I finally got some pics off of my phone, and I've got to share the highlight of the weekend for me:

I have never been so happy to lose at magic!
I'm a bigger nerd than you. Not by way of intelligence, mind. But because I'm over six feet tall and more than 350 lbs.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Sep 2012, 16:33

I kept looking at this picture thinking, something is wrong with the image, but I cant place it.

Then it hit me and I fixed it.

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Foxmar

Postby Foxmar » 18 Sep 2012, 16:34

Wish I could have been there, I have like 10 decks and no one to play with :(
MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 18 Sep 2012, 17:12

Lord Hosk wrote:I kept looking at this picture thinking, something is wrong with the image, but I cant place it.

Then it hit me and I fixed it.

I knew something was off about it.

Also, I just meant physically, I've never seen a panel with so many people on it. But now that you mention it, it was pretty good to see a diversity of people talking about the same topic.

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 18 Sep 2012, 17:15

This is going to make me look like an idiot, but whats the joke? I don't get the weird thing on Mrs. Tanatoes head.

Can someone explain it to me?
I'm a bigger nerd than you. Not by way of intelligence, mind. But because I'm over six feet tall and more than 350 lbs.
MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 18 Sep 2012, 17:55

Assuming Hosk and I are on the same page it's a hat she crafted (pretty sure she made it) for Feed Dump. She wore it for most of the PAXEast 2012 weekend (where most means the times I saw her).

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 18 Sep 2012, 17:58

Apparently, Miss Tanatoes made a hat that was a Hanar from the Mass Effect series. She ended up giving it to Graham for Feed Dump and to auction off on Desert Bus if I remember correctly.

Also, I do regret not having been able to say goodbye to most of the people I hung out with. I went to the Escapist Podcat Live! (and I got to ask a question, so that was fun) therefore missed out on the chance to play more Magic. That does remind me of one of the most awesome things I did though. I beat Jon Finkle 2-0 in Magic. Granted he was using someone else's deck and the second game he just drew into flat-out bad cards and had to mulligan twice, but still.
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 18 Sep 2012, 18:49

Ohhhh... Hat! Got it!

Also: Awesome, Kapol! You sat down with one of the best and you won! Great job, I wish I had seen that game! Any time you are in eastern NC and want someone to play magic with, I'm your man!

(This goes for everyone else, as well!)
concupiscentcrustacean
First Video: black box

Postby concupiscentcrustacean » 19 Sep 2012, 08:04

Foxmar wrote:If you haven't watched the panels that E has put up yet you really should, there very good.

Q&A With the Escapists (First of two I think)(Graham & Paul)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... -Escapists

Graham's Snagglepuss?
"I studied the ancient art of Origami gun making, and i've folded a pistol out of purest prose. This is an Origami 45. The most powerful poetry in the world."
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Sep 2012, 13:31

Skamakazi wrote:Assuming Hosk and I are on the same page it's a hat she crafted (pretty sure she made it) for Feed Dump. She wore it for most of the PAXEast 2012 weekend (where most means the times I saw her).

(nodnod) Its quality made an impression.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 19 Sep 2012, 16:33

Big fan of Jim's fanboyism analogy.

So for those who went how was the panel diversity?

magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 19 Sep 2012, 17:46

Depends on what you mean by diversity. The panels were pretty much dominated by White Males, but then so is pretty much everything on the escapist (no value judgments, just stating demographics).

If you mean Diversity of opinion: then what I saw was pretty spread across the spectrum. To cite two examples: Yahtzee is well known for his bais against jrpg's while graham is fond of a lot of them. Moviebob is an unapologetic Nintendo fanboy while a lot of panelists disagree with Nintendo's current direction. There weren't any real arguments or flame wars, or anything, but the differences in opinion were very interesting. Especially in the Hour of Love.
MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 19 Sep 2012, 18:06

Probably should have given some background, I like going to cons for panels. Was there enough different types of panels to entertain someone for a three day weekend?

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 19 Sep 2012, 18:10

I thought there were quite a few interesting panels and only had one time I can remember where I didn't go to any. But at the same time there were only about 4 or 5 panels a day. Which lead to this somewhat odd 'dead time' between the panels and the big event for the night.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 19 Sep 2012, 22:29

There we other, less homogenous, panels featuring some of the Escapist writers (of both genders), or Dr. Mark, that were not all 20s males.

But yeah, I guess that's sort of how the content creators for The E shake out, huh?
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 20 Sep 2012, 13:01

I have to say watching all of these panels was awesome. I definitely have a lot more content to add to my list of updates. It was especially Refreshing to hear from the not 20 something nerds. It's nice to have that prospective. The Q&A was really great.
^( " )^
winner!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 20 Sep 2012, 13:18

I didn't get to see any of Dr. Mark's panels, but he was kind enough to send me his notes of Magic as Therapy. It was really interesting to read through them. I need to watch the video now that it's up too.

Now I'm planning on going to PAX East. Need to figure out how things work with that. Exciting.
Foxmar

Postby Foxmar » 20 Sep 2012, 13:22

Im loving the the Escapist recorded everything, the panels are great and alot of fun to watch I wish more conventions would do this. Maybe next year I'll get to go to something.
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 20 Sep 2012, 13:31

Cool guy that Dr Mark Kline. I will have to start reading his column.

Old school nerds are so cool.
^( " )^
winner!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Sep 2012, 13:34

I was a little disappointed that the Magic as therapy panel was audio only since he was referring to his slides quite often. but I am glad that it went up because I thought it was a interesting listen.

[–]Graham_LRR
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 20 Sep 2012, 13:49

Hey which series did Paul kill a colossus is? Cause I'd take Paul along in the apocalypse.
^( " )^
winner!

Return to “General Discussion”