Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
JayBlanc
Posts: 806
Joined: 18 Dec 2011, 13:54
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby JayBlanc » 23 Jun 2012, 03:25

Warning... This whole thread is going to be both full of Spoilers, but also Comparative Film Critique and Debate. You probably don't want to read it, and it's only here because I owe Alex a fuller discussion from a twitter conversation...

A huge amount of the critique of Prometheus has been that sure, it's a 'fun' movie, and the visuals are great, and the world it builds is engaging, and yeah David is an epic character we'd love to see again... But it's a failure because the story is kind of sucky, and a lot of the characters are shallow and don't have good motivations.

To that, I raise the comparison against Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Because that has a kind of sucky story too.

No, put down that pitch fork and hear me out.

It's a great movie. It's fun. The visuals are great. The world it builds is engaging. And Han Solo is an epic character we loved seeing again... But the story is kind of lame, and a lot of the characters are shallow and don't have good motivations.

The plot is basically "Space Battle. Comedy Robots. Hey, Luke. Sorry your uncle and aunt are dead, time to be a Jedi. Scary Darth is Scary. String of coincidences put Male Lead in the right place to rescue Female Lead. Pathos! Luke gets to fly space ships now. Side character bitches, appears to leave, but turns out to be a good sort in the end. Luke destroys Death Star by hoping for the best." The plot is basically a string of set-peices that put the characters in the right places for a heroic rescue and a big space battle that ends with a giant explosion. We're not talking intricate question posing layered story telling here.

And the characterisation? Well, Luke's character path is "I want to be a rebel and fly space ships. Oh, all my family are dead now. Oh, mentor too as well, saved the princess at least. Hey, now I get to be a rebel and fly space ships. Also magic powers." He's pretty much a male Mary Sue.

Leia isn't much better and doesn't quite escape the attitudes about female leads (lose 10 pounds for the role) and is a very passive hostage for much of the movie, and basically vanishes into the background during the third act till it's time to give out the medals.

Obi Wan is, well Generic Mystical Mentor. Sure a *cool* Generic Mystical Mentor, but still a Generic Mystical Mentor.

Darth is the scary huge bad-guy who just looks cool, we don't know a thing about his motivations and he's barely a character at all. He could indeed have been an emotionless robot. The actual lead bad guy in this was supposed to be Moff Tarkin. You do remember him? Played by Peter Cushing, the only A-List Actor other than Alec Guinness in the film?

And then of course Han Solo, who does actually get some character development, if a bit hackney'd, but still gets a path of redemption and more characterisation than any of the other characters. (And of course diminished when Han doesn't shot first... But that's a different rant...)

Now, I bet you're all eager to type out about how much more there is to these characters... And there is. But that all came in the next movie, "The Empire Strikes Back", where we actually got character development and discovered some motivations.

And again, "A New Hope" is still a great movie despite it's flaws. But the original Star Wars is a whole more on the same level as Prometheus, and the most of the same attacks against it can be levelled against Star Wars. I think the difference eventually comes down to two things, first all the actors in Star Wars were giving it their A game performances despite being in some piddly Skiffy flick from an unknown director/writer, and second it had a lot more awesome explosions in space.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 23 Jun 2012, 05:42

Isn't Star Wars basically Lord of the Rings in the future and Prometheus a Scientologist exploration?

I'm sure they're very different despite space being involved a lot.
User avatar
empath
Posts: 13530
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:20
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: back in the arse end of nowhere

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby empath » 23 Jun 2012, 06:03

Merry - it's not that the storylines are at all similar, Jay's point is that from a general quality of writing the two films can be categorized together.

They don't even fit within the same theme or atmosphere (while SW:ANH would be a great 'yay bang zoom' movie to take kids to, I wouldn't do that with 'Alien Zero' ;) )

But yeah, they're both kinda weak on the story. And because "anecdotal evidence is the BEST evidence": ;)

Orson Scott Card had gone to see A New Hope with some friends and had a fun time until, as they left, a friend asked "Don't you wish YOU had written that?" and he felt like he'd been slapped in the face.

Written science-fiction had grown FAR beyond the trope-heavy genre of "Space Opera" (hi -that was zyxst glomping on me and seizing control of the keyboard for a moment ^_^)

And let's be honest - George really hit ALL the cliches with ANH, didn't he?

So yeah, when you sit right down and be honest, Star Wars 'Ep. IV' is a really weak movie, story-wise.

Doesn't mean it's not fun. :)

And while I haven't yet seen Prometheus, I've garnered enough information from even spoiler-free reviews to conclude that this film has much of what you say in common with 'Space Opera exemplar'. I think the best summary of the suggestions I've gotten would be:

"Fun movie; the writing's kinda faff, and most of the characters are pretty flat, but it's worth seeing even if just for the visuals and cinematography."

Sound familiar?
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
Posts: 8913
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 22:53
First Video: Door to Door
Location: In England.

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby Lord Chrusher » 23 Jun 2012, 06:43

No, Star Wars is Wagner in space. Admitted Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings are both high fantasy and Tolkin did drawn on the same Germanic mythology that Wagner did.

Star Wars does have a simple plot and a lack of characterisation. However it is a much more coherent film than Prometheus which felt like two or three films sandwiched together.
Image
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Image
User avatar
Digital Dolphin
Posts: 1509
Joined: 03 Dec 2008, 03:49
First Video: Canada Man
Location: Vancouver BC Canada

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby Digital Dolphin » 24 Jun 2012, 07:00

I actually found Prometheus to be a fairly deep and well written and VERY well acted movie. I don't quite understand people's issues with it. Certainly it was better written than Star Wars: ANH, although it doesn't leave you feeling as happy in the end :P

Personally, I'm looking forward to the expanded universe they're planning, and resolution to some of the unanswered questions. Everyone's looking forward to the big reveal on Oct 11 2012 right? :D
Image
#TeamKroze
User avatar
Rikadyn
Posts: 1228
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 11:49
First Video: the pub
Location: K-zoo Michigan

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby Rikadyn » 24 Jun 2012, 08:46

Actually, they are all linked, if you believe Joseph Campbell's monomyth idea:

From Wiki:
A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man.
Image


Mind you, I think Campbell is full of shit 99% of the time, but Lucas specifically thanked him for Star Wars.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
User avatar
JayBlanc
Posts: 806
Joined: 18 Dec 2011, 13:54
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby JayBlanc » 24 Jun 2012, 09:18

The Hero's Journey is Campbell's observation about the majority of narratives. Not reason to follow a formula when writing. Not that it's really a perfect observation either...
User avatar
Alex Steacy
Posts: 2264
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 22:35
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.
Location: In transit
Contact:

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby Alex Steacy » 28 Jun 2012, 08:47

I had been meaning to weigh in on this thread for a long time, but I've been sidetracked by various things.

The short version of my opinion is that the only comparison to be made between Star Wars IV and Prometheus is that they both are sci-fi movies. I feel that while Star Wars might have its faults, it is a well made and indesputably influential movie, whereas Prometheus is a poorly written and executed special effects demo reel.

Star Wars sports a cast of characters that may not be totally original, but they are most definitely sympathetic and interesting. Their roles and motivations are clear and are all extremely memorable. They can all be described accurately without making reference to what they look like, too, which was an observation made about why Episode 1 was a strictly worse movie than episode 4. You have the rebel princess trying to save her people from the evil empire, the evil overlord imbued with arcane power, the naive bumpkin yearning for a new life, an old and wise sage, two comic relief characters, a dashing rogue and his brutish sidekick. Anyone who has seen the film knows exactly what characters I just described, which is a hallmark of good characterization. And characters don't necessarily have to be original to be good, either. Theres a difference between "generic" and "classic".

Prometheus carries very few such characters. With the exception of David, who I legitimately liked apart from his unclear motivation, the rest of the cast are empty, forgettable planks that often are only there to parrot some line that is meant to help the supposed plot trundle forward. The characters act in ways that are convenient to the plot development, not in ways that actual people would act, which makes their actions contrived and unbelievable. For me, prometheus disintegrated very quickly after the preamble.

The story was set on a reasonably interesting tangent: aliens created life on earth, and scientists had discovered a map to their probable wherabouts, with intent to find and ideally communicate with them. Sounds fine! That is a perfectly servicable starting point. However, the moment the "characters" were thawed out you began to encounter trouble. If Weyland had indeed sunk a Trillion dollars into this, his most vital mission, why did he or his representatives hire the most unprofessional team available? Did he leave instructions to only bring along argumentative, snyde and just plain skittish researchers on a mission so vital that not one element could be left up to chance? Not believable. And besides, who would go on a deep space expedition without being briefed BEFORE going? Answer? No one. The disposable chumps on the research team were there for the sole reason of being chumps that argue, get lost, and then get killed by alien stuff.

This leads me to the next few segments that had me slapping my forehead. When the Prometheus lands, the captain cautions the scientists that night is falling and that they should wait for morning. Of course, being the unprofessional moron that he is, Logan (had to look up his name, I unsurprisingly forgot him) decides that he wants to go check out all the cool alien stuff RIGHT NOW. You know, like an actual researcher would do, kicking down the door to King Tutankhamen's tomb to stomp around inside and try on the hats. Again, this is a form of what is called 'plot manipulation', which is anytime a character acts in a way that is convenient for the story, but not a way that a genuine person would act. This decision to rush in artificially imposes a time limit on the mission for no reason other than to fraudulently increase the tension. There is no reason whatsoever that the team could not have arrived earlier in the day and said "okay we've got plenty of time but lets go and be careful". And be careful they most certainly did not.

5 minutes into their expedition they detect clean air, and decide to remove their helmets. This was the single action that snapped my suspension of disbelief for me. I could barely believe that they were this dumb before, but this was just too much. It was so wholly contrived for them to expose themselves to any atmosphere of this never before explored temple on a never before explored planet in a never before explored galaxy. No human being, much less a *scientist* would ever have any reason for this kind of risky behavior ever, ever ever. And I actually know why they did it. I firmly believe the reason the characters removed their helmets was so that the actors could give a better performance without a reflective sheet of glass in front of them. But that detail should not be relevant to the actual characters in the story. It would be like putting floodlights on a somber theatre performance so you can see the actors better. Once again, plot manipulation. You'll notice nobody took off their helmets in Alien, and that movie is hands down one of the best sci-fi horror films ever made.

From there, the film just slowly crumbled for me, with the plank-like characters outdoing each other in feats of idiocy and unprofessionalism. The scowling scotsman and his hipster buddy run off and get lost, despite it being established in the FIRST SCENE of that sequence that the scotsman MADE THE MAP. Later, they decide to take refuge in the death room they were so afraid of in the first place, and when they encounter an alien snake attempt to befriend it. Apparently, a live alien life form is much less terrifying than a dead humanoid. I could literally not help but hear a laugh track in my head as this helmetless chump walked over and played cootchie-coo with this never before discovered albino snake monster that emerges from a sea of tar. It was just. Not. Believable.

Anyway, I could continue to present instances of characters in this movie acting without rime or reason and being genuinely surprised when their ill-advised actions result in their death, but suffice to say it happens a LOT in the movie. Here's a brief list in no real order.
- David spiking Logan's coffee with black goo just to see what happens instead of taking the material back to earth for extensive testing under controlled conditions.
- Experimenting on the alien head without having it under containment the whole time. This is just like putting on a condom at the end after you've been barebacking all night.
- Weyland putting on a robo suit to go in person to demand a never before discovered alien man to grant him immortality on the spot.
- Opening the entire bay doors on one of the zombie crewmen, who is a zombie for no real reason other than to be scary and kill some nameless crew.
- The captain and his best mates becoming totally convinced they should sacrifice themselves because Elizabeth says they should with a single line of dialogue.

And I want to emphasize that this isn't just simple nitpicking, these are yawning fissures in the story that wreak devastating damage on the film's cohesion and credibility. If your main structure is solid as a rock, a few consmetic details don't matter as much. But when you build on quicksand, no amount of special effects tinsel or A-list actors will keep you from sinking like a stone.

One last thing, the film asks a lot of interesting questions of itself and life, but it leaves them unanswered not in a way that leaves you pondering, but in a way that makes you think the filmmakers didn't actually know either. Posing philisophical questions without giving you something to chew on is just plain wank if you ask me. If you took the movie "Good Burger" and had the characters ask questions like "Who is god?" and "What are we?" it would still be a piece of shit movie. It would just be a piece of shit movie pretending to be deep.

I hope you find this interesting, even if I didn't go into exhaustive detail over Star Wars. I kind of feel that if you wanted a description of why its a good movie you could find someone explaining it far more eloquently than I could.
Image
User avatar
aeric90
Posts: 2866
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 06:09
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby aeric90 » 28 Jun 2012, 09:16

The point where I snapped out of my suspension of disbelief and couldn't recover was when 2 archaeologists walk right past a wall of carved characters, that seem to indicate a direct link between the alien language and early cuneiform and it doesn't even give them pause. They don't even ask David to translate them. All the stupid decisions up till that point I chalked up to excitement but I just could not look past this and that made every other stupid decision from that point forward just so much more face slapping.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
User avatar
JayBlanc
Posts: 806
Joined: 18 Dec 2011, 13:54
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby JayBlanc » 28 Jun 2012, 09:25

It's probably not made totally explicit as it should be, and some of this comes from the Viral campaign outside the movie... But Charlie Holloway (Logan is the Actor's name) and Elizabeth Shaw are not actually professional archaeologists but basically kooks who stumbled onto a big thing and went begging for money to go look at it. Part of the viral campaign is a begging for money video from Shaw where it's clearly established she's not very professional. (Making an appear that couldn't even get money from Kickstarter!) And everyone else had no idea what they were going to do, and the general assumption as stated by one of them was teraforming assessment. And Wayland is a few weeks from death, and probably bugnuts crazy and giving David orders via a dream reading machine.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about a film that pretty much requires outside knowledge from the advertising campaign for the film for parts of it to make more sense. Where the film fails is in not making it clear on those parts, and the sloppy characterisation of minor characters. If I were script editing this, I'd have revised it quite a bit to make sure everyone understands that these people are on a private mission, scraped together with the funds Wayland appropriated from his company for a private enterprise looking for beings he thinks will make him immortal.

But yes, I do agree it's not as good a movie as Star Wars was, but it's not as bad in comparison as some say. Also, complaints about legitimacy of archaeological practice tempt me to being Indiana Jones into this too!
User avatar
aeric90
Posts: 2866
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 06:09
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby aeric90 » 28 Jun 2012, 09:29

JayBlanc wrote:But Charlie Holloway (Logan is the Actor's name) and Elizabeth Shaw are not actually professional archaeologists but basically kooks who stumbled onto a big thing and went begging for money to go look at it.


That does not help with the plausibility of the central premise at all. In fact, that raises even more questions about how they could have possibly funded their expeditions in the first place.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
User avatar
JayBlanc
Posts: 806
Joined: 18 Dec 2011, 13:54
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby JayBlanc » 28 Jun 2012, 09:36

aeric90 wrote:That does not help with the plausibility of the central premise at all. In fact, that raises even more questions about how they could have possibly funded their expeditions in the first place.


Rich philanthropist father.
User avatar
Digital Dolphin
Posts: 1509
Joined: 03 Dec 2008, 03:49
First Video: Canada Man
Location: Vancouver BC Canada

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby Digital Dolphin » 28 Jun 2012, 09:45

For the record, with the exception of David's promotional video, I didn't see any of the viral campaign for Prometheus, and I still figured out all the character issues pretty easily.

I didn't find any of the character behavior to be out of place either. All the tools to figure out who was there, why they were there, and why the person in charge chose them, were all pretty clear. The missions was doomed from day 1, the only question was what was going to screw it up first.

The only thing I have a difficulty with is the ease of which the captain's men sacrificed their lives, considering it was next to pointless. I guess they figured that they were dead regardless, so they "went down with the ship". I feel this was the weakest moment of the movie, personally.
Image
#TeamKroze
User avatar
Alex Steacy
Posts: 2264
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 22:35
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.
Location: In transit
Contact:

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby Alex Steacy » 28 Jun 2012, 09:49

JayBlanc wrote:It's probably not made totally explicit as it should be, and some of this comes from the Viral campaign outside the movie... But Charlie Holloway (Logan is the Actor's name) and Elizabeth Shaw are not actually professional archaeologists but basically kooks who stumbled onto a big thing and went begging for money to go look at it. Part of the viral campaign is a begging for money video from Shaw where it's clearly established she's not very professional. (Making an appear that couldn't even get money from Kickstarter!) And everyone else had no idea what they were going to do, and the general assumption as stated by one of them was teraforming assessment. And Wayland is a few weeks from death, and probably bugnuts crazy and giving David orders via a dream reading machine.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about a film that pretty much requires outside knowledge from the advertising campaign for the film for parts of it to make more sense. Where the film fails is in not making it clear on those parts, and the sloppy characterisation of minor characters. If I were script editing this, I'd have revised it quite a bit to make sure everyone understands that these people are on a private mission, scraped together with the funds Wayland appropriated from his company for a private enterprise looking for beings he thinks will make him immortal.

But yes, I do agree it's not as good a movie as Star Wars was, but it's not as bad in comparison as some say. Also, complaints about legitimacy of archaeological practice tempt me to being Indiana Jones into this too!



A motion picture has to stand on its own merit without support from external pieces of storytelling that the audience may or may not have seen.

Even if Shaw and Holloway were just kooks that made a big score, do you think that they wouldn't be flanked by REAL scientists that would keep these idiots in check and make them keep their damn helmets on? Its still contrived.

"Crazy" is not a useable character motivation. Even a lunatic in a movie has to have some sort of internal logic, flawed or otherwise. If the character doesn't function on some sort of clear motivation, then they may as well just spout gibberish and flail uselessly in a corner.

Even if the characters are on a private mission, "scraped together" by someone established as one of the richest men on earth, it still doesn't excuse their totally vapid behavior.
Image
User avatar
Alex Steacy
Posts: 2264
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 22:35
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.
Location: In transit
Contact:

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby Alex Steacy » 28 Jun 2012, 09:54

Digital Dolphin wrote:I didn't find any of the character behavior to be out of place either.


So you thought that taking off their helmets was a perfectly reasonable thing to do? And that shaking hands with an alien cobra was a good idea?
Image
User avatar
Jillers
Posts: 3006
Joined: 14 Oct 2008, 19:26
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate
Location: Somewhere on top of garbage
Contact:

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby Jillers » 28 Jun 2012, 10:01

Dear Alex.
Thank you so much.

I saw Prometheus last week and I'm still mildly angry about it. It looks good, and (and I can't believe no one's mentioned this as far as I've seen) the sound design is fantastic. It's a great world, but the script is just garbage.

I ask you - what was the point of Charlize Theron's character? Why was she there? I don't mean what reason did the script give her for being there, but in the story itself what was her purpose?

1.) To give Idris Elba a reason to not be in the cockpit when the Scot and the universe's dumbest biologist get killed

2.) To burn what's-his-face.

For #1, he could have gone and taken a piss. Or fallen asleep. Or literally anything else.
For #2, it was completely unnecessary. Sure, you can justify it by saying she's a stone cold ruthless bitch, but whyyyyyyyyyyyy.

If anyone was shocked that she was Weylen's daughter, then you are idiots, I'm sorry, because a child could have called that from the beginning. And even if it DID shock you, what was the point of her being his daughter? What does this revelation change about the character or story? Nothing.

The where are we froms and where are we goings, pseudo-deep questions would have worked better with a different movie, or a more competent script. Adding in those questions doesn't make something deeper, or mean more, it makes the script clunky and unbalanced.

For me, watching it, having these questions asked at me by this movie, I wasn't engaged with them at all. I had the bigger question of "What is this philosophical/religious question doing here? You weren't invited!"

Star Wars, by contrast, didn't overtly ask these questions by shoving them in your face during the second half of the movie. I can't even be sure it asked you questions like that. It was a Space Opera, operating on popular archetypal characters. Prometheus operates on tropes. Star Wars is a hero's journey. Prometheus is not.

You know what I kept on thinking watching Prometheus and being forced to ask and think about David's' soul? I kept thinking "Mass Effect did this better."
Humanity's place in the galaxy? Mass Effect did that better too.

My point is the script didn't know what Prometheus should have been.

Also!
Why, in the future, does the super advanced, expensive automated operating machine stitch Shaw up with regular type staples? We have dissolving stitches NOW. Was it just so she could be in pain in the last act of the movie? Why? To give added tension? A tacked on sense of tension at that.

I wish I had been able to turn my brain off, but I couldn't. Usually I can, but it just takes itself way too seriously.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]


~End Transmission~
User avatar
aeric90
Posts: 2866
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 06:09
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby aeric90 » 28 Jun 2012, 10:03

Alex Steacy wrote:
Digital Dolphin wrote:I didn't find any of the character behavior to be out of place either.


So you thought that taking off their helmets was a perfectly reasonable thing to do? And that shaking hands with an alien cobra was a good idea?


Two reasonably intelligent women running straight ahead when you should be running sideways?
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
User avatar
aeric90
Posts: 2866
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 06:09
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby aeric90 » 28 Jun 2012, 10:07

Jillers wrote:I ask you - what was the point of Charlize Theron's character?


I believe that she was actually an android. An upgrade over David's model and much closer to the androids we saw in Alien(s) and capable of passing as a very quirky human.

There's supposed to be a thematic link between David, Vickers, and Weyland set against the Humans vs the Engineers. Unfortunately that possibly fascinating subplot got lost.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
User avatar
JayBlanc
Posts: 806
Joined: 18 Dec 2011, 13:54
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby JayBlanc » 28 Jun 2012, 10:09

Alex Steacy wrote:A motion picture has to stand on its own merit without support from external pieces of storytelling that the audience may or may not have seen.

Even if Shaw and Holloway were just kooks that made a big score, do you think that they wouldn't be flanked by REAL scientists that would keep these idiots in check and make them keep their damn helmets on? Its still contrived.


Hence if I were editing the script, I'd add in strong implications that Wayland had embezzled funds and redirected a craft from it's proper use, and was otherwise running things on a shoestring with a crew patched together from what he could get.

"Crazy" is not a useable character motivation. Even a lunatic in a movie has to have some sort of internal logic, flawed or otherwise. If the character doesn't function on some sort of clear motivation, then they may as well just spout gibberish and flail uselessly in a corner.


Wayland's motivation is explicit. He wants to continue living. He thinks the engineers created mankind. He assumes they have a way to live forever, or at least extend life. He thinks they will recognise his greatness and give it to him. It's crazy, and stupid, and doomed to fail... But it's there.
User avatar
JayBlanc
Posts: 806
Joined: 18 Dec 2011, 13:54
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby JayBlanc » 28 Jun 2012, 10:12

aeric90 wrote:
Jillers wrote:I ask you - what was the point of Charlize Theron's character?


I believe that she was actually an android. An upgrade over David's model and much closer to the androids we saw in Alien(s) and capable of passing as a very quirky human.

There's supposed to be a thematic link between David, Vickers, and Weyland set against the Humans vs the Engineers. Unfortunately that possibly fascinating subplot got lost.


If I had to say what the problem with the script is, is that it's only half there. There's things that just trail off. Perhaps the original script had all these things, and they got cut. Maybe there's stuff that was actually filmed, that would have made sense, but was trimmed down because no one wants to sit though a four hour movie and they made bad choices about what to keep, and didn't want to budget for massive reshoots so that it'd all make sense.
User avatar
Brad
Posts: 1563
Joined: 06 Mar 2006, 17:32
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk
Location: Temporal Vortex
Contact:

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby Brad » 28 Jun 2012, 10:16

Laser swords, telekinesis and starfighter battles. Hands down.

What I'm saying in philo-talk (which is not philosophical talk, it is talk covered in delicious thin-crust pastry) is that Star Wars spent the time to establish a mythology by *showing* it to the audience rather than in a giant exposition dump, and while George Lucas is just as prone to random bullshit script decisions, there he had advisors reigning him in.

Ridley Scott turned out a movie that looked like the script writers had played that game where you write a story for five minutes and pass it to the next person, who can only read your last sentence. That's probably not far from the truth, after the bullshit 4 or 5 script rewrites and abandoned concepts he had in Robin Hood.

Also - am I wrong about this, or did the punk "geologist" start out on the mission holding a flame thrower and explaining that his *job* was to ensure the scientists were all safe? I'm pretty damned sure that was him. And then was he the zombie for no reason later?
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
Image
User avatar
plummeting_sloth
Posts: 3180
Joined: 05 Dec 2011, 09:47
First Video: three PS3s
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby plummeting_sloth » 28 Jun 2012, 10:20

Just cause it seems to pick up on a lot of Alex's observations, have you guys seen the Red Letter Media take on Prometheus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

Also, in terms of writing, while I think the writing was better in terms of complexity and depth, I think that Star Wars IV was written in such a way that one event leading to the other made a heck of a lot more sense.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
User avatar
JayBlanc
Posts: 806
Joined: 18 Dec 2011, 13:54
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby JayBlanc » 28 Jun 2012, 10:57

I still stand by my initial review. Not a great movie, stupid script and bad characterisation of the secondary characters, but still worth seeing for the cinematography and Fasbender's role as David.

Everyone who's seen it has managed to get something out of it, even if that something is ranting about how bad a movie it is. Possibly the movie's crime is being half dumb spectacle, and half epic prognosticator, and missing both targets.
User avatar
plummeting_sloth
Posts: 3180
Joined: 05 Dec 2011, 09:47
First Video: three PS3s
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby plummeting_sloth » 28 Jun 2012, 11:05

To be fair... the full review they gave pretty much said the same. I just liked the format of 4 minutes of non-stop questions.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
User avatar
JayBlanc
Posts: 806
Joined: 18 Dec 2011, 13:54
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: Star Wars vs Prometheus. (This whole thread - SPOILERS)

Postby JayBlanc » 28 Jun 2012, 11:47

Perhaps there was some paper collating error, and half the pages from a Teens in a Remote Cabin slasher movie got mixed in with the rest of the Prometheus script...

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests