Ouya - The Indie Gamer's Console

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Ouya - The Indie Gamer's Console

Postby Digital Dolphin » 12 Jul 2012, 16:02

If you haven't heard about the Ouya yet, you probably haven't been on the internet in the last 3 days. Stop reading this, and go catch up on everything you've missed. It's ok, I'll wait.

In short, Ouya is a brand new gaming console for a new era. It caters to indie devs, only costs $100, uses standardized hardware, runs android, and is hacker friendly. It's currently being funded through kickstarter, and is to date the fastest funded project ever, even moving quicker than the legendary doublefine. You can see the kickstarter page here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

So is anyone else as excited for this machine as I am? :D

I'm friends with some indie game devs here in Vancouver, and they are super stoked that something aimed at them is finally being delivered. And with the >$4 million that has been funded so far, by over 33,000 backers, you can be sure it's going to have the support it needs from the get-go.

I'm thinking about ordering 3 or 4 of them to use at an Indie Gaming Expo I'll be helping run sometime next year.

So what does everyone else think?
#TeamKroze
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: Ouya - The Indie Gamer's Console

Postby Jamfalcon » 12 Jul 2012, 16:08

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not putting any money towards it at this point, but I'll certainly be following it's development to see how it all works out. I'm unsure of how the whole "every game will be free in some way" aspect will work out. Either it'll be all micro-transactions like Kathleen predicted in Checkpoint, or there'll just be a lot of demos, which is always a good thing.

Honestly the most exciting prospect for me is that it'd be an easy and convenient way to watch Desert Bus on a TV, since it has built in support for Twitch. I'm also interested to see what modders can do with it, and that's probably where the most potential is in my mind.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 12 Jul 2012, 16:09

I've got my kickstarter order in a while back so I'm happy. Worst case scenario a cool hack comes along to save it.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 12 Jul 2012, 16:15

Jamfalcon wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not putting any money towards it at this point, but I'll certainly be following it's development to see how it all works out.

This is about where I am as well. I'm tempted to 'pre-order' it. Though one thing that REALLY bugs me is the fact that peoples' tags will be inscribed on all of the first-run copies of the system (which I'm guessing will be all of the ones ordered through kickstarted and likely a good deal more). I just don't like the idea of having other peoples' stuff on my system withut my permission, and it admittedly helps keep me from biting the bullet and ordering it.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Jul 2012, 16:42

Conversely, if they market this correctly, it could be 'the casual gamers' console'. And I mean that in a good way.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Jul 2012, 18:10

I already have a Wii, 360, PC, Android Tablet, and now Android phone. I don't think I'll be getting this. I hope they do well though, and I'm with Met that it would be well positioned to be a "casual" console, competing against the Wii more than anything else.
If one of my friends get one, I may play around with it, maybe create a small app or two, but I don't see myself doing much with one. Though if it has decent hardware, put a full linux install on there...might make a neat little test box for some of my stuff. Not neat enough for me to kick any money at it, though.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Digital Dolphin

Postby Digital Dolphin » 12 Jul 2012, 23:51

I'm thinking about getting some for the upcoming Indie Gaming Expo that I'll be helping organize in Vancouver next year. I figure that just makes sense. Probably won't order them until they go on official pre-order though.
#TeamKroze
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 18 Jul 2012, 12:50

Oh good, "The Phantom" console is finally going to see release. And powered by Android, no less. Fantastic. No way this is going to blow up horribly in there faces as casual gamers try to figure out why the games they bought; which were designed for a phone-sized screen, look like crap on their 40" HDTV.

I'll stick with my XBox and PC.
-Wraith
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Jul 2012, 13:11

My biggest concern is that with the tiny install base this thing will have, and the fact that they are so heavily marketing it as a hackable box (read: piracy) this will actually scare away most developers.

Also, it's clear that they have no idea what they are doing from a business perspective. From interviews, their PR people can't answer basic questions, and they... didn't lie exactly, but were very misleading about having Minecraft on the Ouya when Mojang had said nothing.
Digital Dolphin

Postby Digital Dolphin » 18 Jul 2012, 14:58

Graham wrote:My biggest concern is that with the tiny install base this thing will have, and the fact that they are so heavily marketing it as a hackable box (read: piracy) this will actually scare away most developers.

Also, it's clear that they have no idea what they are doing from a business perspective. From interviews, their PR people can't answer basic questions, and they... didn't lie exactly, but were very misleading about having Minecraft on the Ouya when Mojang had said nothing.

The one thing I'm not sure about is if the console will have access to all the android play games, out of the box, or whether that will take a hack.

As for the install base, I think it won't take too long to have more gaming customers than Blackberry currently has, and for some reason developers still see that as a viable market...

I'm curious what questions their PR people are having problems with though?
#TeamKroze
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Jul 2012, 15:30

They can't answer what the controller will look like, name any games, name any developers, how this will be affected by market fragmentation...

Also, other stuff that I probably shouldn't say since I overheard an interview being conducted with them. It just sounds like they haven't addressed a whole mess of issues.

Beyond that, I just don't know why someone would develop for this, over other options.
If you already make android games, you've got to port it to a new version, and one that uses a controller instead of touch controls.
If you don't develop for Android, there's so few customers here.

Really though, to your point, Blackberry has a HUGE install base. Maybe they aren't a gaming market (or a market at all now, BURN!), but it's valid to market to millions of users.
The Ouya has under 40,000 backers right now, and that will increase certainly, but will it increase enough? I don't think so.

I just don't see the benefit to developers, taking the time to develop or port for this.
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Postby Dibria » 21 Jul 2012, 10:17

If nothing else it will likely gain support from the MAME community, an easily hackable device with that much grunt at that price point pretty much guarantees that. I can see it being used for emulation, a free if more questionably legal alternative to the Wii virtual console and allowing access to many games not released through that avenue. A lot of people will likely responds with '$99 to play games like Final Fantasy VI, Super Metroid, Golden Axe, [insert however many more classics you can think of here]? I'm sold!' - of course this relies on someone making emulators but being android most of the existing ones should work, some will likely already support the controller, bluetooth controllers for phone games are already around after all.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 21 Jul 2012, 11:38

~Alja~
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 21 Jul 2012, 11:48

Maybe an updated version of 1337 is in order? Those pics reminded me of third verse. You know the bit:

The Saturn and the Jaguar, the 32X
The Virtual Boy and Wonder Swan were put to the test
In no time flat they jumped the shark
These were the ideas that missed the mark

I'm sure we can fir Ouya in there somewhere :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
MrParivir
First Video: Who watches movies?

Postby MrParivir » 21 Jul 2012, 12:43

But I liked the Saturn, hell I still HAVE my Saturn. :)
But anyway this is kind of interesting I guess.
I mean at the least it's a cheap way to play those android games for those with no interest in a smartphone.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Jul 2012, 13:37

MrParivir wrote:But anyway this is kind of interesting I guess.
I mean at the least it's a cheap way to play those android games for those with no interest in a smartphone.

:|

Um, BlueStacks?
MrParivir

Postby MrParivir » 21 Jul 2012, 14:03

empath wrote:
MrParivir wrote:But anyway this is kind of interesting I guess.

:|

Um, BlueStacks?

Hmm? BlueStacks? Can't say I've heard of that. Is that an Android emulator of some sort?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Jul 2012, 14:19

TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
MrParivir

Postby MrParivir » 21 Jul 2012, 14:36

Master Gunner wrote:http://bluestacks.com/

Hey that looks pretty cool I'll have to check that out.

Also now I really can't see much point to the Ouya, it's cheap for a console I suppose?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 22 Jul 2012, 20:46

Thanks, Gunner - I thought I'd made a linky in my post...guess I was planning to but forgot. :P
Digital Dolphin

Postby Digital Dolphin » 31 Jul 2012, 08:42

I have to say I'm pretty surprised by this news... I knew that indie devs were going nuts, but I didn't think SQUAREENIX would get on board :shock:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/278237

It's a long way from developing a new game for the platform, but releasing FFIII for the console officially is a strong first step.

Will other major developers come on board also now?
#TeamKroze
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 31 Jul 2012, 09:59

Wraith wrote:Oh good, "The Phantom" console is finally going to see release.

Graham wrote:They can't answer what the controller will look like, name any games, name any developers, how this will be affected by market fragmentation...

You know, I thought I was kidding.

Seriously, though; does anyone remember The Phantom? Because this is starting to sound increasingly familiar...
-Wraith
Digital Dolphin

Postby Digital Dolphin » 31 Jul 2012, 11:13

#TeamKroze
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 31 Jul 2012, 11:35

That... looks like asking for trouble in IP infringements from both Microsoft and Sony.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 31 Jul 2012, 21:44

That controller looks like one of the sex toys in the sex toy ad that keeps popping up to the side of the LRR forums for me. Which begs the question why I'm getting sex toy ads popping up...
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.

Return to “General Discussion”