Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Mister Fiend » 30 Jul 2012, 15:45

No matter how much I drink and bleed I still hate myself.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 30 Jul 2012, 16:09

I hate you, too, Fiend. <3
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 30 Jul 2012, 18:36

Arggg... I just found out how much I owe in loans right now. A little under $15,000. What's worse is that, if I take all the classes I need and can take this semester, I'll have to pay a little under $5,000, bringing me up to $19,000-20,000 in one semester.

The worst part? I'm willing to bet a good $1,200 of this semester's price is from lab fees alone. This is utter BS to be completely honest. We don't get any special use of systems, two pairs of the classes are just one class split into two classes which continue halfway through the semester so they can squeeze more money from students, and every class is required for the degree I'm going for that'll actually be useful (An Associates's in Networking).

Fuck you college.
beramode0
First Video: Questionably Legal Man

Postby beramode0 » 30 Jul 2012, 19:58

AUUUUUGH the 1 second in Women's fecing lasted forever!!!!! why!!!! The German player took like three steps!! That's easily 2 seconds right there!!!
Twitter Steam Facebook
Add as a friend/Follow at your own risk.
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 30 Jul 2012, 20:10

Gah. So my mother is insisting she is going to find me a girl so that I can make her some grandkids. Can't tell if she is joking or not, but she says she isn't. She is pretty crazy about kids.
WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK?!

Thanks for reminding me that I'm alone and making me feel as though I'm too hopeless to find my own relationship and for totally ignoring the fact that I don't want kids. Made my day!
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 30 Jul 2012, 21:18

So that infection that never spread to my lungs? Has now spread to my lungs. Fucking titty sprinkles.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 30 Jul 2012, 23:48

Darkobra wrote:titty sprinkles
You seem to be taking that news quite well. Optimism is half the cure, you know.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 30 Jul 2012, 23:53

Yeah, I remember that in the medical journals. "Cure to common flu: Fucking smile!"
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 31 Jul 2012, 00:12

For the flu you also need a motivational poster featuring a kitten hanging perilously from a tree branch. Did you even take high-school biology?
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 31 Jul 2012, 00:17

Yeah but I was too busy drawing moustaches and shades on the penises.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 31 Jul 2012, 02:59

Kapol wrote:Arggg... I just found out how much I owe in loans right now. A little under $15,000. What's worse is that, if I take all the classes I need and can take this semester, I'll have to pay a little under $5,000, bringing me up to $19,000-20,000 in one semester.

The worst part? I'm willing to bet a good $1,200 of this semester's price is from lab fees alone. This is utter BS to be completely honest. We don't get any special use of systems, two pairs of the classes are just one class split into two classes which continue halfway through the semester so they can squeeze more money from students, and every class is required for the degree I'm going for that'll actually be useful (An Associates's in Networking).

Fuck you college.

I have a £18,000 loan in a degree that's not actually gotten me any employment yet and I am down £300 from 'buying art materials and resources:selling product'.
empath

Postby empath » 31 Jul 2012, 03:04

It took me only $15,000 CAD to get my bookkeeping/computerized accounting credentials, but it's been maybe 15 years since I've done anything related to that, and I'm likely out of touch with said field so I'd need more current training/tuition.

...and yes, I'm still chipping away at that student debt. Zyxst has two associate degrees we's paying off, too...
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 31 Jul 2012, 06:40

So I'm stuck in Sydney for 3 weeks and now just 3 days before I go back do I pick up the flu that everyones been coughing about since I got here......
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 31 Jul 2012, 06:49

Been to Sydney; got the flu. Been there; done that.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 31 Jul 2012, 07:48

I have torn the meniscus in my left knee :(
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 31 Jul 2012, 08:07

Ohhhhhhh lame. Prognosis?
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 31 Jul 2012, 08:58

Dunno until my consultation and probably imaging after that. I can't imagine it's a severe tear since my ligaments are fine but we'll see. If it's minor the interwebs tell me 2 to 4 weeks.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 31 Jul 2012, 09:23

That awesome moment where your day just goes to shit.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
empath

Postby empath » 31 Jul 2012, 11:07

There's far too many new posts in this thread. :cry:

And while this (obviously) didn't happen to me, seeing it detailed what I loathe about collaborative office work:

Client: OMG!!! You told me you turned over this project in June! But I don't have it! We need to get moving on it! Where is it!

Me: On your FTP server.

Client:...

Me: In your folder.

Me: Where you told me to put it.

Me: Where I put it on June 15th.

Client: Why didn't you tell me?

Me: <Forwards email that announced a) that I was turning it over, b) what I was turning over, c) per her instructions, c) a month and a half ago, d) which she replied to that same day..>

Me: Did you just look for this now? After I asked you repeatedly about it and busted my ass to get it in on time?

Client: We really need to get this project moving!

Me: Yeah, you guys really do. Good thing I turned over the manuscript, art and photos for this 1000 page book to you on June 15th. You guys may want to get started.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 31 Jul 2012, 12:17

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I have a £18,000 loan in a degree that's not actually gotten me any employment yet and I am down £300 from 'buying art materials and resources:selling product'.

empath wrote:It took me only $15,000 CAD to get my bookkeeping/computerized accounting credentials, but it's been maybe 15 years since I've done anything related to that, and I'm likely out of touch with said field so I'd need more current training/tuition.

...and yes, I'm still chipping away at that student debt. Zyxst has two associate degrees we's paying off, too...

While it's nice in an odd way to know others are in the same boat, my main complaint was actually meant to be the pointless $1,200 in lab fees.

The debt that's already there isn't awful considering I've been going to school for three years now (paying some semesters off myself or with help from the family, but normally taking out loans), though I've been going roughly half time since the start of my second year. The $3,600 or so isn't god-awful for the semester either since it's actually 18 credit hours. Still expensive mind you. But not as bad as some other colleges which my friends attend.

But then they just add another $200 in 'lab fees' for each class even when said class is just a continuation of another. Even when we're not doing anything really special or unique with the systems given. The only one I can kind of understand is Ethical Hacking because we could potentially damage the machines. Even then I've never heard of it happening. I'm not afraid to say I think it's more likely a way for them to get more money and do some stupid stuff with it.

Like their current project, destroying half or so the dense tree-filled area around the campus because they're worried people will 'run out from the trees to attack people getting into their cars. Mind you the trees are a few hundred feet from even the furthest end of the parking lot. So the chances of that actually happening successfully are slim-to-none.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 31 Jul 2012, 12:39

Do your labs employ TAs?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 31 Jul 2012, 12:43

Nope. Of course, to be clear, what do you mean by TA? I'm assuming Teaching Assistant or something along those lines, but I'm not sure.

But as far as I know, there's no difference between the classes that have the fees and classes in other buildings that use the same types of machines (such as my 3-D design and animation classes).
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 31 Jul 2012, 12:55

So you just sit there and do self-directed work without assistance?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 31 Jul 2012, 13:06

Well, there isn't really any chance to use the computers and such that we normally use outside of the actual class itself (unless you're talking about the instructor during the class that is). They do have other computers mind you, but those normally don't have the neccessary programs and are opened to all students, not just those who pay the lab fees.

The only way we can use the computer labs outside of normal class hours from my previous experience is when the instructor sets up a time to have the class opened (with them there I believe) for students to come in and complete work, and that only happens if something happens where the teacher had to miss a day of class or something similar, which means we basically only use them outside of normal class time to make up for time we missed due to class being canceled or the majority of the class falling behind.

The only time I've run into that happening though wasn't even during a class that used the lab fees. Most of the time the computers we use aren't anything that special, and most of the programs and such we use are programs we can get at home for free or get with the book in some occassions. Most of the actual networking we do is done in Packet Tracer, so we don't even get our hands on real hardware. And all of the hacking we do are done via virtual machines which we're allowed to put on flash drives/externals to take home so there's not much risk to the primary computer.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 31 Jul 2012, 14:50

Makes me sad that dicks exist in real life as well as virtual life.
Makes me sad that barely anyone sees that essentially real life = virtual life.
Usually the people who disagree with me are dicks themselves.

Return to “General Discussion”