Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby the_lone_bard » 03 Aug 2012, 06:06

Orcs must die 2 has been freezing.

Decided to take apart my comp and clean it, maybe that'd fix it.

Try playing it after moving inch thick layers of dust from all my fans. And computer turns itself off. Le sigh. Back to the motherboard!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 03 Aug 2012, 10:07

I over heard the harrowing tale of what happened to one of the people who volunteer in Oxfam. She has Down Syndrome and the other day some (insert word Matt doesn't approve of) threw a lager can at her head. She was crying when she was repeating this.
She didn't specify if it was an unopened can or was an empty one, but going by the type of person who would do this and how she was crying, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an unopened heavy can of lager.

How dare some people treat other people like this.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 03 Aug 2012, 15:49

I was about to go to bed, then I read your post, and now I'm furious ...

I want to punch the asshole who did that so bad. In the very least yell at them.

WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO BE CRUEL?!
Hurp-De-Durp!
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 03 Aug 2012, 15:54

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:(insert word Matt doesn't approve of)
Matt proudly identifies as a watcher of a cartoon meant for little girls. What Matt does and does not approve of is clearly not relevant among adults. Just call the guy a [Nope -m].
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 03 Aug 2012, 15:55

I'm pretty sure he was going to say "retard". Now please go away.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 03 Aug 2012, 15:56

Hey otto: back the fuck off.

@fayili, it wasn't that. I have previously kindly asked him not to use a particularly harsh pejorative for women on this forum, and he has kindly complied.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 03 Aug 2012, 16:03

Hey Matt, since mods are unblockable, and thus everyone has to see your avatar, why don't you make it something less obnoxious?
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 03 Aug 2012, 16:06

-.-
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 03 Aug 2012, 16:16

You've been given a lot of chances here Otto, but I'd be upset with Matt if he didn't ban you now. You're not even being subtle.
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 03 Aug 2012, 22:31

Never ever rush anything because pre-pubescent gamers have a keyboard and an internet connection. YOU are the adults. YOU should know when your game is actually finished.

Now in your throes to try to appease the children, you have pissed off children and adult alike.

Dawnguard for PC doesn't work. For anyone. Approaching the very first quest causes a crash.

Might as well play the rest of the game while I wait for another fix. OH WAIT! 1.7 fucked up a lot too. NEW GAME!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Aug 2012, 04:33

What's the point of
Toxic Waste
candy?
When you first consume it's like you've been violently sick in your mouth whilst having horrible indigestion, and then when it passes you have a lack-lustre flavoured hard boiled sweet.

Sweets now-a-days feel like they've lost their, awesomeness.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 04 Aug 2012, 11:36

So, I'm a ring steward (basically an assistant) at various dog events (Obedience, Rally, Conformation, Agility,) and I really enjoy it. My own little sports prospect won't be ready to compete until at least April of next year, so I love getting out and still being involved in the sports I love. Normally, I really enjoy it, even when the judge I'm stewarding for is a bit of a pill.

But I don't think I've ever had a judge who went as fucking slow as this lady did today. I get it, she's about a hundred years old and can't move too fast or she'll break something, but how the fuck did we manage to get two hours behind schedule? Two hours! The whole fucking trial shouldn't have taken two hours, much less four! No, lady, you don't get a damn lunch break, you were supposed to be DONE before lunch!

On top of all that, I don't know if maybe the lady's mind is slipping or not, and I feel bad if it is, but I swear she must not have judged in years because I don't think she had a single clue what she was doing. When you have to keep asking your ring stewards about the rules because you don't know them yourself, seriously, it's time to retire.

Suffice it to say, something "suddenly came up" and I won't be available tomorrow. On the one hand, I feel bad for whoever gets dragged in to replace me, but on the other, if I went back tomorrow I was going to end up getting into a screaming match with this lady and she'd end up dropping dead of a stroke or something.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 04 Aug 2012, 12:17

Could you raise your concerns with the organisers?
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 04 Aug 2012, 13:23

Fixed my Dawnguard, rest of the game crashes.
Think I fixed rest of my game. Needs more thorough testing to see if Dawnguard is affected.

That's right. A musician did Bethesda's job. I got my Skyrim working... Again.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 04 Aug 2012, 13:50

The Jester wrote:Could you raise your concerns with the organizers?

Oh, they know. The Show Secretary was pretty livid when she stopped me to ask if we had finished for the day and I had to tell her that not only had we not even finished the second sport yet, the judge had decided to go on her own, unscheduled lunch break.

I don't expect she'll be invited back anytime soon, and I imagine she'll be going on everyone's blacklist as well.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 04 Aug 2012, 14:58

Oh good. Well, at least she won't be causing a recurring problem.
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 04 Aug 2012, 16:57

Darkobra wrote:Fixed my Dawnguard, rest of the game crashes.
Think I fixed rest of my game. Needs more thorough testing to see if Dawnguard is affected.

That's right. A musician did Bethesda's job. I got my Skyrim working... Again.

Hey Bethesda, there are these people called "QA testers" you might want to use them.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 04 Aug 2012, 17:15

Oh I have been consistently reporting bugs since day one. And I can only think of one that got fixed. And that's the cursor sensitivity being too low and the X and Y axis not synching. That was almost a year ago.

1.6 had a lot of bugs. I found the LOT within an hour. Involuntarily! I just wanted to play the damn game! Reported, nothing was done!

1.7. Didn't even get a CHANCE to test that. It was rushed out of beta in 3 days and Dawnguard was pushed out the door!

So not only did a script stop me starting the DLC, after I had to hunt for it because the marker was in the wrong place, then I had to deal with three crashes getting a certain character to a certain location, because I still give a shit not to spoil it for other people, I FINALLY got to my destination!

And then AT my destination I start a quest! "Yes, go talk to this man and tell him it's time! He'll know what you mean!" So I go out the door to the dining hall! EVERY SINGLE NPC IN EXISTENCE ATTACKS ME! Completely unprovoked! Think of the entire population of Whiterun swarming you in a tiny room!

They had over a month to test this when it was exclusive on XBox. What were they doing? Counting their pennies? "One boat! Two boats! Three boats and a small island!"
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 04 Aug 2012, 21:07

I facing the very real possibility of having to have someone forced into receiving psychiatric treatment before they become a danger to themselves and others.

I don't even feel like I do a great job making major life decisions for myself, I really don't want to be the one to have to make the call on a major life decision for someone else. Particularly when it is pretty likely to cause major chaos in the lives of the people around this person.

~Alja~
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 05 Aug 2012, 02:13

Alja, it's not a decision to be made lightly for sure. But it is also not a decision you could easily make on your own. Can you involve more of those people around the person? Making a decision as a group will make the "I did the right thing" feeling slightly easier to achieve.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 05 Aug 2012, 08:10

My neighbours across the street bought their daughter a condo in her uni town, and my dad told me not to expect the same. I would never expect the same, and him even feeling the need to say anything really hurt.

They've always called me spoiled even though I do my best not to expect anything from them. The things they do give me are nice and I'm appreciative every time, and yet I'm still "spoiled." It's like I can't alter my position no matter what I do. Various neighbours have bought their children horses, cars, and yes, condos. I expect none of these things. In fact, none of them have ever crossed my mind. I spend my days worrying about getting a job and chastising myself when I don't get calls back. I'm terrified I'm going to end up on the street. Why am I still "spoiled"?

The things that are mine in the house aren't "mine." My dad borrowed my toothpaste and I made a joke about him "stealing" it because no one asked me if he could use it. My mum said that it was her toothpaste to give since she bought it. I asked her if she would tell someone to whom she gave a gift that the item in question was still hers.

They're always going on about how it's "their money" not "my money" and I appreciate that. You don't have to keep telling me so. When I tell others how much money I have I don't add them in, unlike my roommates.

And I'm almost afraid to spend what little money does belong to me because it's all I really have. I cling to the things I truly own, the things not paid for by them - of which there are few. I'm poor, they aren't. I get it. You don't have to keep beating it into my skull.

And now they want me to spend my inheritance on going to grad school. If I do this, what will I live on when I'm done? I was going to use that for a down payment on living space or a car or something. It's all I have and they think I can just throw it at my education like that? Especially after they made it perfectly clear that this is, in fact, all I have?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Aug 2012, 10:40

I have different yet similar circumstances. Like you I'm unemployed and living at home and poor. So poor I am in my overdraft so technically I have less than no money. My income comes from Job Seeking benefit and anything I can generate from small business. I still have £1300 to generate to have money again, £300 in 10 days before I start generating interest in what I am short of, but back on topic.

I have no money. My family have low money as my mum has been ill of work and I don't think she'll ever go back due to not being well enough. My sister earns for herself and will move out soon. My dad is earning to support two people inclusion of himself. As a result I can't ask my parents for financial aid so I am not mentioning my position to them. My dad will retire soon with a modest pension.

My parents have a big garden and an allotment. My mum's view (which is fair) is that when I am at home when my sister and dad are at work, I should work around the house too. Keeping the house running, including helping in the garden and the allotment. For along time I had reluctantly been looking for work because I was worried that stuff that needed to be done, wouldn't be done due to have physically weak my parents are now in their ancient age. But I realise, I gain nothing from the allotment or garden. I am content with their existence, so why am I worrying about how they run? I should let my parents worry about the state of it and I get a job. Money I pay as rent for living at home can be spent by my parents to hire people to do jobs they can't do. My mum raged at me yesterday for forgetting to charge the hedge trimmer. Not my problem really the hedges.

But more on the theme which you were mentioning. My mummy is so very lovely and kind and caring and thinks it's a good idea if I have a holiday this year or learn to drive. Yes mummy, I would love to do that, but there's this small issue of finance.

So yeah, when I get a job, ironically I'll have more time to myself.

I wasn't spoiled as a child. I got noticeably less valued items for Birthdays and Christmas than friends and relatives. Anything big I got from negotiating with my parents and often involved giving up Birthday/Christmas money up in advanced. I was spoiled in the regards of Uni that they supported me financially which was bad really. It made it hard to gauge my spending habits accurately and means that I am very reluctant to state my financial state to them. They don't say their state to me so it's fair they don't know.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 05 Aug 2012, 13:50

Dear Wild Bills Old Fashioned Soda,

While I appreciate that you think I am taking photos of your public kiosk so I can "steal" your chain franchise idea of selling soda in a mug, I turned 10 a long time ago and have no plans on opening up a drink stand. I was really fond of the way you perked up from your nap behind the counter with such gusto to chastise me for my photo taking. It was adorably delightful for you to pass on such accusations that I might make such a career change, especially with how happy you look sitting there.

Love and kisses,
From someone who is not spending 15$ on a mug with your logo on it.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 05 Aug 2012, 15:56

Oh, summer guilt. It's a beautiful day outside, sunny and hot, blue sky with a few fluffy white clouds...and I'm sitting inside with all the curtains closed trying to pretend that 26.4 C is "cool". I'm built for Canadian winters! I *like* cooler weather! When it's this hot outside (currently over 30 C) I break a sweat just sitting quietly so forget walking around or going for a bike ride. I would also have to either wear more clothing (hot) or slather myself in sunscreen (sticky, and also hot) to avoid burning like a lobster on fire in the sun. Instead, I'm reduced to haunting shopping malls and coffee shops with A/C, not the most inspired summer activities. It also takes forever for my place to cool down at night so I'm not sleeping well either. So, we have the perfect summer weather for a long weekend and I feel like a whiny idiot.

Here's hoping that tomorrow's forecast for slightly cooler weather is right.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 05 Aug 2012, 18:15

I'm in the same position. This heat is ridiculous.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.

Return to “General Discussion”