Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby auberginequeen » 12 May 2013, 07:18

So... It's snowing.
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 12 May 2013, 09:00

So, I have an exam tomorrow that I still need to study for. I have a fever, I have a big headache,I have no energy and I've gotten two spontaneous nose bleeds today. feels fantastic!
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 12 May 2013, 09:53

Not poking the facebook crazy, not poking the facebook crazy...

GAAAH!
Fitness Program wrote:If you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it-Common sense

The things I didn't say in response:
Hooray! Thanks to a combination of reading skills + science, I can eat everything!
Just because something has an easily pronounceable name doesn't mean you should eat it either. Because you can probably say cocaine faster than you can say alpha-tocopherol or cyanocobalamin, but cocaine isn't in my multivitamin with a recommended daily dose.

Fuck you, you're supposed to be promoting healthy eating. Why do you hate science!?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 May 2013, 11:46

Gee, "lead" is SUPER easy to pronounce; I know what I'm having for dinner! :roll:

My Kinesiologist Ph.D. friend refers to these 'fitness experts' that zyxst encounters on her dieting boards & sites as "Bro-scientists". :P

...he suggests you take their 'advice' with a grain of salt (ba-dum-bum). ;)
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 12 May 2013, 12:02

So that means you can't eat italian, chinese, indian, japanese, any other cultural cuisine?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 12 May 2013, 12:13

Chemistring wrote:

Destroying Angel! Nightshade! Death Cap!

All words I can pronounce! And all completely natural... must be good, right?
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 12 May 2013, 12:14

On the bright side, now I have a "good" arguement for not feeding my kid chocolate.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 12 May 2013, 12:22

To be fair, the statement does NOT say if you CAN pronounce it, it is safe.
Mums

Postby Mums » 12 May 2013, 12:30

When would anyone want to be fair to that kind of people?

empath

Postby empath » 12 May 2013, 12:56

Bro-Science.com wrote:Only eat things that are 100% natural and organic!
(and YES, I'm taking this as a LITERAL quote that zyxst saved from one of these chuzzlewits from months back)

Arsenic is 100% natural and completely unprocessed; eat up, son! (please)
auberginequeen

Postby auberginequeen » 12 May 2013, 13:07

I guess some people should stop eating riboflavin then...

Or cholecalciferol, pyridoxine, or pantothenate.

More significantly, what's wrong with googling stuff? With the widespread use of smartphones and portable computers it isn't that hard to go "oh, contains sodium benzoate, which is apparently a preservative," even when out and about.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 12 May 2013, 13:19

empath wrote:Gee, "lead" is SUPER easy to pronounce; I know what I'm having for dinner! :roll:

My Kinesiologist Ph.D. friend refers to these 'fitness experts' that zyxst encounters on her dieting boards & sites as "Bro-scientists". :P

...he suggests you take their 'advice' with a grain of salt (ba-dum-bum). ;)

It's pronounced "leed", right? :wink:

The person running the program is a chiropractor, which was a huge red flag for me before I even signed up. I can understand that skeletal realignments can be useful, but I have yet to run into a chiro that was not neck deep and treading in pseudoscience, either because they seriously believe it or because it makes them fat cash. We had one chiro come into work to give a lunch seminar on stress reduction. He flat out said that stress = subluxations = death, so if you don't go to a chiropractor then you will get a horrible disease and die. Allegedly genetic conditions like Crohn's disease weren't actually genetic, they were the result of subluxations and could be cured by chiropractic adjustments...which went over really well with my co-worker who had spent well over a year in the hospital with multiple surgeries for her Crohn's. The person organizing this current fitness program is conveniently selling protein and greens powders, multivitamins, and is advocating ah herbal liver cleanse which they also sell. Isn't that handy?

What pisses me off is that, once again, it's scare tactics used to influence people who lack basic scientific literacy (and maybe basic phonics skills, and also critical thinking ability). If there was any attempt to educate instead of intimidate, I would be a much happier person. :x

ETA:
empath wrote:
Bro-Science.com wrote:Only eat things that are 100% natural and organic!

(and YES, I'm taking this as a LITERAL quote that zyxst saved from one of these chuzzlewits from months back)

Arsenic is 100% natural and completely unprocessed; eat up, son! (please)

So close...natural, but not organic. :P Death cap mushrooms, on the other hand...
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 12 May 2013, 13:31

auberginequeen wrote:More significantly, what's wrong with googling stuff? With the widespread use of smartphones and portable computers it isn't that hard to go "oh, contains sodium benzoate, which is apparently a preservative," even when out and about.

Apparently the ability to critically evaluate Google search results for useful and reliable data is a rare talent (and may be my superpower).
empath

Postby empath » 12 May 2013, 13:40

Yeah, 'critical thinking' is becoming more and more rare, sadly.

-----

I visit a chiropractor every few months to realign my pelvis, and mostly for the massage. :) The root of the problem IS legit...I have a nasty habit that I still can't break - I sit with one foot tucked under me, tilting things. :oops:

But yeah, whole lot of 'gateway' shit going down on the fringe there.

MY real issue with chiropractors is simply grammar (big surprise, eh?):

They throw an existing and perfectly serviceable system for deriving other words from the root:

I was told that the field these individuals study is called "chiropractic".

Nope, that's it. PERIOD. Not "chiropractic medicine" or heaven forbid "chiropractice" or "chiropracty" (which even Chrome's spell-checker accepts AS A REAL WORD)

No, they insist on taking what anyone with any fluency in the English language will instantly tell you is an ADJECTIVE, and insist on using it as a NOUN. :mad:

Sorry, you want me to accord you the same level of respect as an ophthalmologist, psychiatrist, dentist, veterinarian or even a nutritionist (which itself is teetering on the edge with all those kooks dragging on their pants-cuffs), you show some basic respect for the language you're trying to communicate in first. *stern-face*
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 12 May 2013, 14:05

Hrm. I was sure that my mother assured me at some point in the last year or two that she had $8k to give me for college. That it was an inheritance thing and she would definitely be contributing. Today on the phone she said she had never promised something like that. She did say she could cover my rent ($625/month) for the next school year, which is almost what I thought I was going to get (she'd already given me $850 earlier for my last payment this year when I was a bit short). It's just jarring, you know? I was counting on that. And she said I wasn't getting a dime of it until she saw I had gotten a job. I've been applying, and I can't get anything for this year now, but it's... rough. She's not mean or anything, and I appreciate the help a lot. Just... Guh, you know? And there's still $12.7k for tuition next year that I have to somehow cover.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 12 May 2013, 14:38

... welcome to the world of student loans. le sigh
auberginequeen

Postby auberginequeen » 12 May 2013, 17:43

These people should know better than to ask me to define things.

I have a tendency to be both broad (so that I am able to encompass all necessary cases) while also being weirdly specific.

I'd post one here but it'd probably be flagged for plagiarism when I submit the assignment. Point is, though, when defining the "history of psychology" (after having defined both "history" and "psychology," or at least trying to) I can't help but tack on that it's the people and places deemed to be important to the field by people who are qualified to make those sorts of decisions. Those kinds of people include psychologists, professors, psychiatrists, and therapists, not to mention textbook authors. They all have a say in whether, for example, B.F. Skinner is included or not. History is by no means objective.

These events and people have been carefully selected based on perceived relevance to the field by people who had the authority to make that decision, and I feel like it's important we don't forget that. Using Skinner again, he was omitted from or only briefly mentioned in many textbooks in the 20th century after behaviourism got a bad rap despite his contributions to the field. It's all politics.

... But I'm afraid I'm coming off as... pedantic if I say that. But I feel it has to be said. But I sound like a lawyer.

Sigh.
Warkipine
First Video: Unskippable-Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby Warkipine » 12 May 2013, 18:03

My left eyelid keeps twitching. It's Mildly AnnoyingTM

I also somehow suck at computers and can't get an avatar image down to under 6 KB. Am I destined to be faceless for eternity?

I could continue on about how I can't relate to anybody my age because they're stupid and always worrying about unimportant things, but I run the serious risk of being horribly hypocritical.
Excuse my Aspergers, I have quirkiness.

I have a set list of things I obsess over. A social life is not one if them.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 May 2013, 18:32

For the avatar, you just have to host it off-site (imgur, imageshack, or something). So long as it's under 100x100px, you should be fine.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 12 May 2013, 21:58

There are free image resizers out there that I use too.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 13 May 2013, 00:28

IIS 8? More like IIS HATE amirite?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 13 May 2013, 00:29

..there are servers out there not using an *AMP stack? Amazing.
Mums

Postby Mums » 13 May 2013, 02:53

So I had my exam today 3 hours of writing constant writing. I started the day alright with ibuprofen in my body I would be ok. About 1 hour and 45 minutes in I got a nosebleed that cost about 20-30 min to handle, then the ibuprofen stopped working so my temperature went up in the already very hot room, so when I was close to passing out I finished the question I was working on and handed it in, partly finished. Keep your fingers crossed for me to at least pass the exam.

Also, I study law, so I guess I'm in risk of also sounding like a lawyer...

Us people in law aren't nearly as bad as we are made out to be, I promise you.

Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 13 May 2013, 05:10

I was out with a few friends. They went up to the dance floor, I sat down to my own little table. Then these two girls sit next to me and both try to strike up a conversation with me.

So across from us is an Indian guy in a suit with no company. He's quite a happy guy! Enjoying the music, drinking light!

Then one of them says "Look at the state of that. That is just sad. What's he doing here anyway?"
"Right. That's it. You two, fuck off. Fucking terrible the way you spoke about that guy. He's a few steps away and probably heard you!"

So they do the shuffle of shame away from me and the guy sits next to me and says "Thank you. We need more people like you in the world." Then he hands me a drink and walks off again.

One of the many reasons I don't go out at night.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 13 May 2013, 06:17

Darkobra wrote:I was out with a few friends. They went up to the dance floor, I sat down to my own little table. Then these two girls sit next to me and both try to strike up a conversation with me.

So across from us is an Indian guy in a suit with no company. He's quite a happy guy! Enjoying the music, drinking light!

Then one of them says "Look at the state of that. That is just sad. What's he doing here anyway?"
"Right. That's it. You two, fuck off. Fucking terrible the way you spoke about that guy. He's a few steps away and probably heard you!"

So they do the shuffle of shame away from me and the guy sits next to me and says "Thank you. We need more people like you in the world." Then he hands me a drink and walks off again.

One of the many reasons I don't go out at night.

Wow, real good of you to stand up to someone like that. I come across people speaking bad about others all the time and never dare to say anything about it.
All the respects.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"

Return to “General Discussion”