Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 25 May 2013, 09:40

Metcarfre wrote:Now I want to know what's at notracistbutt.com.

...somebody register that domain name quickly, before rule 42 comes into force.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 25 May 2013, 13:42

Was going to create an account on wizards of the coast's site. Somehow I managed to enter that I was born 2013 so it wanted me to create a childrens account, which would need me to get my parents authentication on a paper that I have to fax there. Not an option. So I went back and reentered my age, correctly this time, but it seems WotC's site remembers my first input and won't let me change it. To change it, one would have to contact customer service, which one can't if one does not have an account, or call a number with an unspecified rate.
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 25 May 2013, 13:58

Try clearing your cookies or using a different browser, that might let you create a new one.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Mums

Postby Mums » 25 May 2013, 14:31

Tried clearing cookies no help. But I switched to my other computer and that fixed it, I thought it was IP based first. Before I realised another computer would help I stupidly out of tiredness activated a childrens account to get customer service, so I bound that mail and had to create a new account on a new mail. I seem to have confused myself...

Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 25 May 2013, 15:22

My inner geek here, but I hate when on TV they say that in Qudditch that catching the Golden Snitch automatically wins you the game, because it doesn't. You get 150 points which can give so many points that you good as win the game. Since you have to be at least 15 goals clear to assure a draw.

It irks me that a lot of the cast of the HP films, as well as the films themselves, seem to think this is the case. Even though in the Goblet of Fire and the Quidditch World Cup Ireland win the match even though Bulgaria catch the snitch. Did any of the cast actually read the book?

It's one reason I never really liked the films, as they didn't seem to stay true to the book most of the time.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 25 May 2013, 17:18

I always kinda wondered that. I only ever saw the movies (and only a few of them,) never read the books, and I remember thinking, "If they win by catching that thing, what the hell is the point of all the other points? To waste time?"
TheGhostOfZero
First Video: The Job

Postby TheGhostOfZero » 26 May 2013, 03:56

So apparently I can't sleep 'til midday on a weekend because I'm that damn tired, it has to be because I'm lazy and useless.
/fingergun
Zero

Geoff_B wrote:I wish to complain. That last picture is not Kittens, it's the son of Sauron!
Mister Fiend wrote:Does that mean I get to violence someone? Please say yes.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 26 May 2013, 11:44

I am not a slacker for not going into the sciences, I'm not limiting myself by trying to become a copyeditor, and if I tried to do more, I'd be going to grad school to become a librarian, which is 1) terrifying and 2) a terrible idea given the job market. What do you want from me?
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 26 May 2013, 13:23

I am getting very quickly sick of people thinking that copying a music CD doesn't steal from musicians. Especially when they've been hammered by my 13 years of music education, 3 of which included music law and contracts.

No evidence to back up their claims! Just parroting the same bullshit! Just because they haven't been caught doesn't mean they're not breaking any laws.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 26 May 2013, 18:14

Feeling lonely and small, but most of all I feel angry at myself for feeling lonely and small without any goddamn reason. Busing seriously Caroline, get a grip of yourself ...
Hurp-De-Durp!
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 27 May 2013, 06:10

Darkobra wrote:I am getting very quickly sick of people thinking that copying a music CD doesn't steal from musicians. Especially when they've been hammered by my 13 years of music education, 3 of which included music law and contracts.

No evidence to back up their claims! Just parroting the same bullshit! Just because they haven't been caught doesn't mean they're not breaking any laws.

...There are people who still use CDs? o.0
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 27 May 2013, 06:25

I buy CD's! They are for my car when I journey back home. (My car is from 2000)

Got a nice little collection.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 27 May 2013, 06:55

TorachiKatashi wrote:
Darkobra wrote:I am getting very quickly sick of people thinking that copying a music CD doesn't steal from musicians. Especially when they've been hammered by my 13 years of music education, 3 of which included music law and contracts.

...There are people who still use CDs? o.0

Fun fact: It's actually illegal to copy from your music CD to your computer, iPod, MP3 or whatever. It's copyright infringement and you don't have a license. But it's far, far too widespread for them to stop it so they don't invest the time or money to do so. But let's just say they wanted to punish you to the full extent of the law for illegally downloading music. That'd be amongst the list of things they'd get you for.

Also:
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 27 May 2013, 07:02

Aren't you at least allowed a back-up for archival purposes?
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 27 May 2013, 07:14

Nope! Not at all. If you lose it, you buy the CD again. You are not allowed to copy it. Period. No back-ups, not to your MP3 to listen to music you've already paid for legitimately, nothing. But like I said, it's too widespread to stop it and it's not in their best interests financially to try. So long as you legitimately buy the music, they'll look the other way.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 27 May 2013, 07:28

I think it's less "we don't think it's illegal," and more "we'll never get caught, so who gives a shit." For which I fall firmly into the latter category.

I'm fairly certainly I haven't "bought" music since the 90's.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 27 May 2013, 07:43

It's actually not illegal in all countries. In the Netherlands for instance there is a law that permits you to copy stuff at home for personal uses. This includes making back-up copies and copying to your hard disk for replaying.

This only goes for music though, as there are laws that restrict copying of software to just the amount of copies needed to actually use the software, no more.

And Darkobra: you are absolutely correct in stating that lots of people don't know much about this topic, and they should if they go around making claims about it.

I have my own personal beliefs about this but I'm pretty sure if I were to go into this it should not be in the Venting Thread.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 27 May 2013, 07:47

Fuck me; I'm a worthless scumbag.

Work has been consistently under-scheduling, so I'm CONSTANTLY getting called in to come in early or come in on my day off, and I've taken to just fucking not answering the phone when "SOBEYS" comes up on call display.

...well, today the landlord and wife are out opening up their cabin, and my brother is busy with another reno project (he's got some cabinet door drying in the workroom), so it's just zyxst and I. I'm at the computer, and she's just popped upstairs to make lunch (it's 1pm, I'm scheduled for 4pm).

And guess who calls. "fuck that; let it go to the answering machine"

...but zyxst picked up the phone upstairs. :shock:

Fuuuuu-

So, now caught (and my goddamn selfless nature can't say 'no' to these people who DO need my assistance), and I'm angry. I hear her walking towards the stairs, and just storm into the bedroom and grab a uniform and start getting dressed to go.

I took the phone from her hand spoke with them quickly, and yeah, I gotta be to work in about 50min.

But that's not the worst bit; she's looking sad and repentant for putting me on the spot...

...and I fixed her with a glare and said

"I wanted to spend more time with you, but if you don't want me around I'll go."

So now she's run off upstairs and is probably making herself sick with sobbing (seriously, she'll get to the point that she'll start choking from the crap running from her nose), and I feel like an utter heel because I can't do a fucking thing to make this better...

...like I should because I'm a cruel, senseless bastard, who has probably driven his wife into another self-destructive "I'm such a failure, I can't get a job, I can't do anything right, I wish I'd never met you so you wouldn't be burdened with broken, useless me" depression.

...and we'd had such a nice walk this morning, enjoying the outside and talking, and me being supportive with her stalling weightloss, and making her feel better...

fuck my worthless self.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 27 May 2013, 08:04

Drecon wrote:It's actually not illegal in all countries. In the Netherlands for instance there is a law that permits you to copy stuff at home for personal uses. This includes making back-up copies and copying to your hard disk for replaying.

I believe this is similar in Canada as well. I can't recall if the law was passed as it had been intended, but it was something to the effect that copying purchased music and media for personal archival use was permitted, as long as it didn't circumvent any DRM features/locks etc.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 27 May 2013, 08:17

Drecon wrote:And Darkobra: you are absolutely correct in stating that lots of people don't know much about this topic, and they should if they go around making claims about it.

I have my own personal beliefs about this but I'm pretty sure if I were to go into this it should not be in the Venting Thread.

It was more people saying that if they give their friend their music CD to copy and then get it back so BOTH people have the music but only ONE person bought the CD, that's perfectly acceptable and that doesn't take a sale away from the musician. It does! I'm not going to see the second sale's money!

Anyway, the long story short is, someone said that it's perfectly ok to steal music because it doesn't harm musicians and it should also be ok to buy gold from Chinese gold farmers because it doesn't steal from the game.

And of course, it quickly got into the armchair lawyers with little education comparing it to selling cars and so on. A bad comparison does not circumvent fact or legality!
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 27 May 2013, 11:25

empath wrote:Fuck me; I'm a worthless scumbag.

Work has been consistently under-scheduling, so I'm CONSTANTLY getting called in to come in early or come in on my day off, and I've taken to just fucking not answering the phone when "SOBEYS" comes up on call display.

...well, today the landlord and wife are out opening up their cabin, and my brother is busy with another reno project (he's got some cabinet door drying in the workroom), so it's just zyxst and I. I'm at the computer, and she's just popped upstairs to make lunch (it's 1pm, I'm scheduled for 4pm).

And guess who calls. "fuck that; let it go to the answering machine"

...but zyxst picked up the phone upstairs. :shock:

Fuuuuu-

So, now caught (and my goddamn selfless nature can't say 'no' to these people who DO need my assistance), and I'm angry. I hear her walking towards the stairs, and just storm into the bedroom and grab a uniform and start getting dressed to go.

I took the phone from her hand spoke with them quickly, and yeah, I gotta be to work in about 50min.

But that's not the worst bit; she's looking sad and repentant for putting me on the spot...

...and I fixed her with a glare and said

"I wanted to spend more time with you, but if you don't want me around I'll go."

So now she's run off upstairs and is probably making herself sick with sobbing (seriously, she'll get to the point that she'll start choking from the crap running from her nose), and I feel like an utter heel because I can't do a fucking thing to make this better...

...like I should because I'm a cruel, senseless bastard, who has probably driven his wife into another self-destructive "I'm such a failure, I can't get a job, I can't do anything right, I wish I'd never met you so you wouldn't be burdened with broken, useless me" depression.

...and we'd had such a nice walk this morning, enjoying the outside and talking, and me being supportive with her stalling weightloss, and making her feel better...

fuck my worthless self.

I don't know that I can offer much advice or support, but I can tell you that you are far from a worthless person, scumbag, bastard or any other variant of the concept. You're a nice person who said something he shouldn't have done; I don't think anyone hasn't done that a few times in their life. What's done is done- all you can do now is go back to being a good guy who tries to make the world around him better.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Mums

Postby Mums » 27 May 2013, 14:02

Empath. I don't know you but I recognize this so well and I feel for you, both of you. I was in your situation a lot about a year ago and it's so easy to say crap that you don't mean. It's so easy just to lash out with something stupid because you are stressed out and overworked. I hope the damage wasn't too big this time but you should know that from what you describe you aren't a bad person, you are a lovely person for feeling this bad about it. Make a pot of tea and watch a good movie together when you get the time!

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 May 2013, 15:10

Technically illegal downloads are cloning.
And a survey which was done found out that the highest pirated media was media which was impossible to get hold of.
Doesn't stop it being illegal. But it's something the music industry should think about before knee-jerking.

My vent is:
DWP Job Search is offline. I cannot use it.

It annoys me when authority can get away with failing. But the individuals cannot.

Examples:

Teachers/Lecturers/Tutors "can be" late.
Students can never be.

Fuck off hypocrisy
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 27 May 2013, 17:19

Firstly, to stay topical:

I'm totally with you on the double-standards, Merry! Indeed, that was the 'backbreaking straw' that set this whole mess off today: if *I* want to take a specific day off for a doctor's appointment, I have to give them three-weeks' notice...or I've got to wait until the impending schedule is out (which itself can be a source of frustration when THEY won't tell YOU when you're working next week...until FRIDAY :P) and then run around and try to get someone to trade shifts with you to clear up any conflict.

...but if *they* want you to work a different shift (come in early, come in on your day off), they'll often ask (yeah, they ASK and you DO have the option of saying 'no', but in my case I really feel like a heel saying no when they clearly need someone to come in :( ) they'll ask...oh, maybe an hour before they'd like you to start work. :evil:

Double-standards are BULLSHIT!

And secondly?

Thank you for all the support, folks - I'm grabbing a tissue right now. :)

I grovelled and apologized profusely after making this post, and by the time I left for work, we seemed 'okay'...I was a little worried if I'd punctured her good mood, and stewed about it at work.

Got home, and she was bright and cheerful and affectionate, so I think it's passed with no lasting damper on things. :D

...but FUCK ME, I felt that pain I'd caused her as if I'd done it to ME. God, I *never* want to make anyone feel like that again if I can help it!

The key thing is; I'm not a depressive sort of person - the closest I've been to that was the first few hours after going to work today...and that didn't last. I can get in a melancholy about my dire financial straits, or bleak career outlook, but I don't sink into the evil tendrils of that amorphous demon, Depression.

...the millstone around my neck is named "Rage". And that's what I'm always keeping a lid on; I'm angry. 24/7/365. As my funk went on, it got burned away by the creeping flames that are always hiding in some out-of-the way nook in my psyche and I started 'mentally beating myself up'. Fortunately that didn't last long (fire can be devastating, but it's impermanent) and I sort of evened out in a just sort of 'blah' mood.

But that's the burden I bear all the time; holding my tongue from saying the cruel thing. I have an 'Inner Asshole' (shaddap ;) ) who's constantly infuriated with something and constantly cajoling and berating me to let him 'drive for a while'.

...and every once in a blue moon, I slip up, and let him. :(

I'm sure you could peruse back through my post history and find instances of my letting my guard droop. (admittedly, most of the 'flare ups' you'll find are instances of me jumping to someone else's defense when they've been unfairly treated - that's my weak spot; if you want to get my goat, don't attack me...threaten my friends :?)

So yeah, that's another reason why I feel so much like a nice fresh 9D tacked on to a brogue...I screwed up and let IT get out for a moment, and it decides to lash at the one person I'd kill and die for; move heaven and earth to protect and keep happy.

Poop. :P

Again, thanks for all this; it means a lot (and probably 'mentally strengthens the bindings' I've got on this sucker. :)

Just remember: "Everything man-made breaks...including promises."
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 27 May 2013, 20:40

Just feeling a bit pissed off today. In general. With me and others. Lots of niggly little problems today.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.

Return to “General Discussion”