Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Bebop Man » 13 Nov 2013, 16:46

I know in the context of the Internet Opinions week this may sound like the kind of air-headed criticism a selfie may draw. I vent, people point, lol and go "deal with it". Look, I don't give a fuck that Miley Cyrus did this or Kanye West did that. I'm talking about principles, dude. THE CHINAMAN IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE!

This jerk has tens of thousands of girls and their parents spend SALARIES of money, many of them travelling from across the entire country for just that one night in capital city, for a show he ends 40 minutes in because he has a tummy ache. Next thing he's cranking it up in a neighboring country, literally scrubbing the stage with my country's flag. So it's not that I think his songs are silly or he has too much money - he shamelessly scammed tens of thousands of people, had his bodyguards beat the shit out of whoever took his picture (reason for which customs has placed an embargo on him) and mocked my country in the space of two days. People are treating the whole thing as fraud and suing him, the studio and/or the ticket company. Nobody's getting their money back. 15th birthday presents forever lost.

Like tears in the rain.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 13 Nov 2013, 16:58

Aside from the many young teen girls, most Canadians don't like him either. Or at least the Canadians I know (except my little brother, but he's 11 and just loves music no matter who sings it).
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Nov 2013, 18:04

I too have heard of many pre-teen Canadians who do not like him, largely due to his behaviour.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 13 Nov 2013, 18:14

So I got hired for a radio play yesterday on the strength of an awesome voice demo I sent them. Which was awesome.

Then they emailed just now and said that the actor they originally hired is now available again, and so I'm not needed.

I'm sorry what? A guy flakes on you, you hire a new person (who clearly has his shit together) and then when the flake suddenly shows up again, you fire the guy who had his shit together from the word 'go' and hire the flake?

I hope the hack gets laryngitis.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 13 Nov 2013, 20:41

Bebop Man wrote:I know in the context of the Internet Opinions week this may sound like the kind of air-headed criticism a selfie may draw. I vent, people point, lol and go "deal with it". Look, I don't give a fuck that Miley Cyrus did this or Kanye West did that. I'm talking about principles, dude. THE CHINAMAN IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE!

This jerk has tens of thousands of girls and their parents spend SALARIES of money, many of them travelling from across the entire country for just that one night in capital city, for a show he ends 40 minutes in because he has a tummy ache. Next thing he's cranking it up in a neighboring country, literally scrubbing the stage with my country's flag. So it's not that I think his songs are silly or he has too much money - he shamelessly scammed tens of thousands of people, had his bodyguards beat the shit out of whoever took his picture (reason for which customs has placed an embargo on him) and mocked my country in the space of two days. People are treating the whole thing as fraud and suing him, the studio and/or the ticket company. Nobody's getting their money back. 15th birthday presents forever lost.

Like tears in the rain.

Oh, don't get me wrong - he's such a huge douchebag that the 'douche field' he emits extends a fair bit BEYOND his physical body.

...I'm just speculating as to WHY he's such a scumbag, and HOW HE CAME TO BE such. Y'know, so we could maybe make it a little harder for it to happen again, perhaps?
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 14 Nov 2013, 00:53

Because his parents went from his blood to his industry of "Yes Men" who told him he can do anything.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Nov 2013, 01:12

Fezzul wrote:So I got hired for a radio play yesterday on the strength of an awesome voice demo I sent them. Which was awesome.

Then they emailed just now and said that the actor they originally hired is now available again, and so I'm not needed.

I'm sorry what? A guy flakes on you, you hire a new person (who clearly has his shit together) and then when the flake suddenly shows up again, you fire the guy who had his shit together from the word 'go' and hire the flake?

I hope the hack gets laryngitis.

Something similar happened to a friend of mine. A guy quit a job as a vending stocker. My friend took over. He did everything he could, especially given he was supporting a family. I think he might have missed one day due to illness. In the end, he was fired to rehire the guy he replaced. Why? The guy was the boss's friend. :/
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Nov 2013, 04:34

Tutor rant again.
This time chemistry.

He knows water is H2O. But his belief of the existence of water is that Hydrogen and Oxygen got dissolved in Water.

- Brain Hurts from metaness.
Angnor
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Angnor » 14 Nov 2013, 09:43

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Tutor rant again.
This time chemistry.

He knows water is H2O. But his belief of the existence of water is that Hydrogen and Oxygen got dissolved in Water.

How is this person a tutor?
J. B. S. Haldane wrote:I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 14 Nov 2013, 09:48

This time chemistry.

I may never read this thread again.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Nov 2013, 09:58

Angnor wrote:
This time chemistry.

How is this person a tutor?

I think it's because he's Welsh.
Was taught to be a plumber in Welsh.

And now is teaching in English.

That's the only possible reason I could guess. He has good plumbing trade knowledge. But it seems the theory side he's not great at. Shame he's permanently damaged his back for life, it means the only thing he can teach is the theory.

(I could be disciplined/suspended from College if they ever found out about my rants. Apparently it's forbidden for students to bitch about the College online :D)
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 14 Nov 2013, 11:14

Do you have somebody at the college you can complain to about him?
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 Nov 2013, 12:51

I hate being sick. I've coughed up more flem in the past 24 hours than I ever wanted to know was in my body. My voice is hoarse. And every morning I wake up very dehydrated. It doesn't even feel like a cold.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 14 Nov 2013, 13:39

Lots of tea and orange juice for you! Best thing about cold is that it's always gone in 3 or 4 days. Unless it turns out to be mono.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 14 Nov 2013, 14:30

Yeah right. I've never had a cold last less than a week, at a minimum- the one I'm currently in the grips of sent a girl in my tutor group into 'basically incapable of fuctioning' mode for about 10 days
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Psycat Aurora
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Psycat Aurora » 14 Nov 2013, 14:38

I am really getting pissed off at Adobe. I have Flash CS3, which took hours to install after a bunch of bullshit with that. Then I get a file from a potential client that won't open in my version of Flash. So I try to install a trial version of Creative Cloud and it won't work. I finally managed to borrow a copy of Flash 5.5 so I'm hoping that works.
Deviantart: Psycat-Aurora
Instagram: @psycataurora
Tumblr: Psycat Aurora
Twitter: @Psycat_Aurora
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 14 Nov 2013, 15:26

When my internet went down a couple weeks ago, I thought the main problem getting it fixed in time for Desert Bus would be the telco. I'd talk to the real estate agent, get them to do the one incredibly minor thing I need them to do, and then get the telco out to fix the line, and they'd have two weeks to do it, and I wasn't sure if they'd do it in time.

As it turns out, it's two and a half weeks later, and I still haven't managed to get the real estate agent to do their one incredibly minor thing, and even if I managed to convince them to do it today, that would give the telco about half a day to fix the line, which is never going to happen.

Looks like I'm missing DBfH this year... I've already cancelled my time off at work, don't want to spend a week just moping around in my apartment not watching Desert Bus.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 14 Nov 2013, 15:33

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Yeah right. I've never had a cold last less than a week, at a minimum- the one I'm currently in the grips of sent a girl in my tutor group into 'basically incapable of fuctioning' mode for about 10 days

The dissonance might come from the fact "cold" is a generic umbrella term for a wide range of diseases and/or symptoms. Wikipedia tells me the common cold lasts from 7 to 10 days, though probably only half of that time carries any intensity. Then we're also used to diagnosing ourselves through symptoms like coughing, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, and fever.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 14 Nov 2013, 16:06

That and no doctor would ever see you if you say "I have a cold."
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
empath

Postby empath » 14 Nov 2013, 17:35

Well, in a nation with socialized medicine; if you're plunking down cold, hard cash, it's "come right it; let's get at this acute rhinovirus infection!".

And the aforementioned 'cold bug' usually smacks me around for three days - first day is congestion and amazing amounts of it. Second is that, due to the congestion from day 1 sliding from my sinuses into my lungs while I slept, now I've got chest congestion and am doing what Kapol does - hork up tiny pieces of phlegm in HUGE quantities.

...this rips up my throat to the extent that on day 3 I have a mild case of laryngitis.

Now, provided something ELSE doesn't piggy-back on this rhinovirus incursion, and I develop pneumonia or a throat infection, I'm clear in three days...but I'm getting more and more susceptible to chest infections, and if that takes hold, all bets are off... :(
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Nov 2013, 14:50

DotA2 enjoys losing connection to the servers after a very bad game.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 15 Nov 2013, 19:54

So I sometimes don't communicate well, what with the Asperger's. I almost never say a thing that then turns out not to be ambiguous, possibly meaning two or more different things. I usually like that when I'm not trying to say anything particularly important and I can figure out how to say two or more things at the same time on purpose. But there's this thing, every single time I have an argument with anyone, without exception they bend over backwards to interpret what I say in whatever way makes the least sense and argue against that, and that's beginning to irritate me a lot. Like is it so damn clever to assume, at every single turn, that the only possible explanation that someone disagrees with you is that they are incapable of rational thought?
Last edited by Amake on 15 Nov 2013, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
empath

Postby empath » 15 Nov 2013, 20:01

Fucking password requirements:

sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number, a haiku, a gang sign, a hieroglyph, and the blood of a virgin

is what it FEELS like.

Seriously, if someone WANTS to get into what you have, the complexity of a password that has to still be comprehensible to a human mind isn't going to stop them.

(hell, "don't hack the network; hack the users" is an axiom for a reason)

...the REAL secret is to just make what you have not interesting enough to warrant the effort to get into it...
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 15 Nov 2013, 20:36

We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
empath

Postby empath » 15 Nov 2013, 21:57

Exactly my point; I typically use the maximum length of password they'll allow, but I'll set things up for some kind of mnemonic.

I can't recall off the top of my head at past 2am, but I've got at least a dozen different passwords I use, and they get changed anywhere from weekly to quarterly (depending on how valuable the service is to me).

...but there's this ONE site: it itself will demand I change the password monthly, and then it's got to be between six and eight characters long. :shock:

But what really burns my butter is the sysadmins tell me they can't increase the length "because of storage limitations", yet their software tracks EVERY PASSWORD EVERY USER HAS EVER HAD (over a decade now, and I check the oldest ones once a year - yeah, wrote them down for this very "oh, can't use that" reason)...but no, user password storage is an issue, you shit-shovellers. Just admit that you never wrote the code for the password authentication, and you don't know how to either a) get the source code, b) modify it for something like at least 12-char max passwords (or b2) write fresh code for same), or c) implement the upgraded code dynamically into your system. Or even just say "it'd be too much work". :P

But please don't shove an obvious lie in my face...

Okay, so this vent might be more about human nature than password strength. ;)

Oh, and on to a new vent:

Dear tumblrYahoo, PLEASE quit emailing me about 'Here's what happened this week on your Dashboard!' - I know, I saw it; I assume you assume the average tumblr-user only checks their dash once a week or so? You obviously don't grok social media users; I'm lazy in that I merely check the backlog two or three times a week; my wife checks it daily, and I can tell from her and my followed blogs that many 'tumblrers' are on constantly.

...but what is REALLY annoying is when you list off highlites...and half of them are things my friends reblogged from ME. :evil:

Return to “General Discussion”