Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
2stepz
First Video: .

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby 2stepz » 06 Apr 2014, 16:41

The Jester wrote:Oh god please help me getting together with my most recent ex is starting to sound really good right now. Fuck.

I just want someone curvy to kiss and cuddle and have loads of sex with.

Know the feels, dude. Not for the most recent ex (if I never hear or see him again it'll be too soon) but for some of the prior ones. Of course, that could just be the ... 16ish months I've been without now.

*shrugs* Much less drama this way... but much less satisfaction as well.
Tuckiozi
First Video: Unskippable/CommodoreHustle

Postby Tuckiozi » 07 Apr 2014, 09:21

Gah, I feel like such a mess right now.
I should be reading a lot more for my exams, but most days I can't seem to muster the effort even though I'm studying what I've been wanting to study since childhood, and now I don't even know if I'll get to have this exam (even though the thing I'm worried about is probably just an error). I have no friends down here, and I'm terrible at putting myself out into the world.

Atleast I get to go home for easter holidays... :?
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 07 Apr 2014, 14:06

AdmiralMemo wrote:I see you're in California. Do you happen to be in the San Francisco area? If so, the company I work for could really use a French-English translator, to free up some other people to do other stuff. If you can also do some tech support tickets when not translating, all the better.

If this interests you, send a resume and a writing sample (1000 words or more on a technological subject, should be detailed and explain the subject's subtleties) to: [email protected]

https://www.gandi.net/job/

Just seeing that now. Yes, I am in the Bay Area, and will do, if your company is still looking. Thanks!
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 07 Apr 2014, 16:01

Tuckiozi wrote:Gah, I feel like such a mess right now.
I should be reading a lot more for my exams, but most days I can't seem to muster the effort even though I'm studying what I've been wanting to study since childhood, and now I don't even know if I'll get to have this exam (even though the thing I'm worried about is probably just an error). I have no friends down here, and I'm terrible at putting myself out into the world.

Atleast I get to go home for easter holidays... :?

Woot exam week! I feel for you. I still have yet to start my write-up for my 3 day exam.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 07 Apr 2014, 16:39

This Project Management and the Professional report can go die in a fire.

Also, the enrolment system can't seem to find the subject I'm looking for. I triple checked, and the number is right, so I'm not sure what's going on. Fortunately, I can raise it with the course coordinator today, since I have a class with him today.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 08 Apr 2014, 04:40

Mum please don't talk about finding a slug in your parsley when I am eating my breakfast.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 08 Apr 2014, 05:41

°shakes fist at the USA°
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 08 Apr 2014, 06:35

Is that the map of the Neo British Empire?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Apr 2014, 06:35

Just... for reasons?

I mean, with all the crap that happens here, yeah, it's probably a good idea, but no clue what sparked this specific outrage.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 Apr 2014, 06:41

It is a map of date format.

Do you write today's date as 14/04/08, 08/04/14 or 04/08/14? One of these is quite wrong and unfortunately is also the most common way for Americans write the date. The correct format of course is 2014-04-08 as per ISO 8601.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 08 Apr 2014, 06:54

For archiving I am in total agreement.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Apr 2014, 06:56

I understand the logic, but YOU try to re-train 300 million people to write the date a different way.

(I also use YYYY-MM-DD frequently.)

Also, what's up with the random other countries in different colors? I see at least 6 different colors, so the 3 options you mentioned are clearly incomplete.

Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 08 Apr 2014, 07:50

I'm just relieved that Canada uses the same system as Antarctica. That saves a lot of confusion.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 08 Apr 2014, 08:07

Hold on a minute. Is that image a subtle reference joke to LRR's/Arrogant Worms' "I'm Not an American"?

*till I think I have a plan,
Let's become Antarctican,
And join up with the penguins
For just like them, we're not American!

Also check the page link and scroll to the end of the lyrics: http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/t/thearro ... 07472.html
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Apr 2014, 09:20

I started using YYYY-MM-DD for most purposes since I saw the xkcd on the subject. For form-filling, however, I use DD/MM/YYYY to avoid confusion
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 08 Apr 2014, 12:01

Most of the time, I end up using DD MON YY (spelling out the month) because of the international make up of those I work with, it's the only consistent method.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Apr 2014, 13:14

AdmiralMemo wrote:Also, what's up with the random other countries in different colors? I see at least 6 different colors, so the 3 options you mentioned are clearly incomplete.

Cyan is Day-Month-Year, Yellow is Year-Month-Day, and Magenta is Month-Day-Year. Green countries use both YMD and DMY, while Red countries use DMY and MDY.

Canada, of course, uses all three date formats. In formal settings DMY and YMD are both frequently used, while in casual use MDY is still used.

I, of course, write the date as "1396915200000".
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 08 Apr 2014, 18:14

Two separate vents that are more about general things than anything personal.

I just saw that there's a movie called "God's Not Dead." I looked into it, and apparently it's a movie about a student taking a philosophy class with an 'evil' instructor who forces students to write that god does not exist. The boy refuses to do it, and ends up having to argue for the existence of god in a debate with said teacher.

Now the premise seems pretty stupid to begin with. If you can't write something for some jackass of an instructor just to get the class started, then either find a different instructor or report him to the college. In real life, that shouldn't be acceptable behavior (the teacher's that is). Fine. And I do admit that there ARE people out there like that. It's fair to admit it, and those people are dickwads.

But what annoys me is that this is one of those things that portrays it as though Christians are being attacked and hated on so much. As if they're some kind of abused minority rather than the rather powerful majority in the US. It seems to be this feeling that a decent amount of Christians have that their way of life is being oppressed and shat on by everyone else, when in reality some Christians shit on a lot of others more than anything. This movie only reinforces that idea, and I feel it's a negative occurrence overall. It only helps build the 'us vs them' mentality that plagues so many people already. It's as if they look at people wanting fair treatment or to actually have a chance for different thinking to be personal attacks. The worst part is that he movie seem to be doing pretty well, mostly because there are a lot of people who do feel that way and want to be assured that they're right in doing so.

----------------------------

Secondary rant is smaller. I noticed someone on the front page of reddit had basically gotten like 2k+ upvotes. For what? Putting the fact that his wife had gotten pregnant, the spent the next 9 months in some of the best months they've had, and then the baby was black (with both of them being white). WHY WOULD YOU PUT THAT IN MEME FORM!? It's like, there's a super bad thing that happens. Let's put it against a generic meme image. Bleh.
Last edited by Kapol on 08 Apr 2014, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 08 Apr 2014, 18:17

FUCK lazy ass shits that think 'mopping' is "wiping a wet mop across the floor until said floor is wet".

We've got the internal Food Safety auditor (whom, I might add, is much stricter that the government inspector) coming in tomorrow; BREAK OUT A FUCKING SWEAT and get the DAMN DIRT OFF THE FUCKING FLOOR, you SLACKER!!!

Oh, and 'DuMmY' or 'Your Mouse Died' is fine, but 'MuDdY' is just self-describingly vague and internally inconsistent. :P
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Apr 2014, 21:34

I'm going to watch the "God's Not Dead" movie mainly for 2 reasons: Newsboys, and Kevin Sorbo. Everything else, it can be as flawed as anything and I don't care.

Also, I heard that it's loosely based on a (possibly apocryphal) story about Einstein doing something similar in college?

Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 08 Apr 2014, 23:08

Einstein was agnostic, so it is most likely apocryphal. Seems like a weird philosophy class that, "WRITE DOWN THE TEACHINGS OF NIETZSCHE OR YOU'RE OUTTA MY CLASS!"
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 08 Apr 2014, 23:11

After spending 3 days obsessing over this paper I'm still not close to done (and which is due at noon today; it's currently 3 AM here) and which has already had the date extended I've decided...

I don't want to be a scientist. Or a poor student. Or whatever. I'm going to go be a pop star or something. J Beebs was from around here, and I'm half whiny douche he is. You could pay me like 50% as much. Okay, 10%. ... 5%? I won't go street racing in a Lambo, I promise. Please find me a way out of this hell. Or time to sleep. I'd take either right now, frankly. D:
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 08 Apr 2014, 23:31

Ptangmatik wrote:Einstein was agnostic, so it is most likely apocryphal. Seems like a weird philosophy class that, "WRITE DOWN THE TEACHINGS OF NIETZSCHE OR YOU'RE OUTTA MY CLASS!"

I wouldn't be half surprised by a dickish teacher being like that somewhere. But then the whole 'refuses to do it, teacher challenges him to a debate with the teacher being the other side (totes fair), accepting said challenge, then winning (educated guess that's what happens)' to be... unlikely. Especially over, you know, just doing it and getting it over with, or reporting the teacher for being a dickwad to the dean, or something along those lines.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 09 Apr 2014, 04:57

Or at least waiting to see what the point of the exercise is. Separating oneself from their preconceptions of morality and the nature of the universe seems like a fair way of starting a philosophy course.

Every story about a smart-ass student gets attributed to Einstien eventually. Just like everything else gets attributed to Oscar Wilde.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 09 Apr 2014, 05:54

Master Gunner wrote:Or at least waiting to see what the point of the exercise is. Separating oneself from their preconceptions of morality and the nature of the universe seems like a fair way of starting a philosophy course.

Unless the teacher's next move is to drop their trousers.

Return to “General Discussion”