Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7225
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 May 2014, 05:11

Lord Chrusher wrote:The former leader (and father of the current leader) of the Front National, Jean-Marie Le Pen, was convicted of Holocaust denial in both France and Germany and likely tortured people during the Algerian War.

Image
User avatar
Deedles
Posts: 4043
Joined: 29 Nov 2010, 13:19
First Video: Man Cooking
Location: A shoebox on Kashyyyk.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Deedles » 26 May 2014, 05:49

What annoys me the most is that some people didn't even have a good reason for voting for the Swedish Democrats, but simply did so to "scare the other parties" into getting their act together. Obviously these people didn't think past the length of their nose, because it's going to be 5 years until they can change that vote! 5 years that these anti-EU parties can do a lot of damage in.

So I have once more had it confirmed to me that people are stupid.
Hurp-De-Durp!
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7225
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 May 2014, 05:54

The only thing we can do is vote for sensible parties in hope it combats one vote for the stupidparty.
-

I can understand why people don't want Europe telling them what to do. As a person who supports the "England take your clingy fingers off us" mentality in Wales, it'd be hypocritical of me to condemn it. The problem is, the politicians people are voting in to "weaken the big meanie Europe who's telling us how to do things" are very bitter people. Surely, the best people to vote for are the people who simply just want to represent your country's interests and has no emotional baggage to do with Eurovision.

-

By the way. As a way to help understand the psyche behind the Extreme Nationalist party voters, I recommend watching the film: This Is England.

It's not an entertaining film. But it's about the 1980s in Britain and I find it how chilling how relevant the story is to now-a-days.

(Yes it's set in Northern England, but the exploration of human nature is applicable to all nations)
User avatar
Deedles
Posts: 4043
Joined: 29 Nov 2010, 13:19
First Video: Man Cooking
Location: A shoebox on Kashyyyk.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Deedles » 26 May 2014, 07:27

I can't stop raging about the EU elections, they just make me so angry and disappointed. PICK UP A FUCKING HISTORY BOOK AND READ IT! Look at how Putin is acting at the moment! Look at all of these racist parties!

Just, urgh. I won't make the blanket claim that all people who voted for those parties are uneducated, because I know that some did it for scare tactics, others voted like that because those parties are pointing the finger at something and blaming that for all problems, but it's not that fucking easy!

Just... urgh... HISTORY! READ IT! YOU DUMB FUCKS!

Managed to calm down and write something more coherent.

The people who voted for racist anti-EU parties, no matter what reason they had-be it to scare the other parties into action; or because those parties make politics overly simplistic by pointing the finger and blaming foreigners/gays/women for their nations current problems; or because they truly agree with that party's racist views-have obviously not been reading any history books covering the second world war, because if they had then they couldn't of avoided seeing the similarities. A Europe in an economical crisis, and with Putin following Hitler's actions a bit too closely for comfort.

To the people who support the views of those parties I ask; How can you care more about money and your own comfort than your fellow human beings? What drives you to be so selfish? Is this really the world we live in? It's 2014, not 1939! How is someone worth less because they weren't born in the same country as you? Or because they're not attracted to the same people as you? Or because they were born a different gender? How can you sit there and call other people barbaric and ignorant when you're acting just the bad eggs that you yourself are using as an example?

To you who voted for such extremist parties to give other parties a scare, I sure hope you considered that it's 5 years until you can change those votes, and that in those 5 years a lot of bad decisions and damage can be made. You're children playing in a grown up world, and I don't mean that in a good way. I mean that you're irresponsible and don't consider the consequences of your actions. To you I say; Grow the fuck up.

And finally to those who voted for racist parties because they're 'fixing the problem' by 'finding the cause'. Nothing exists in a vacuum in the political system. To make an analogy, remember a few years back how there was news about how our ecosystem would collapse if all bees were exterminated?

That's because everything in the ecosystem is connected, mess with one thing and something else is effected. The political system works the same way, you can't just remove or change something to your hearts content, because when you do you create a domino effect on other things, and the damage such ignorant decision making could do is unfathomable. It's not as easy as 'the foreigners are the problem' or 'the gays are the cause'. It never has been in that easy and it never will be, and thinking that way is simply gullible, because problems with things such a economics, jobs and health care take time to fix, because there are so many intricacies, so all your jolly hunt on foreigners is going to cause is a load of absolutely unnecessary pain, suffering and death.

Countries are the same now too, we're not all isolated from each other, no matter how much some people would like to be, and with things being the way that they are with Russia now is the worst time to try to become isolated too. If something happens to another country it will effect us too, sooner or later, and such naive thinking as 'nothing like the world war II could happen now' or 'but they would never attack us' should be cast out right here and now. Because, you know what? I bet Europe of 1939 also thought that nothing like the second world war could occur then either.
Hurp-De-Durp!
User avatar
Dutch guy
Posts: 5200
Joined: 11 Feb 2008, 17:12
First Video: History of Halo
Location: Southern Dutch Colonies

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Dutch guy » 26 May 2014, 08:14

I voted for an Anti-EU party too. (Albeit one with a "we don't like the EU politics" standpoint instead of the "tey tuk uur jerbs" one)

I don't ncessarily disgree with the idea of far reaching economic cooperation or aligning and equalising laws across the border. I'm all for better communication an cooperation in law enforcement and trade. I'm dead set against the backhanded, undemocratic and far reaching manner in which the EU is currently doing its thing. Most EU citizens don't WANT a European Federation, yet that is EXACTLY what most EU politicians are working towards.
A lot of decision making power and sovereignty is being transfered away from national governments without ANY oversight or say in the matter from the citizens of each country. The EU is pulling more and more power towards it, all the while making it's political process more corrupt and undemocratic than the US. (And thats saying something)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
User avatar
Deedles
Posts: 4043
Joined: 29 Nov 2010, 13:19
First Video: Man Cooking
Location: A shoebox on Kashyyyk.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Deedles » 26 May 2014, 08:28

And I can understand that, but I sincerely don't think voting for racist anti-EU parties is the answer. If you cast your vote for one of them then all I can say is that I disagree with your choice, but it was your democrating right to make that choice as you pleased. If you simply voted for an anti-EU party then I can't say I disagree with your choice quite as much, since I can understand the reasoning behind that.
Hurp-De-Durp!
User avatar
Dutch guy
Posts: 5200
Joined: 11 Feb 2008, 17:12
First Video: History of Halo
Location: Southern Dutch Colonies

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Dutch guy » 26 May 2014, 11:36

Deedles wrote:And I can understand that, but I sincerely don't think voting for racist anti-EU parties is the answer. If you cast your vote for one of them then all I can say is that I disagree with your choice, but it was your democrating right to make that choice as you pleased. If you simply voted for an anti-EU party then I can't say I disagree with your choice quite as much, since I can understand the reasoning behind that.


And I can certainly understand the frustration of people voting on ANY racist party, be it pro- or Anti-EU. Racism shouldn't have a place in politics.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
User avatar
Deedles
Posts: 4043
Joined: 29 Nov 2010, 13:19
First Video: Man Cooking
Location: A shoebox on Kashyyyk.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Deedles » 26 May 2014, 11:42

The main reason I single out racist anti-EU parties is because most of them have extreme views of just wanting to get out to of the EU, instead of trying to change it for the better.
Hurp-De-Durp!
User avatar
My pseudonym is Ix
Posts: 3835
Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend
Location: --. .-. . .- - / -... .-. .. - .- .. -.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 May 2014, 11:54

It's not that it's the answer. It's that people are disillusioned with a political system that seems to be favouring everyone except them. The rich are getting richer, they are staying poor, and jack all seems happening to oppose it. The internet is awash with stories of big business screwing over the common man, and across the western world people are getting angry at everything from their education systems to public transport. It feels to many like help must be going to everyone except them.

Look at the Occupy movement, look at the likes of 38 Degrees- people are looking to outside the traditional political sphere. Those are two solutions- voting for the likes of UKIP and 'the racist parties' is another, purely because they are sold on a different message. They generally aren't run by public schoolboys or people who are in the news every week snapping at each other in Parliament, they continually state how they are 'for the <insert country name> people', and because they don't come from a party who've said the same thing and apparently not delivered on it for 40 years, people believe them. The atmosphere is ripe for more extreme politics, particularly in an age where the political atmosphere is increasingly samey on all sides.

One final thing for everyone thinking about UKIP in particular- UKIP did very well in the 2009 European Elections too, and did so again here because Europe is their key issue. However, in the local council elections in England recently, they actually did pretty poorly, reflecting the fact that UKIP have a very strong view on Europe but not so much on other stuff. And given how much the European Parliament actually gets done, that's probably the best place for them IMO.

And, whilst I hate to dwell on politics... I think you and I, Darkobra, will have to agree to disagree on the Scottish independence thing. I say that not from a political or economic standpoint (because although I have some opinions regarding it, my understanding of the various issues is far from perfect), just... I like Scotland. I am a quarter Scottish. I want it to be a part of my country, and I want it to do well or otherwise with us. I define myself as British above all else, and I consider Scotland a part of that.

Then, again, I consider Ireland almost a part of that from my perspective, so I guess that shows how much I know
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
User avatar
Deedles
Posts: 4043
Joined: 29 Nov 2010, 13:19
First Video: Man Cooking
Location: A shoebox on Kashyyyk.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Deedles » 26 May 2014, 12:00

That's what I find ironic. Left wing parties are usually referred to as the working man's party, while right wing parties are the rich mans party; Most of the racist parties who got voted in are right wing parties. The Swedish Democrats are even further right than our most conservative party.
Hurp-De-Durp!
User avatar
My pseudonym is Ix
Posts: 3835
Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend
Location: --. .-. . .- - / -... .-. .. - .- .. -.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 May 2014, 12:05

Not so, in fact- almost every right-leaning party that's come to power... pretty much ever has done so by appealing to the populist vote and the nationalist ideal (or via military coup). National socialism wasn't such an original idea as is often made out.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
User avatar
Deedles
Posts: 4043
Joined: 29 Nov 2010, 13:19
First Video: Man Cooking
Location: A shoebox on Kashyyyk.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Deedles » 26 May 2014, 12:16

Can't say how it is in the whole world, but the conservative parties usually seemed like the party for the privileged, while left wing parties (like the Social Democrats in Sweden, and from what I've seen and heard, Labour in the UK) always seemed favoured by the working class. Once again, from what I heard the reason Labour fell out of favour was because they fucked up by doing nothing at all while in power and the Torys were voted in instead as a consequence.

Edit: That's why the Moderators(our most conservative party, which isn't a bad party despite that), were voted into power, and also why people seem to be leaning towards the left wing again now.
Hurp-De-Durp!
User avatar
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
Posts: 19383
Joined: 29 Oct 2006, 12:19
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: In Limbo.

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Master Gunner » 26 May 2014, 12:59

Pretty much every party will try and appeal to the "working masses" to get into power. Whether that works depends on how much you buy into their rhetoric and other policies.

In the United States, the Republican Party leverages conservative social and religious policies and has a platform allegedly based on lower taxes and smaller government in order to appeal to rural voters and the middle class. However from a liberal perspective, the Republicans are seen as an old rich mans club who only look out for their own self-interest and the tax breaks only go to their rich buddies.

On the other hand, the Democratic Party uses progressive social policies to appeal to minorities and disenfranchised voters, and their fiscal policy is often to increase taxes in order to expand welfare and social programs that help the poor. From a conservative perspective though, they're seen as the privileged elite who want to govern all aspects of your life and take your money.

I'm generalizing wildly, but my point is perspective is key, especially as political parties get more entrenched in the system.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
User avatar
My pseudonym is Ix
Posts: 3835
Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend
Location: --. .-. . .- - / -... .-. .. - .- .. -.
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 May 2014, 13:16

Exactly. To demonstrate the British equivalent, the left perceives the Conservatives as Daily Mail-reading nutjobs who operate everything as a public school cabal, whilst trying to appeal to the workers on grounds of improving public services, whilst the right thinks of the left as Guardian-reading snobs who pretend to understand the working classes and appealing to them on grounds of lower taxes.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
User avatar
Prospero101
Posts: 2372
Joined: 26 Jan 2013, 08:19
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune
Location: The suburb of a city that doesn't exist

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Prospero101 » 26 May 2014, 15:09

There's probably a degree of social commentary to be had regarding the idea that each is defined by which newspaper they read, but that's neither here not there.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
User avatar
Psyclone
Posts: 1862
Joined: 13 Sep 2009, 02:23
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween
Location: Walla^2

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Psyclone » 26 May 2014, 15:32

Europe, you're scaring me.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
User avatar
Valkyrie-Lemons
Posts: 1204
Joined: 23 Nov 2012, 09:09
First Video: Spoken Word
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 26 May 2014, 16:21

This is in response to the guy behind the mass shootings in California recently who went on the rampage because of his lack of success at women.

So I've heard that he complained that he was a virgin at 22, something which he shouldn't be at his age. My question is this: Why is this a problem? Or better, why is this even considered anything like a problem to anyone?


Why is it that anyone would consider being a virgin at 22 to be shameful? It just makes me depressed about our society that anyone, no matter if they have issues with mental health, would consider this to be something to be ashamed of.


Because you know what? I'm almost 23. I'm a virgin. In fact, I've never even kissed a girl, I've never really been on a date with a girl. And you know what? I hate that anyone in society can suggest that this is shameful in any way. Because I'm not ashamed, and I implore anyone who feels ashamed of themselves because of similar circumstances not to be.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?


I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7345
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 May 2014, 23:33

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:This is in response to the guy behind the mass shootings in California recently who went on the rampage because of his lack of success at women.

So I've heard that he complained that he was a virgin at 22, something which he shouldn't be at his age. My question is this: Why is this a problem? Or better, why is this even considered anything like a problem to anyone?

Why is it that anyone would consider being a virgin at 22 to be shameful? It just makes me depressed about our society that anyone, no matter if they have issues with mental health, would consider this to be something to be ashamed of.

Because you know what? I'm almost 23. I'm a virgin. In fact, I've never even kissed a girl, I've never really been on a date with a girl. And you know what? I hate that anyone in society can suggest that this is shameful in any way. Because I'm not ashamed, and I implore anyone who feels ashamed of themselves because of similar circumstances not to be.
I'm a 32-year-old virgin and proud of it! I friggin' hate anyone in society that has the "cure to all ills" being "You need to get laid!"

Why does sex seem to be the be-all and end-all to everything these days? There are a whole lot more things in this world to enjoy than just sex. I'll get to enjoying sex when I'm good and ready to, but for now, I'm enjoying other things!

I've been on some dates with my ex-girlfriend, but we never kissed or had sex in the... Dang... It was 8 years we went out? Didn't seem like that long. And it's been 8 years since we broke up...

And now, I'm old. Get off my lawn, you whipper-snappers! :P
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Fezzul
Posts: 2550
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 06:45
First Video: Toothy Smile
Location: New York

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Fezzul » 26 May 2014, 23:51

I was a virgin up until three and a half months ago, I admit, there were times when I wondered what I was doing wrong... but I always took comfort in Eddie Izzard's words.

"I was virgin until I was 21. 21! That's not cool at all. But I talk about it now, so now it is cool."

Slight paraphrasing, but the sentiment is about right.

There is pressure to lose your virginity, and it's worse in certain social circles than others, but the odds of getting a shag eventually are pretty good. That's just statistics. Unless you are actively avoiding it, you'll work it out eventually. And then once you do lose your virginity, you realize how little it matters. You don't change in to another person, the same problems will still be waiting for you at work, you'll still be good and bad at the same things, you'll still have to brush your teeth after eating chocolate and look both ways before crossing the street. No need to be ashamed whatever your preferences or sexual history, it is what it is.

*The shooter was a misogynist who blamed women for the fact that he was a virgin. He is an extreme example of what happens when prototype masculinity is espoused above all else, and sexual conquests are raised to the value of Chaos Emeralds. I don't know if it's a by-product of how he was raised, or the school he went to or societal/media influences (probably a little from each column). If you watch his pre-shooting video (It's online, I don't recommend it for anything other than scientific study) he comes off as narcissistic, shallow and boring (His vocabulary is paltry, and he is cliched and derivative as fuck). He is the textbook whiny teenager (I know he's in his twenties), he is clearly someone who needed to see a therapist, take life less seriously, and work out a clearer sense of priorities. The whole thing is just sad and stupid.

I can't feel anything but contempt and pity for the guy. Contempt because of what he did, and pity because that wanker is now a martyr to the male orgasm. Congratu-fucking-lations.

*I originally typed his name here, but he's had enough exposure already. The more people repeat the names of these wankers the more they approach folk hero status.
Last edited by Fezzul on 27 May 2014, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7345
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 May 2014, 23:58

Fezzul wrote:And then once you do lose your virginity, you realize how little it matters.
So there are just the intelligent or insightful few that happen to get this before they lose their virginity, so they don't dwell on it all the time?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Fezzul
Posts: 2550
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 06:45
First Video: Toothy Smile
Location: New York

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Fezzul » 27 May 2014, 00:09

AdmiralMemo wrote:
Fezzul wrote:And then once you do lose your virginity, you realize how little it matters.
So there are just the intelligent or insightful few that happen to get this before they lose their virginity, so they don't dwell on it all the time?


Allow me to re-phrase: Once I lost my virginity, I realized how little it mattered.

I mean, I had an inkling... but I needed to know for sure.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7225
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 May 2014, 00:18

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:This is in response to the guy behind the mass shootings in California recently who went on the rampage because of his lack of success at women.

So I've heard that he complained that he was a virgin at 22, something which he shouldn't be at his age. My question is this: Why is this a problem? Or better, why is this even considered anything like a problem to anyone?


Why is it that anyone would consider being a virgin at 22 to be shameful? It just makes me depressed about our society that anyone, no matter if they have issues with mental health, would consider this to be something to be ashamed of.


Because you know what? I'm almost 23. I'm a virgin. In fact, I've never even kissed a girl, I've never really been on a date with a girl. And you know what? I hate that anyone in society can suggest that this is shameful in any way. Because I'm not ashamed, and I implore anyone who feels ashamed of themselves because of similar circumstances not to be.


I'm still a virgin. I have never had a romantic encounter with anyone.

It's just down to how I am. I am not desperate to get laid (my junk may say otherwise. Silly nature). So when anyone is blatantly flirts with me, I generally get really put off. Perhaps I think (if you're this forwards and you don't even know me, will you do this to others when I am in a relationship with you? You're showing you're interested in me, but I am seeing I might not be able to trust you.)
I didn't go out of my way to go out with anyone as a kid because I saw how hard my sister took break ups. And I thought it would be cruel of me to get into a relationship and then have to end it as it wasn't working.
I thought I might meet someone at Uni, and I kinda did. But they didn't feel mutual so that was a bummer.
I spent the next few years trying to avoid those feels because I wasn't sure if I was just "being desperate" and shoving left-over feels into someone else. When you have a crush on someone for over a year, and it turns out they don't feel the same (and are not of the same sexuality thus never will feel the same), it's kinda difficult. I would imagine it's like a break-up but only you are suffering.
And now I don't think I would be able to dedicate time to a relationship due to college and how difficult it would be to move here without a car (I don't want to be a leach).

That's just really how it's happened. I'm not angry. I am angry at that one person who I had a crush with for a year for being "overly friendly" in a way which came across as flirting. I haven't met any other man who made me sit on their lap, hold my hand, hugged me often. I'm sorry that I took it that you were interested in me in that way. He's getting married some time so maybe that'd help put the annoyance to rest. Wouldn't be so bad if he would still talk to me. But ever since he had got his girl friend he's been a brickwall.

That's another thing. I haven't gone out of my way to find anyone because I keep hearing from some of my friends how "Their annoying girl friend doesn't like them playing video games". And I think "Stop being misogynistic and perhaps try to get her to understand your hobby/go out with someone who shared that hobby to begin with".

There does seem to be a culture of GET A PARTNER WHEN YOU'RE OVER 16 AND GET THE SEX BUT DO THE SEX SAFELY SO YOU DON'T CAUSE A TEENAGE PREGNANCY. BECAUSE THEN WE'LL CALL THE MOTHER A WHORE AND IT'S NOT HYPOCRITICAL THAT WE'RE FORCING THE IDEA THAT TEENAGERS HAVE THE SEX.

There was a stupid documentary on the BBC's Panorama that talked about Video Gaming (in men). And they were talking to this person who didn't play for very long periods. And the interviewer asked him "Why don't you go get a girlfriend?"

A. A. Because clearly what matters if that you find any old girl to be in a relationship. Just go down to the club and flirt with every girl and go out with one that likes you, regardless of your mutual feelings. Why do young people feel like they have to be in relationships? Because society thinks that having "a Boy/Girlfriend" is normal.

I would rather be in a romantic relationship with someone I knew I might get along with, than A dehumanised concept of "any old person as my girlfriend".

I blame "The 40 year Old Virgin". The film (I haven't seen it, and so hasn't a lot of other people) seems to have created a deadline for "having the sex". If you're 40 and a virgin, society will "magically think you're sad and point at you". Chances are the film isn't about mocking a 40 year old who hasn't had sex yet. But if it's not, perhaps don't call the film that otherwise you're just making people who haven't had the sex feel depressed and judged.

That said, I feel lonely. But I don't think that's to do with not having sex or being in a relationship. I think that's just a combination of things.
Last edited by Merrymaker_Mortalis on 27 May 2014, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7345
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 May 2014, 00:19

Yeah, I'm not trying to put down you or any non-virgins who either didn't realize that or don't agree with it. I just realized that what I wrote could easily be negatively interpreted as "Oh ho! Look at me! I'm better than all of you because I did a thing!"
That is not at all what I was trying to convey. I was just trying to get across the point that society throws a bunch of BS at you in a torrent, and the amount of people who can see through it in any particular area is small.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7345
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 May 2014, 00:30

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:A bunch of stuff
With the line of thinking you're getting at the end, it's dead on. Society and the entertainment media have been shoving the idea that "Every man is owed a pretty girl to be with for the rest of their lives" down our throats for the past 100 years or so. If that's what you grow up hearing over and over and over and over, and then you don't get that attractive, romantic partner, you get frustrated. Objectively, you are unjustly frustrated, since people are people, and you aren't owed another person, since they're not property. However, it's still understandable that if you're lied to all your life, and then that lie is shown to be false, you'll get angry at something.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7225
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 May 2014, 00:55

I also forgot to mention that the reporter dude assumed the guy was heterosexual or even sexual at all.

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests