Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby JustAName » 10 Aug 2014, 17:23

When I went in for my interview on Friday, they said, "We'll call you in two weeks." I got a rejection e-mail today. While I appreciate the speed of the decision, it's both annoying that they used a different method, so I'm kind of harboring the false hope that it was a mistake, and that all it said was "Thank you for taking the time to apply with us. We are unable to offer you a position at this time, but we do appreciate your interest"

And now I'm feeling unreasonably certain that nobody will ever hire me.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 10 Aug 2014, 17:47

I hate the disingenuous way in which interviewers dismiss applicants. Job searching can be soul crushing.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 10 Aug 2014, 17:49

I just... I am a very good worker. I will work efficiently, quickly, and hard. I have in the past come up with ways to improve my working process, and I'm certain I can do it again. I am good at what I do. But I have no idea how to market myself.

Bluh.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 11 Aug 2014, 00:33

Hey, people who are editing movies. The dialogue of the characters is more important than the noises going on in the movie. Yes, I realize having dynamic sound is important to create an interesting movie. Yes, I realize that in real life, an explosion WOULD sound much louder than a person talking. But this is not real life. And the plot is more important than the explosions (take note of that, Michael Bay).

I'm watching the first Captain America movie, and whoever handled the audio-balancing should have lost his job. It's ridiculous honestly. I have to constantly adjust the volume. Whenever action isn't happening, the movie's dreadfully quiet. Whenever it is happening, it's stupidly loud. Creating audio 'zones' of volume, which is pretty awful to see in such a big-budget movie.

I'm watching, and the scene where they board the train to capture the doctor happens. I have to turn my TV down to about 25 volume, since it's the middle of the night and there are people sleeping that it could disturb. Then, the scene where the general interrogates the doctor comes up, and it's so quiet I can't hear it. I turn it up to the full 100 volume of the TV, and I can still barely hear what they're saying. That's bad sound design.

Maybe it's just something with my Blu-ray player or something like that. But I kind of doubt it.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Aug 2014, 04:05

Violinists who consistently play too quickly or too high.

Well done, you're showing us you're awesome at the technical side of playing the violin. Now play something that actually sounds pleasant.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 11 Aug 2014, 18:54

I really get the feeling that people talk to me only when they want something from me.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 11 Aug 2014, 19:40

Yeah, I'm done.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Aug 2014, 20:44

Darkobra wrote:Yeah, I'm done.
Done with what? People? If so, I know that feeling.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 Aug 2014, 20:46

Darkobra wrote:I really get the feeling that people talk to me only when they want something from me.

I will admit, I only talk to you when I want something from you. I want your conversation and companionship, I also appreciate your insight on a lot of topics I dont have a strong understanding of so I want that from you too.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 11 Aug 2014, 21:22

AdmiralMemo wrote:
Darkobra wrote:Yeah, I'm done.
Done with what? People? If so, I know that feeling.

Pretty much! I don't ask much from people! I'm smart enough to get things done myself. By the time I bring people up to my speed, I could have done it twice. And considering that this entire week is going to be spent until Sunday helping other people out, going through a list and having to put MY needs on hold, you'd think they'd at least hold a conversation with me.

Instead I get "I need that from you, I'll be back when you're done." Then they fuck off until the next thing they need from me! How about a conversation?! But it's getting to the stage where I'm thinking I don't even want to talk to them. I have given up.

I genuinely think if I was to die tomorrow, half of the people around me would not know how to even dress themselves. It's getting a nightmare constantly having to help but getting nothing in return.

Lord Hosk wrote:
Darkobra wrote:I really get the feeling that people talk to me only when they want something from me.

I will admit, I only talk to you when I want something from you. I want your conversation and companionship, I also appreciate your insight on a lot of topics I dont have a strong understanding of so I want that from you too.

I don't really deliver much of that around this forum. I'm usually just background noise half the time. I come in just to rant or amuse myself. Sometimes I do both at the same time!

Still, this is like a sanctuary. There are people as smart as I am here. The only one I get that from here is my lady and we're both extraordinarily busy lately. I might see her tonight hopefully!

You know what they say. "Behind every strong man is a stronger woman."
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 11 Aug 2014, 21:25

"...rolling her eyes at him."
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Aug 2014, 22:18

Darkobra wrote:I genuinely think if I was to die tomorrow, half of the people around me would not know how to even dress themselves. It's getting a nightmare constantly having to help but getting nothing in return.
The old "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" routine, eh? One day, you've just got to stop. Just stop helping people. Just for a little while. Make a little stand against being steamrolled. Then, when they see exactly what you've been doing for them, they'll appreciate your efforts, you'll get some respect, and they'll ask you to come back, but with a better understanding.

My dad quit his job at an architectural firm back in the 70s to start his own printing business. A couple months later, he decided to return to see some old friends and catch up. Well, come to find out, they had to hire 3 people to replace him. Three people were doing the job he did by himself. You're sure they missed having him there.

When I was fired from the job I previously held before my current one (owner's nephew, nepotism, he couldn't handle the truth, etc.), I ended up shifting a few temp jobs to occupy my time and money until I landed my current job probably 6 months later. However, my dad still worked at the same company that I was fired from for a few years afterward. He told me that he heard the owner's nephew saying not even a month after I was fired "Man, I wish Mike were back here again. Doing this stuff sucks!" A bit of karma right there, but seriously: He got me fired, and then the work-load that I was doing fell upon him, and he didn't realize the full extent of what that meant until he had to do it himself. But, that's what he gets, and he deserves every minute of it.

The work you do for others will be appreciated by them if you just stop doing it for a little while. They'll beg you to do it again, and you'll see them respect you a bit more.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 12 Aug 2014, 01:47

You're right. My old adage is "Always take a day a week just for you." I think next week will be all for me! This week I'll take care of essentials only. There is some stuff that does desperately need doing. Someone I know managed to get hacked so I need to run a few virus scans and help them change all their passwords. Because they used the same one for everything. Everything. Warned them about that for months.

I do have a friend in America who said that if I ever moved there, there's a job waiting for me. He does value the work I do and says "I could leave you in a room and know the job will be done before I need to ask you." And considering the work opportunities here? I have considered it!

Thanks for making me see that what I do matters, lads! And Prospero? I am going to talk at you purely in Final Fantasy quotes from now on.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 13 Aug 2014, 07:31

Another thing related to Robin Williams death...

I love that it's become a platform for talking about mental health and depression.
Though I've also seen people going "Oh, so a celebrity is dead, yeah yeah, sad. There are still children dying from not having any fresh water" it makes me sad and angry. Why would compassion and feeling sad for something be a finite resource? Why would me feeling sad about a person who had an impact on me growing up dying diminish the fact that I don't like kids starving and dying horribly? It's so fucking elitist telling people what they can and can't be sad about. Fuck you, you better don't feel sad when your parents die or someone close to you dies, because people are always having a worse time. No you can't fight for gay rights or womens rights in sweden because the gays and women in Russia have it worse... Fuck you...
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Aug 2014, 09:01

I was talking with some guild mates (at that specific time when I was playing WoW) about my experience of my cat dying. I still needed to talk about it as it was still grieving me.

One of them told me that both his parents have died and that when you lose everything, you find so much more. And everyone agreed with him.

And I was stunned.
I felt like, how the fuck is me learning that your family is dead going to help me? Now I'm going to feel shit about my own loss and shit about yours. Oh thanks. Doesn't help that everyone else agrees with you. Making me feel like an outsider because how dare I grieve about my cat being dead
Also being told by another of them that they felt sad for a very short time and then was OK when their Dog died didn't help either. Oh great, now I'm a freak. Thanks, I really don't regret opening up to you.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 13 Aug 2014, 09:20

I totally get where you're coming from Merrymaker.

I think it's because death, and the grief from death, are not equatable; and not everyone seems to realise this.

It's like when my cat died, I felt some happiness, simply because if they hadn't been put to sleep they would have suffered terribly, and be mostly brain-dead. But I couldn't equate that to the loss of your cat, one because I don't know the circumstance, and two even if it was the same situation, we'd naturally react differently.

So yeah, you grieve in your own way, and take as long as you need. If you do need people to talk to, I'm sure most people here would be happy to listen.

And losing a cat can be devastating, because they become your family, y'know?

Oh and that guy talking about his parents dying in response to what you said...that was a little OTT from that dude, I'm sorry for his loss, but why did he think it was appropriate to bring that up?
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 13 Aug 2014, 09:22

Merry, everything I'm hearing sounds like people trying to relate to you by sharing their stories of loss, and maybe comfort you by telling you it gets better with time. Maybe they didn't go about it the best way, but I don't think they meant any harm by it.

auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 13 Aug 2014, 13:21

My wrist is killing me, and it's my dominant hand, too. It's pretty much unusable right now. No, I don't know why. OW, DAMMIT! :(
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Aug 2014, 15:25

I noticed that when you're going through grief and mourning, you perceive the universe in a different light. Which means people saying stupid things can have catastrophic affects.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 13 Aug 2014, 17:14

I'm not 100% certain that the urban myth that 'dogs can't look up' is garbage, but do you know what I AM 100% certain about?

HUMANS FUCKING WELL NEVER DO! Even when everything they need to know is right there, at a comfortable 20-degree up inclination...
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 13 Aug 2014, 17:50

Fayili wrote:I just... I am a very good worker. I will work efficiently, quickly, and hard. I have in the past come up with ways to improve my working process, and I'm certain I can do it again. I am good at what I do. But I have no idea how to market myself.

Bluh.

I hear ya. If it helps at all, it's not you, it's the fact that there's probably 90 other good workers applying for the same job, and it is very, very hard to stand out in that. No exaggeration--I've talked to several different people who've been hiring, and several times now I've heard the 90-100+ figure for job applicants. And that's just in my field, where a post-grad degree is...if probably not strictly necessary, then certainly very, very desired and used to filter out applicants. I can't remember, are you looking for the library field too? I...hope it's better out West, but...over here, I've been out of school for 2 years and still looking for either full-time or a second part time job in my field, and almost every time I talk to people already in the field they tell me just how many years it took them to find their position. (But fortunately for them, they'd almost always had some other career to fall back on, so...yay for them?) You'll get there. You really will. And it is not something you are or are not doing wrong, and there are a lot of people going through it with you.

Merrymaker, if you ever want to vent about your cat, feel free to pm me. Trust me, I UNDERSTAND that.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 13 Aug 2014, 23:27

empath wrote:I'm not 100% certain that the urban myth that 'dogs can't look up' is garbage, but do you know what I AM 100% certain about?

HUMANS FUCKING WELL NEVER DO! Even when everything they need to know is right there, at a comfortable 20-degree up inclination...

Where do these myths even come from? Yesterday someone told me that rats don't have bladders. First off, that makes zero sense. Secondly, I work with rats. If they didn't have bladders they would pee pretty much all the time, which they don't. It doesn't even make sense from an evolutionary perspective.

"Dogs can't look up"? My dog looks up at me all the time, and up at the sky when something catches his interest.

Sigh.

My new vent:

Reading the news is scary, man. Was just catching up on the whole Ferguson, MO situation. I'm going to go hide under my bed now.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Aug 2014, 02:29

Timelady wrote:Merrymaker, if you ever want to vent about your cat, feel free to pm me. Trust me, I UNDERSTAND that.

Thank you for the offer. I'm good right now. Just someone's post in this thread reminded me of that event. I also came across someone's memorial to the passing of their cat, and the similarities (time of death being the exact year and month) shock me to remember.
I think I must still carry it with me, even if things have gotten a lot better (getting another cat of a different personality has helped). Just, I know in the future the wound will be opened up again and I think I will need a place to dispense my experiences. On that day I will take up your very kind offer. I'm grateful. <3

(I don't think I will ever forget my cat lying on her side, and me constantly stroking her as she slowly passed. I also will never want to...)
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 14 Aug 2014, 02:38

auberginequeen wrote:
empath wrote:I'm not 100% certain that the urban myth that 'dogs can't look up' is garbage, but do you know what I AM 100% certain about?

Where do these myths even come from? Yesterday someone told me that rats don't have bladders. First off, that makes zero sense. Secondly, I work with rats. If they didn't have bladders they would pee pretty much all the time, which they don't. It doesn't even make sense from an evolutionary perspective.

"Dogs can't look up"? My dog looks up at me all the time, and up at the sky when something catches his interest.

Sigh.

That and my girlfriend's dog sure as hell rubbernecks my pizza.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Aug 2014, 02:56

Dogs need the ability to look up so they can see THE BIG SCARY AERIAL PREDATOR.

Granted an adult Greyhound is safe. But a pug would probably make a good meal for some bird of prey.

Return to “General Discussion”