Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Wylee_Coyote
First Video: Unskippable: Front Mission Evolved

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Wylee_Coyote » 01 Sep 2014, 13:29

empath wrote:I prefer *stabbity-stab*, myself...but then, I work in a kitchen, and cut open bags of frozen food with a big, sharp knife. *sighs with satisfaction*

Remind me not to pester you in the kitchen! O.o

empath wrote:Oh, and the dude's drunk - his perception and judgement are SUPPOSED to be grossly impaired. At least he is trying to get a cab, rather than drive his own car home (which he's convinced he is perfectly capable of operating safely in his circumstances at the time), but yeah what he sees as 'amicable' is gonna be a LITTLE skewed, just like his motor coordination. :(

Stipulated - I'm glad he wasn't in a car too. But waiting your turn for things you want is something most people learn in kindergarten. Other people, just as drunk, were able to manage it, which is why the line was full. If the guy regresses that far when he drinks, he should probably drink less.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 01 Sep 2014, 13:51

This could go in the depression thread, but it also fits here, so seeing as this is the thread furthest up on the page I'll post here.

Had a problem for a long time of wanting to do something, but being at a loss as to what that 'something' is. I used to get it quite frequently, but I haven't for at least 3 months or so, but now I feel like it again, and I just... urgh. I just end up sitting here, staring at my desk and screen because I'm just incapable of working up the energy or motivation to do anything. This post is about the only thing I've been able to do, and ... yeah.

Fuck my brain
Hurp-De-Durp!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Sep 2014, 14:01

Be nice if I could focus on what I have gained, as oppose to what I have lost.

Just what I lost (someone for the time being) is someone who could be a soul mate (someone who is almost like a physical copy of you personality-wise and mental-wise), and gained the company of some people I like. I'm not sure if the scales are balanced.
I miss my "brother" who I didn't know I had.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 01 Sep 2014, 16:05

Wylee_Coyote wrote:
empath wrote:I prefer *stabbity-stab*, myself...but then, I work in a kitchen, and cut open bags of frozen food with a big, sharp knife. *sighs with satisfaction*

Remind me not to pester you in the kitchen! O.o

Bah; don't worry about it, the worst I'd do is cut open a few bags of taters or wings (until recently, I used to rip 'em open with my bare hands: grasp it at just the right spot below the sealed end, and pull with just enough force to break the plastic below (since the seal is STRONGER and will provide an 'anchor' to pull against) yet not so much force that food goes flying - I was really good at it. Thanks for the arthritis, mom. :P

The few occasions I use a knife are to joint a chicken...make a shallow slit down the breast to separate the skin, then firm pressure down one side of the keel like a cleaver to chop through the cartilage, then two quick chops either size of the spine, and you've got two half-chickens, and if you need quarters, the only thing holding the thigh to the breast now is a layer of skin so you can just pull them apart.

Yeah...if I were to ever kill someone, I don't think I'd ever be so cowardly and impersonal as to use a gun; either a decent length of blade to get between the ribs and stop the heart, strong enough to sever the spine up at C2. Either that or 'the Segal Special' and again, turn the lights off quickly and painlessly.

...I think my vent is that I've seriously thought about the most humane way to extinguish a human life in a rather detached and clinical manner. :shock:

Yeah, so my wife asked me to check a spot on her side, which lead to me putting my warm hands on cold spots (her elbows, for example), and us hugging affectionately. And since I was sitting and her standing, as we were just moving to 'de-couple', she commented totally nonchalantly "You know, when I hug you like that with your head in my arms, I think about how I could just snap your neck...but I don't do it." Match made in heaven; two peas in a pod. :lol:

empath wrote:Oh, and the dude's drunk - his perception and judgement are SUPPOSED to be grossly impaired. At least he is trying to get a cab, rather than drive his own car home (which he's convinced he is perfectly capable of operating safely in his circumstances at the time), but yeah what he sees as 'amicable' is gonna be a LITTLE skewed, just like his motor coordination. :(

Stipulated - I'm glad he wasn't in a car too. But waiting your turn for things you want is something most people learn in kindergarten. Other people, just as drunk, were able to manage it, which is why the line was full. If the guy regresses that far when he drinks, he should probably drink less.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with you there, but I find the key to dealing with a person is understanding 'where they're coming from' and how they feel/think - if you can grok that, you can predict how they'll respond to actions, and then you can work out what you want to say and do to get them to respond in the way you WANT. In this (belated) case, if he's worried about you "not being amicable", he might have been worried about upsetting you or even causing a scene altogether; in the circumstances, I probably would've tried responding to him with conciliatory things to dispel any anxiety or ire he might have had building, and subtly work in that since his jumping the queue was the source of me losing my 'amicability', he could help things out by waiting his turn. (again, using supportive, positive tones and choices of phrases and terms to try to spin things to a beneficial resolution.

...of course, I'm saying this with the benefit of both a day or two of hindsight, and second-hand 'armchair quarterback' position. ;)

Deedles wrote:This could go in the depression thread, but it also fits here, so seeing as this is the thread furthest up on the page I'll post here.

Had a problem for a long time of wanting to do something, but being at a loss as to what that 'something' is. I used to get it quite frequently, but I haven't for at least 3 months or so, but now I feel like it again, and I just... urgh. I just end up sitting here, staring at my desk and screen because I'm just incapable of working up the energy or motivation to do anything. This post is about the only thing I've been able to do, and ... yeah.

Fuck my brain

You're not alone - I'm getting off a three-day weekend where I've had big plans to do things; accomplish things, start things...

...and here it is at 9pm on the 3rd day and I've done two things: 1) jack and b) squat. :(
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 01 Sep 2014, 16:36

Ah yes, the delicate balance of what I want and what everybody else wants. How I long for you.
Wylee_Coyote
First Video: Unskippable: Front Mission Evolved

Postby Wylee_Coyote » 01 Sep 2014, 20:40

empath wrote:.of course, I'm saying this with the benefit of both a day or two of hindsight, and second-hand 'armchair quarterback' position. ;)

Yeah, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. :)

And I should note that the story ended more or less as you suggested (though with a bit more tension). But that's not the part I was venting about. ;)
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 02 Sep 2014, 04:29

empath wrote:
Deedles wrote:This could go in the depression thread, but it also fits here, so seeing as this is the thread furthest up on the page I'll post here.

Fuck my brain

You're not alone - I'm getting off a three-day weekend where I've had big plans to do things; accomplish things, start things...

...and here it is at 9pm on the 3rd day and I've done two things: 1) jack and b) squat. :(

Yeah, I had some time over and wanted to either work on the story of something I want to make into a comic, or do some studying, but I couldn't find the focus to, I couldn't even find the energy to look up a video to watch. Ended with my hubby dragging me over to the couch to watch a movie with him, so that I was doing something at least.
Hurp-De-Durp!
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 04 Sep 2014, 05:47

After getting up at 7 am two days in a row to attend lengthy orientation sessions I finally had the opportunity to sleep in today.

Today was also the day that the guy contracted to mow the grass in my complex came in... at 8 am.

He's still mowing, nearly two hours later.

Ugh.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 04 Sep 2014, 06:10

my day off.

zyxst had a doctor's appointment for 8:30am :?

set the alarm for 7am as usual... Image

was able to borrow the car from me pa, but he wanted me to be back by 10:30.

did the doctor thing, dropped off the prescription, went to the supermarket at around 9:30...quickly went through the store and got what we could...

...and got stuck at the checkout of the slowest cashier I've seen in decades.

spent 15min waiting behind one other customer.

went back to the pharmacy to pick up the prescription, parking lot blocked by a douchebag in the middle of the 'road' waiting for some geriatric to get to their car, struggle into their car, get set up and put stuff away, then pull out of the parking spot he wanted. let the wife go with the health plan p/x card and the debit card, he shifted enough to let me pass, I drove on, found an open parking spot (plenty if he didn't want to park in the narrow bottleneck by the entrance), parked, walked and entered the p/x before he was finished parking.

it was 10:45 by the time I'd dropped off the wife and the groceries and returned the car...and he didn't seem to mind. :|

There's that, I guess - worst thing I can say is I 'wasted a good worry over nothing.' ;)
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 05 Sep 2014, 18:30

I am too goddamn Canadian nice. And because of this, I got to stay an extra 4 hours (after my 7 hour shift) at work on what was apparently the hottest day of the summer this year. The kicker, I work in a kitchen. A very busy restaurant kitchen. And we got slammed. For the first time in about 4 weeks we were busy.

Even better? I get to do a 12 hour shift tomorrow! With a 1 hour break.

And icing on the cake? It'll be 2 days in a row I don't get to see my babies. I was planning on tucking them in tonight, but my fiancée wouldn't play along and say I needed to be home. :x
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 05 Sep 2014, 19:21

That's one of the downsides to Canadian Politeness™: not everyone has gotten the memo. :(

Stay safe, MinniChi. Don't want you getting heatstroke. Tomorrow should be milder, though.

*hugs*
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 05 Sep 2014, 20:02

Soooooo, this isn't a vent per se but...
I've started a diet like a few weeks ago and was determined to follow it through. So far so good, haven't strayed from the diet so much that I'd feel guilty about myself. But the thing is.... I'm hungry all the fucking time. And the last time I dieted the hunger eventually passed and I actually enjoyed eating better and healthier. This time nooooo... my body is refusing the diet and making me hungry all the time. And the diet isn't even that strict!
The fact of the matter is, I'm not even weighting myself to see if there's any progress being made. I'm just scared of the diet not working so I keep on dieting without keeping tabs on the progress...
In short, pandas be dumb.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Sep 2014, 01:21

Does the diet allow you to eat an infinite amount of X?

Do be aware that fullness is kinda complex. There's a delay of when you're stomach is full and when you feel it.
There's also the size of your stomach which does change depending on the quantity of food you usually eat (shrinks if you eat little, grows if you eat a lot).
Also sustainability of the food. Also activity you're doing during the day.

I apologize if this is information you already know.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 06 Sep 2014, 02:42

Try eating more protein Vis, that helps you feel fuller.

My opinion on diets is that the only major dietary restriction anyone needs is to eat little to no sugar, particularly no glucose or sucrose, as they create LDL cholesterol. Unfortunately, chocolate exists, so this is something to which I aspire, but do not necessarily stick.

So, poach an egg, grill bacon, bake some fish? Just don't go full Atkins, ketogenic diets aren't particularly good for your heart.

Also, exercise! Lovely stuff, generates delicious brain chemicals, boosts the immune system (chunky T cells get stuck in nooks and crannies, exercise literally shakes them loose) boosts metabolism, develops muscles that make life easier in general, all positive.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Sep 2014, 03:10

I tend to stick to the Ben Goldacre school of diet: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 07 Sep 2014, 17:52

Thank you guys for your advice! :D
I'm trying to eat more fruit than I did and more veggies and fish once a week. Hmm, the weekends are... erratic. I don't always follow the diet on the weekends (I fail) And in the mornings and afternoons I eat fat free yogurt and fruit.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 08 Sep 2014, 11:35

I am such an idiot!! Argh!!!
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Sep 2014, 11:45

Tell me about it. I know that feel just about every day.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 10 Sep 2014, 13:10

You know what's really a weird mix of frustrating, hilarious, and incredibly depressing? Watching someone argue on the internet who honestly believes in multiple conspiracies and is super religious. I don't mean he's just 'well, I believe in god/the bible/religious teachings' religious. That's overall fine and not anything I have a problem with in of itself. I mean "I honestly think that Satan and his followers are trying to take over the world, create one world religion, all with grounding in the occult." That's almost word-for-word something the person said. All while demanding that everyone else prove him wrong on the matter. It's worth noting that proving something like that doesn't exist is virtually impossible due to the fact that... well, it doesn't exist.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Sep 2014, 15:16

Or, even on the hypothetical assumption it did exist, it's asking to prove Satan, a supernatural being, not only exists, but is also behind it. That would also be impossible.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 10 Sep 2014, 15:37

Right. It's pretty much him saying 'you can't prove me wrong, so I'm right.' Ignoring the fact there's literally no way to completely prove he is wrong.

On the plus side, this whole thing has made me rewatch The Zoo Race and The You Testimate episode of Watch+Play.
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 11 Sep 2014, 10:52

well, the internet is not the place to go for original insults...
Hurp-De-Durp!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Sep 2014, 11:33

I find the more I stay away from places where opinions can be shared on the internet, the happier I am.
I'm meant to read other opinion's to broaden my understanding and perhaps see things in a new light. Sadly most of the time, it drags me down. For the sake of my soul I have to avoid these.
CSt
First Video: cHustle: Arms Race

Postby CSt » 11 Sep 2014, 12:03

Burden of proof: You want to use an argument, you proof it to be right, not the other way around.
poopintheairtonight
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby poopintheairtonight » 11 Sep 2014, 12:11

Somehow my dad approves of my sister, who is under the legal drinking age getting drunk with friends on their birthday, but if I, who am of the legal drinking age have a glass of wine I have a problem.

This from a man with three bottles of whiskey in his underwear drawer.
Well, do you want an ethical solution or an effective one?

Return to “General Discussion”