Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Kapol » 11 Sep 2014, 15:10

CSt wrote:Burden of proof: You want to use an argument, you proof it to be right, not the other way around.

That's pretty much what I put down. I gave a link to the logical fallacy of Burden of Proof and the explanation of what it was.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 12 Sep 2014, 10:04

There was a house spider crawling up my chair.

I generally leave little crawlies alone if they don't pose a threat to me (versus, say, mosquitoes) so I let it climb onto my leg.

I figured it would finds its way eventually.

A few minutes later I got a twinge in my neck. The bastard bit me.

So I squished it reflexively and threw its tiny body into the trash can.

I'm not mad, so much as disappointed. :(
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Sep 2014, 19:25

Yeah, had a mouse get caught on one of our glue-traps yesterday. It's getting colder and wetter, so they're gonna wanna get inside somewhere, and there's SOME opening somewhere that's letting them in...

And, interestingly, we found a cardboard box of packaged cheese that the inside of the box was ripped up into shreds of nesting material - the animal didn't get into the cheese, but managed to squeeze into the box and then pull and tear up the inner layer of cardboard to make a nest. (fwiw, rodent's DON'T get attracted to cheese...except maybe the more pungent ones, perhaps...what they subsist on is GRAINS - flour, rice, bread, etc. - these are foodstuffs that you need to put in strong sealed containers.

In other news, that was the most uncomfortable stream I've watched; even Cam getting terse and bloody-minded determined to outdo the cheating AI wasn't upsetting me as much as watching Alex just get angrier and angrier. And I know he enjoys being scared, startled and upset, and all the 'oh HELL NO!!!' ranting and raving aren't as sincere as it seems, but it just truly displeased me to watch it; I was having NO fun at all; plenty of times in 'spoopy games' he's been nervous and then spooked and start 'frightened laughing', but this was just anger and ire... :(
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 12 Sep 2014, 20:37

For what it's worth, after you left he explained that he reacts like that as a sort of coping mechanism.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 Sep 2014, 23:37

I have social anxiety.
I find it difficult to communicate with others unless I have a very close relationship.

So being told that I am too blunt or direct or any other negative feedback, doesn't help me at all with my confidence. Why, of course, I'll just slink further into my shell as to avoid hurting anymore people.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 13 Sep 2014, 00:24

I may have lost my mobile phone.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Cybertrash
First Video: Bros Clubbing Bros

Postby Cybertrash » 15 Sep 2014, 07:57

Fuck this stupid fucking inbred farmer country. Far-right racist party the "Swedish Democrats" got 13% in the general elections, they're now the third largest party.
empath

Postby empath » 15 Sep 2014, 12:21

Guess I've lived long enough...
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Sep 2014, 12:22

I'm overdue, then.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 15 Sep 2014, 15:59

A lot of things are bugging me right now, so here's a rapidfire vent.

I hate that I have to leave half an hour earlier than usual for morning shifts at work to avoid commute traffic because I don't like being awake at 5am, much less out of the house.

I hate that I got catcalled walking to my car at 5am.

I hate that I feel underpaid. Because I feel like an asshole for wanting more money. I feel like it's unfair to the clients and unfair to people in other industries, than whom I am already more well-paid.

I hate that all of my vents today are petty shit that real adults just deal with.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 16 Sep 2014, 04:52

Finger pointing as to who is to blame for shit doesn't have a place in politics, isn't fucking primary school behaviour!
Hurp-De-Durp!
auberginequeen

Postby auberginequeen » 16 Sep 2014, 13:55

You can't force someone into something and then go, "Gee, I sure hope they're happy, I care so much about them. :)"

If you truly gave a shit you'd fucking ask them what they want, not just pressure them into whatever you think they should be doing and hope for the best.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 17 Sep 2014, 09:44

I've got three hours of nothing waiting for a class at uni because the professor from a subject I'm only taking to stay busy until the other (and more important) class of the day arrives, decided not to give a damn and skip class altogether. And we had a presentation today, too. Well, fuck you asshole!
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 17 Sep 2014, 09:49

My 5 year old brought home a cold, gave it to his baby brother, his step-dad and me. And I'm the last one to get it. :(
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Sep 2014, 11:13

I'm being tested. I might actually get angry for the first time in almost a month.

Working out Bus Pas costs, my Mum using that tone of voice that grates me. My frustration at heavy Plumbing theory. Anger begins to exist again.
empath

Postby empath » 17 Sep 2014, 12:04

Six days down...one more to go...but I'm getting a cold and I seem to be getting 'worn out' earlier and earlier in my shift.

Oh, and other people are letting us down; 3 people calling in sick (valid or faked doesn't really change things on our side) in as many days. I suppose the blame rests with management in that the schedule is so 'pared back' that one person not being there really cripples us...
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Sep 2014, 12:47

Got a sudden burst of frustration over the irony of being a web artist.

You are a web artist that gets no traffic. You need money.
You can easily get traffic by producing fan art. People like fan art. They like it a lot more than your own original work.
But you cannot monitise fan art at all, because that's illegal, or best case scenario, really murky.
So you can scream for attention by producing fan art which you cannot make a living off in hope people see your original work and want to buy it.
But barely anyone will bother to see what else you've done. They see your single piece of fan art and move on silently.

Time spent producing fan art is time spent that could be doing original art that can be monetized.

Time spent ranting about it could be spent doing original art work that can be monetized.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Sep 2014, 14:26

So someone broke into my PayPal account and stole the money for Alex's dress. :(
I went through all the "change everything" stuff and called PayPal and such. I'll get the money back within 10 days.

But the fact that it happened at all leaves me pissed... The extra money may have been donated to charity, so it's stealing from the needy... And they left me with $0.74, which is just the insult to injury. :evil:
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 21 Sep 2014, 12:03

My shoulder is absolutely killing me. I can't even tilt my head back without the muscles on my back screaming in agony...
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
auberginequeen

Postby auberginequeen » 22 Sep 2014, 06:38

I keep waking up in the morning unable to walk properly because my legs won't bend all the way. I guess this is what people call "stiffness"? I call it "big, invisible rubber bands keeping my knees bent"

Anyway, it sucks. Come on, legs, we got shit to do.
empath

Postby empath » 22 Sep 2014, 07:17

Yeah; I refer to it as 'tin man syndrome' - I do find that stretching and exercising keeps it at bay (during my 'staycation' I've been sitting at this computer for far too long and finding I positively creak just getting up and getting some water).

One simple thing you may wanna try is - when still in bed, curl up into a ball; bring your knees up to your chest, flexing the joints as much as you can, before you try straightening them out.

Does the stiffness get worse in humid weather? Notice inflammation in the knee joints? They feel hot? Your family have a history of arthritis?

But don't worry, even if it IS rheumatoid arthritis, it's probably gonna be a decade or more before that stiffness gets painful or other joints join in...
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 22 Sep 2014, 15:15

Trying to work out how to get a work visa for the US is really hard. I can't tell if my education and my qualifications would allow me to apply and successful.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 23 Sep 2014, 08:46

Elomin Sha wrote:Trying to work out how to get a work visa for the US is really hard. I can't tell if my education and my qualifications would allow me to apply and successful.

Not sure if this would be the same for the USA, but if you've had a job offer in the UK, you can get a UK work visa more easily.

In other words, if you can prove in your application that you've got a job, or very likely to get one (subject to a visa), that has been confirmed by the potential employer it may make the application easier. It's likely that this will be a requirement in order to gain a work visa.

The other criteria that is often looked at is if you can support yourself, or you have someone who could support you. So if you can provide a bank statement to show you have enough money to cover a few months rent, or you are able to show that you are able to live with someone.

Also, as long as you have a clean criminal record and not a member of any 'controversial' groups, then you should also be okay.

This might not have helped all that much, but I hope it gives you an idea on what to do.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
empath

Postby empath » 23 Sep 2014, 09:44

Yeah, that's a lot of accurate and helpful advice I'd have given if I'd seen this sooner. :oops:

Now, it might be a bit of a hassle for your potential employer to 'sponsor' you in this way; they might have to undergo scrutiny and interview to assure that they legitimately want to hire you, and aren't just trying to help you 'skip the line' for getting into the country. Shouldn't be an issue if you are going internationally for a specific job.

Also the 'have money or someone who can support you' boils down to 'if things fall through, you're not going to be a drain on our social services. Sorry, but ultimately that "give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses yearning to be free." bit is just lip service nowadays; immigration ain't cheap. :(
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Sep 2014, 09:50

I have no potential employer at the moment. Which is a big mark against me.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.

Return to “General Discussion”