Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Prospero101 » 27 Sep 2014, 08:37

I'm not saying that the social experiment is a bad idea. Absolutely not. I'm just saying...well..."you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I read about one experiment where a group of people were instructed to bounce a basketball back and forth. Then a guy in a gorilla suit walked into the room and just milled about. Nobody noticed.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Sep 2014, 09:22

There was one where a person was told to wait in a waiting room (amongst actors). They were told to fill in a long form in.

Sometime in, smoke starts coming into the room from under a door.

The actors were told to not react.
The experiment was to see if the subject would react.

The subject noticed, looked around at everyone else and stayed in their seat.

Power of peer pressure.
-
OT I had rage today. yay.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 27 Sep 2014, 09:59

Prospero101 wrote:I'm not saying that the social experiment is a bad idea. Absolutely not. I'm just saying...well..."you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I read about one experiment where a group of people were instructed to bounce a basketball back and forth. Then a guy in a gorilla suit walked into the room and just milled about. Nobody noticed.

Slight adjustment to that: the people bouncing the ball were actors and knew about the gorilla suit. The people watching the video, however, were asked simply to count the number of times a certain ball was bounced- and they got so engrossed on that they didn't notice the gorilla
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 27 Sep 2014, 10:19

Prospero101 wrote:I'm not saying that the social experiment is a bad idea. Absolutely not. I'm just saying...well..."you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Oh, I know that's not what you meant, that's why I agreed with your post. Just felt like sharing an example of a social experiment I thought was done right since I'd happened to see one today. ^^
Hurp-De-Durp!
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 27 Sep 2014, 23:03

I really think I should not of come to this country. @1 week, have to go to hospital in the middle of the night pissing blood and in excruciating pain to find I have a kidney stone. @1 month break a tooth eating some pringles and now need a dentist...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 30 Sep 2014, 17:31

I was away from work for one week and everything went to shit.

I SHOULD be flattered that everyone depends on me, but I've only worked two days and already I'm starting to fantasize about getting maimed in a car accident and unable to subject myself to the stress and aggravation there. :(

I was supposed to work 2pm to 10pm tonite; clocked out at 10:45pm and I still had to leave some regular clean-up things undone. The reason I fell so far behind is that I had to fix shit that got screwed up by someone else NOT DOING THEIR JOB.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Oct 2014, 12:41

Got a missed call on Skype from Spanish friend. This was two days ago.
I don't remember what I was doing.

I don't know if it was an accident (accidental calling) or if he really want to speak vocally.

Kinda annoyed with myself that on Monday I didn't check Skype. I sometimes sign in just to see if he tries to communicate. The irony.

Sent a message asking if he's ok. Now being twat and restlessly waiting on a reply. I'm not used to people trying to Skype me. Last person was this very over eager sixteen year old.

I'm trying to think what I was even doing on Monday besides being friend-sick (which is another irony).

My life feels like it's full of comical or heartwarming coincidences.
empath

Postby empath » 02 Oct 2014, 01:41

After a week's 'staycation', and then a week of just eveniing shifts, I'm up at 7am to go into work bright and early.

I feel like a reanimated corpse. My arhtritis is in full flare up, my neck is killing me, and it's like I didn't get any sleep at all.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Oct 2014, 09:43

I missed reading the message they sent immediately after the miss call. Because I am dumb.
It explained what happened.
empath

Postby empath » 02 Oct 2014, 11:34

So I managed to stumble throgh my work; people from the head office were impressed with how the deli looked (they apparently were checking something about our cheese 'offering' or something...

...and surprise! The internal Food Safety inspector sprung on us - felt kinda smug as everyone else panicked (why? you were already doing 110% to clean up and look good for the Head Office people...).

It's a new person; I'd actually gotten pretty good friends with the old head of Food Safety for our region, but it seems I'll get along great with this new guy, too. :)

Of course, I finally WOKE UP properly around 2pm. :P

Now, my neck still aches, my hip and both knees are throbbing (it's cold), my back has the usual 'work strain' ache, and I'm still a little sleepy. But dammit, zyxst and I *ARE* going out for supper, dammit! Even if I need crutches!
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Postby cuddlyblade » 03 Oct 2014, 02:13

Huh apparently even though I give 50% of the admittedly limited amount of money I get from my government I'm not entitled to have a shower that lasts longer than 3min. WTF.
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
leapy
First Video: One of the old ENN ones, it was ages ago

Postby leapy » 03 Oct 2014, 06:01

So I finally got to university (10 years after I should've gone!) and things are going pretty great except for a few small issues, they are as follows:

2 days ago I took part in a taster session for the canoe and kayaking club. All was going well until I capsized and lost my glasses over the side. Cue running to Specsavers the next morning and having having to drop far too much money on a pair of specs.

I'm currently trying to DL and install Autodesk Inventer and the bastard just WONT WORK.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 03 Oct 2014, 15:12

Great! You loved me in the interview, you think I'd be great in the position, and...

You don't get back to me for weeks (despite my calling several times) only to tell me almost a month later that the job went to someone in-house who applied at the last minute.

This has happened no less than four times.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 03 Oct 2014, 21:02

I hate that I focus on the negative of pretty much everything rather than the positive. This, of course, includes myself. Leading to a bunch of self-esteem issues and generally feeling like shit.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Oct 2014, 01:22

Kapol wrote:I hate that I focus on the negative of pretty much everything rather than the positive. This, of course, includes myself. Leading to a bunch of self-esteem issues and generally feeling like shit.

Try keeping a diary where at the end of the day you note down 3 or 5 good things that happened that day.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 04 Oct 2014, 18:23

I can find good things about stuff. But I focus a lot harder on the negative. I dunno. Maybe I'll try it, I just don't know if it'd help.
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 04 Oct 2014, 18:31

I can see having something that you can look back on where you recount the positive things you experienced or did as helpful, at the very least. I don't think it'd always help(at least it wouldn't always help me when I'm at my lowest), but every little bit helps, yeah?
Hurp-De-Durp!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Oct 2014, 00:53

It's like a small step towards being able to oversee the whole picture, as opposed to the picture that one tends to focus on.

I myself focus on things that I have lost or I lack (objects or certain people). As a result I lose track of what I actually do have (friends, family, a house, food, not-war-torn environment, not-disease-ridden environment, no impending threat of death, financial almost okish etc).

I can list all the goodthings I have. But my mind is still: "I wish I had a better PC", "I wish I had a Nintendo 3DS capture card", "I wish my friend who I get on bery bery well with wasn't in Spain" etc.

My mind knows this. But heart does not. My heart is still qqing.

Perhaps this knowledge of you're not being the only one offers some comfort?
empath

Postby empath » 05 Oct 2014, 15:01

So the wife and I are at our respective computers, on two adjoining sides of 'the den', her watching a stream, and me fiddling through youtube to find something to listen to while I fidget in Minecraft...

...and I hear a rustling; I check over my shoulder, and she's not moving papers or anything.

Damn, another mouse; I take off the headphones and start scanning around the room behind me, and some more rustling makes me narrow to a tv tray-table where we've got a package of tortillas and a loaf of bread; I start toward it, and see the little bugger wriggle down one of the metal legs, then race out of the room and I lost him down the hall - think he got into the workroom.

I didn't bother chasing him, because I realized the fairly new loaf of bread had a couple of egg-sized holes in it, and the heel was half-eaten. *plonk of loaf in sealed trash can*

A free-standing metal table with smooth pipes for legs. lrrEFF

The landlord's still out at their cabin, and we can't afford a professional exterminator, and they don't seem to be going for the bait-glue traps (they smell like peanut butter; they were catching them at first).

I just don't know what to do anymore...
empath

Postby empath » 06 Oct 2014, 02:49

Different day, different vent:

I am just a giant, ambulatory bag of blood.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 06 Oct 2014, 19:17

Another vent: Time for me to go to my doctor to get this bump in my back dealt with. It's gotten kind of huge without me realizing it. Also, it's right on my spine. So... yay.
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 06 Oct 2014, 22:33

If I hear one more jerk-off throw around the word 'ethics' when they have no clue to the meaning of the word then I don't even know what I'll do, feeling about ready to go smash my own face into a wall to get rid of the memories of the stupid, because it hurts.
Hurp-De-Durp!
empath

Postby empath » 07 Oct 2014, 04:21

Kapol - hard, rigid lump, or does it have any give?

Back in my 20's I'd gotten a lipoma that had calcified and was right in dipped-in curve of my back - it'd actually attached itself to my spine, and by the time I got it checked out, I had a weal of bruised skin and flesh on my back around the size of a hen's egg where the lump was rubbing against chairs and 'pinching' the tissue between.

It ended up a pretty routine outpatient surgery; local, lying on my stomach for a while, a brief tugging sensation and then a couple of weeks being careful with the stitches. Now I've got a rather ugly two-inch long scar across my back - the scar was smaller, but over the years my skin has stretched. :roll:

I've got another lipoma that showed up in my teens, but this one is just on the surface of my biceps, and it doesn't bump anything or cause any problems, so it's not worth the hassle to get cut out - it's calcified into a dead lump, and will never spread or anything, so I just leave it there, just under the skin.

But yeah, you wanna get your lump checked out, at the very least.
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 07 Oct 2014, 05:33

That's just reminded me of the lump behind my right ear. It's been sitting there for a few years, not doing anything. I did get it checked out not long after it appeared; swollen lymph node and nothing to worry about, apparently.

That said, I'm not sure that's the case anymore. I've been having problems on the right side of my face for a while. Most notably, where one of my wisdom teeth used to be, and around my right eye. It sometimes feels like something's squeezing my eye, and it seems to also be affecting my vision. The blood vessels around my temple are inflamed as well.

I'll be trying to get a scan scheduled tomorrow. Hopefully that will reveal what this is, unlike the last few appointments (GP, optomertrist, dentist, eye surgeon, ENT). I just want to get rid of it, whatever it is. It can get quite distracting at times.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
empath

Postby empath » 07 Oct 2014, 06:34

That's the thing to remember with these pretty benign tumors that mother nature tries out her 572,293,190th evolutionary 'trick' with; as long as they're well-defined, don't interfere with anything, and don't change, you can leave them be.

...but if they start to grow, or turn a different color, or they DO ANYTHING, it's time to check it out with a medical professional. Like that lipoma on my arm - a couple of years ago, I noticed a little scab on the skin over it, so I spoke with my family doctor and got a referral to a dermatologist; he checked it, and confirmed that it was fine, and inert, but still checked with me if I wanted to get it removed. Because of the confirmation on it's harmlessness, I decided to let it be; I've got enough scars (most from having various lumps removed) as it is. :)

Return to “General Discussion”