Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Dec 2014, 07:07

Paid £7.50 P&P for a £3.50 object that was dispatch within the UK. The box had small damage to it. Kinda annoyed since I had to pay the P&P as it was the only online supplier that was UK based, and I paid for ineffective Packaging.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 11 Dec 2014, 08:47

Alright, assholes, if you keep stating your opinions as fact I am going to fucking despise you. Even if it's an opinion I agree with.

ESPECIALLY if it's an opinion I agree with.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 11 Dec 2014, 13:59

Omega Lairon Productions presents: "Dragon (r)Age" - an epic tragedy in 3 acts.

Act 1
Recently cleared out some of my gaming backlog, so that I could at finally get into Dragon Age 2, in preparation for Inquisition. So I find my old Origins disk and start her up, to make sure the correct/canonical Warden was good to go (yup). And then I notice that it hasn't been connecting through to the "dragon age servers", or whatever specific deal it was using. But that's not so bad, it'll link up via Dragon Age Keep and (retch) Origin, right?

(side note: I have DA-O and 2 on X360, so those games would just be able to communicate via local data storage. But since I switched to PS4 for Inquisition, I figured I'd deal with this stuff pre-emptively)

So, just gotta take the metaphorical dingus up the butt and head over to the origin site and link everything up. Simple right? Well little did I know the magnitude of horse biscuits I was getting into. Actually signing up the account was easy enough, as it should be, but buggered if I could find anywhere on the site to link my XBL and PSN profiles and upload my character properly. A quick search of Origin turned up "no results"... which I've gotta say is an annoyingly frequent occurrence on most websites I go to. Even the most basic terms ("Xbox" "PSN" "account") turned up either nothing, or irrelevant pages.

Naturally, Google gets it it on the first try, because they actually hire competent people. The news is... not super encouraging. "Simply edit your profile using the Origin program". Typical EA, really... taking the worst option for the end user, instead of the blatantly obvious and convenient way, because f*** you. So I sigh and download their terrible malware... it'll only be for maybe 10 minutes tops, then I can uninstall this garbage forever.

So I get the thing installed, log in, and go to the profile section. Evidently, they require you to use a security question to even do anything to your profile... what, is my password not good enough for you? Oh wait, EA... "worst possible option" and all that. Right, f*** me for being a paying customer; how dare I attempt to have fun, etc. So I do what I normally do for security questions - mash the keyboard for a few seconds and just go with that. Screw it, this'll only take a few seconds, and I'll never need to access this horrible program ever again...

"That XBox LIVE account is already connected to another Origin account"

Well... bus.

Act 1 - TL;DR
Wanted to play Dragon Age, had to mess around with (grimace) Origin, only to find out that I already had an old account that was linked to everything.

Act 2
I tried logging into the old account, figuring that there was only a short list of passwords I could have used, and that I'd probably get it on the first few attempts. Well, that didn't happen... but fortunately, even EA isn't stupid or evil enough to forgo the good old "reset my password" option. A short email later, and I was in business... if I could just find anywhere on the account page that would let me "de-link" my accounts so I could use them again for the "proper" Origin address... which I would most likely be deleting at first opportunity anyways, but still. Nor was there an option to merge my 2 accounts into one, or redirect it ala Gmail, but I knew that was a bit of a long shot.

(And no, I couldn't "just use the old account". It was loaded down with old contacts, some still active, but all of which I was keen on keeping as far away from as possible. Bad times, yo. Besides, on the off chance I didn't nuke the other Origin account, it'd all be under the same names and similar passwords as the accounts for sites I actually like.)

So naturally, my searches for "de-link account" turned up nothing within Origin itself. Google, again, came to the bittersweet (mostly bitter) rescue: "No". As far as various help pages and game forums could tell, linking up accounts was pretty damn permanent. Yay. I could, however, delete the old account right now to the same effect... at the cost of all my uploaded saves and a few EA games I had ill-advisedly bought via origin back in the day. Not an insurmountable loss, but one I was hoping to avoid.

Faced with little other option, I turned to live chat tech support... which was actually decently helpful, if a little grammatically suspect (apparently it IS possible to convey a heavy Indian accent through typing. Who knew?). Over the course of 30 minutes or so, I managed to get them to transfer all my accounts to the new profile, delete the old one, and generally get things all neat and ready - the one bright spark in this whole mess.

To verify that everything was properly fixed, I headed over to Dragon Age Keep to check my story so far. I had already played DA2 for, maybe 1 hour at most when it was new, so I still had some saved data. It should be enough to pick up and carry through my stuff from the first game. "Logging in". Ok, so far so good. "Importing saved data from Dragon Age Origins". Alright, finally! It's almost over. "Importing Data From Dragon Age 2". Eh, I can fix that later, once I've actually played it.

"Loading your tapestry".

"No custom heroes found".

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUU-

Act 2 - TL;DR
Migrating from the old account to the new one required live chat support. Got it sorted, went to Dragon Age Keep, and despite recognising my (puke) Origin account and X360 saved game data, no actual/usable data was found.

Act 3
I stared at the "no custom heroes" notifier for what could have been a few dozen bontoons, but was probably closer to about half a minute. It was all gone... the epic journey of an unlikely band of heroic nobodies, and the trials they faced along the way... wiped out, just like that. By this stage it had been a few hours since this whole mess, and I was just completely done with it. I was in no condition to play any form of Dragon Age, or really, much of any other game I was currently wasting time with while waiting for chat support.

Hours later, upon returning from a nice, peaceful walk (...drive. Same difference), I knew what I had to do. If they wanted me to pick some faceless, generic creature and carve them out into a shallow mockery of the true hero of Ferelden, then fine. Screw it. Fortunately, though I hadn't played Origins in years, the game was well crafted and memorable enough that I was able to use their "play the game in yes/no questions form" feature to cobble together a reasonable likeness of my Warden. At least 95% accuracy, I'd say. Not bad. I even resisted the urge to retcon a few unfortunate mistakes that I remembered making. Can't whitewash history, yo.

...Then I continued on to Dragon Age 2, making best guesses at a story based on how I would imagine my version of Hawke would respond. Given very little context for a lot of decisions, I think I managed it pretty well. Of course, I'd much rather prefer playing the game to see what I was actually agreeing to, and maybe finding out the backstory from some of the people I was mindlessly murdering (or saving) with the simple click of a mouse.

With the dark deed done, I could finally look forward to Inquisition... tomorrow. It was already late enough in the day that I figured it would be best to start my new journey with fresh eyes and clear mind. And though I had some slight dread in coming across the soulless actors masquerading as heroes I might otherwise have give a poop about, it wasn't really the end of the world.

Of course, that didn't take away any of the rage I felt for EA, and their idiotic and malicious decision making processes which caused this whole problem. For the sake of a few relatively minor problem fixes (account migration being the big one, or whatever the heck they did to Keep which mangled my save data), I might have been able to enjoy a full and complete gaming experience... but sadly, that was not to be. And they continue to get away with this kind of stuff, because they can, and its incredibly frustrating that there's no real alternatives to dealing with them, aside from "don't buy any of their games"... which are a lot, since they own practically everything.

: (

Act 3 - TL;DR
Decided "screw it", and just used the Dragon Age Keep to make all my game decisions for me. I'll probably never play DA2 ever again. EA sucks.

Denouement
Well, the big day finally arrived. I woke up early to get as much Dragon Age in as I could handle. Started up the PS4 (controller was dead... again. Man, those things have a garbage lifespan)...

"System update required".

Well, that was to be expected. I haven't played recently, so it was bound to happen. Why do we even need so dang many updates anyways? The PS2 never needed updates... time was you could just put a game in and start playing in under a minute. Heck, the old Mega Drive could get you to your game in seconds flat ("blast processing". Oh SEGA, you crazy).

...what the dink is taking this update so long?

50Kb / 420Mb - (30 Hours remaining)

(rage scream)

Hooray for internet data caps, right? Seriously, f*** this country. And it doesn't reset for another 4 days. Yaaaay >_>

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 12 Dec 2014, 02:35

I only moved 300 kg of concrete and gypsum before going to archery practice. Why is my body aching this badly...
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Dec 2014, 06:25

Sure ma'am - I'll just hang up on this customer and their hundred-dollar tray order just to serve your entitled, spoiled-brat ass...

...but guess what? Halfway through serving you, I'm gonna drop you like disco and go serve someone else, too. Sound fair?

FUCK, I hate how god-damned childish our society has gotten.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 12 Dec 2014, 07:50

My biggest gripe with Origin? I have two accounts under two email addresses. And apparently it's not possible to merge them.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
leapy
First Video: One of the old ENN ones, it was ages ago

Postby leapy » 12 Dec 2014, 13:15

You fucking self-righteous, passive aggressive CUNT. Don't you fucking DARE accuse me of not pulling my weight when you assume leadership of a work group and then fail to communicate with me. You didn't tell me that you wanted this done by a certain date, you didn't tell me that you wanted me to do certain things (along with my part of the model). You didn't ask if my work was going to be ready, you just act as if it wasn't and then went ahead and tried to cut me out.

My CAD model is finished, I told you it would be finished by the end of that day and it was, I worked my arse off and then you go and decide to use a different one despite this being GROUP WORK. If you ever talk to me in that condescending tone of voice again I'm going to hack your tongue out with a rusty hacksaw and ram it so far up your backside that it'll get lodged in your esophagus.

Fucking DICKHEAD.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 12 Dec 2014, 14:26

I was invited to attend a "party" with the people from uni I do reasearch with. Fine, that's fine. But! Then the party gets moved to a different day, different time because ONE person can't make it to the other pre-established date and time. Then said person tries to pass it off as if "most of us" had problems with the date we had all agreed on.
(tableflip)
Kortanios
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Kortanios » 12 Dec 2014, 15:47

I will from now on assume complete incompetence from anyone and everyone I deal with when it comes to important stuff. A stupid bussing systems error resulted in one of my referees for several applications not being notified about them, when I try to fix their mistake the same happens again and the bussing people that are responsible for the bussing system to works so that bussing APPLICANTS can bussing APPLY now say it is my bussing responsibility to get a bussing reference from my referee to them through a system that neither my referee nor I can bussing access because of said bussing people operating it apparently being bussing incompetent.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!
Ergo bibamus!
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 12 Dec 2014, 16:32

I'd be excited if someone other than Autism Speaks was talking about finding out the biological causes of Autism, like, someone who gets that you "treat" Autism by making the world fit Autistics better. Not that it's the most urgent thing to spend time and money on or anything, but it would be interesting to see what we could find out. But since it's the world's most prominent anti-Autistic organization behind the project, I'm more worried they're going to try to remove us from the gene pool like it's 1939 and we have the faintest idea what neuropsychiatric conditions do.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 12 Dec 2014, 17:56

After seeing another example of doxxing, I just want to say this:

If you disapprove of doxxing, but not when it's used against someone you don't like, you don't disapprove of doxxing for the right reason.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 13 Dec 2014, 15:14

The amount of times I hear "It's an i7! It MUST be able to play games!" from both customers and staff is fucking heart wrenching.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Dec 2014, 15:35

I might be a stubborn person, but what you say still hurts me.
Just because I ignore what you tell me to do doesn't mean I don't take it personally.

Mother filling my ears with negativity again. This time how I am probably not suited for being a plumber (even though SHE HAS NOT FUCKING SEEN ANY OF MY FUCKING WORK I HAVE FUCKING DONE IN COLLEGE. SO SHE HAS NO GROUNDS TO COMMENT ON WHAT I AM FUCKING DOING FOR MY CAREER. YOU ARE THE FUCKING ONE WHO TOLD ME TO FUCKING GET A JOB BEFORE YOU AND FUCKING DAD FUCKING RETIRE. FUCK OFF WITH YOUR CONTRADICTIONS. FUCK FUCK FUCK)

In short, I need to move out. So my mummy's words at me which sometimes cut will be less frequent.
-
I was telling my mum why I looked so terrible and miserable when I came home (I hate the Welsh countryside during the winter since it's dead, cold and soulless). She replies with "perhaps being at the desk would suit you more than being a plumber". No, that has fucking nothing to do with it. Maybe I really should work in Spain instead. I can get away from her and the depression of Welsh Winters.

Yeah yeah yeah, the mountains look epic with snow on a shit. But when the light goes away, it's soul crushingly bleak. Yeah yeah emotive. Yeah yeah pulls at heart strings. Yes, cos clearly I want to feel shit all the time because I live in landscape that actively destroys you spiritually.

Might look pretty. But imagine actually having to live in that day after day during the autumn and winter months.

Wales. Looks awesome when there's sunlight. Kills you spiritually when there is no sunlight.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 13 Dec 2014, 16:52

It doesn't have to be that the landscape is particularly soul-crushing, but you're not the first person I've heard say that they want to move away because the area around them makes them feel depressed(my hubby for example really doesn't like going back to England to see his family, because the town makes me feel really bad).

EDIT:
What I mean to say is, you're not alone, and if you feel moving to Spain would be good for you then maybe you're right.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Strazdas
First Video: Unskippable: Let's Play series

Postby Strazdas » 14 Dec 2014, 00:03

Omega Lairon wrote:Act 2 - TL;DR
Migrating from the old account to the new one required live chat support. Got it sorted, went to Dragon Age Keep, and despite recognising my (puke) Origin account and X360 saved game data, no actual/usable data was found.

On the bright side, at least Origin has live support that actually helps. If this was a Steam story it would have ended here with "support never responded".
leapy

Postby leapy » 17 Dec 2014, 14:06

So a friend of mine died last night.

He was 18 years old, he took two tablets of what he thought was MDMA and went into cardiac arrest. It seems that his life came down to £15 worth of pills.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Dec 2014, 14:13

Crap, not the smartest thing for them to do, but I'm sorry to hear that happened. Are you okay?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 17 Dec 2014, 16:29

Cannot for the life of me figure out why my HDMI is not working with my monitor.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
leapy

Postby leapy » 17 Dec 2014, 18:14

Elomin Sha wrote:Crap, not the smartest thing for them to do, but I'm sorry to hear that happened. Are you okay?

Yeh, I hadn't known him that long but the potential to be proper friends was there. What gets me is the waste, he was a smart guy, he was 3 months into a MechEng degree. It's all just so fucking *stupid*.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 17 Dec 2014, 18:22

Man, Leapy, I'm really sorry to hear that. I can't imagine what it must be like.

And Darkobra, you seem pretty savvy with these sorts of things, but everyone forgets sometimes... have you tried all the different components in the equation (monitor, cable, video card) with others to isolate which is the issue? (IE different cable, using the same cable and monitor on a different computer, and so on.)
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 17 Dec 2014, 23:48

Two different monitors. Three different cables, one of which was DVI to HDMI to isolate the card not reading HDMI. Tried earlier version of graphics card drivers. Tried a complete clean reinstall of both graphics and monitor drivers. Tried all sorts of combinations of plugging in the HDMI alone and with the DVI. Even tried completely disconnecting the PC and reconnecting it to force it to think and scan for new parts.

But looking up my card, some say it's a graphics card driver issue and many people are having it. Looking up my monitor, people are saying "Fuck Samsung and getting it to work with HDMI."

So I either wait for a new driver or buy a new monitor that isn't Samsung.

And the only reason I want HDMI? It worked briefly and removed the scanlines I was getting in Final Fantasy 14 and that was with the 1/1 refresh rate on to try to force a Vsync.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 18 Dec 2014, 06:32

King Kool wrote:After seeing another example of doxxing, I just want to say this:

If you disapprove of doxxing, but not when it's used against someone you don't like, you don't disapprove of doxxing for the right reason.

So much yes.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 18 Dec 2014, 19:08

Okay, I'm really getting fed up with my jerb.

You asked me if I could come in on my day off to help out - it'd be a short shift (5pm-10pm) and I'd still get to do stuff with my wife and all...

Then that day, at 2pm, you call me up and ask if I can come in at 3pm instead.

So with barely any notice, I now have to get cleaned up and ready for work, shelve some family stuff, and get hold of my folks for a lift to work two hours earlier than they expected.

I get shit when I call in sick the night before about 'not giving you any warning', FUCK YOU; next time I'm ill, I'll come to work anyway, throw up in the sink and then leave - serves you exploitive, treat staff as an expendable resource, bastards right.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 18 Dec 2014, 21:28

I slept for 17 hours today. I went to bed at 1am, and woke up at 6pm. This is after trying to jam my sleep patterns back into place. Took a sleeping pill about 11 to help get to sleep. Then, when I woke up about 9 for the first time, my body basically said "this is when we normally go to sleep. Time to go to sleep." And I fell back asleep. I woke up multiple times after that, still feeling too tired to get up. Plus, I was having dreams. I love dreams. So it was hard to convince myself to get out of bed.

Basically, I'm mr "First-world problems".
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Dec 2014, 04:26

I have an issue with "Motivational Graphics" that get plastered on social networks.

The intent is good. Their intent is to encourage and give strength to others. So why does this bother me?

It sort of encourages a way of thinking that you must be independant and strong and do things yourself and by yourself.

Independance is helpful. It lets you be yourself more. But this whole focus on you being strong ignores the fact that sometimes (if not always) we need help from others. Not all of us are strong and not for all the time. There is no shame in asking for help, and yet many people feel too proud to ask for help. It's as if it's a social sin to be in need of aid. As if it's weak to ask for help.

People are all different. Some bits of advice help others more than others.

These motivational graphics imply that if you're doing shit, it's because you're not doing enough work. You have the strength in you to succeed, so because you're not succeeding keep trying, keep working, eventually it will happen. But if you need to work more. You don't work enough.

That's just me opinion of someone who reads them and thinks "Oh that's great. That... doesn't change things though. I kinda already knew that and in fact I feel kinda patronised now."

If I wanted motivation, I'd rather just someone speak directly to me in text without resorting to copying and pasting a .jpeg.
Last edited by Merrymaker_Mortalis on 19 Dec 2014, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”