Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby empath » 02 Jan 2015, 04:17

I just had a dream about a horrible retail customer service situation so nightmarish it just woke me up. Now I'm in a miserable mood for my day off.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 06 Jan 2015, 20:17

Oh, goddamn this day.

First, my car needs fixing. Got in super early.

Turns out I was half right. It needed to be fixed twice. One of the two fixes got complicated. And I'm stuck here until close. And my phone is dead.

Thank goodness there's a public library in the complex. Only solace I have.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 06 Jan 2015, 20:44

So somehow the cyst on my wrist broke last night, which I assume means I somehow hit it very hard. I honestly have no idea how I broke it this time.
Luckily we have 'support bandages' in our first aid box. On the flip side, I had to work with a support bandage on my wrist all night (if anyone cooks, you know how much you use your hands). Thankfully my boss made some of the salads for me, but I still had to work the fryer and grill without getting the bandage all gross.
Even worse, I almost dropped some plates during service, and couldn't do anything useful during shut-down. :(
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Jan 2015, 03:06

So I hate when people talk to me as if I completely share their life experiences and get every single reference they make implicitly. So, this one person initiates a conversation wondering whether AGDQ would do the jump scroll. (Note: This is also one conversation after this person had to explain what AGDQ was to me after initiating a different reference to it.)

So, wondering if AGDQ would do the jump scroll...

This implies:
That I know what the "jump scroll" is referring to. (Morrowind)
That AGDQ is playing Morrowind.
That I've played Morrowind.
That, on the assumption that I'd played Morrowind, I'd ever encountered this thing.

When confronted with the fact that, no, I hadn't played the game or known the reference, it was explained what it was. When I asked how I was supposed to know this, I got the response that they assumed I knew about it because "everyone played Morrowind."

Um... No... I'm pretty sure 7+ billion people did not play Morrowind, so "everyone" didn't play it. I know I sure didn't.

I wish less people were like that person and more like this.
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 07 Jan 2015, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 07 Jan 2015, 04:34

I haven't played Morrowind either.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Kortanios
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Kortanios » 07 Jan 2015, 09:22

I'm applying to grad school at the moment and I am continually amazed how dysfunctional the automated application systems that universities use are. It's bad enough having to continually haunt your referees o get your references in in time; it is even more fucking aggravating to then find out the email never got sent, having to contact the university by email to resend it, not getting a reply for days, calling them, having them send it again, making sure your referee checks their spam folder for it to then finally get it to be sent. Or in the case of another university getting to the calling them up stage, finding out they can't send the fucking thing again and needing my referee to send them a printed out copy in a sealed envelope stamped by the university.

TLDR: Fuck automated mailing that doesn't work!
Ergo bibamus!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Jan 2015, 10:11

Dangit... I was trying to figure out what was up with getting my severance pay from my former job. My former boss gave me a figure, and I got a direct deposit for a much lower figure. He wasn't sure whether they'd need to do two deposits or what. After a month, I finally get a reply, from the accountant, detailing my final paycheck. Apparently, over 40% of the final paycheck got eaten in taxes! ARG! :evil: Stupid government...

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Jan 2015, 15:12

It's quite frustrating trying to piece together what's happened when people on social network talk about an important thing.
I have no idea what happened, the context or any details. I only know people's feelings about it, what ever this it is.

Gamergate
Charlie
etc
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 07 Jan 2015, 16:14

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your issue, but can't you just Google whatever they're talking about, if you care to learn more? Subjects like those will have no shortage of results to fill you in.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 07 Jan 2015, 16:47

"Charlie Hebdo" is a French satirical weekly newspaper that is strongly antireligious and frequently parodies Muhammad on its cover. Today, a group of Muslim gunmen opened fire at the Paris office of Charlie Hebdo, killing at least 12, and wounding 11, 4 or 5 seriously. It is the deadliest terror attack in France since 1961 during the Algerian war.

I'm not sure what Gamergate is about.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 07 Jan 2015, 17:19

I don't think that a normal reaction to a political comic should be "let's kill everyone of those motherfuckers". The political debate and state of affairs about the muslim minority has been a hot topic this year and of course, political magazines will make comic strips about those issues. And why shouldn't they? Freedom of speech dictates everyone gets an opinion and if you are against that opinion you can give your own. Charlie Hebdo and Le canard enchaîné are two magazines that profit from political humor and are widely known. People know what they are going to encounter when they buy an issue of Charlie Hebdo.
It's incredibly sad for me as a law student as well as a human being to see acts against such a basic human right as is freedom of speech. Especially when there are perfectly legal mechanisms to avoid these kind of things.
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 09 Jan 2015, 11:26

Sleep Paralysis is the worst. My bouts of it seem to be getting much scarier, too.
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 09 Jan 2015, 12:09

Small vent: Boyfriend was over for almost two straight weeks last month because of holidays (normally he's here 4-5 days/month). His place has utilities included in rent, mine does not. I ask him if he's willing to pitch in 1/4 of a share of our normal split, since he was here a lot. This amounts to $15, and every other person in the house paying $60. He gets all indignant at me for asking him to pay for something he used.

Rolling my eyes so goddamn hard.

Then he goes on about how I don't help pay for gas. Well I would if he didn't have this "I don't need anyone's help, I'm a man and have to pay for everything myself" complex.

Rolling my eyes harder.

Edit:

GAH and now my housemate instead of talking about an extra fee we incurred trying to fix the internet for him just like rolled his eyes at me and handed money. I had 2 options: split between us because no one else was involved, or split equally and just explain it and see what happens BUT NO HE JUST ROLLS HIS EYES AT ME GAAAAH
-betsy
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 10 Jan 2015, 07:39

Virus scan taking ages.
Going to replace system in a month. Not sure if it's even worth doing a scan now. Last scan was in June.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 10 Jan 2015, 19:29

I fluctuate with trying to be not too hard on myself, and too lax on myself. *sniffles*

I'm having a guilt trip because I came home Friday afternoon with a migraine...
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Jan 2015, 23:17

Dear random MtGO player I was playing a casual match against,

I really don't want to hear you whining and complaining when I concede Game 1 when your clearly superior deck is winning hard while I'm getting mana screwed. Just because you wanted to "go off" with your deck doesn't mean that I want to sit there and watch you play MtGO by yourself. You set it to Match. We're going to Game 2.
Also, just because you smoke weed erry day doesn't mean I need to hear about it, especially after I let you know I don't want to. When I'm playing Magic with people at 2 AM, I'm not really concerned about the amount or kind of illicit substances you put into your body.

Sincerely,

Memo, who should probably be asleep, and is trying, but has insomnia.

fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 11 Jan 2015, 00:17

SohNata wrote:Sleep Paralysis is the worst. My bouts of it seem to be getting much scarier, too.

Oh my goodness, you have my deepest sympathies - I used to suffer from this. Different parts of your body & mind wake up at different times, sometimes you'll be conscious but unable to move or think or remember anything, just a vegetable - it is the worst thing.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Jan 2015, 05:57

I hate sleep paralysis when I have my back to my room and door, and I wake up, but still paralysed and this small... thought... comes... there's something in my room.

I can't turn over to see.
It's in my room.
I can't... turn... arrghhhhh.

*Turn over*

Nothing is there.
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 11 Jan 2015, 06:30

fantôme wrote:
SohNata wrote:Sleep Paralysis is the worst. My bouts of it seem to be getting much scarier, too.

Oh my goodness, you have my deepest sympathies - I used to suffer from this. Different parts of your body & mind wake up at different times, sometimes you'll be conscious but unable to move or think or remember anything, just a vegetable - it is the worst thing.

Yeah, it's been really bad of late. The night before I wrote that post was the scariest bout I've experienced, because in the confusion of everything (and maybe some dream I was coming out of), it felt like I kept trying to sit up, wasn't moving, but was being pushed back down anyway. I remember trying to scream as loud as I could and then of course, nothing comes out. Then the paralysis lifted, but at that point it had shaken me up so much I had a mild panic attack to boot.

I guess I'm lucky it only happens to me very infrequently, but when it does...it's often and feels worse everytime, even though I should know by now what's happening.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 12 Jan 2015, 08:50

SohNata wrote:
fantôme wrote:

Yeah, it's been really bad of late. The night before I wrote that post was the scariest bout I've experienced, because in the confusion of everything (and maybe some dream I was coming out of), it felt like I kept trying to sit up, wasn't moving, but was being pushed back down anyway. I remember trying to scream as loud as I could and then of course, nothing comes out. Then the paralysis lifted, but at that point it had shaken me up so much I had a mild panic attack to boot.

I guess I'm lucky it only happens to me very infrequently, but when it does...it's often and feels worse everytime, even though I should know by now what's happening.

I've been lucky enough to not get hit with sleep paralysis for over a month now, but even when I was getting it every few days I never got the hallucinations as bad as some. The worst was for some reason thinking my communications project group was in my room waiting for me to get up.
The not being able to make noise might be the worst. In school I'd be laying there, unable to move, with my roommate literally three feet away, but there's just nothing you can do to alert anyone. Years before that I tipped over face-down into my pillow during one episode, couldn't move to get my mouth and nose off it, and could hear my parents just outside my room the whole time.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Jan 2015, 07:33

Too tired to stay awake... Too awake to sleep... :evil:

BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 13 Jan 2015, 20:42

Try getting up and reading something really boring (better if not on the computer as the bright screen wakes you up). Try a bunch of tips for relaxing and falling asleep?
I don't find that one thing works all the time AdmiralMemo
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 14 Jan 2015, 00:15

Or embrace your insomnia with oodles of coffee. I quite enjoy having 20+ hour days. It probably isn't good for me, but then again lots of things probably aren't good for me, (usually the enjoyable things).
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Jan 2015, 02:32

Sick of the conflict of:

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS VS. DO SOMETHING REALISTIC

Please, tell me which one to do, because being told to do both is really tiring and exhausting.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 14 Jan 2015, 03:08

You follow your dreams if they are realistic.

Return to “General Discussion”