Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Deedles » 21 Feb 2015, 10:14

Oh God, then he's lost forever.
Hurp-De-Durp!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Feb 2015, 10:28

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 21 Feb 2015, 12:08

Some prick let his dog take a crap next to my car. I didn't notice this as I got in. Until the smell hit me 2 minutes later on the highway...
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Cybertrash
First Video: Bros Clubbing Bros

Postby Cybertrash » 22 Feb 2015, 10:21

Food poisoning sucks y'all, especially when combined with a horrible cold. Having difficultues focusing on stuff...
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 24 Feb 2015, 13:54

I have a stiff and sore neck. You don't realise how much you use your neck until you lose some of its range of motion.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 24 Feb 2015, 15:24

So we got a new router sent by our ISP the other day, and it's just given so much grief.

1) When I tried to set it up, I realised the power cord was really short, meaning it can only be positioned in one place on the desk.

2) This router comes in with an automatic adult content filter (because the UK government thinks we're all too innocent to see anything bad on the internet); while I don't use adult content that much, the mere acknowledgement that someone is deciding what I can or cannot do that is within the law tilts me out so much. Luckily though, I think I've managed to turn it off.

3) The internet connect is perhaps worse then before. I've noticed it cutting out far more frequently.

4) When you do disconnect, the router re-directs the page you were trying to access with a "Your internet seems to not be connected, let us try and re-connect you." Like, seriously how? You cannot magically reconnect an internet connection just by clicking a button. What you're basically doing is just waiting until the connect comes back automatically. Please, get rid of this page, it's just plain annoying. I'd rather get a blank "Server not found message."

5) This router is not compatible with my 3DS...RAGE!

My solution? Just put the old router back. At least that one fupping worked.

EDIT:

And to prove my point, my connection dropped two minuets after posting this. This is the screen I get re-directed to:

Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Feb 2015, 04:18

society wrote:Please don't cry

(For context. Just in case someone thinks this is a reply to something. I HATE THAT EXPRESSION. "Please suppress your emotions so I don't have to deal with them").
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 26 Feb 2015, 17:42

got cut early from work as I could barely stand due to coughing and an inability to breathe. Great because I open at the second location tomorrow, not so great because I'm still sick and I hate being sick.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 26 Feb 2015, 23:50

I'm not having fun at my weekly game night anymore.

My housemate runs the game, it's held at my house. About a month ago my housemate told me I was being too loud, when I wasn't any louder than anyone else. He's been making rulings that aren't in the name of fun, but are rules lawyering. The last two weeks he's been specifically telling me I'm too loud and that I engage in too much cross talk, when I have barely said anything and we have three new guys that never stop chatting loudly on the side. They're so loud I couldn't tell someone three feet away from me something without yelling, at which point I yelled at them to shut up.

I'm fucking tired of being picked on. I'm tired of half the table never paying attention and I'm the one getting snide remarks and rude comments, even though I'm trying my hardest to listen and am almost never on my phone. I'm tired of people not leaving my house until 1130 or later, when I have class the next day. I'm fucking tired.

Thing is, this is my one chance weekly, even monthly, to socialize outside of school that isn't my boyfriend's grandparents and great aunts/uncles. How am I supposed to quit this game? If I don't play, I want them out of my house so that I can work and sleep. Next week I have to leave at 7am the next morning and drive for 2 hours, I need everyone to be gone by 1030 so that I can sleep, but how the hell am I supposed to do that with this attitude I'm getting?

Goddamn I'm just so tired of it.
-betsy
DelphiSantano
First Video: Unskippable - Dead Rising

Postby DelphiSantano » 27 Feb 2015, 01:24

Gahh fuck February. Seriously.
"Do hydras lay eggs or bear live young?"

DCI Judge Level 2
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Feb 2015, 02:13

Apparently Facebook is cool with people using the word cunt.
I guess the solution on my end is to block every user who uses awful language on public posts because reporting won't do anything?

This is the word that got Matt to give me a stern feedback on these forums.

You guys know what my next Facebook status is.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 27 Feb 2015, 12:21

Listening to 'country' old white men say racist and homophobic things is frustrating. Especially when it's also coming from family.
Kortanios
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Kortanios » 28 Feb 2015, 05:26

A months worth of rent in application fees and hundreds of hours of work later and I'm still not even getting invited for interviews for PhD positions. Also, why the fuck do I have to pay application fees when I want to work somewhere for an insane number of hours a week for less than minimum wage?!
Ergo bibamus!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 28 Feb 2015, 10:49

Very few times will I stop watching a YouTube video in the middle.
I have today.

I try to be reasonable. Whenever I take up an opinion or stance, I always try to see the other side at some point. I may not agree with their premises, but as long as they put up a valid and coherent argument, I will respect their opinion. I even try to listen to various different people, just because the first person I listened to might've been an idiot dinkwad that was not representative of the opinion, movement, or group at large.

But when I see video after video from different people where the "argument" being presented is nothing more than 1. disjointed statements that claim they add up to something meaningful, when I can't see how they even connect and 2. just ad hominem attacks, then no: you do not get any more of my time.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 28 Feb 2015, 19:13

As a rule, I don't listen to people who need to shoot a talking head video of themselves to communicate their point. It reeks of a lack of point being covered up with rhetoric, eye contact, emotional outbursts and an absence of distinctly constructed sentences. I have not yet seen a single argument presented in video rant form that was not a snake oil pitch. If you have an actual point, I promise you can make it in writing.

(If you can't write, and are old enough to use the Internet unsupervised, I believe you should have the right to have a literate person help you write your argument.)
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Mar 2015, 14:58

One reason why I didn't really start Youtube video making.
Because anything I had to say could be blogposted.

I do hate 10 minutes videos that are basically one sentence points. I hate potato waffles.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 01 Mar 2015, 19:25

Well, it finally happened. Everybody at The Escapist went insane.

I think it's the way people have of coping back at all the lay-offs and bad social media vibes. And I use "coping" loosely. Feels more like demented laughter.
empath

Postby empath » 02 Mar 2015, 07:04

The otaku is strong in that froup...

but yeah, I wouldn't say "insane" unless you meant criminally insane; I'd go more along the lines of 'have always been insane but the normal people (who have since left) tended to mask them'.

It's the undercurrent of this "would you date ugly guys/etc" was ALWAYS there, and it creeped me out to not touching the Escapist's fora even BEFORE LRR got involved with them.

In Other News, my bank had received the transaction from da gummimint about my tax refund either late Friday or on Saturday, and sort of processed it - the bigger balance would show up if I checked an ATM or looked at the account summary in online banking, but the deposit wasn't yet listed from Canada Revenue Agency. Didn't cause any problems when we splurged and went out and bought our replacement bed we'd planned on (the itemized list would show an overdraft, but debit card transaction still approved just fine.)

Anyways, as I expected, everything completed this morning, and now I'm well into the black again. :D

Also, I received an email from CRA (presumably telling me of my Notice of Assessment)...but it didn't say anything concrete, just that 'CRA has something to tell you and you need to go to the government website, login and check your messages under 'My Account' to read it' - didn't give a link, so I was actually feeling it was legit. :)

So I went over, and realized I've not logged into the CRA site in quite a while; Intuit's TurboTax does the NETFILE stuff without needing a code from the gov't website just fine. So I'm trying to remember what I need, and going through all the confirmation of DoB, Postal Code, SIN, etc....and then it asks me for the number "on line 101 of your 2014 return".
:shock:

Dangit. I think that's just Total Income, but...I don't want to get this wrong...

So I go look for the copy of my return I downloaded when I filed...er...where did I put it...and what did Intuit name it THIS time; I've got our returns from 2011 & 2012, but I think they changed the naming scheme in 2013?

Grr, go login to TurboTax's site AGAIN, which means I have to go dig up passwords AGAIN, and view the PDF from them, which gets me the exact number I need to plug into CRA's secure website...

...who then thank me, and tell me they have to snail mail me a security code to activate my My Account on their site; it should take 5-10 business days and cannot be given out via email or over the phone.

:shock:

...for something that I already know what it is: "Yeah, we read your return, agreed with it, filed it without changes, and deposited XXX amount into the bank account we have on file for you"

My bank account details tell me THAT, you BURRO-cratic deadwood!!!! :evil:

GAAAA, totally shades of THIS :P

(hope someone else sees the black humour in this, and thus reading the Venting Thread actually improves their mood a tiny bit ;^) )

ADDENDUM: I just noticed I still had the CRA website open in a tab, so clicking on it to logout and close, I found it'd auto-logged me for inactivity (good), and took me back to their 'home' page, which has one of those 'slideshow' elements...and I swear to god it changed to...it...well, HERE:

Really? REALLY?!?

Kids? You wanna know the stock dictionary definition of "irony"? It's "spend half an hour jumping through hoops to be told you will EVENTUALLY be given government notification of something you already know, and then being told about how said government is handing out awards for 'reducing red tape'"
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 02 Mar 2015, 09:32

Somewhat related to Memo, people I speak with seem to almost totally lack the capacity to understand that issues are not always divided down a good/evil, right/wrong line. I get it. Arguments are easier and feel better when you perceive yourself as the good guy and the other side as the bad guys, but it is absolute death to achieving anything worthwhile.

I can listen to an opinion I perceive as different.

I'm less inclined to listen to opinions I perceive as "evil".
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 02 Mar 2015, 13:29

The only thing I hate more than ice is not being allowed to use Ice Melt on it because "we don't want to ruin the brickwork."
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
empath

Postby empath » 03 Mar 2015, 05:07

Bored...

Started my fluids-only diet this morning for the exam tomorrow...I'll be fine physically, but already I'm missing snacking on peanuts or similar.

And our new bed is to be delivered today, so we got up early and cleared out the bedroom, so I can't even nap away the boredom. Dang guys probably won't show up until this afternoon... :P

*tries to not think of food and twiddles thumbs...hmm, finger sandwiches...*
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 03 Mar 2015, 13:24

I gave you TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS! It's still not fucking enough???? Where the fuck did all that fucking money go?! I gave you FUCKING EVERYTHING YOU ASKED FOR. And it's still not fucking enough!! What do I have left for me?! NOTHING. NOT ONE CENT OF THE MONEY THAT I EARNED IS MINE.

FUCK. YOU. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK YOU.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
empath

Postby empath » 03 Mar 2015, 17:38

the bed arrived before lunch...but I haven't had much chance to try it out...started drinking the purgative a few hours ago, and I'v e been cycling between the bathroom (where I've got the laptop set up on a shelf :) ) and out here where my office chair is MUCH SOFTER :lol:...but only for short breaks)

I'm tired, psychologically 'starving' in that I REALLY WANT TO CHEW ON SOMETHING RIGHT NOW, my gut is a little cramped and well,...let's just say I'm keeping the toilet paper in the fridge ;)

...and worst of all, I can't actually drink all of the recommended dose of that stuff, two litres? I think I got into about half that and felt the water gurgling at the top of my stomach...

I really hope I'm taking enough to clear myself out properly for the exam tomorrow...I've waited three years for this scope...

but eff it; I'm cutting off at about maybe 1.5L drunk and gonna have some damn jello for SOMETHING 'solid' to poop out in about a half hour...

tl;dr? just let the wife sum it up for you: "he's pooped out" :D
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 03 Mar 2015, 19:40

If I lived in GTA 5 today would have ended with me and my BFF going on a flamethrower and rocket launcher rampage.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Mar 2015, 20:12

Would you settle for this video?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “General Discussion”