Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Phailhammer » 27 Mar 2015, 14:45

Of course; I was never going to replace the part for that price. We (my father and I) are going to ask our next door neighbour if there's anything we can do as a stop-gap measure, but I doubt I'll be driving it for much longer. I'll probably look at one more expensive than that one, but less than the cost of repair.

Edit: Spoke with the neighbour. He agrees that the cost of repair is crap. There are a few minor things he can do to improve its running. The main thing is to keep it topped up with water, as dad said "fill it up with water and check the petrol".
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 28 Mar 2015, 03:40

What exactly is wrong with it? From the comment about water I'm guessing you're losing coolant somewhere. Filling with straight up water is not a good idea. Your coolant pump will rust away quite fast. A lot of car repairs are not that hard. Maybe you can fix it yourself
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Phailhammer

Postby Phailhammer » 28 Mar 2015, 04:51

The main thing I know is wrong is a blown head gasket. There is certainly still coolant in there, as well as water, though there may be a small leak in there somewhere.
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 Mar 2015, 05:49

Seems a way to get exposure for art is to produce fan art for people who I like.

But I don't put my idols on pedestals, so I could never actually finish a piece of fanart. If I did, it would be soulless. Closest thing was drawing a Pokemon someone who I watch on Twitch likes.

I see my idols as mere humans.

I drew Gibb for the 10YRR book as an example.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 28 Mar 2015, 09:48

Phailhammer wrote:The main thing I know is wrong is a blown head gasket. There is certainly still coolant in there, as well as water, though there may be a small leak in there somewhere.

What make and model car? A head gasket replacement can be anything from a 2 hour job to a "run, run away, keep running" job.
Phailhammer

Postby Phailhammer » 28 Mar 2015, 17:47

1985 Honda Prelude
FictionPress stories:
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 29 Mar 2015, 12:33

1985? That is pretty ancient as far as cars go. Would be considered a youngtimer classic under Dutch law even.

Do you know what engine it has? (1.8 A18A or 2.0 B20A)

$2500 for (only) a headgasket swap is a little steep in any case. Seems more of a "name a lofty price and hope the customer sods of because it's a rotten job" price. (Changing a headgasket is about 6 to 8 hours work on a DOHC straight-4 engine like in the prelude, working in the middle of the engine bay and with a heavy cylinderhead, meaning it's hell on your back. Some mechanics prefer to have their clients run off so they don't have to do the work, so set a high price)

Rough guesstimate for true cost (Note: I'm not a car mechanic and have never worked on Honda engines):
- Headgasket and sealing set: $150
- Cylinderhead bolts set: $100
- New oil: $50
- New coolant: $30
- 8 hours work: 8x75 = $600 (no idea what they charge an hour in Oz normally)
- New timing belt and timing belt tensioning/roller set $250 (Ideally, but advisable if you don't know when it was done or needs to be done within the next few thousand miles)
- Extra time for mounting new timing set 2x75= $150

= $1330

Main question becomes, how confident are you with a spanner? Do you dare take it apart yourself or do you have to hire someone?

Depending on what else is wrong with the car, getting this engine fixed MIGHT mean you now have a solid motor for the next X years. Buying a different car also means buying other hidden problems.
If you go for a newer car, try to get something from atleast after the middle of the 90s. Getting spares for a car from 1985 is probably going to be getting harder and harder too.

There is a site in the Netherlands where you can post a car job, and local garages and "hobbyist mechanics" can reply with a cost estimate letting you choose the best offer. Is there something similar in Australia?
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 29 Mar 2015, 16:41

When will I learn to never offer several points for bigots to debate? That'll only let them ignore the point where they contradict themselves, and if they get the chance they'll always, always ignore it.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 30 Mar 2015, 17:11

Not so much anger as really damn tired, but waking up at 730 am, taking a red eye cross country that night, on which you get about 30 min of snooze, walking almost 5 miles in light snow, barely eating, having to unpack something it cost you $1000 to ship and having it be destroyed, then getting in bed at 2100(+3, 1800 at home) is a really long damn day. Screw this competition. I'm ready to forfeit and go home.
-betsy
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 31 Mar 2015, 08:31

everyone around me is angry and upset and screwing things up and apologizing and frustrated and edgy and...

...and it's rubbing off on me, despite me being in a good mood and good circumstances; hell, I even feel guilty for being in better shape than others. :(
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 02 Apr 2015, 09:25

I hate that on World Autism Awareness Day the organisation that gets mentioned is "Autism Speaks" an organisation who doesn't have anyone with autism on either their board or leadership team it has had 1 member who resigned because the organisation kept saying that autistic were defective or diseased or part of an epidemic, and to quote his resign letter
"Autism Speaks is the only major medical or mental health nonprofit whose legitimacy is constantly challenged by a large percentage of the people affected by the condition they target."
They spend under 10% of their revenue helping autistic people and families.

This should be a great for people with autism, but every time i see an article or news mentioned this they also mentions Autism Speaks an organisation that want's to "cure" us and have said that maybe it was better to kill autistic children so that they didn't have to live with their "disease"
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 02 Apr 2015, 10:41

People voted down a public safety tax that ended up causing 20% of correctional facility officers at our county jail to get laid off.

Yesterday morning a convicted murderer escape the facility by choking out the lone officer sent to his cell block, stealing his uniform and driving out with his car. He has not been found, and is known to be armed. There is no reason to believe he isn't somewhere in the area. The most common response to this situation that I've heard?

"God, I bet the sheriff's office is going to say this whole thing comes down to budget cuts to try to scare us into giving him more tax money."

Maybe we should stop and consider the idea that if the sheriff were to do that (he hasn't, at least not at any media conference I've attended so far) he might just have a fucking point.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Apr 2015, 13:25

You're going out in the public and into a confined area of a shop is there any reason for all three of you to smell of sweat, body odour and urine that other customers will cover their noses.
It's always the same families coming in and they don't have children, these are adults, today it felt like my face was trying to peel off my face.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Apr 2015, 17:13

Why do I procrastinate so much, especially about writing?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 11 Apr 2015, 00:59

My back is not happy with me and I am not happy with my back.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Apr 2015, 16:39

So apparently someone in MI has decided to go on Facebook and talk about how he's giving discounts to people who bring in their guns. That's perfectly fine with me. I think gun laws are an odd issues with valid points on both sides. While I'm in favor of gun control, supporting it isn't that bad.

Actively saying that you're going to refuse service to homosexuals, however, is another story. That's isn't any different than saying you won't serve a specific race of people in my opinion. Discrimination is discrimination. In the end though, it's his business. He's free to run it however he wants. Just like I'm free to think that makes the person a dick and hope the business suffers for it.

but that's not the end of the rant. He's mentioned that they're getting death threats. I don't care that the person is an asshole. Threatening someone, their family, or their property, or really anything isn't the right course of action in this situation. Trying to get people to stop going to the business altogether is one thing. Making the business suffer for a poor business choice is fine. Someone being an asshole isn't a reason to threaten them.

I guess this vent boils down to this: I dislike when people are shitty to other people.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 20 Apr 2015, 06:06

So today my sister decided to "borrow" (aka downright steal) some of my make-up. And it's not the first time it's happened. She often wears my clothes without me knowing and unless I question her about it she has no intention whatsoever of giving me back the things she takes from me. I buy anything and within a month she's stolen it and I have to fucking ask her to please give it back. This time she went through my drawer and into my make-up bag to take a stupid cover stick that she has no fucking use for because her skin is a tone darker than mine.
I am moving in a few days but I want my cover stick back. Also, she has to learn to respect other people's privacy. I don't mind lending her things if she actually asks and / or returns it to its proper place afterwards. But she never does and that's why I'm so mad right now.
Phailhammer

Postby Phailhammer » 23 Apr 2015, 03:57

If I have told you I am in the middle of something when you ask me to do something, it means I'm in the fucking middle of something! Yelling "Do it!" from the next room after I explain this fact is a really good way to leave me pissed off with you for the rest of the night.
FictionPress stories:
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 24 Apr 2015, 18:04

So our chef walked out today. When he did, he informed me that the owner wanted him to fire me. In case, I'm out. Have a nice time trying to run this pub without a kitchen staff.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 24 Apr 2015, 19:02

Oh, shit. *Offers hugs!*
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 24 Apr 2015, 20:07

So today a friend of a girl I know from college was raped. We still don't have the details. I don't know her but it seems that these kind of stories are starting to be everywhere. It's so upsetting. Apparently she blames herself and doesn't want to report it. I feel sorry for this girl.
I needed to vent here. These news took me by surprise.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 25 Apr 2015, 06:18

Sorry to hear that. You should try and convice her to go to the police.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 25 Apr 2015, 06:47

POWER CUT.
Didn't realise how much I relied on electricity when it's raining outside.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 25 Apr 2015, 08:08

Elomin Sha wrote:Sorry to hear that. You should try and convice her to go to the police.

You should convince her to do what is best for her. If she reports it, and good comes of that, great. But if the police are assholes and she gets a lot of persecution for it, that's not going to be pleasant, especially after what she's been through. Also, if you don't already know her, she's hardly going to want someone to just come barging in, telling her what to do. If you know her, let her know you're there for her, and if you don't, probably best to just stay out of it for now.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 25 Apr 2015, 11:42

End of year cumulative tests on the horizon to measure how well I have done my job my first year, which includes an ACT on Tuesday for my students that I have to proctor all morning. Stressed.

Get phone call "Grandpa is in hospital"...

Damn... damn... damn.

Return to “General Discussion”