Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Robo4900 » 11 May 2016, 16:18

Oh yeah, cinema tickets are just stupid. Unless they have a deal or I have a voucher, I don't tend to go, because otherwise it's just ridiculous.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 11 May 2016, 18:53

Robo4900 wrote:It's not petty -- movies are really expensive to see. Anyone who doesn't think spoilers are a big deal needs to learn common decency.

That's very true. I don't want to get into specifics, but a major twist in a series I watch was spoiled to me. :|
Hurp-De-Durp!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 12 May 2016, 02:59

Deedles wrote:I come with a petty vent... but I do wish people could keep their traps shut about spoilers on public channels, like Facebook and Twitter.

They're public spaces, you can't tell people what they can and cannot say there. If there are spoilers I want to avoid I avoid those places. One time I didn't and I had something important spoilt and it was my fault.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 12 May 2016, 03:31

Elomin you know the rules of the venting thread as well if not better than most :P
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 12 May 2016, 03:54

Canberra Raiders vs St. George Illawarra Dragons. Scores are level at full time, so it goes to "Golden Point" extra time. Neither team can score in the first half of extra time.
Half time Golden Point siren sounds.
Raider has the ball, down their end of the field.
He could have just gotten tacked and then the Raiders would have received the ball in the next half.

Could have.

Instead they decided to keep the ball alive and try some clever plays for the sake of being clever.
Dragons player intercepts the ball and scores, winning the game.
This is not the first time the Raiders have screwed themselves trying to be clever for the sake of it.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 12 May 2016, 05:09

Fayili wrote:Elomin you know the rules of the venting thread as well if not better than most :P

I'm trying to get it burnt down to the ground and have Epsilon rise from the ashes.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 12 May 2016, 05:48

Elomin Sha wrote:
Deedles wrote:I come with a petty vent... but I do wish people could keep their traps shut about spoilers on public channels, like Facebook and Twitter.

They're public spaces, you can't tell people what they can and cannot say there. If there are spoilers I want to avoid I avoid those places. One time I didn't and I had something important spoilt and it was my fault.

I'm not telling them what they can't and cannot say, I'm saying that I wish people could and would keep spoilers to themselves in public spaces like that. I'm not saying that they must.
Hurp-De-Durp!
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 13 May 2016, 10:30

Today I saw a man dispose of his cigarette butt on the ground, though there was a bin only five paces away. Sometimes I feel like it isn't that people don't care about littering, but that they're actually choosing to cover our planet in trash. And to me this is indicative of a larger issue:

Then the man got into a very large car and drove away. Scientists have been warning us about catastrophic climate change, and many of us have noticed seasonal weather patterns beginning to shift in our own countries, yet still we're choosing to ignore it. We're told that irreversible damage is happening and the effects will be seen in our lifetime, yet still people drive around in needlessly damaging vehicles. The Mossack Fonseca leaks have proven (if proof were needed) that oil companies only ever had financial interests at heart, car manufacturers obviously have a likewise fiscal agenda, so it's up to the rest of us as collective individuals to say "no I will not be responsible for the death of this planet"... and yet we don't. It beggars belief, surely something of this magnitude should transcend our availability heuristic? Why are we still choosing to do this?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 May 2016, 13:00

Part of it is the selfish mindset of "Well, even if it's killing the planet, the planet won't die within my lifetime, so why should I care? I'll let the future people deal with it. I'm squeezing every bit of it out for myself, and when there comes a problem down the road, I'll be dead already."
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 13 May 2016, 16:31

This professor assigned a homework week 1, due week 2. Cool. Then a project week 4, due week 7 (this week). Okay, super stressful, not enough time to actually do the project well, but okay. Yesterday assigns two (2) projects due June 8th (finals week), both with are equivalent to or larger in scale to the previous project, and reminds us that in week 9 we have a "midterm" and another homework coming up.

Professors who purposefully backload a class piss me off. I have another class! Responsibilities! My master's project to work on! Ffffffffff
-betsy
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 13 May 2016, 19:16

AdmiralMemo wrote:Part of it is the selfish mindset of "Well, even if it's killing the planet, the planet won't die within my lifetime, so why should I care? I'll let the future people deal with it. I'm squeezing every bit of it out for myself, and when there comes a problem down the road, I'll be dead already."

Oh tragedy of the commons. My favorite psychological flaw.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 14 May 2016, 09:39

Although let's be real, if people seriously cared about the environment, very few people would smoke cigarettes(And they would probably be made differently), guns would be much more controlled(And more heavily taxed), and electric cars would get loads of funding.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 May 2016, 15:20

Feeling slightly enclosed by people being coupley. I am happy for them. Just, can be tiring to be reminded that you're independent, and not necessarily out of choice.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 17 May 2016, 01:48

I cannot finish anything.

I've had a fairly substantial credit card balance looming over me for years, and I HAVE mannaged to chip away at it, but job changes and whatnot meant my payments got erratic and I was passed to a collection agency for the umpteenth time.

Most of the time I would dodge the phone calls (luckily because I'd be away from home WORKING) - heck, if I'm having trouble paying the minimum $300/month, what makes you think I can just up and pay the entire balance right now?!? - but eventually I had to sit down and speak with the collection agents.

...and the were really nice, of course, making me feel even more like a heel because I'd been dodging them. And we discussed my circumstances - my paltry expenses and even more paltry income.

And then something unexpected happened.

They made a settlement offer...and I looked over the numbers: I COULD MEET IT.

Basically about a third of the balance, paid out over three months.

$1000
$1000
$900

And looking at what I was bringing in as a cabbie, I could do it - I could still afford rent, and if we skimped a tiny bit on groceries, and cut out take out food for a few months, I could pay it off and get this millstone from around my neck.

The first month was good, and then the second got boosted by my income tax refund; I could even give the wife an anniversary present of a sorely-needed computer upgrade,too.

...and then the economy tanked.

The price of oil dropped through the floor. And around here, everything hinges on the oil industry.

One of the cab companies' big clients IS the oil companies - when they need to get workers to and from the heliport that takes them out to the rigs, they call us (when said workers don't have wives/friends to give them a life - why drive your own shiny, expensive pickup and leave it in long-term parking for weeks?)

...but with a drop in income, they started cutting back on expenses...including calling for cab rides.

Even more seriously, the provincial government was riding high on the hog from tax revenue from said oil industry, and due to other issues distracting them, they hadn't pared back their spending as the oil prices began to drop (either that, or a conspiracy theorist would argue that the incumbents had no intention of trying to win the upcoming election, and instead left things running at full speed with massive spending deficits so as to leave their rivals who won the election in a hard position)

...when the price of gas dropped, so did the frequencey of jobs from our government clients.

So instead of bringing home a hundred bucks a day, I was bringing maybe thirty or forty a day.

I watched my savings evaporate as it had to pay for rent and groceries.

And now here I am, three days away from that last settlement payment, not with nine hundred dollars on hand, but just under two hundred, and the likelihood of pulling down another SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS IN THREE DAYS is laughable.

Why does the universe have such an aversion to be ever dragging myself out of penurious debt?

why does fate feel it HAS to keep kicking me iinto the dirt whenever I start to stand up again?

why do I have to keep getting these moments of hope only to see them dashed before my eyes, taking my heart with them?
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 17 May 2016, 08:29

@empath,

That sucks balls. Maybe it would be best to call the collections agent in advance and explain the situation? I assume they are in the same area so they know what's going on. I don't really suspect they'll suddenly come to take the clothes from your back. You have paid off the better part of your debt on schedule, so there is no reason for them to suddenly play hard ball with you.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
empath

Postby empath » 17 May 2016, 13:36

Nah, they're on the Wet Coast - the opposite side of the continent: that fact has actually been helpful for me, as it gives me an extra four-and-a-half hours to get stuff done before their quitting time. :)

And I don't blame them, and yeah I'll call 'em.

It's more me just raging against fate/God/the gods/destiny/the universe/whatever that keeps kicking me back in the hole every time I climb up to the lip. :(

Also, something I've seen and been unsure whether I should post here, or in the 'thread of lols'.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 17 May 2016, 20:16

To the guy who spilled his mysterious, but very smelly booze because he passed out on the bus, and told the driver when he roused him that "it was Gatorade..." it may have started as Gatorade, but it is not JUST Gatorade now.

And of course, he got off before the rest of us could. And we had to sit and smell it. I could see the ENTIRE back grow darker with the liquids as they slid forward depending on the hill we were driving on.

...at least he's not driving.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 24 May 2016, 08:56

I am sick :( and I have an exam in two days and I worry I'll still be sick by then.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 25 May 2016, 20:30

So I was at Walmart today... Did some shopping... Got into the checkout line. Found one that only had 1 person to ring up, so I chose that line. Turns out it was a new cashier and a special circumstance that required the manager, and... various things culminated in making this one person long... So I was waiting patiently in line. A woman comes up with her cart behind me. I see that she sees me there waiting. She starts looking at stuff, then up and leaves her cart to go off to other stuff. I'm standing there like "Really?!" but just keep waiting. An older couple gets in line behind her cart. Then, about 5 minutes after she put her cart in line behind me, she returns. She addresses me and says "Hey! Did you move this?!" I'm standing there, somewhat incredulous and was like "No. I've been standing here the whole time." I motion to indicate the other people around me as if to say "Ask them." She harumphs, waits for about 2 minutes, and then pulls her cart out of line and goes off to a different line.

Two things got to me about this situation...

1. If you're not done shopping, you should NOT put your cart in the check-out line. You don't deserve that spot to be held for you if you're not ready at the time.

2. Accusing someone you've never met before of something you didn't see happen says a lot more about you than it does about them. The fact that she would accuse me of doing such a thing means that she expects such behavior, and where would she get to know that type of behavior? Either she herself or her social/family group are not very good people, in my opinion.

Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 25 May 2016, 21:11

AdmiralMemo wrote:So I was at Walmart today... Did some shopping... Got into the checkout line. Found one that only had 1 person to ring up, so I chose that line. Turns out it was a new cashier and a special circumstance that required the manager, and... various things culminated in making this one person long... So I was waiting patiently in line. A woman comes up with her cart behind me. I see that she sees me there waiting. She starts looking at stuff, then up and leaves her cart to go off to other stuff. I'm standing there like "Really?!" but just keep waiting. An older couple gets in line behind her cart. Then, about 5 minutes after she put her cart in line behind me, she returns. She addresses me and says "Hey! Did you move this?!" I'm standing there, somewhat incredulous and was like "No. I've been standing here the whole time." I motion to indicate the other people around me as if to say "Ask them." She harumphs, waits for about 2 minutes, and then pulls her cart out of line and goes off to a different line.

Two things got to me about this situation...

1. If you're not done shopping, you should NOT put your cart in the check-out line. You don't deserve that spot to be held for you if you're not ready at the time.

2. Accusing someone you've never met before of something you didn't see happen says a lot more about you than it does about them. The fact that she would accuse me of doing such a thing means that she expects such behavior, and where would she get to know that type of behavior? Either she herself or her social/family group are not very good people, in my opinion.

I agree. I saw someone today get accused/attacked of being responsible for something they probably had nothing to do with and of course they got upset. In this particular case it was someone that already thinks perpetually that everyone hates them and they left before anyone could retract their accusatory tones and admit that not all owners of de-clawed pets had it done themselves. Enough of them show up at the shelter that way and many innocent caring cat lovers who would never do such a thing get accused just by taking in a clawless abandoned cat. Often people who have that animal for security/anxiety reasons and the last thing they need is someone making them feel attacked in probably the only group of people they've reached out to in years. :(
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
betsytheripper

Postby betsytheripper » 26 May 2016, 08:08

Let me talk about how much I hate the SF Bay area. Yeah, I used to live there and loved it, but the farther out from it I am and the more I have to interact with it now, the angrier I get.

I have to report someone to the fair housing board today for illegally denying my application to rent because I have designated emotional support animals. After she said I was "perfect" and had already started discussing move in dates.

I start my internship on June 13. I still don't have a place to live. At this point I'm looking at apartments 45-60 minutes away. Because of the gentrification of SF/SJ. Because stupid rich people are pushing average people out to the fringes of the bay area just so they can pay rent/buy a house. Because it's caused rents to skyrocket 2-3-5 fold in the last decade. I fucking hate the gentrification culture and the new rich tech world. I hate the start ups and the lack of policy to prevent forcing people out of their home to charge 4-10 times what they were paying to fucking hipsters. I hate the air bnb culture and I fucking hate Craigslist's non policing of discriminatory listings.

I hate the bay area. Just like LA, I kind of want it to flood and be wiped off the map.
-betsy
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 26 May 2016, 10:03

betsytheripper, there might be a law stating that if you get a pet after moving in that it can't be grounds for eviction which do exist in some places...but yeah if they'd even try to toss someone out over needing a support animal you probably wouldn't want to live in that building with that landlord anyway.
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 May 2016, 12:40

betsytheripper wrote:I hate the bay area. Just like LA, I kind of want it to flood and be wiped off the map.
Go go climate change, then... ;-)

empath

Postby empath » 26 May 2016, 12:45

*sprays aerosol cans in the direction of The Ozone Hole to help*

I am a hair's-breadth from bankruptcy and losing my means of earning ANY sort of an income.
betsytheripper

Postby betsytheripper » 26 May 2016, 21:05

Danielle I think you misunderstand, I already have emotional support animals. They're my cats (a pair, boys, neutered, brothers, never been separated from each other or me), whom I've had for 6 years. Their status is documented. So I was denied based on already having them, which is illegal in this state. (There's a couple caveats, like if it would cause "undue hardship" on the landlord, but seriously, I was willing to bend over backwards to make sure there was no damage. So.)

Anyway. I'm still rather angry but this is a great situation where it's important to know your legal rights! Housing is srs bsns, yo. And yeah, pretty sure that lady is a horrible, nasty person, so in a way I dodged that bullet. (She mentioned that she had a few outdoor cats that could come inside only if she was home and awake so she could watch them and make sure they don't damage the rugs - WHY EVEN HAVE CATS YOU NASTY WITCH okay I'm done now)
-betsy

Return to “General Discussion”