Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby viscomica » 31 Jan 2016, 18:30

I was fired during my vacation without so much as a reason. Nothing. AND while I was away, travelling abroad.
I certainly didn't want to work where I was working anymore but being fired by people who don't know me, never bothered to get to know me AND while I was away?
I found out a few days ago but now that I have internet Imma complain!
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 02 Feb 2016, 17:24

My baby is super sick. And my older boy was super sick yesterday. I hate feeling helpless because I can't get rid of their ick for them. All I can do is hug them.

Edit: kids made me sick. Causing me to become dehydrated. I live in Canada in the city of Toronto. Who wants to bet on how many hours I will be waiting at the hospital to see a doctor?
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Feb 2016, 21:47

Waking up in pain is just THE WORST...
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Feb 2016, 22:29

Separate vent: A website that is only available from 10 AM to 7 PM? WHAT. THE. CRAP. I can understand not having people around 24/7 on some sites to process things, but shutting down the site for over half the day? This is 2016. You should be able to get information and submit stuff 24/7.

Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 03 Feb 2016, 23:20

Oh, you've dealt with Centrelink too? Kappa
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Feb 2016, 03:59

Saw 8 is being made.

No. Go away. The last film was awful and became a parody of itself in a depressing way. Leave it to rot please.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Feb 2016, 13:18

I made mention I wanted a specific day off over a month ago. I marked it on the board. One told me I didn't need it off, I gave them fair warning about certain things happening. I reinformed them last week that the rota wasn't changed. I was told it would be taken care of. He is going to be ignored so much that day.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 15 Feb 2016, 19:22

I feel like I'm paranoid, a little germophobic, and a hypochondriac. It's really annoying when I don't feel well. Especially since I look up the symptoms and one of the options is always 'you're about to die.' Like I have a pain in my leg that I don't know what the cause is. I look it up, and it mentions that it could be a clot based on the very generic symptoms. Now I'm worried even though I don't think anything is actually wrong with me.

Bleh.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Feb 2016, 05:36

I heard Chat got Alex upset last night after I fell asleep.

MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 18 Feb 2016, 07:23

7 hours on a 5 hour train ride. With 2 children. I was ever so happy to get home last night.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 21 Feb 2016, 00:23

Fuck, that was miserable. Went to a friend's birthday party. Started off good. Then more people showed up. We played CAH for way too long, and it was very meh to me. Some people left. Then six rowdy guys showed up when only three were expected. I'm not good around people. Being surrounded by about 10 people I barely knew made me uncomfortable.

Just as I was starting to get around to get going, three people started to drink heavily. One girl got absolutely plastered. My two friends also got really drunk. These are also the only three people intending to stay in the house.

So on top of having to deal with a bunch of people I didn't know, I ended up having to help deal with three very drunk people.

So why didn't I leave? Well, like I mentioned, these were the only people planning on staying the night. Leaving the three of them alone in an apartment with a ton of steps seemed like a bad idea. So I stuck around, tried to keep them from hurting themselves as much as I could, and generally stressed out.

What didn't help was the girl wouldn't stay still or actually try to get to sleep. My guy friend basically tried to keep her under control (mostly tried to get her to lay down, drink water, and not walk up and down the stairs like she wanted to when she could barely stand). Though that friend was honestly getting too pushy to the point of being needlessly controlling and obnoxious. The other friend, the host, got sick quite a bit, tried to walk all over the place, collapsed multiple times, and threw her phone against the wall multiple times (and I think damaged it). She was obviously in a very bad place and full of anger.

I planned on leaving at like 9. I left at 1:30. I tried to make sure everyone was laying down to sleep by the time I left. But I still felt like garbage leaving. It was to the point that I was just drained of all energy. I was, and still am, exhausted. I was already drained before the drinking. By the end, I felt tired, lonely, stressed, and generally awful. And even when I am away from it, I feel like I'm the bad guy.

Honestly, the only saving grace was two women who were there and helped out. I don't think I could have done it without them. They helped the host out when she was getting sick and having anxiety attacks. Something I'm awful at. They also let me try to keep an eye on the other two, since they were on a separate floor.

Overall, I went there to try to relax and have fun. I came home exhausted, feeling like I've done something wrong, and regretting going. I kind of wish I'd have left earlier. But then who knows what might have happened?
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 22 Feb 2016, 10:30

I've been working with the students association so much and not prioritized studying that I've forgotten how to study. I can't get myself to work on my thesis now that I'm done with the students association and got the time to do it. I keep wanting to go to fiction books and games because that's how I spent my free time before when I barely had any. Now that I have a lot of free time (or, a thesis to write with no tight time schedules) my brain wants me to use the free time to play...
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 22 Feb 2016, 17:56

My grandmamma is very sick, and I want to go see her one last time. We don't have the money for train tickets (roughly $600, round trip), but we could drive (roughly $100 round trip). My husband is being a bit of a dick and doesn't want to drive the 5 hours. He would rather wait until she passes and then drive down for the funeral. :x :( :( :( :(
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 22 Feb 2016, 19:03

MinniChi wrote:My grandmamma is very sick, and I want to go see her one last time. We don't have the money for train tickets (roughly $600, round trip), but we could drive (roughly $100 round trip). My husband is being a bit of a dick and doesn't want to drive the 5 hours. He would rather wait until she passes and then drive down for the funeral. :x :( :( :( :(

That seems absurd to me. A five hour trip is not that bad, especially in a situation like yours. And it's your family, not his, so the choice of when to go should be up to you. Even if you can only manage one or the other, seeing her while you still can obviously seems like the better option for everyone involved.

I don't know if this changes anything, but have you looked into buses? I found they're a lot more affordable than trains, and have used both Greyhound and BoltBus (which I think they have out your way) a fair bit in the last year for similar length trip, and had nothing but good experiences.

Hope you can sort out a solution that works for you. :( *Hugs*
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 23 Feb 2016, 19:19

Jamfalcon wrote:
MinniChi wrote:My grandmamma is very sick, and I want to go see her one last time. We don't have the money for train tickets (roughly $600, round trip), but we could drive (roughly $100 round trip). My husband is being a bit of a dick and doesn't want to drive the 5 hours. He would rather wait until she passes and then drive down for the funeral. :x :( :( :( :(

That seems absurd to me. A five hour trip is not that bad, especially in a situation like yours. And it's your family, not his, so the choice of when to go should be up to you. Even if you can only manage one or the other, seeing her while you still can obviously seems like the better option for everyone involved.

I don't know if this changes anything, but have you looked into buses? I found they're a lot more affordable than trains, and have used both Greyhound and BoltBus (which I think they have out your way) a fair bit in the last year for similar length trip, and had nothing but good experiences.

Hope you can sort out a solution that works for you. :( *Hugs*

It would be about the same cost ($100) if I took the bus by myself. But it would also be a 10 hour ride. Versus a 5 hour ride with my husband.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 28 Feb 2016, 10:35

Okay, when the FUCK did Micro$oft decide to stop supporting the .tga graphics file format, and thus why are active developers TODAY still requesting screenshots IN that format (and their applications are creating screenshots as '*.tga')?

I've already found, tested and adopted a 3rd-party app to take over my image-handling tasks (sorry Adobe but I'm too broke to pay for P$, and also sorry 'internet-freedom-movement', I'm too damn ethical (and suspicious) to just acquire a totally legal copy that's guaranteed to be both feature-complete and free of malware or other complications or snags)...

...but NOW I simply want to know WHEN this change occurred, what the rationale was behind it, and so on. Yet my searches and enquiries are not finding anything remotely relevant to this.

And it annoys me. :|
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 28 Feb 2016, 11:54

supporting .tga in what exactly. Afaik support hasn't ended? (Why anyone would request files in .tga is beyond me though. It's not exactly a mainstream graphics format afaik. Especially for a simple screenshot a jpeg or png would suffice)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
empath

Postby empath » 28 Feb 2016, 18:29

Support in the sense that nothing automatically included with Win10 will recognize the .tga file extension; Win10 wanted to start up "3D Builder" for me, and M$Paint & Win Photo Viewer just balked at the files.

And the game takes screenshots and saves them as .tga's...yet they want submissions in .jpg :lol:

I wouldn't say it's 'mainstream'; it IS an old format, but it's hardly U-matic level of obscurity. ;)

I'd just like to know when M$ decided to drop it; Win7? Win8? not until Win10?
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 29 Feb 2016, 08:22

Weird, AFAIK Win7 still recognized it. (but only certain 32 bit targa formats afaik) I have no experience with Win 8 or 10. I do know that the default file associations are often a little screwy to begin with.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 01 Mar 2016, 16:54

Try GIMP.

As for why they dropped it, who knows? Probably the same reason they dropped DreamScene after Vista, even though all the correct DLLs and such existed in Windows 7 to the point where a simple registry entry would enable it, and the only drawback of it is that you couldn't do both a slideshow and a DreamScene at the same time.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 02 Mar 2016, 15:32

Fucking Amazon. Are you shitting me?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 02 Mar 2016, 18:25

So since it's looking like Amazon isn't going to be doing much to help the situation, I'll expand on my last post. I ordered the Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition off of Amazon when it went up on backorder. It was supposed to be shipped out in over a week. Fine. No big deal. I'm happy to wait if it means I don't have to dick around with the DLC BS. This was the 19th.

Fast forward to today. I'm about to buy something on Amazon, and I notice my gift card balance has gone up $5. I was confused. But I quickly put together that the only place I'd used $5 in credit was my Fire Emblem Fates order...

Sure enough, I check my order, and it's gone. I finally find it under my cancelled orders. I feel a wave of panic. I email Amazon and get back to work. I'm not happy my order has been cancelled. I figure it was either due to lack of stock, which sucks but I understand, my account was compromised and someone cancelled my order, or it was a glitch.

When I get back from running to another state for work, I check the FE subreddit. Apparently, it had gone back up on sale during the day. They also cancelled all backordered copies from the 19th.

So... they cancelled my order and put it back up for sale, and didn't email me to let me know. If they had, I would have been on just in time to reorder, as I was checking out and realized the issue when it was briefly available for sale.

A stock issue I can understand. Cancelling orders and saying it's a stock issue on the same day they put the item up for sale I can not.

I got my email back from Amazon. They mentioned that it was a 'stock issue' and claimed they didn't get as many as they expected, as well as tried to imply that I didn't order from them. They offered me 25% of the item price if I bought a fulfilled by amazon copy (which are currently well over $300 for an $80 game) and $10 in credit. And while I can appreciate that since it's not like there's much else the rep can do, I still don't think it makes the entire thing acceptable. Especially not when I hear cases of people getting $100 in credit or having Amazon pay the difference in price.

As for implying that I didn't buy from them, this is exactly what the email said. Someone tell me if I'm reading this wrong:

In this case, I've checked your order and see that you have placed the order from " Sold and shipped by Amazon" which was out of stock and we were expecting the item to be in stock within few days.

***However, I see that the item was back in stock by from sellers on our website but not from " sold and shipped by Amazon ". This is the reason why we were unable to fulfill your order.

Overall, I'm just pissed off at the entire ordeal. I expected better from Amazon. I've already emailed them back about the fact they had apparently gotten other copies (with image proof). If nothing comes from that, I'm either going to call or start a chat.

Edit: Also, I realize this is the most benign and entitled thing to post. It's just something that bothers me. Especially since I spent the last couple of weeks getting hyped up.
empath

Postby empath » 03 Mar 2016, 07:40

If you DIDN'T get worked up about this "most benign and entitled thing", then something that SHOULD work smoothly, equitably and fairly would NOT - it's the 'little noises' that need to be checked and worked on BEFORE they become worse and worse (I've been experiencing this as working as a cabbie these past six months - let the broker know about a squeak now, and he ends up taking an hour or two to replace the worn down brake pads, when if I'd left it, and the pads wore out completely, he'd end up having to work on the callipers and rotors and maybe replace more parts and the cab would be off the road for a full day)

But the fact of the matter is: Amazon didn't work properly here, regardless of how 'minor' the mistake was. If Amazon wants to be 'the #1 digital vendor' then they want to have a reputation that's unassailable - they don't want word-of-mouth spreading like 'yeah, usually they're great, but every once in a blue moon they'll just bork your order and your S.O.L.'

So a) it's good that you're taking them to task on this - worry about the little things before they become big things ;) - and b) it's also good spread word of this to others (and c) this is EXACTLY what this thread is for, regardless of how "entitled" things get)
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 03 Mar 2016, 09:21

Yet another friend of mine has just died, this one aged just a year older than me. That makes three in eight months, which takes a bit of getting used to for a man in his early twenties. I'm not... broken, but it's not fun.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 Mar 2016, 04:17

The reason I never mustered the enthusiasm to start Youtube video talkiness is that it feels like with gaming, you beat a dead horse.
New Pokemon games announced. Of course people are making videos based on unconfirmed stuff or a short statement and spins it into a long video.

Or outside of gaming you have videos that ask a question, where the answer should just be "No." and not a 10 minute video discussing it.

Return to “General Discussion”