Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Phailhammer » 17 Sep 2013, 05:02

It was a train, rather than a bus. I knew I was too late when I saw the flashing orange lights above the doors. Its not my usual train, but its nice to get out of the city before 8 on Tuesday when I can; I just left a bit later than I should have.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 17 Sep 2013, 05:03

It was a train, rather than a bus. I knew I was too late when I saw the flashing orange lights above the doors. Its not my usual train, but its nice to get out of the city before 8 on Tuesday when I can.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Psycat Aurora
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Psycat Aurora » 17 Sep 2013, 07:39

I just hate everything so much right now, I can't even think straight today. You know when you're having a horrible time, then on top of everything else, multiple people come along and start bragging about how great everything is because they all got that opportunity that you really wanted and didn't get? And all the encouragement they get from everyone else while you just sit there ignored like an idiot just makes you seethe with resentment? Yeah, that's me today.
Deviantart: Psycat-Aurora
Instagram: @psycataurora
Tumblr: Psycat Aurora
Twitter: @Psycat_Aurora
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Sep 2013, 07:59

Looks familiar?

See https://learners.gllm.ac.uk/forms/LPlogin.aspx

I can't believe my college has gotten away with that.

Sadly it's not an educational version of Portal. It's my college's student portal.
(WHY IS STUDENT NOT USED ANYMORE? WHY IS IT LEARNER?)
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 17 Sep 2013, 13:17

Well, IF they are paying VALVe licensing fees (and Gabe agrees to it) your college could be doing this legally.

That bearded chap from Occam might have something to say about the odds of this happening, tho...
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Sep 2013, 13:36

Since my College forbids me from visiting the campus where hairdressing is taught (high number of female students) on the basis on the course I am on (plumbing. Blokey course), I have little empathy for the college.
empath

Postby empath » 17 Sep 2013, 13:48

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Since my College forbids me from visiting the campus where hairdressing is taught (high number of female students) on the basis on the course I am on (plumbing. Blokey course), I have little empathy for the college.

Verily, upon being informed of this particular circumstance, I must state that my opinion about the place of your higher education is congruent with yours.

tl;dr - dude, you're right - your school's a dick.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Sep 2013, 14:36

Yes, in the past, the plumber learners have been sex pests. Therefore all plumber learners in the future are also sex pests.

Also, we were told to 'avoid interacting' with the overseas students, due to last year's problems with racism.

College of Fun.
empath

Postby empath » 17 Sep 2013, 15:05

Right, so in the unlikely event that I need to hire a plumber in your area, and (assuming) he has been in business longer than you, I should be ready to clock him when he says sexist, racist or other intolerably offensive things.

Faith in humanity returning to its default value... :|
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 17 Sep 2013, 15:44

I hate that too! Bus drivers can defnitely tell you're running and still drive away. Maybe they are trained that way? It just happens all the time! (and most of the time they also skip stops!)
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 17 Sep 2013, 16:20

Frustrating coworker vent that has been a long time coming.

This client has a disability, yes. The nature of his disability is such that he needs support from us, the workers, transferring him in and out of bed, having a shower, cooking meals, things like that.

His decision-making is not impaired, and he is an adult man. This means that it is not your place to confiscate cigarettes that he purchased with his own money (however much you disapprove of him smoking; it's a decision that he has made for himself), or to tell him he can't go to the pub without supervision (he has gone to the pub without supervision many times; it is even mentioned in his support plan that he can and will do this independently because it's a thing he likes to do - you know, like countless other adult men out there in the world).

That's not even touching the way that you speak to him and about him, which is difficult to convey in text. Needless to say, it's entirely possible to express information like "He's out with some friends" in a way that is not incredibly patronizing, so why do you keep being patronizing?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 17 Sep 2013, 21:51

Hey brain. Thanks for being stupid. I went to bed at 9, maybe 10pm because I was a bit tired. And then I woke at 1am. I kept trying to go back to sleep, and here it is 50 minutes later. I decided to just stay awake for a bit.
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 17 Sep 2013, 23:27

I didn't make my school's improv team. I know I probably wasn't good enough, but I really, really wanted it...

Sigh. It's going to be torture knowing that they're rehearsing just 50 feet away from me every night.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Hepheastus
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Postby Hepheastus » 18 Sep 2013, 04:00

Duckay wrote:Frustrating coworker vent that has been a long time coming.

This client has a disability, yes. The nature of his disability is such that he needs support from us, the workers, transferring him in and out of bed, having a shower, cooking meals, things like that.

His decision-making is not impaired, and he is an adult man. This means that it is not your place to confiscate cigarettes that he purchased with his own money (however much you disapprove of him smoking; it's a decision that he has made for himself), or to tell him he can't go to the pub without supervision (he has gone to the pub without supervision many times; it is even mentioned in his support plan that he can and will do this independently because it's a thing he likes to do - you know, like countless other adult men out there in the world).

That's not even touching the way that you speak to him and about him, which is difficult to convey in text. Needless to say, it's entirely possible to express information like "He's out with some friends" in a way that is not incredibly patronizing, so why do you keep being patronizing?

Sadly I don't find this surprising at all, at least based on my own experience of carers
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 18 Sep 2013, 11:43

It's not exactly something new I've seen (I've seen a lot of coworkers using that same condescending tone of voice), but this woman just keeps going and going. She's certainly the one I've seen most dedicated to her ridiculous approach.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Sep 2013, 14:28

Yes mum, I know I shouldn't be up this late.
But I really want to masterbate before I go to bed. And the fact you keep coming into my room to tell me to go to bed, isn't speeding things up.

#firstworldproblems
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 18 Sep 2013, 17:10

I'm usually a very optimistic kind of person but today.... boy, did today suck! So far, work sucked, french class kind of sucked, seminaire sucked (big time)... Craptastic! The only thing that could cheer me up is a cup of hot chocolate and cuddles from my bf :P
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 18 Sep 2013, 18:05

Duckay wrote:Frustrating coworker vent that has been a long time coming.

Just from that, it seems that this person is infringing upon your client's right to autonomy. That is a bit of a no-no in med and I would assume that it is equally regarding in caring. I can understand that when you care for a client one becomes more invested, which is good but being patronizing and domineering almost is stepping over the confines of their role, me thinks.

Then again, this is an opinion and may have just made an arse of myself, either being wrong or besides the point. But it's good to make mistakes as that is how we learn.
Last edited by ZePancakes on 18 Sep 2013, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 18 Sep 2013, 20:36

Kindly do not treat me as an extension of yourself, mother. I am my own person, and just because I don't want to do something the instant you suggest it does not mean that I am lazy or rebellious.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 18 Sep 2013, 23:35

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Yes mum, I know I shouldn't be up this late.
But I really want to masterbate before I go to bed. And the fact you keep coming into my room to tell me to go to bed, isn't speeding things up.

#firstworldproblems

That is genuinely the funniest thing I've seen all week. I'm sorry LRR, that includes Monday's sketch
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
empath

Postby empath » 19 Sep 2013, 05:44

Okay, trivial, First-World, grammar rant follows. (but hey, this IS the place for it ;) )

So I've got Crosswords DS for my DSi, and I've taken the habit of keeping it next to the toilet to...well, pass the time. (small crosswords only take a minute or two to complete - perfect :) )

ANYWAYS, this morning I was 'doing a crossword', and I got "major musical work" - four letters.

:|

No.

No, Nuevo Retro Games, it's NOT "OPUS"; that is just "a musical work"; the term you're misunderstanding is magnum opus

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 20 Sep 2013, 08:12

Up until yesterday, I had a student loan prepared for my final year of university. I also had procured a house to live in for the duration of it, and I could see my timetable with all of my pre-selected options and such on the university intranet.

Today, I received word that because I failed resubmissions that I had no idea existed, that final year no longer exists and I am to be awarded a certificate of higher education only and withdrawn from my course entirely. I will not be allowed that house, my loan must be rescinded, and everything I spent all summer working toward and planning for has evaporated in the course of a phone-call where I was, despite apparently being helped, repeatedly told I had failed.

I did not learn of this because the board phoned me after their decision almost a week ago, or because I received an email notification of it to my official university account, I learned this because the accommodation office phoned me to confirm if I would be attending or not.

Apparently my only option now is to assemble all the information I was given for my resubmissions and submit it for review to demonstrate that the information I was given was insufficient to properly inform me of my necessary work, but it is highly unlikely I will be able to do so and have things straightened out before term starts, in just over a week from now.

I want to kill someone and I'm not sure the law would stop me doing it.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 20 Sep 2013, 08:31

I ended up in a very similar situation last year, Lying. Take a breather, but then fight it. Fight the decision, it can be done.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Sep 2013, 09:00

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Yes, in the past, the plumber learners have been sex pests. Therefore all plumber learners in the future are also sex pests.
-----
College of Fun.

Just realised. Because I am bisexual, does that mean I should be banned from going new my own course building too?
Just because I might be a sexpest to the men there?
Or future bisexual/homosexual male plumbers will be banned based on the sexual terror I am apparently capable of doing?
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 20 Sep 2013, 10:03

I'm really tired. I had four hours sleep last night, not much the night before, and I have been all go this week. A minimum of four hours rehearsal a day, and, generally speaking, another four-six hours of other stuff on top of that. This other stuff has included secondary rehearsals, meetings, auditions, and day-job work. Then add in Subway rides between these things, at least another three hours. I am really tired, and in ten minutes I head off to another rehearsal. After that, I promised to make an appearance at a drinks thing and do some socializing. But unless I get a nap, I don't know I'll have it in me. It's 2PM, I've already been awake ten hours, and the drinks start at 10PM.

I'm really glad I'm busy, I'm glad I'm doing stuff that's furthering my career and getting me money, but I'm exhausted, and today I feel like I just can't please everyone.

What's more annoying is that the Academy Company have been whining about all the hard work they've been putting in. I wanted to be in the Academy Company, but it was decided that I didn't fit in the same casting pool as these actors. Not because of talent (a couple of them are real hacks), but because of casting niggles. I can cope with all this, and I'm mostly pleased with the way things have turned out. But some of the company members are so entitled it makes me nauseous. They grump and moan about the hardships of their six hour days, and trying to schedule their life around it.

My day to day is juggling rehearsals, prep work, auditions, day-jobs, writing, classes, and about a half-dozen other things. All of which seem to want to happen at different times everyday. I was speaking to someone yesterday, and tried to remember what I did on Monday, and it honestly took me fifteen minutes to remember what it was I did because it felt like so long ago. And these guys gripe and strut because of 6-8 hours a day? Which is consistently between 8AM and 8PM? Please. Try doing what I do in a day, your head would probably explode. I know mine is trying to at the moment.

I'm glad we have this thread.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.

Return to “General Discussion”