Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Robo4900 » 14 Mar 2016, 15:24

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Or outside of gaming you have videos that ask a question, where the answer should just be "No." and not a 10 minute video discussing it.

That itself could be a pretty entertaining video series -- a complex question with a simple yes or no answer. Logistically quite easy to make aswell, just organise two seconds to stand in front of a camera/webcam and say "Yes" or "No"
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Mar 2016, 20:44

After the crap that went down in Chat today... I wonder if we've lost 2 Mods...
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 14 Mar 2016, 22:02

I haven't been able to watch any streams for a while now... what happened? :O
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Mar 2016, 22:13

Anubis and I were, in two separate events, treated pretty poorly by Chat. :-|

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 14 Mar 2016, 22:18

Oh, sorry to hear that. =/
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Mar 2016, 04:33

Spotify

When you listen to an album.

There are two songs that lead into each other satisfyingly.

But Spotify decides to insert an adverts between the two songs. Therefore that really awesome transition is killed.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 16 Mar 2016, 15:01

So... it's mid-March, Britain - the budget happened. And the usual unsurprising awfulness from a ruined economy and a widening class divide.

Oh yeah, and the part about giving HMRC powers to record and store information on people making online purchases. Information including name, address, national insurance number, exact nature of purchase, adverts clicked on whilst on website. Information that can now also be sold to companies. At an estimated cost to the taxpayer over the next five years of £285million.

We're paying for the right for our government to invade our privacy and sell it back to companies for targeted advertising.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 17 Mar 2016, 06:17

And longer school hours. Because apparently we aren't working children hard enough...
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Mar 2016, 06:28

They'll never get a chance to get a part time job to prepare for the future where jobs want job experience and not qualifications.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 17 Mar 2016, 08:58

Robo4900 wrote:And longer school hours. Because apparently we aren't working children hard enough...

Nor, it seems, are we working teachers hard enough. They already have to work an additional unpaid two or three hours per day for marking & lesson prep.
bv310
First Video: EVERYTHING IS FINE

Postby bv310 » 17 Mar 2016, 19:03

I taught in the UK two years ago. I was seriously considering going back because of how much I loved the people and country, but I just can't do that to myself. I have had my issues with where I teach now, but at least I'm not going to be actively worked to death here. I feel horrible for anyone going in to teaching now. Between extended hours and the lack of teachers, it's going to be miserable.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Mar 2016, 06:34

I'm going to train to be an English teacher for speakers of other languages.
Hopefully Spain will be a better place to work than Britain. I presume the long working hours in Spain is cultural and not enforced by the government.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Mar 2016, 08:05

Doesn't Spain traditionally have long working hours due to the Siesta basically cutting the day in two? So it's the same 8h work day, just arranged differently.

I have no real idea, just something I vaguely remember hearing.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Mar 2016, 13:15

Maybe it's the tourist industries that have to cater to drunken Brits.
wondermoo
First Video: desert bus 5

Postby wondermoo » 20 Mar 2016, 08:23

Watching some of the VOD's of this past week make me feel like if I ever catch a live stream I'll need to have chat closed for my own sanity :(
bv310
First Video: EVERYTHING IS FINE

Postby bv310 » 20 Mar 2016, 10:47

99% of the time it's awesome in there. Usually only one or two spots where people get to be chunguses. This week it happened to be in interactions with more prominent names, so it was really visible.
Nex Vesica
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Postby Nex Vesica » 21 Mar 2016, 16:54

bv310 wrote:99% of the time it's awesome in there. Usually only one or two spots where people get to be chunguses. This week it happened to be in interactions with more prominent names, so it was really visible.

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but I really don't agree. Compared to other channels, I think LRR chat is really good. We have a very active and fair mod team, and a lot of the regular users are great. And really, the calls of "LRR chat is best chat" speak to the strength of those individuals, because it pretty much all stems from them. But honestly, I've felt uncomfortable in chat for a few months now, and more often than not I'll keep it closed until the streamer comments on something that seems interesting/safe enough to open it back up. I know I'm not the only one who does it, and I also know that there have been new people to chat that ended up leaving (though hopefully still watching the stream) because of the way things were going in chat. IT definitely isn't just a case of streaming a popular game and getting rando's either. Honestly, the rando's don't do much damage to the chat, because they tend to get themselves banned or timed out shortly after making their presence known. It also just seems to be spilling over more and isn't just limited to that one particular stream.

I've actually started writing posts about it before, but never followed through with posting for fear of being crucified. I also really have no idea what to possibly suggest to fix it, especially without sounding insulting. I really can't stress how many good chat regulars we have that really do make it a good place. And a lot of the time it is really good, but definitely not 99% of the time, and it's more than just one or two people that stir up trouble. What really sucks is sometimes just closing chat isn't enough, because it spills over to the streamer and just sours the overall mood of the stream.
I wrote a story! It can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01521SQ70/ref ... le_ext_tmb

I also wrote another one! It can be found at http://amzn.to/1pYDokF
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Mar 2016, 17:17

If you want, you could probably send a PM to one of the Mods, expressing what you want to say without fear of judgment. :-)

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 21 Mar 2016, 17:51

I don't get to watch live a lot, so I rarely get involved with the chat, and don't tend to have it up for VODs (cause I'm usually doing other things while watching anyway), but I can think of 1 or 2 people who, when they're active, tend to bring the mood down. But it's not really anything the mods can do. They aren't breaking any rules, and really, aren't doing anything wrong. They're just being a bit contrarian, or a bit blunt. And I can't really fault someone for just having a personality that doesn't quite match the mood of the chat, or being in an odd mood, or whatever.

The mods are great, and pretty quick to spot anyone with actual malicious intent.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 21 Mar 2016, 20:23

Nex Vesica wrote:I've actually started writing posts about it before, but never followed through with posting for fear of being crucified.

I understand.

What I can say (and this goes not just for you, but for anyone) is that if you have any concerns about anything in the Twitch chat, no matter how big or small, and you don't want to bring it up publicly, then feel free to shoot me a PM. Or you could try sending a message on Twitch, but I can't guarantee if I'll see it there.

And I doubt I'm stretching if I say the same is probably true for all the other chat mods, too, if you'd prefer to talk to someone else.

(Which is not to say I'm pressuring you, personally, to tell me your concerns, if you don't want to. Just that if you do want to... then that's an option.)
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Mar 2016, 01:57

I mean, heck... There are times that I step back and don't say things, for fear of being crucified. And I'm one of the mods... I wield power (hopefully judiciously) and I still sometimes fear the mob mentality.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Mar 2016, 01:57

I mean, heck... There are times that I step back and don't say things, for fear of being crucified. And I'm one of the mods... I wield power (hopefully judiciously) and I still sometimes fear the mob mentality.

Trippzen
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Trippzen » 22 Mar 2016, 06:55

I don't know if this is really the place to bring it up since it might be a contentious topic, but I'm really, really tired of the general paranoia surrounding every advancement in robotics, primarily on the internet. It feels like a whole lot of people have watched too many sci-fi movies and they've wound up thinking that they're non-fiction. It feels like it's not just stupid memes about Skynet anymore and instead its a lot of people who, to me, seem irrationally paranoid that robots - made by humans with infinitely more expertise than random persons on the internet - are going to spontaneously decide that every human on Earth needs to die and that the only possible outcome is some weird mixture of every post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie. It's like bad fan-fiction. It feels like large segments of the internet are gathering under giant tinfoil umbrellas. Some of it even feels like the kind of anti-scientific thought that I would expect from people living in previous centuries.

Thankfully, this isn't everywhere. There are people I can and do talk to who don't feel that way, some who are as optimistic or excited about robotics as I am, others who are more cautious. I also tell myself that I can remain hopeful because it doesn't seem like the irrational fear is being coddled, more so it feels like it's being ignored.

On the chat topic: I've stopped watching all of Cam's, most of Adam's, and some of Alex's streams in part because of the chat but also the way different streamers will respond to it, and chat will also vary to some degree depending on the game being played of course. I watch a fair number of the replays on Youtube as well and there are some that I'll just skip entirely. It's especially weird on a Youtube replay because the chat is often not on screen, thankfully. I often don't say anything either not just for fear of being crucified but also because I don't want to start a terrible, protracted debate on it. I certainly don't know a good solution either.
Trippzen or Scy
Battle.net: Scy#1617
WoW: Scy (US-Proudmoore)
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 22 Mar 2016, 08:13

Terrorists attacked Zaventem airport and a metro station in Brussels this morning... sigh...
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 22 Mar 2016, 11:35

Every time my mother visits I end up crying.

Return to “General Discussion”